2019-2020 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I won’t share specific numbers, because the school truly does look at the whole picture and it would be pointless. I will say, I was not a top applicant in my own view and was worried I wouldn’t get in due to poor stats, but I had a post graduate degree, a good amount of direct clinical hours and a few years in the work force before applying. I was waitlisted then was pulled off the waitlist for the following year. During my time on the waitlist, I made sure to stay active, then updating the school with that info. Being active on the waitlist is something I feel is important and volunteering doesn’t stop, even when you get in. As far as questions, I wish I spent more time getting to know my interviewers during my interviews. The school has some amazing faculty who really care about you which is refreshing. Ask about things that are important to you but take the time to find those out, it will come off more genuine, and they can sniff out cookie cutter questions. Whether it’s about clinical rotations, residency preparation, board study or whatever else.
Lastly, if you don’t get in this cycle, don’t fret, continue to work hard like you did to get here and keep trying. It doesn’t get any easier when you do get in, but you can do it. I was personally worried that I would be scraping by based on my undergrad performance, but I’m doing well, way above what I expected and I am involved in a lot of stuff here. So don’t worry, it will work itself out. *I apologize for the grammar/spelling, I’m working on just an hour of sleep and an small phone. Direct message if you have anything more specific. I will also say, I’ve seen a few post that are defaming but I want to clear up, the school faculty has been amazing and they really try to make our lives better via mental health and accommodations. Dean Cannon has hand delivered pizza to us when school was canceled for a tornado while we were stuck there studying and Dr Fadel is amazing to talk too. Every faculty has open door and Is more than willing to help if you ask and some will even become your friends.
Thank you so much!! This was a genuinely amazing response. Hopefully, you can sleep now. I think my big fear about stats comes from the in region bias and the fact that I live in the Midwest not south. There has been a lot of chatter about how the Carolinas campus has run into issues being a satellite location to Virginia. But from what you say, the staff have created their own atmosphere and community. Someone also brought up how pre-testing for Step one and two was different at VCOM as compared to other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much!! This was a genuinely amazing response. Hopefully, you can sleep now. I think my big fear about stats comes from the in region bias and the fact that I live in the Midwest not south. There has been a lot of chatter about how the Carolinas campus has run into issues being a satellite location to Virginia. But from what you say, the staff have created their own atmosphere and community. Someone also brought up how pre-testing for Step one and two was different at VCOM as compared to other schools.

I can not speak on the pre-testing (COMSAE). Honestly, it doesn’t feel like a satellite school either, but more of its own place. We barely hear about the VA or Auburn campus, except when we go watch their lectures in addition to our own, just to complement ours. I view it as an additional resource that helps us. They aren’t any different than us as far as material and clubs and we have our own complete staff. Don’t worry about the Midwest thing as much, while a target of the school is the SE, there are a lot of students from out west, a few from AZ, the Dakotas, and I think even Alaska. I also lived in the Midwest at one point but highly prefer SC and it’s location over Va and Auburn.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They interview twice a week so I’m assuming it’ll be 14-18 average per week until April

Hey I just saw that VCOM-CC has shut down it's campus, staff and students. There was unfortunately, 1 confirmed case of Corona in Spartanburg. I'm assuming this means no in-person interviews, but I don't know if this will slow everything down overall.

I was offered a virtual interview today. I wonder why I was invited to interview if they are already waitlisting applicants.

Just spoke to someone at work who is a Nurse Practicioner and they told me to avoid South Carolina because there are a lot of "rednecks" who are prejudiced against minorities and women. So my question is, how are 3rd and 4th year students handling clinical rotations? How are your patients and clinical directors? I might withdraw from here because of that reason and as a minority, I feel like I won't be able to succeed if that's the case in South Carolina. I might just accept an offer elsewhere. However, I dont want that to be a reason to give up my seat at VCOM since it's such a good school!

Just spoke to someone at work who is a Nurse Practicioner and they told me to avoid South Carolina because there are a lot of "rednecks" who are prejudiced against minorities and women. So my question is, how are 3rd and 4th year students handling clinical rotations? How are your patients and clinical directors? I might withdraw from here because of that reason and as a minority, I feel like I won't be able to succeed if that's the case in South Carolina. I might just accept an offer elsewhere. However, I dont want that to be a reason to give up my seat at VCOM since it's such a good school!
I personally live in South Carolina and don’t think this is true. I think there are racists and rednecks anywhere you go. I actually work with an AA NP and she is well respected and loved. I am sure some areas of South Carolina are worse than others. I work in the medical field and there are definitely people who are jerks no matter what race. I am not a minority so I can’t speak to this fully.

