2019-2020 Florida International

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To piggyback off @futuregyn, is anyone looking for a roommate?
I’ll be moving from another state and I’m kind of stressed about how medical students can afford to pay rent in Miami. It’s pretty expensive.

On the CO 2024 FB page, there's a google doc for finding a roommate
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know when the diversity scholarships will come out or if they already came out?

I received a 25% tuition scholarship (yay!!) but it didn’t mention if it was need based or part of the diversity scholarship.

It was titled “tuition based scholarship”. Either way extremely happy with receiving it!
 
Does anyone know when the diversity scholarships will come out or if they already came out?

I received a 25% tuition scholarship (yay!!) but it didn’t mention if it was need based or part of the diversity scholarship.

It was titled “tuition based scholarship”. Either way extremely happy with receiving it!

When did they notify you about the 25% tuition scholarship?
 
I sent a letter of intent but all I got was an automated email that they were going to reply in the next few days but I never got a reply. Should I follow up?
 
Received my financial aid package. Thinking about withdrawing.

Only received loans and letter says we won’t be notified if selected for need based grants until AFTER April 30 (day we have to make our final medical school decision).

Does anyone know how much the need based grants usually are and what % of students receive them
 
When is the final day accepted FIU HWCOM students have to commit to FIU? I’m holding out for FIU on their waitlist but I hold an acceptance elsewhere and I have until 7/13 to commit there definitively. I wanted to know when FIU’s date is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Isn't the HWCOM Graduate Need Grant 5k off of tuition per year? I remember them saying something about that number at interview day, unless I'm thinking of some other scholarship
 
Isn't the HWCOM Graduate Need Grant 5k off of tuition per year? I remember them saying something about that number at interview day, unless I'm thinking of some other scholarship
yeah that is what I remember too. I didn't realize anything was based on FAFSA submission date though so unfortunately I did that late and prob won't get it :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Isn't the HWCOM Graduate Need Grant 5k off of tuition per year? I remember them saying something about that number at interview day, unless I'm thinking of some other scholarship
yeah that is what I remember too. I didn't realize anything was based on FAFSA submission date though so unfortunately I did that late and prob won't get it :/
I emailed them and they said that if you’ve receive a scholarship from HWCOM that’s higher than 5k you’re ineligible for the Graduate Need Grant. (I received the 25% tuition scholarship so I’m ineligible for the need Grant)
 
I emailed them and they said that if you’ve receive a scholarship from HWCOM that’s higher than 5k you’re ineligible for the Graduate Need Grant. (I received the 25% tuition scholarship so I’m ineligible for the need Grant)
Do you remember if they said how many scholarships they give out and until when they do that?
 
Do you remember if they said how many scholarships they give out and until when they do that?
No, sorry I don’t recall anything about that. But on their website it says that 93% receive some sort of scholarship or grant assistance

I know one person who received a full tuition scholarship and a couple received a 25% tuition scholarship (around 8k for in state). Hopefully other scholarships are available as well because as of right now I’m looking to take out a big chunk of loans due to the lack of need grants from FIU
 
Last edited:
yeah that is what I remember too. I didn't realize anything was based on FAFSA submission date though so unfortunately I did that late and prob won't get it :/

I submit my FAFSA super early and still haven't received anything, that's why I'm getting worried lol
 
I submit my FAFSA super early and still haven't received anything, that's why I'm getting worried lol
Need based grants don’t get distributed until after April 30. My thinking is that all other scholarships will probably free up once people start withdrawing so probably will see some scholarship movement after April 30 as well.

Hopefully they talk about it during the financial aid session today
 
Need based grants don’t get distributed until after April 30. My thinking is that all other scholarships will probably free up once people start withdrawing so probably will see some scholarship movement after April 30 as well.

Hopefully they talk about it during the financial aid session today

Yea I’m hoping that if I get off the waitlist I can get some tuition scholarships but i believe i won’t be need based [emoji28][emoji854]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I sent a letter of intent but all I got was an automated email that they were going to reply in the next few days but I never got a reply. Should I follow up?
I would put the letter of intent as an update not he application if you can. That way everyone in the admissions team can read it! Thats what they told me to do when I sent mine in
 
I would put the letter of intent as an update not he application if you can. That way everyone in the admissions team can read it! Thats what they told me to do when I sent mine in
Okay! so I should just upload it where I’d put an update? Because they still haven’t replied to my email and i was planning on sending a follow up email
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will there be no waitlist movement anymore? They posted on instagram about a virtual event they held for all accepted students and it was called “Welcome Class of 20204”
 
Will there be no waitlist movement anymore? They posted on instagram about a virtual event they held for all accepted students and it was called “Welcome Class of 20204”

Last week was second look for accepted students, which is pretty standard for schools to do. They just gave more info about the program for people to make a decision about if they want to go to FIU or not. I don't think they've started taking people off of the waitlist, I believe movement will start soon after April 30th when people start narrowing down where they're going so you're probably still good!
 
Last week was second look for accepted students, which is pretty standard for schools to do. They just gave more info about the program for people to make a decision about if they want to go to FIU or not. I don't think they've started taking people off of the waitlist, I believe movement will start soon after April 30th when people start narrowing down where they're going so you're probably still good!
I realized that a while after I panicked and posted on here oops!!
I still have some hope!!
 
Has anyone heard from financial aid today? They said during second look that the scholarship committee was meeting today
 
Has anyone heard from financial aid today? They said during second look that the scholarship committee was meeting today
I haven’t. But they may need a couple days to actually inform people that they received a scholarship. Or they may be waiting until April 30th passes.

Speaking of scholarships, do any of you know if they give out 100% tuition diversity scholarships?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad