2019-2020 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I had a question regarding tattoos. I might have missed it in the handbook but I have a tattoo that covers most of my calf and another that goes from my shoulder to elbow. I was wondering if I have to cover the calf for OMT lab. Also, when we wear scrubs or the polos should the tattoo on my arm be covered? That bottom of my tattoo on my arm sticks out of shirts right above my elbow.
Full disclosure I don't have any tattoos. However, from my experience in OMT lab as a first year, there were tattoos visible during lab as numerous techniques require the student to take their shirt off or to focus on their legs and the OPP department never said anything. Dress code for OMT lab is usually gym clothes, so a t-shirt and shorts or sweatpants if you're not doing any LE techniques that day. For scrubs it probably won't be a big deal either as you'll mostly be wearing scrubs for anatomy lab and you wear a long sleeved lab coat anyways or if you're wearing scrubs for another reason other than anatomy lab you can always wear a long sleeve shirt underneath as the school is generally pretty cold anyways. For class when you have to wear business professional, if you're a male, most guys generally wear a long sleeve button down or if you do have short sleeve button down a little bit of the tattoo showing shouldn't be an issue as I remember some tattoos on fellow students being visible. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I had a question regarding tattoos. I might have missed it in the handbook but I have a tattoo that covers most of my calf and another that goes from my shoulder to elbow. I was wondering if I have to cover the calf for OMT lab. Also, when we wear scrubs or the polos should the tattoo on my arm be covered? That bottom of my tattoo on my arm sticks out of shirts right above my elbow.
I have multiple tattoos that are usually only visible in OMM lab and it's a non-issue. Sometimes the ones on my shoulders are partially visible due to my blouse, and I've never had a problem. There's another woman with a forearm tattoo that is frequently visible and it seems fine. I think it's more important to look professional otherwise and cover them when possible, but obviously sometimes they may be visible or partially visible, like in scrubs or OPP clothes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to decline my offer yesterday. I got a call from my #1 school during a scheduled break while attending ICOM's orientation. ICOM faculty is AWESOME to work with to the point that I have reservations about my decision to attend my 1st choice school after going through ICOM's orientation. An ICOM faculty member even offered to stay late after presentations so that they could scan and send my signed acceptance letter to the other school for me! Whoever fills this spot will have an outstanding experience in medical school. (Also, there will be an open ground-level unit in the brand new Jasper apartments 1.5 miles away from campus)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey can any first years speak to how living on the COA is? I emailed FA and they said there’s 2k tucked into each month for living on and I assume part of that is for rent so I’m wondering how y’all are doing!