2019-2020 South Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I definitely 100% agree and think it's concerning to know about the SOAP rates, but to be fair there is a lot we don't know, so saying "you'd prefer to match" is kind of unfair.

I highly doubt the school actively blocked people from matching. There's a huge risk to applying for Ortho, Derm, or Neurosurg at literally every school, and unless you're a god at a T5 school with a perfect USMLE and amazing connections, you have to assume you might SOAP.

The SOAP rate could easily just be explained by an overly ambitious class. And I checked my other A's match lists, and its not like USF and Lehigh Valley residencies picked almost nobody from their home institutions in comparison, it was around equal (except for a school like say Pitt, where bizarrely its like half their class did their PGY1 at the home school). In fact, the competitive specialty numbers at most schools still appears proportionally the same at the end, regardless of SOAPS.

I personally couldn't care less since I just want to match in So-Cal: and I have no doubt USF would do a fantastic job in preparing me as a physician 🙂. With the added benefit that the school might just end up being a T30 in a few years.

But I completely understand the concerns, and I will obviously be doing a serious investigation myself into what's going on with the curriculum, what's up with Lehigh Valley, what new benefits the new building provides, and why people were apparently so gun-ho about applying to such insanely difficult specialties in such large numbers (wtf were the counselors thinking??) etc.

Cheers!
I 1,000% agree with you -- the issue isn't the training, since it looks like many of the people that SOAPed had great applications. It's that the advising kind of had to have sucked, and that's a problem. There might also be an issue with mentoring, ability to make connections, etc. that adversely impacted matches.

By the way, if they don't get this fixed, it's hard to see how they could possibly be a T30, no matter how nice their facilities, how many research dollars they attract, or how high incoming MCAT scores go. At the end of the day, while all the other stuff is great, what's more important to a prospective student, or relevant to the ranking of a school, than student outcomes?
 
This might be a stupid question, but, is it typical to have a lease that does not map the end of the school year? I'm not going to Tampa this summer, but was just wondering, in general, if people get stuck with leases beyond the time they expect to be in school. Thanks!!

Our lease ends in June, usually people sign yearly leases for a better rate but can do shorter/longer to make it coordinate with the end of medical school. Only reason we were posting it on here was if someone doesn't take it over, our furniture goes in the trash. Figured especially, in the current climate might be nice to walk into a free furnished place. It also helps lock in the rent we currently pay since they are offering current residents a 0% increase.
 
I 1,000% agree with you -- the issue isn't the training, since it looks like many of the people that SOAPed had great applications. It's that the advising kind of had to have sucked, and that's a problem. There might also be an issue with mentoring, ability to make connections, etc. that adversely impacted matches.

By the way, if they don't get this fixed, it's hard to see how they could possibly be a T30, no matter how nice their facilities, how many research dollars they attract, or how high incoming MCAT scores go. At the end of the day, while all the other stuff is great, what's more important to a prospective student, or relevant to the ranking of a school, than student outcomes?

For sure, the mentoring stuff and ability to make connections are things im going to ask about. But idk why they should be weaker here than elsewhere hmmm.

Speaking of which, can they just announce second look already , I want to knoooooow lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For sure, the mentoring stuff and ability to make connections are things im going to ask about. But idk why they should be weaker here than elsewhere hmmm.

Speaking of which, can they just announce second look already , I want to knoooooow lol
Yeah, but it honestly doesn't sound like they are "weaker." It sounds like they had too many people aiming too high, and no one stepping in to either advise against it or give applicants other viable options so they could match before SOAP.
 
What koolaid are adcoms pouring at interviews to have students believing this “T30 bound” storyline as a redeeming factor after graded curriculum overhauls due to sub-par matriculating classes and their first year of high stat superstars having to SOAP at twice the national average?

I don’t think throwing research money at an injured horse is going to make it run it any faster.
 
What koolaid are adcoms pouring at interviews to have students believing this “T30 bound” storyline as a redeeming factor after graded curriculum overhauls due to sub-par matriculating classes and their first year of high stat superstars having to SOAP at twice the national average?

I don’t think throwing research money at an injured horse is going to make it run it any faster.
I actually went to usf for undergrad and they preach the T30 narrative for undergrad as well. At my honors college orientation the dean gave a presentation with their long term plan to be a top 25 university lol
 
What koolaid are adcoms pouring at interviews to have students believing this “T30 bound” storyline as a redeeming factor after graded curriculum overhauls due to sub-par matriculating classes and their first year of high stat superstars having to SOAP at twice the national average?

