2019-2020 Columbia VP&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year one of the secondary questions was "In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? (400 characters)"

What kinds of activities qualify as ECs- do you think they mean hobbies? I am curious if we should include activities that were semi-academic, but not actually in a class room e.g. lab research, student science clubs etc.

Last year one of the secondary questions was "In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? (400 characters)"

What kinds of activities qualify as ECs- do you think they mean hobbies? I am curious if we should include activities that were semi-academic, but not actually in a class room e.g. lab research, student science clubs etc.

If you don't get credit (or paid) for it, it's extra-curricular. This includes research, sports, clubs, musical ensembles, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't get credit (or paid) for it, it's extra-curricular. This includes research, sports, clubs, musical ensembles, etc.

Is it ok if I basically just repeated my work/activities section? Also is this supposed to be very brief since it's only 400 characters? Like I just had one sentence for each activity where it was like "I worked at ___ where it did ___".

How are we supposed to answer the "anything else you would like us to know" question? Can I use this as a "Why Columbia" essay?

Should this just be a list of ECs? Like "I did X, Y, Z", or should we focus on a few and how they impacted us? "I was involved in X, which helped me ..."?

Should this just be a list of ECs? Like "I did X, Y, Z", or should we focus on a few and how they impacted us? "I was involved in X, which helped me ..."?

I think I just did a list. 400 characters is not much space!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anybody applying into Basset?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you apply to
Both?

This is from the Columbia-Basset site FAQ

Can I apply to both the "all New York City" and the Columbia-Bassett Track and decide which I prefer later?
Yes, of course. You need fill out only one application. Indicate selection of the Columbia-Bassett choice and answer the question specifically related thereto. We suggest you eventually express a preference for one over the other - we think it unlikely that a student would see the two as indistinguishable. Nevertheless, students who are not selected for admission to the Columbia-Bassett program are automatically still considered at the New York City-based program

Last year the MSTP prompt allowed 5000 characters for awards. Even if you have a TON, listing them all would still leave you with tons of room. Are we supposed to describe them in depth?

Also, the MSTP prompt gives you another 5000 characters for "additional information." How is this different from the MD "is there anything else you would like us to know" prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received secondary, it seems as though we have to pick between MD, MD/PhD, Bassett, PhD to MD before viewing the prompts.

Just received secondary, it seems as though we have to pick between MD, MD/PhD/ Bassett, PhD to MD before viewing the prompts.

Can I apply to both the "all New York City" and the Columbia-Bassett Track and decide which I prefer later?
Yes, of course. You need fill out only one application. Indicate selection of the Columbia-Bassett choice and answer the question specifically related thereto. We suggest you eventually express a preference for one over the other - we think it unlikely that a student would see the two as indistinguishable. Nevertheless, students who are not selected for admission to the Columbia-Bassett program are automatically still considered at the New York City-based program

How are we supposed to answer the "anything else you would like us to know" question? Can I use this as a "Why Columbia" essay?

I think when a school has so many other secondaries, I'd leave the "anything else" essay for any pressing information tbh!

I think when a school has so many other secondaries, I'd leave the "anything else" essay for any pressing information tbh!
They don't have that many secondaries though right? Like just one on "complex urban environments".

could someone post the MD prompts?

Reactions: 2 users
Just received a secondary. MD prompts (below) don't have word limits—how much are you all writing?

---

What were/are your undergraduate major(s) and minor(s)?
Please select one of the options below that best describe your major.
Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.)
Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc)
Social sciences/humanities (sociology, economics, English, etc)
Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.)
All Others (including double majors and mixed disciplines)

If your name is often mispronounced, how do you pronounce it? What is your preferred name?

Have you previously applied to Medical School?
Yes or No

If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so.

Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer?
Yes or No

If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work?

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim.

Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions.

Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

Is there anything else you would like us to know?

Do you have a parent who graduated from or is affiliated with Columbia University?
Yes or No

Please describe your parents' occupations:

Just received a secondary. MD prompts (below) don't have word limits—how much are you all writing?

---

What were/are your undergraduate major(s) and minor(s)?
Please select one of the options below that best describe your major.
Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.)
Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc)
Social sciences/humanities (sociology, economics, English, etc)
Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.)
All Others (including double majors and mixed disciplines)

If your name is often mispronounced, how do you pronounce it? What is your preferred name?

