2022-2023 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see they are open until April- I wanted to apply and just haven't yet. Is it worth it to send in an app this week? Maybe to some other DO schools too?

Members don't see this ad.

I see they are open until April- I wanted to apply and just haven't yet. Is it worth it to send in an app this week? Maybe to some other DO schools too?
Hey, ICOM second year here! This is anecdotal but I submitted my secondary in late February, interviewed in April, and was off the waitlist by early May. ICOM's waitlist is in tiers, so if you interview late and they like you, they'll put you at the top of the list. If you have competitive stats, you definitely still have a chance, but apply soon. I actually got a few interviews by applying on this timeline, but it may have been a bit different because of COVID that year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Just putting it out there that I am available for questions / chats. I am one of the 4th years and just finishing loads of interviews. Happy to answer any questions about the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
i mean you never know till you apply but they have all their seats full. right now its mainly just people interviewing for waitlist so do decide based on that. Its up to you.
Their email said that every applicant who interviewed for a waitlist, who the committee voted to accept, received an offer in previous years. I'd say that's pretty promising.

Hey, ICOM second year here! This is anecdotal but I submitted my secondary in late February, interviewed in April, and was off the waitlist by early May. ICOM's waitlist is in tiers, so if you interview late and they like you, they'll put you at the top of the list. If you have competitive stats, you definitely still have a chance, but apply soon. I actually got a few interviews by applying on this timeline, but it may have been a bit different because of COVID that year.
Echoing this since off the top of my head this was similar to my timeline. There is usually pretty significant waitlist movement, though your mileage may vary.

II received, for a "waitlist position". Also heard some things about this institution regarding how the school was opened and how nearby hospitals won't affiliate with them? Is it true that students need to go far for rotations? Would love to hear from current students, thank you!

II received, for a "waitlist position". Also heard some things about this institution regarding how the school was opened and how nearby hospitals won't affiliate with them? Is it true that students need to go far for rotations? Would love to hear from current students, thank you!
The two major hospitals in the area, St. Luke's and St. Al's both take ICOM students for rotations. Majority of ICOM students stay in Idaho for rotations, but there are also rotation sites in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Utah and Montana (plus one very new Cali site), so it's very possible you will move for rotations. Rotation sites are determined via a lottery system. Ask lots of questions during your interview q and a session, ICOM is very transparent about rotation site placements, and most students end up at one of their top choices, but every year there are people get pulled last and fall very low on their rank list. Feel free to DM me if you have more questions too.

How do you know where on the waitlist you are, or if you were placed on the top?

The two major hospitals in the area, St. Luke's and St. Al's both take ICOM students for rotations. Majority of ICOM students stay in Idaho for rotations, but there are also rotation sites in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Utah and Montana (plus one very new Cali site), so it's very possible you will move for rotations. Rotation sites are determined via a lottery system. Ask lots of questions during your interview q and a session, ICOM is very transparent about rotation site placements, and most students end up at one of their top choices, but every year there are people get pulled last and fall very low on their rank list. Feel free to DM me if you have more questions too.
This more or less covers it. I'd have to go back and look at my spreadsheet, but my memory is that something like half of my class was covered just by the sites in Boise and Idaho Falls. If you have questions about more specifics I'd be happy to answer them by PM while procrastinating during study breaks.

got waitlisted , do they say if you high tier or not in the waitlist email?

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an interview invite! does anyone know if their class is full already?

edit: I just read the thread. I'm not too thrilled about interviewing for a waitlist position, but I'll still give it a shot.

Last edited:
Got an II today :) I applied last week!

How’s the interview format? Any tips?

Got an II today :) I applied last week!

How’s the interview format? Any tips?
Congratulations. Out of all the interviews I've had this one was my favorite. It's open file, and 2:1, so your interviewers have read your application. They're going to ask standard interview questions and questions that are tailored to your application. I had a great conversation with my interviewers and the interview felt more than just a scoring rubric.

Do any current students have any updates on if ICOM is approved for federal aid?

Congratulations. Out of all the interviews I've had this one was my favorite. It's open file, and 2:1, so your interviewers have read your application. They're going to ask standard interview questions and questions that are tailored to your application. I had a great conversation with my interviewers and the interview felt more than just a scoring rubric.

Do any current students have any updates on if ICOM is approved for federal aid?
Can you share some tips for the interview questions?

We’re told that it’ll most likely be by next semester (Fall 2023), possibly the spring semester but not later than that!

Waitlisted today. Interviewed last Monday (2/13). Just a note: they told me before I accepted the interview that I was interviewing for a waitlist position.

Just got the A, but for the waitlist position. They say it’s considered to be the “high tier” on waitlist

Just got the A, but for the waitlist position. They say it’s considered to be the “high tier” on waitlist
Waitlisted today. Interviewed last Monday (2/13). Just a note: they told me before I accepted the interview that I was interviewing for a waitlist position.
How was the interview? Any tips?

Does anyone know how long is their waitlist?

How was the interview? Any tips?

Does anyone know how long is their waitlist?
Very conversational and seemed more like an informational session. As stated above, it was also a 1:2 faculty interview. Just be confident and be prepared to explain/elaborate on things stated in your primary&secondary app (it is open-app style).

As for the waitlist I am not sure. They made it clear that it was for a waitlist position—although, three different kinds being accepted&waitlisted, waitlisted, and rejected.

My interview with them was very similar. You'll have to look back a bit for my original post on it. No real points taken from my application. Very generic. Very hostile.
Very similar interview, no sense of wanting to know about my application. Nonetheless, post ii R

Let us know when your status changes. Do you guys have any acceptances elsewhere? Does ICOM say when you should hear back or is it anytime before classes start?

Let us know when your status changes. Do you guys have any acceptances elsewhere? Does ICOM say when you should hear back or is it anytime before classes start?
Will do. I actually have 1 A and another accepted/waitlist position.

They never said when we are expected to move, but just said “We anticipate movement off of our waitlist therefore this is a great status to be in”.

Very similar interview, no sense of wanting to know about my application. Nonetheless, post ii R
It's just funny. They were my only DO interview like that. All my other DO interviews were extremely pleasant and very interested in me. It was a nice change of pace from MD interviews.

For those asking about the waitlist: During my cycle, I was waitlisted at medium tier on 3/1, got email on 6/9 to let me know the medium tier waitlist was about to see movement, and got the acceptance call on 6/14.
From what I was told, they moved ~70 students off waitlist in previous years. Idk if that’s changed now but thought I’d mention it!

Reactions: 3 users
For those asking about the waitlist: During my cycle, I was waitlisted at medium tier on 3/1, got email on 6/9 to let me know the medium tier waitlist was about to see movement, and got the acceptance call on 6/14.
From what I was told, they moved ~70 students off waitlist in previous years. Idk if that’s changed now but thought I’d mention it!

So do you know when most people on the high tier waitlist were accepted? Is it basically given that we will get accepted if we are high tier?

Last edited:
So do you know when most people on the high tier waitlist were accepted? Is it basically given that we will get accepted if we are high tier?
Off the top of my head waitlist movement for my cycle (current 2nd year for reference) started roughly April/May/June for Highest/High/Medium respectively. However, I think last year's cycle took until about June to start movement on high tier.

Anyone else felt bad after your interview and you still get in?

Wow - didn’t expect this but secondary invite received last week, submitted secondary yesterday 3/13, II received today 3/14! Interviewing for a waitlist spot but was told about the high / medium / low tier options. Email did say last year everyone from the high WL tier was accepted. Does anyone know if you could ask to be accepted to following years class or any luck with deferral? I am not sure if I was accepted late in the game I’d be able to move to Boise, ID in time. I have a small child and husband so relocating may take a bit of time.

What's the word on federal loans at ICOM starting in the fall?

Can any current students talk about what the schedule is like for a first year student? E.g. how many days a week do you have to be on campus? How many hours of lecture per week? Can you watch the lectures at home?

Wow - didn’t expect this but secondary invite received last week, submitted secondary yesterday 3/13, II received today 3/14! Interviewing for a waitlist spot but was told about the high / medium / low tier options. Email did say last year everyone from the high WL tier was accepted. Does anyone know if you could ask to be accepted to following years class or any luck with deferral? I am not sure if I was accepted late in the game I’d be able to move to Boise, ID in time. I have a small child and husband so relocating may take a bit of time.
I'm not sure if this helps but I was placed on the high WL and told via email that if they couldn't offer me a spot this year, I'd have a spot in next year's class with no reapplication. So maybe they'd be open to the discussion!

Withdrawing my acceptance today, hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Last I heard still waiting on the government to process the paperwork. Obviously administration is hoping that it will be available for the fall, but it's not exactly something that they have control of at this point.

Can any current students talk about what the schedule is like for a first year student? E.g. how many days a week do you have to be on campus? How many hours of lecture per week? Can you watch the lectures at home?
Caveat: I'm going by my experience last year. General schedule first year is that lectures in general run 8-noon with a varying number of those requiring you to be present in the classroom. These are usually adjunct lectures or some kind of activity. During first semester you'll need to show up for afternoon labs 3 or 4 days per week as a baseline. This drops by 1-2 in second semester since you're done with anatomy, though you pick up some simulation events scattered throughout the semester instead.

Reactions: 1 users
did anyone from the 3/7 session hear back yet?

I tuned into the match stream while I was at work briefly, and it sounds like they have another impressive year of matching.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a rejection from ICOM :(

• Care
  • Sad
Yeah, this is something I ask the school about whenever I get the chance. All that we’re waiting on is the paperwork to be finished so we can get assigned a federal identification number for loans. I’ve been told that the latest this would be looks like Spring 2024, but the office is hopeful we’ll be eligible Fall 2023.

Basically what @kirtar said. We usually have four lectures a day 8am-12pm. Wednesdays are OPP lecture as one of our four. Fridays are usually one or two hours of something less lecture-like and more teamwork, ethics, healthcare system, etc stuff. Those are almost always mandatory. We have scattered activities during those 8am-12pm that are mandatory. Then there’s labs. Tuesday and Thursday is anatomy for your first semester, 1pm to about 4pm. Wednesday is two hours of OPP lab (time depends on your group). Then we have scattered simulation labs, standardized patient events, physical exam labs, clinical small groups that you get assigned times for. It’s pretty well organized and you can always plan for things like appointments in advance.
All lectures are recorded and we even have access to pre-recorded lectures from every year before us.

Basically what @kirtar said. We usually have four lectures a day 8am-12pm. Wednesdays are OPP lecture as one of our four. Fridays are usually one or two hours of something less lecture-like and more teamwork, ethics, healthcare system, etc stuff. Those are almost always mandatory. We have scattered activities during those 8am-12pm that are mandatory. Then there’s labs. Tuesday and Thursday is anatomy for your first semester, 1pm to about 4pm. Wednesday is two hours of OPP lab (time depends on your group). Then we have scattered simulation labs, standardized patient events, physical exam labs, clinical small groups that you get assigned times for. It’s pretty well organized and you can always plan for things like appointments in advance.
All lectures are recorded and we even have access to pre-recorded lectures from every year before us.
Do you know ahead of time which activities during the 8:00 - 12:00 windows are mandatory attendance?

I tuned into the match stream while I was at work briefly, and it sounds like they have another impressive year of matching.
Between ICOM and the TCU inaugural match, I think it’s safe to say new schools shouldn’t be discounted

Theres a 2027 accepted student page on FB now
is this something you have to look up or do they send a link? also, would you know if there's currently a groupme chat available?

Do you know ahead of time which activities during the 8:00 - 12:00 windows are mandatory attendance?
Yes. You get the entire block schedule and sometimes the entire semester schedule all at once. Anything that is mandatory is marked with an ‘M’ on our calendar. Only one activity was mandatory from our 8am-12pm lectures this entire week. The rest you can listen live from home or you can go in to listen in the lecture hall.
If you have any other questions please reach out!!

I'm not sure if this helps but I was placed on the high WL and told via email that if they couldn't offer me a spot this year, I'd have a spot in next year's class with no reapplication. So maybe they'd be open to the discussion!
Awesome, thanks!