I don’t think throwing research money at an injured horse is going to make it run it any faster.

Money talks, prestige follows money (and good weather lol).

If a top researcher has to pick between doing research in chilly Illinois for a smaller salary vs Tampa (in a new building ahem), long term you know who will win. This has been happening with California in a sense for years. Guess which school long term has the higher ranking. It's hopeful, but not crazy to think the school will be going up.

And we don't know enough to assume there is an "injured horse". Graded curriculum is a minor annoyance, not the end of the world when most PD's wouldn't even glance at it. At worst an overly aggressive move by admin for the whole ranking drive

And 2 orthopedic matches is very in line with even some other T20 schools I interviewed at, they're almost always in the 2-3 range. Sure, it's weird 7 people applied.

If the school's issue is that it dosen't bat hard enough for its students in terms of networking, then sure, that's an issue.
But vaguely saying the program is a broken horse for one issue that's minor and another that we don't even know enough about is dumb lol
 
Money talks, prestige follows money (and good weather lol).

If a top researcher has to pick between doing research in chilly Illinois for a smaller salary vs Tampa (in a new building ahem), long term you know who will win. This has been happening with California in a sense for years. Guess which school long term has the higher ranking. It's hopeful, but not crazy to think the school will be going up.

And we don't know enough to assume there is an "injured horse". Graded curriculum is a minor annoyance, not the end of the world when most PD's wouldn't even glance at it. At worst an overly aggressive move by admin for the whole ranking drive

And 2 orthopedic matches is very in line with even some other T20 schools I interviewed at, they're almost always in the 2-3 range. Sure, it's weird 7 people applied.

If the school's issue is that it dosen't bat hard enough for its students in terms of networking, then sure, that's an issue.
But vaguely saying the program is a broken horse for one issue that's minor and another that we don't even know enough about is dumb lol


And how does this hypothetical situation of a top researcher suddenly being forced between between Chicago (with Pritzker and Feinberg in the radius) and USF of all places across the nation ( and across Florida) excuse subpar medical student performance after blatant high stat recruiting from the admissions team?

Also a shiny new medical student building is somehow attracting this hypothetical researcher?

If having to SOAP more than twice the national average isn’t a red flag nor an injured horse, what would constitute the term for you? The horse very least got shot in its hindleg and spanked.

Among all these factors, the school not pumping out support in terms of networking is the most crucial as you are strongly reliant on the home department to bat for you for the competitive specialties.

We can agree to disagree, but if the stated issues are “dumb” and “minor” this koolaid the adcoms are serving are producing borderline delusion in those on the T30 hype train.
 
Does anyone know the MATCH list for SELECT program ? It seems like the MATCH list for SELECT program is not published separately or indicated in the overall MATCH list whether the student is from SELECT or Core program.
This information was published in the second look info packet! Looks like they had matches in derm, ortho, neuro, plastics, urology...
 
Can we please remind ourselves that although some of us are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to pick and choose where we want to spend the next 4 years of our life, there may be others on this thread who cannot say the same. Yes, these forums are a great way to discuss the pros and potential cons of each school, but outright bashing a program that many people on this thread will eventually attend-- with minimal objective evidence to support your claims (I.e. opinions)-- isn't very productive for anyone (nor is it kind).

Sorry, the negativity on this thread is just crushing my soul rn lol
 
Can we please remind ourselves that although some of us are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to pick and choose where we want to spend the next 4 years of our life, there may be others on this thread who cannot say the same. Yes, these forums are a great way to discuss the pros and potential cons of each school, but outright bashing a program that many people on this thread will eventually attend-- with minimal objective evidence to support your claims (I.e. opinions)-- isn't very productive for anyone (nor is it kind).

Sorry, the negativity on this thread is just crushing my soul rn lol

An additional reminder that equally biased aspirations based on minimal objective evidence (I.e also an opinion) when student performance and results have shown the absolute opposite is both misleading and unproductive for students that DO have the
choice between multiple medical schools AND students that will be applying later on in the cycles to come.

To add some positivity into your day, as I’ve said time and time again, USF is a decent MD program in the state of Florida that will get you where you want to go provided you work hard enough. It is in the top 4 in my personal list of all the Florida schools; I would personally go here over: NovaMD, FSU, FAU, FIU.

However, to make claims such as being “T30 bound” when the results have shown that it’s not in that trajectory is insincere. The program has problems and in order to eventually get where you (and the program) want to get, y’all need to recognize the flaws and see what exactly is causing them so the people running the program can give you the best education possible.
 
An additional reminder that equally biased aspirations based on minimal objective evidence (I.e also an opinion) when student performance and results have shown the absolute opposite is both misleading and unproductive for students that DO have the
choice between multiple medical schools AND students that will be applying later on in the cycles to come.

To add some positivity into your day, as I’ve said time and time again, USF is a decent MD program in the state of Florida that will get you where you want to go provided you work hard enough. It is in the top 4 in my personal list of all the Florida schools; I would personally go here over: NovaMD, FSU, FAU, FIU.

However, to make claims such as being “T30 bound” when the results have shown that it’s not in that trajectory is insincere. The program has problems and in order to eventually get where you (and the program) want to get, y’all need to recognize the flaws and see what exactly is causing them so the people running the program can give you the best education possible.
Okay, I understand what you're saying and I agree that those of us that have multiple acceptances may rely on these threads to make our final decision. But to say someone on here is experiencing "borderline delusion" because they are trying to offer a different perspective is unnecessary... unless I just misunderstood what you were trying to say. If so, I apologize.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An additional reminder that equally biased aspirations based on minimal objective evidence (I.e also an opinion) when student performance and results have shown the absolute opposite is both misleading and unproductive for students that DO have the
choice between multiple medical schools AND students that will be applying later on in the cycles to come.

To add some positivity into your day, as I’ve said time and time again, USF is a decent MD program in the state of Florida that will get you where you want to go provided you work hard enough. It is in the top 4 in my personal list of all the Florida schools; I would personally go here over: NovaMD, FSU, FAU, FIU.

However, to make claims such as being “T30 bound” when the results have shown that it’s not in that trajectory is insincere. The program has problems and in order to eventually get where you (and the program) want to get, y’all need to recognize the flaws and see what exactly is causing them so the people running the program can give you the best education possible.

I think we over complicated/confused each others points, when in reality we would probably agree on the main issues.

USF is a good mid tier school, which we can agree on, yes? I have another acceptance at a solid mid tier school that I liked a lot, but I would probably pick USF instead in all likelihood because I see a possibility of a brighter future.

I agree with you that as of now, it is not at the level of UF (Forgive me if I don't know Florida schools very well), in which case the decision is easy, go to the school that has already hit top 30, instead of the one that is trying to move towards that.

However, for people with acceptances at other mid/lower tier schools like (I actually wrote a school name here but I decided against it since I don't want to diss another school), I think the possibility of USF's climb should make it the clear winner (at least for me).

So I think we over-complicated the discussion, when the choices are fairly clear and relatively binary in most cases, no need for a long drawn out battle where schools get dissed.

To add on to what a lot of people said, we don't know enough to really judge it's climb. One years match says little to be honest. I read through the match list: I saw a ton of good names like Vandy, NYU, Southwestern, Yale (and UCLA and UCSD which for me make my day!), etc. I'm not sure you can base the performance of a small group of hyper ambitious individuals for a competitive specialty from one school to another in one year and declare that the definitive conclusion to how USF's climb is going (which will probably take a decade for a definitive answer). Those 7 individuals at USF for say Ortho are a tiny sample size: who knows what was up with them, just because they were part of the first "high scoring" class, does not mean they were somehow perfect. Literally all we know about them was that they got around 517 (even I got an MCAT higher than that, and all that part of my application says about me is that I spent 4-5 months cramming, it's not even close to being the most relevant and compelling part of my application), they might have been mediocre otherwise, does not mean the program let them down.

Nobody said it is currently a top 30. Reputations like that take years to build. But you should be optimistic to attend a school that is at least trying, and has the money and resources to do it! Most schools, like one of my other A's, I'm betting have already peaked. But it's exciting to attend a school that definitely has not peaked yet (regardless of where it will end up landing, the one thing I can guarantee is that it has not come close to peaking).

Where it goes, nobody knows. Maybe it really does have some serious networking issue (perhaps PD's are upset at USF staff). But we don't know that, and we won't even get an idea until Second Look. Until then, it's all postulating, and I'm personally not worried.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And to add on: it’s not like USF is going to stand back and let this occur again. They are always working hard to beat their previous year’s stats. It might have taken a toll with the low ortho matches, but I’ll bet they are being proactive for following years.

Amongst all of this discussion, I think we are forgetting that USF has come a long way. I’ve been in Tampa my entire life and I’ve seen the growth. They are not done anytime soon, they’re just getting started IMO. Just bear with them. I understand one has to extrapolate and figure out their future with USF based on what they have churned out, but don’t discount them just yet.
 