Have you previously applied to Medical School?
Yes or No

If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so.

Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer?
Yes or No

If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work?

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim.

Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions.

Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

Is there anything else you would like us to know?

Do you have a parent who graduated from or is affiliated with Columbia University?
Yes or No

Please describe your parents' occupations:

Guess I wasted my time writing about urban environments.

• Angry
Reactions: 14 users
I hate that there are no word limits. Do you think they want stories/anecdotes for the leadership positions question, or just a straightforward description of the responsibilities/ skills you gained?

Edit: Also, is a resume fine where they ask for CV? I'm not sure how to put together a CV with minimal research experience.

Last edited:
I hate that there are no word limits. Do you think they want stories/anecdotes for the leadership positions question, or just a straightforward description of the responsibilities/ skills you gained?

Edit: Also, is a resume fine where they ask for CV? I'm not sure how to put together a CV with minimal research experience.

Honestly, I'm gonna go with last year's word limits, more or less. They provide you with just enough space to succinctly answer the prompt without sounding like you're trying to shove too much down their throats.

Less is more.

Is there a prompt for Columbia-Bassett?

Just submitted secondary. It's 2:24am my time... ha ha ha aaa

No urban environments! Wow!

Also, +2 Secondary received overnight

Anyone else having trouble logging on? I requested a password but haven't gotten an email to retrieve it

Edit: Never mind it came through, just takes a while

Last edited:

I think in the past resume was fine... anyone confirm this?

Also: should everything be on my resume!? In the past, I always kept it to one page but idk if I should include everything and make it longer?

Is there any character/word limit for the essays?

FYI, when I see the application essays, the majority of them DO have a word limit (300 words). Not sure if they fixed their system just now, but here are the word counts I see:
  • If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)
  • Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)
  • If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (no word limit?)
  • Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)
  • Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)
  • Is there anything else you would like us to know? (300 words)

Reactions: 6 users
FYI, when I see the application essays, the majority of them DO have a word limit (300 words). Not sure if they fixed their system just now, but here are the word counts I see:
  • If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)
  • Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer? If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work? (300 words)
  • If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (no word limit?)
  • Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)
Oh please be true... I can't stand no word limits.

Did you see any optional questions on this year's secondary regarding Columbia-bassett?

+1, looks like they fixed it

+1, looks like they fixed it

I submitted before they fixed it...will they cut my responses down?

Edit: Just checked and they let it slide. Perks of submitting early I guess haha

Edit 2: JK, not a perk. Just called admissions and they strongly recommended that I upload the condensed versions as supplementary files in case the original responses are cut short.

Last edited:
Did you see any optional questions on this year's secondary regarding Columbia-bassett?

I didn't choose the Columbia-Bassett program so I didn't see anything? I assume if there were essays, they'd appear after you selected the program.

MD/PhD Prompts: (Same as last year but much larger maximums)
What academic honors have you received (e.g., prizes, scholarships, fellowships, honor societies)? (5000 words)
What are your major research interests? (20 words)
PhD Goals (5000 words)
Additional Information (5000 words)

For the leadership question, I only have one real leadership experience from my post-high school years. It was also well defined on my primary application(one of my most meaningful activities) so I'm not sure if there's anything new I can bring to this question. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

For the leadership question, I only have one real leadership experience from my post-high school years. It was also well defined on my primary application(one of my most meaningful activities) so I'm not sure if there's anything new I can bring to this question. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I repeated a lot from my most-meaningful section on that question. I know repetition in secondaries is generally frowned upon, but I just don't see how I can make up an entirely new set of takeaways/lessons when I already made it a point to address this on the primary. Also, in the past, Columbia has asked people to summarize their activities, and even this year they still ask for a CV, which makes me think perhaps the interviewers don't read our primaries all that closely, and the repeated info is ok.

How are you all filling out the "Experiences" section? Is this only for paid work, or would you include volunteering/research/other ECs?

How are you all filling out the "Experiences" section? Is this only for paid work, or would you include volunteering/research/other ECs?

Hmm what experiences section? Not sure i see where that is

Hmm what experiences section? Not sure i see where that is