You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 South Florida
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
New Member
USF is P/FOof. With this and the graded curriculum, really moving away from this school.
No, it's a tiered system which mimics an A-F system. It's not p/f if there are four different "passes"USF is P/F
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ngl UCFs match list is far superior to USFs. I would assume USF would do better every year especially since they are pulling in “better test-takers” but I am not sure what happened this year and if it is indicative of USFs internal drawbacks.
I think this was before they started attracting high scorers in the last cycle or so. I really predict that by the class of 2023 or '24, with their new facilities + being a stat hoe, they will really shoot up. Attracting high UG GPA's & MCAT scorers can only raise their STEP scores.Doesn’t make any sense. You would think they would match a good amount at least into their own programs. But apparently not.. I still can’t understand what is USF lacking. If they have the scores, the research capabilities, other pertinent resources, what else would they need?
Seems that their push for higher numbers came after they did miserably on STEP a few years ago, when they switched to tiered P/F so they have a few years til those high scorers come out to bat again for them at STEP and match.
For reference, USF posted on their instagram on march 1st that the avg step was 234 & 98% pass rate.
Last edited:
I have a friend at usf who is a current M4. From what he told me, a good amount of the people who had to SOAP, were students trying to match into dermatology, ENT, orthopedics etc. A majority of them had 250+ step scores, some even had AOA.I think this was before they started attracting high scorers in the last cycle or so. I really predict that by the class of 2023 or '24, with their new facilities + being a stat hoe, they will really shoot up. Attracting high UG GPA's & MCAT scorers can only raise their STEP scores.
Seems that their push for higher numbers came after they did miserably on STEP a few years ago, when they switched to tiered P/F so they have a few years til those high scorers come out to bat again for them at STEP and match.
For reference, USF posted on their instagram on march 1st that the avg step was 234 & 98% pass rate.
For orthopedics, USF's ortho home program did not reach out to other programs on the applicants behalf, which is a courtesy other medical schools typically do. Only 2 out of 7 students matched ortho this year, and similar numbers for derm and ENT.
What I also found out is USF did not offer good guidance on number of programs to apply to. A lot of people applying to hypercompetitive fields applied to less than 50% of total programs.
I don't think stats was a huge issue here, it was more of a lack of proper guidance and support from certain programs at USF.
I also know ppl at USF and may or may not be an alumnus. The SOAPers a lot tend to be ppl gunning for Ortho/derm/ENT, etc...I was sad to see some of those ppl on the match list who "matched" at random HCA/IM/FM places who I knew had to been smart enough to be in AOA (not sure if they were in AOA but they were definitely smart and had the grades to be in it). I also agree the advisement is rather poor...they always quote a study showing like if you apply to more than like....50? programs you rate of return is poor, but screw that! Honestly, if i was gunning for those hyper competitive fields, I would throw every dime to apply to them all or at least a huge #.I have a friend at usf who is a current M4. From what he told me, a good amount of the people who had to SOAP, were students trying to match into dermatology, ENT, orthopedics etc. A majority of them had 250+ step scores, some even had AOA.
For orthopedics, USF's ortho home program did not reach out to other programs on the applicants behalf, which is a courtesy other medical schools typically do. Only 2 out of 7 students matched ortho this year, and similar numbers for derm and ENT.
What I also found out is USF did not offer good guidance on number of programs to apply to. A lot of people applying to hypercompetitive fields applied to less than 50% of total programs.
I don't think stats was a huge issue here, it was more of a lack of proper guidance and support from certain programs at USF.
Isn’t the general advice for competitive specialties to attend like 15 or so interviews? So realistically you’re applying to around 50?I also know ppl at USF and may or may not be an alumnus. The SOAPers a lot tend to be ppl gunning for Ortho/derm/ENT, etc...I was sad to see some of those ppl on the match list who "matched" at random HCA/IM/FM places who I knew had to been smart enough to be in AOA (not sure if they were in AOA but they were definitely smart and had the grades to be in it). I also agree the advisement is rather poor...they always quote a study showing like if you apply to more than like....50? programs you rate of return is poor, but screw that! Honestly, if i was gunning for those hyper competitive fields, I would throw every dime to apply to them all or at least a huge #.
hotel-yorba1234
New Member
Sorry to pop in and be off topic here, but does USF silent-reject? I haven't heard anything since I applied in early August. USF was a top choice, but I'm obviously aware it's exceedingly unlikely anything will happen for me at this point. Just kind of confused at not having heard anything at all yet?
Sorry to pop in and be off topic here, but does USF silent-reject? I haven't heard anything since I applied in early August. USF was a top choice, but I'm obviously aware it's exceedingly unlikely anything will happen for me at this point. Just kind of confused at not having heard anything at all yet?
i’m not sure about silent rejections but if you haven’t heard about an interview by now I would focus on other schools/reapplication. Especially with the situation now, schools aren’t eager to continue interviewing.
Sure 15 interviews but how many to apply for? Take me..i applied to 100+ places and got 13 interviews. I’m a mediocre candidate for a moderate competitive specialty and my advisor (extremely nice guy and great physician) kept saying i was over applying i shouldn’t be applying more than 50. If i applied 50 i prob would have had at most half those interviews.Isn’t the general advice for competitive specialties to attend like 15 or so interviews? So realistically you’re applying to around 50?
D
deleted1009711
I don't know much about matching, but I feel like location is just as important of a consideration, no? So the number of say competitive specialties isn't the only factor, because a list full of NYU/Yale/UCLA/UCSF Internal Medicine matches is still very strong...so how does that affect this match list outcome?
Also, considering all this, second look just became more important XD. I'm assuming the physical one is cancelled of course, but any news about the virtual one? I want to ask questions and know more about Lehigh Valley, the graded curriculum, whether I can survive without a car, how expensive is rent...
Also, considering all this, second look just became more important XD. I'm assuming the physical one is cancelled of course, but any news about the virtual one? I want to ask questions and know more about Lehigh Valley, the graded curriculum, whether I can survive without a car, how expensive is rent...
Agreed, especially for an institution that has the 2nd most research dollars behind only U of F and also has a home program in every specialty. Why should matching ever be such an issue?
Doesn’t make any sense. You would think they would match a good amount at least into their own programs. But apparently not.. I still can’t understand what is USF lacking. If they have the scores, the research capabilities, other pertinent resources, what else would they need?
I have a friend at usf who is a current M4. From what he told me, a good amount of the people who had to SOAP, were students trying to match into dermatology, ENT, orthopedics etc. A majority of them had 250+ step scores, some even had AOA.
For orthopedics, USF's ortho home program did not reach out to other programs on the applicants behalf, which is a courtesy other medical schools typically do. Only 2 out of 7 students matched ortho this year, and similar numbers for derm and ENT.
What I also found out is USF did not offer good guidance on number of programs to apply to. A lot of people applying to hypercompetitive fields applied to less than 50% of total programs.
I don't think stats was a huge issue here, it was more of a lack of proper guidance and support from certain programs at USF.
I also know ppl at USF and may or may not be an alumnus. The SOAPers a lot tend to be ppl gunning for Ortho/derm/ENT, etc...I was sad to see some of those ppl on the match list who "matched" at random HCA/IM/FM places who I knew had to been smart enough to be in AOA (not sure if they were in AOA but they were definitely smart and had the grades to be in it). I also agree the advisement is rather poor...they always quote a study showing like if you apply to more than like....50? programs you rate of return is poor, but screw that! Honestly, if i was gunning for those hyper competitive fields, I would throw every dime to apply to them all or at least a huge #.
Had source evaluate the rest of this convo. Said: Ortho, EM, OBGYN & psych were hardest hit. Class had an avg STEP 1 of 232. Said there were for sure some superstar applicants in Derm & Ortho who didn't match. Said home programs in all of the above specialties took hardly any USF grads. From EM, Ortho & Obgyn combined, USF residencies only took 4 USF grads. Looks like having home programs didn't help at all. Worst seems to be EM. USF has 39 EM (affiliated) residency spots and only took 2 USF grads.
Also corrected what I said about USF only recently recruiting high scorers. Said last year's class was the first year of it so we're into the group USF has been working to recruit.