I interviewed virtually on 3/23. How long normally for a decision. I heard 2 weeks is normal but anyone get accepted before that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed virtually on 3/23. How long normally for a decision. I heard 2 weeks is normal but anyone get accepted before that?
I interviewed 3/9 & got waitlisted 2 days after my interview. Still waiting to hear back after that

I feel this is a pretty rough blanket statement that isn’t true. I grew up here and can say and I’ve seen terrible things in other states that I’ve lived in (especially in the Midwest) and SC doesnt come close to that. We have a large Minority community in this state that needs to have leaders and representation in medicine, plus this will always encourage younger people in those minorities to aspire to be physicians. To say SC is a redneck/racist state isa blanket statement that can apply to every state outside of city/urban districts and it’s not fair. I love the location of the school, close to Charlotte, greenville, Atlanta, mountains and the beach. Plus the town has really opened up and grown nice shops in restaurants in the past few years.

I feel this is a pretty rough blanket statement that isn’t true. I grew up here and can say and I’ve seen terrible things in other states that I’ve lived in (especially in the Midwest) and SC doesnt come close to that. We have a large Minority community in this state that needs to have leaders and representation in medicine, plus this will always encourage younger people in those minorities to aspire to be physicians. To say SC is a redneck/racist state isa blanket statement that can apply to every state outside of city/urban districts and it’s not fair. I love the location of the school, close to Charlotte, greenville, Atlanta, mountains and the beach. Plus the town has really opened up and grown nice shops in restaurants in the past few years.
Thank you for your insight. I have decided to keep my seat at VCOM. I think that anywhere you go, there will always be some degree of prejudice towards any person. Realizing that made me want to make an even bigger impact here

I don’t think that’s true. Most “rednecks” you talk about are actually good people and saying that is actually highly offensive. I never saw any of my classmates who were minority treated any different than myself. No matter where you go your own self worth and identity is created within and yes attendings at all hospital are going to be grumpy and rude sometimes no matter how great they are.

I don’t think that’s true. Most “rednecks” you talk about are actually good people and saying that is actually highly offensive. I never saw any of my classmates who were minority treated any different than myself. No matter where you go your own self worth and identity is created within and yes attendings at all hospital are going to be grumpy and rude sometimes no matter how great they are.

I agree with you 100%. Just to clarify, I left that word in quotations because that’s what I was told verbatim. I spent days before my interview in Spartanburg and that word never crossed my mind. And also I asked that NP later on when was the last time she went to South Carolina and she said “during the 70s” so I just put that part of her opinion of hers in a different perspective

I got waitlisted yesterday. Hope I get the chance of getting accepted soon. Anyone know what those chances look like?

Current first year, if anyone has any questions, ask away.

Also, I saw some chatter about interviewing at one campus but being considered at another campus. I have a few classmates that interviewed at other campuses but was accepted here off the waitlist, if that helps.
Hello I was waitlisted today and would like to ask if there's much of a chance for me to be accepted this cycle. Is there anything I can really do to improve my chances?

just got off the waitlist, considering this school now - maybe, possibly. :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/19/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 10/4/19 submitted (late due to personal emergency) 10/28/19 completed

Interview Invite: 3/20/20

Interview Date: 3/24/20

Waitlist: 4/3/20 (I was told I was in #1 spot on the waitlist)

Acceptance: 4/6/20

Rejected Acceptance: 4/7/20 (due to acceptance at a medical school that was slightly a better fit)

Goodluck all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Primary Completed: 7/31/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 10/4/19 (late due to personal emergency) submitted 10/28/19 completed

Rejected Acceptance: 4/7/20 (due to acceptance at a medical school that was slightly a better fit)

Goodluck all!
How do I find out about waitlist status?

Primary Completed: 7/31/19

Secondary/Application Completed: 10/4/19 (late due to personal emergency) submitted 10/28/19 completed

Goodluck all!
interviewed on the same day, got waitlisted same day and got accepted the same day also hahaha where will you be going if you don't mind me asking

interviewed on the same day, got waitlisted same day and got accepted the same day also hahaha where will you be going if you don't mind me asking
So crazy! Did you accept or are you going to wait it out for some time? I chose Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine as my top from all schools I interviewed at, but I'm waiting on a decision from Howard University College of Medicine (my alma mater).

I was notified by someone in the admissions office. They called me before they sent the email because they didn't want me to freak out and be sad about being waitlisted. They let me know my position and that it was very likely for me to get accepted since so many spots are moving around during this time of the year.

I'm not sure why they decided to do that in my specific case, but I'm happy to give up the seat to someone who is a better fit for the school. It would have been a perfect fit for me about 4 years ago, but ACOM has a better environment for where I am now. VCOM-Carolinas seems awesome and it would've been way closer to home, but it just wasn't the same as ACOM for me (granted, I did a virtual interview with VCOM-Carolinas... and that, unfortunately, is a factor in my connectedness I'm sure).

Reactions: 2 users
So crazy! Did you accept or are you going to wait it out for some time? I chose Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine as my top from all schools I interviewed at, but I'm waiting on a decision from Howard University College of Medicine (my alma mater).
that's awesome! i don't think I'm going to accept. i committed to Kansas city university of medicine and biosciences haha their curriculum i think will prepare me better for boards.

Howard!! i still haven't even gotten an interview from them yet which I'm kinda surprised :( oh well hahaha! good luck! Howard would've been a dream!

I was notified by someone in the admissions office. They called me before they sent the email because they didn't want me to freak out and be sad about being waitlisted. They let me know my position and that it was very likely for me to get accepted since so many spots are moving around during this time of the year.

I'm not sure why they decided to do that in my specific case, but I'm happy to give up the seat to someone who is a better fit for the school. It would have been a perfect fit for me about 4 years ago, but ACOM has a better environment for where I am now. VCOM-Carolinas seems awesome and it would've been way closer to home, but it just wasn't the same as ACOM for me (granted, I did a virtual interview with VCOM-Carolinas... and that, unfortunately, is a factor in my connectedness I'm sure).

yes, WL will be moving around significantly during the april-june months. i did not get the call about the waitlist but at that point i already received acceptances elsewhere so wasn't too concerned but it looks like its moving around quite a bit since me and @mandyads got accepted on the same day off WL.

and virtual interviews will play a factor in more movement as that is also a reason that i may be turning it down. i didn't get to go and get a feel for the school whereas I did for the others.

Hey guys! I just got an interview invite for this upcoming Monday. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect from the virtual interviews? Also, is it true that the campus is full and they are only waitlisting right now?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys! I just got an interview invite for this upcoming Monday. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect from the virtual interviews? Also, is it true that the campus is full and they are only waitlisting right now?

Thanks in advance!
virtual interview was really chill and relaxed. i believe they have 3 1-1s and they're really chill. all my interviews went well then you speak to current students. what i didn't like was that admissions was also on the zoom call for that so it made it difficult to ask questions like -- what didn't you like about the school etc.

i believe it is full however waitlist is moving fast. i was waitlisted on a Friday and received the A on that monday.

Thanks in advance!

My virtual interview was definitely chill and laid back. 3 one-on-one 25 minutes-ish interviews. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. There was a presentation in the beginning and a Q&A with current students at the end. One of my interviewers did tell me that they are only waitlisting at this point, however I was accepted right after my interview (interviewed on a Tuesday, accepted that Friday). So don’t count yourself out! You never know. Just come prepared and be yourself.

I really hate I had to give up my interview spot recently but I am glad it was passed to someone else. I was diagnosed with cancer in the Fall and had to withdrawal from some required courses. They did give me the option to take them but it would have been too much to take by July. Good luck!

• Wow
I really hate I had to give up my interview spot recently but I am glad it was passed to someone else. I was diagnosed with cancer in the Fall and had to withdrawal from some required courses. They did give me the option to take them but it would have been too much to take by July. Good luck!
omg i hope you're okay! don't you worry, everything will come in due time

virtual interview was really chill and relaxed. i believe they have 3 1-1s and they're really chill. all my interviews went well then you speak to current students. what i didn't like was that admissions was also on the zoom call for that so it made it difficult to ask questions like -- what didn't you like about the school etc.

i believe it is full however waitlist is moving fast. i was waitlisted on a Friday and received the A on that monday.

If anyone needs to know
What I didn’t like about vcom PM me. I am graduating and won’t hold
Back.

omg i hope you're okay! don't you worry, everything will come in due time
Yes, thank you. You never think you will get cancer in your 30s. After chemo and surgery I am going to be okay. Still going strong and will apply again next year. I am on a waitlist at one school that didn’t require the extra course so maybe it will happen this year!

Yes, thank you. You never think you will get cancer in your 30s. After chemo and surgery I am going to be okay. Still going strong and will apply again next year. I am on a waitlist at one school that didn’t require the extra course so maybe it will happen this year!
yeah keep strong, I'm sure schools will understand what you went through!!

Had the virtual interview today. It was very laid back and everyone was really nice. Best of luck guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello I was waitlisted today and would like to ask if there's much of a chance for me to be accepted this cycle. Is there anything I can really do to improve my chances?
[/QUOTE
As others have mentioned the waitlist does move, but no one even admissions knows how much. Keep working hard, doing anything you can volunteer, and keep admissions updated on your achievements and service. I know it’s hard with COVID and I wish I had better advice during this weird time. Keep your head up and keep your confidence.

Has anyone who interviewed in the past few weeks heard back yet? I had my virtual interview but am still waiting to hear back!