What koolaid are adcoms pouring at interviews to have students believing this “T30 bound” storyline as a redeeming factor after graded curriculum overhauls due to sub-par matriculating classes and their first year of high stat superstars having to SOAP at twice the national average?

I don’t think throwing research money at an injured horse is going to make it run it any faster.

I'm already committed but I'm guessing it's the good stuff with 4x the powder/water ratio than recommended.
 
I'm so confused... if there are people here who think the school sucks and has major issues etc then why are they here on this forum. Time to unwatch and move to the forums where you are interested in attending. And if its because you are waitlisted here and trying to encourage those with As to withdraw and choose somewhere else, that's pretty low.
 
I'm so confused... if there are people here who think the school sucks and has major issues etc then why are they here on this forum. Time to unwatch and move to the forums where you are interested in attending. And if its because you are waitlisted here and trying to encourage those with As to withdraw and choose somewhere else, that's pretty low.


I don’t think anyone believes USF “sucks”. The intention is to have a wholesome discussion. Most people who are commenting have been accepted to USF and I don’t think it matters if they aren’t. They want to air out their thoughts to see if other students feel the same. It’s not wrong to do that, it’s better to comment and discuss with peers than to have misunderstandings about USF and accept/deny them.
 
In terms of financial aid, do we need to complete anything besides the FAFSA?
+1

This is my main concern as the April 15th deadline approaches. Someone mentioned needing a USF ID to log into a portal to complete other financial aid documents, but I haven't received anything about an ID and haven't heard of anyone else receiving anything either.
 
I'm confused too... if this is your only acceptance/waitlist, why are you still on this discussion thread? There's nothing left to do but unwatch and wait for an acceptance/rejection or for classes to start. I'm here because I am fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances, and need to decide where to go. While I have serious misgivings with USF (thanks to the useful information I've learned from this thread), if they throw enough money at me I'll show up anyways. If it wasn't for this thread, I might've given them more weight than I should've, and taken them instead of a school that better suits my needs (in the absence of financial aid).

If you're just trying to bury your head in the sand and ignore/suppress the issues this school has to make you feel better about your lack of options, that's pretty low to those who still need to have an objective discussion about the pros/cons and benefits/risks to this school.
Yes... those keywords, "objective" and "discussion". But being purposely argumentative, throwing shade at a program and making strange analogies when none of us have the slightest clue as to what truly happened with the match this year, as well as pushing a narrative that admins are somehow inept in their ability to adjust their approach for the following classes do not fit in those categories. I also am personally using these forums to make a decision as to where I would like to matriculate, and this forum has brought to light serious issues that anyone who is considering attending this school should think about/question, so I really appreciate everyone's input.

Also, I think people on here who are 100% set on attending this school still check on these forums to stay in the loop about finaid, school updates, etc...
 
SELECT match list
 

Attachments

  • E863CCFD-1340-47EF-93C3-7E9555EED1CB.jpeg
    E863CCFD-1340-47EF-93C3-7E9555EED1CB.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 267
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So how many people get interviews at USF MD Core, and how many accceptances do they send out and how many people are on the WL ?
 
I don't think it's possible to answer the WL question.

USNWR says they have 5,511 applicants for 627 interviews, 413 acceptances, and 182 eventual matriculants.


Wow 413 acceptances. When I asked Dr Daniel on interview day he said they accept around 220 students total. Maybe that’s for Core only?
 
I would try not to get your hopes up before the call though, just for your own well-being, in the case that it was a mistake. I hope you do hear from them soon though!
 
I would try not to get your hopes up before the call though, just for your own well-being, in the case that it was a mistake. I hope you do hear from them soon though!

I agree for sure. I am accepted at another school so I am not as worried as I normally would be. Will be calling and emailing!
 
Hey, I was wondering if you know anything about how AOA inductees are selected/how many are inducted each year. There's a website, but it looks like it's very out of date, given that they're referring to a lack of class rank:

"Based on national by-laws, up to one half can be elected in their junior year, however due to lack of class rank, this will be limited to a small number of outstanding students. (Generally 4-6)"

Does anyone know if 4-6 is a typical number for 175 students?

Edit: still can't find anything on specific selection procedures, but it does look like more students are picked nowadays: AOA Gamma Chapter welcomed newest inducteesUSF Health Honors & Awards. I see 13 students for the class of 2019.
Also curious about this. Can anyone shed more info?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad