2019-2020 Central Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The last 3 days have been pretty slow, but I anticipate things to pick up early next week. Those who got offers 4/29-30 got 14 days to make a decision (per AAMC protocols) and those who got offers on 5/1 and beyond get a minimum of 5 days. All of those deadlines will occur at various times next week. That will be the general rhythm to this ebb and flow dance where the earlier, stronger waves will give way to the lesser, and then the ripples for the next 4-6 weeks.
 
Hello @REL , thank you so much for the info! Do you anticipate that you will get through the lower half of the top 1/3 of waitlist applicants? I am not sure about last years waitlist, but this year there are ~ 260 students, and MSAR lists the usual waitlist number at 220. Will this make a difference?
 
Hello @REL , thank you so much for the info! Do you anticipate that you will get through the lower half of the top 1/3 of waitlist applicants? I am not sure about last years waitlist, but this year there are ~ 260 students, and MSAR lists the usual waitlist number at 220. Will this make a difference?
Yes, I have every expectation of getting into the middle 1/3 in both the in-state and out-of-state lists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got in two days ago. 🙂 Was in the upper half of middle 1/3 for OOS. It was tough not knowing if I’d have to reapply or not, so I understand you guys are anxious too—good luck to those still waiting!

This is amazing news congratulations! As someone who is on the upper half of the middle 1/3 for in-state, I am excited that the wait-list seems to be moving along!
 
For current students, how tailored is the curriculum to STEP 1 studying (regardless of scored or P/F)? Also, are you able to just use BnB/Pathoma/FA/Sketchy, etc etc. to study for the in-class exams. Or do you need to watch the class lectures/do the class reading/etc to do well?
 
current applicant deciding where to apply. I was wondering why accepted students chose this school over other fl schools and if you are concerned about the step p/f change, graded preclinicals, and the loss of hospital affiliations if you are hoping for a more competitive specialty. I really like the vibe of this school but want to ensure I will still have opportunities. Any and all opinions will help, feel free to dm if you would rather!
 
current applicant deciding where to apply. I was wondering why accepted students chose this school over other fl schools and if you are concerned about the step p/f change, graded preclinicals, and the loss of hospital affiliations if you are hoping for a more competitive specialty. I really like the vibe of this school but want to ensure I will still have opportunities. Any and all opinions will help, feel free to dm if you would rather!
It was announced that Dean German is planning on regaining UCFs hospital affiliations, so I wouldn’t really worry about that. From what current students say, half end up getting A’s on exams and the other half gets Bs. If you thinking you can be in the 50th percentile of your class, straight As should be fairly attainable. Would also offer another metric for residency PDs too. Its also my hometown school and one of the cheapest in the nation.
 
current applicant deciding where to apply. I was wondering why accepted students chose this school over other fl schools and if you are concerned about the step p/f change, graded preclinicals, and the loss of hospital affiliations if you are hoping for a more competitive specialty. I really like the vibe of this school but want to ensure I will still have opportunities. Any and all opinions will help, feel free to dm if you would rather!
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy adcom (I'm a premed just like you), why not just apply if you think you might like the vibe, and worry about choosing where to attend next year after you know what your options are? The odds are very high that at any particular school, including UCF, you will have absolutely nothing to worry about, based on how many are accepted as compared to how many apply. 🙂

By the way, you are asking absolutely the right questions, but, believe me, it is very premature given where you are in the process and how difficult it is to score a single A at any of these schools. If UCF is your only A next year, is the answer going to matter? Same for USF. Only 20% out of 50,000 who apply have the luxury of choosing between options. No need to worry about it before you even submit a primary. We all cast a wide net and worry about such things next spring, if they are actually relevant at that time.
 
Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy adcom (I'm a premed just like you), why not just apply if you think you might like the vibe, and worry about choosing where to attend next year after you know what your options are? The odds are very high that at any particular school, including UCF, you will have absolutely nothing to worry about, based on how many are accepted as compared to how many apply. 🙂

By the way, you are asking absolutely the right questions, but, believe me, it is very premature given where you are in the process and how difficult it is to score a single A at any of these schools. If UCF is your only A next year, is the answer going to matter? Same for USF. Only 20% out of 50,000 who apply have the luxury of choosing between options. No need to worry about it before you even submit a primary. We all cast a wide net and worry about such things next spring, if they are actually relevant at that time.

Don’t think it’s “very premature” to gain information as you start your cycle. You yourself have been asking and attempting to answer questions years in advance of applying, let alone matriculating.
 
Don’t think it’s “very premature” to gain information as you start your cycle. You yourself have been asking and attempting to answer questions years in advance of applying, let alone matriculating.
Busted! But, to be fair, I am not soliciting reasons from matriculants as to why they made their decisions in spite of some negatives. You are correct that I have been trying to get more information regarding the negatives, which OP has correctly identified based on his/her reading posts. I haven't, and wouldn't frame questions like this unless and until I have decisions to make, at which time I'm sure I'd do a X vs. Y post.

I wouldn't not apply to USF based on the SOAP issue, and wouldn't not apply to UCF based on what's happening with HCA, Orlando Health and Advent, so I think it would be premature for me to ask people going to either of them next year why they are doing so in light of these issues until I know what my options are, even though, yes, I am aware of the issues when applying just like everyone was last year with UCF, and will be this year with USF. At this point, I have no way to know whether or not I will have a better option, so any matriculant's response one way or the way would not influence my decision to apply.
 
Last edited:
For current students, how tailored is the curriculum to STEP 1 studying (regardless of scored or P/F)? Also, are you able to just use BnB/Pathoma/FA/Sketchy, etc etc. to study for the in-class exams. Or do you need to watch the class lectures/do the class reading/etc to do well?
Our curriculum is very STEP oriented in that I have largely been using Anki, 3rd party resources (BnB, Pathoma, etc) and that has served me well in learning and doing well on exams (A's/B's). That being said, moving forward with a P/F Step 1, idk how much that is going to impact the nature of step prep and or the curriculum. But for now, alot of our exams focus on high yield principles with a few detail questions sprinkled in for the sake of differentiation. Our exam averages are consistently mid to high 80's.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Our curriculum is very STEP oriented in that I have largely been using Anki, 3rd party resources (BnB, Pathoma, etc) and that has served me well in learning and doing well on exams (A's/B's). That being said, moving forward with a P/F Step 1, idk how much that is going to impact the nature of step prep and or the curriculum. But for now, alot of our exams focus on high yield principles with a few detail questions sprinkled in for the sake of differentiation. Our exam averages are consistently mid to high 80's.
Thanks for the response, this is exactly what i was looking for! So, in order to get that extra percentage (A's (90s)) would you say that in-class material is still required, compared to completely forgoing in-class material?
 
Thanks for the response, this is exactly what i was looking for! So, in order to get that extra percentage (A's (90s)) would you say that in-class material is still required, compared to completely forgoing in-class material?
I know people who get A's studying strictly from 3rd party resources. The general rule of thumb is to at least look over the powerpoints/school provided materials once or twice prior to the exam to get those little tid bits of "random" material but even still I am prone to making dumb mistakes on exams so thats generally where I will lose points. If you want to shoot for the best grades possible, I think finding a nice median between in house resources and step prep resources is necessary. For the first block, which is biochem/med genetics (HB-1) i really only used school lectures/materials and thats largely what you are tested on but everything after that you can start to incorporate 3rd party stuff!
 
@djsbaseball2014 @REL What kind of laptop is provided for matriculants? Also, are the required medical instruments (Doctor’s Bag) a part of tuition or a seperate payment we have to male? Thanks!
I'm not sure the exact specs on it, you can email student affairs or ask on the facebook page, theres a few of my classmates on there who might know more. But from just looking at my laptop, its a Dell Latitude 7400 I5. We also got an Ipad mini with an apple pencil that you can use. As far as the doctor bag goes, I believe it is a separate payment you make. I didnt purchase the doctor bag, as the clinical skills center as most of the things you will use, I just bought my own stethoscope and pen light.
 
I know people who get A's studying strictly from 3rd party resources. The general rule of thumb is to at least look over the powerpoints/school provided materials once or twice prior to the exam to get those little tid bits of "random" material but even still I am prone to making dumb mistakes on exams so thats generally where I will lose points. If you want to shoot for the best grades possible, I think finding a nice median between in house resources and step prep resources is necessary. For the first block, which is biochem/med genetics (HB-1) i really only used school lectures/materials and thats largely what you are tested on but everything after that you can start to incorporate 3rd party stuff!
Alright, damn this info is clutch, I appreciate your advice thanks so much again!
 
Movement has been slow, mostly non-FL right now. Almost half of our class has CTE'd here (about 2/3 are FL). We have another ~40 who have PTE'd and I do think that most will stay. The remaining ~20 have made no decision either way. I do expect a few more seats to change, some will be FL. Recent history does show that movement does seem to grind to a halt in the final days of June.
 
Movement has been slow, mostly non-FL right now. Almost half of our class has CTE'd here (about 2/3 are FL). We have another ~40 who have PTE'd and I do think that most will stay. The remaining ~20 have made no decision either way. I do expect a few more seats to change, some will be FL. Recent history does show that movement does seem to grind to a halt in the final days of June.
@REL thank you so much for keeping us updated and for everything you do!
 
@REL for those 20 who have not made a decision either way, are they applicants who have been accepted off the waitlist and were given the 5 days to respond? Also is there a deadline that UCF will set for them to make that decision?

Once again I agree with Gatorbait97 and wish to thank you for being so transparent with us through this application cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL for those 20 who have not made a decision either way, are they applicants who have been accepted off the waitlist and were given the 5 days to respond? Also is there a deadline that UCF will set for them to make that decision?

Once again I agree with Gatorbait97 and wish to thank you for being so transparent with us through this application cycle.
We dont set a PTE date so the only date that we force is the CTE set for June 26. Those 20 have not selected a PTE to another program and likely do not have another acceptance, but they could. Also it is possible for any of the ~40 that have PTE to us to gain an acceptance that they prefer and WD. There are lots of possibilities so there will be some more movement. The past showed that movement slows as we progress toward the end of the month and our CTE date.
 
@REL hi REL, I have a situation that could really use your advice. I’m accepted to a DO (osteopathic) school that starts on June 16th and am currently on the WL here at UCF. If I matriculate into the DO school and begin attending classes (planning as if I don’t get into UCF), does that withdraw my seat from your program? What if I get an acceptance from UCF after already starting the DO school, could I drop the DO school and choose to attend your program?
 
@REL hi REL, I have a situation that could really use your advice. I’m accepted to a DO (osteopathic) school that starts on June 16th and am currently on the WL here at UCF. If I matriculate into the DO school and begin attending classes (planning as if I don’t get into UCF), does that withdraw my seat from your program? What if I get an acceptance from UCF after already starting the DO school, could I drop the DO school and choose to attend your program?
DO and MD programs are completely separate organizations and do not share any data or have any linkages; CYMS only pertains to MD programs. Neither program would know if you have been accepted/matriculated into the other systems medical school program. I guess the only question you would have is personal ethics and expenses that you may have incurred related to tuition, housing, etc. at the DO program.
 
DO and MD programs are completely separate organizations and do not share any data or have any linkages; CYMS only pertains to MD programs. Neither program would know if you have been accepted/matriculated into the other systems medical school program. I guess the only question you would have is personal ethics and expenses that you may have incurred related to tuition, housing, etc. at the DO program.
Thank you so much, I will take all of this into consideration. I'll wait a little long before deciding to take the plunge.