Last edited:
goldenboy4
Full Member
Had source evaluate the rest of this convo. Said: Ortho, EM, OBGYN & psych were hardest hit. Had an avg STEP 1 of 232. Said there were for sure some superstar applicants in Derm & Ortho who didn't match. Said home programs in all of the above specialties took hardly any USF grads. From EM, Ortho & Obgyn combined, USF residencies only took 4 USF grads. Looks like having home programs didn't help at all. Worst seems to be EM. USF has 39 EM (affiliated) residency spots and only took 2 USF grads.
Also corrected what I said about USF only recently recruiting high scorers. Said last year's class was the first year of it so we're into the group USF has been working to recruit.
Did your source give a plausible reason why this occurred?
Only suggested cause was potentially bad advising.Did your source give a plausible reason why this occurred?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1009711
Only suggested cause was potentially bad advising.
That's it though? The ONLY reason was bad advising??? I feel like med students are super neurotic and don't usually fall for that, and read forums for the true answers. At my undergrad (which was a pre-med factory) literally EVERYONE knew NEVER to trust the advisers lol.
So that's a little hard to believe...
But the home institution thing is weird indeed.
For the sake of clarity -- last year's entering class or last year's graduating class? If it's the latter, then it's not that recent -- that would mean they have been doing it for five years. Is that true?Had source evaluate the rest of this convo. Said: Ortho, EM, OBGYN & psych were hardest hit. Class had an avg STEP 1 of 232. Said there were for sure some superstar applicants in Derm & Ortho who didn't match. Said home programs in all of the above specialties took hardly any USF grads. From EM, Ortho & Obgyn combined, USF residencies only took 4 USF grads. Looks like having home programs didn't help at all. Worst seems to be EM. USF has 39 EM (affiliated) residency spots and only took 2 USF grads.
Also corrected what I said about USF only recently recruiting high scorers. Said last year's class was the first year of it so we're into the group USF has been working to recruit.
For the sake of clarity -- last year's entering class or last year's graduating class? If it's the latter, then it's not that recent -- that would mean they have been doing it for five years. Is that true?
Last years entering class.
Although if their current M1s are the supposed high stat superstars they’re banking on USF has another storm coming as I know at least 4 students from there from my undergrad and honeyyyy...
goldenboy4
Full Member
For the sake of clarity -- last year's entering class or last year's graduating class? If it's the latter, then it's not that recent -- that would mean they have been doing it for five years. Is that true?
Last years entering class.
Although if their current M1s are the supposed high stat superstars they’re banking on USF has another storm coming as I know at least 4 students from there from my undergrad and honeyyyy...![]()
He’s talking about last year’s graduating class, not entering class. But I think Class of 2020 (the one graduating) was the first year that Lockwood increased the requirements. The matriculated average was 513. The year after, class of 2021, was 514. It had been 510 for years.
And it was 517 last year and 516 this year, right? So, theoretically, this year's match is not necessarily indicative of what it will be in 2024, correct?He’s talking about last year’s graduating class, not entering class. But I think Class of 2020 (the one graduating) was the first year that Lockwood increased the requirements. The matriculated average was 513. The year after, class of 2021, was 514. It had been 510 for years.
goldenboy4
Full Member
And it was 517 last year and 516 this year, right? So, theoretically, this year's match is not necessarily indicative of what it will be in 2024, correct?
Actually it has been 515 for the last two years. MSAR is wrong.
I am not sure what the future holds. It could stagnate.
Last year's graduating class.For the sake of clarity -- last year's entering class or last year's graduating class? If it's the latter, then it's not that recent -- that would mean they have been doing it for five years. Is that true?
Hey gang, has anyone else gotten a call from USF asking for their SSN? It sounded legit, but also didn’t have a caller ID, so I wasn’t sure. I know that teleworking has thrown a big wrench in the gears, so it’s plausible to me that they could need it, but I just wanted to see if anybody else has heard anything...
Did you not write down your SSN on interview day? I recall them passing out a paper to write down our name and SSN.Hey gang, has anyone else gotten a call from USF asking for their SSN? It sounded legit, but also didn’t have a caller ID, so I wasn’t sure. I know that teleworking has thrown a big wrench in the gears, so it’s plausible to me that they could need it, but I just wanted to see if anybody else has heard anything...
I don’t recall doing that, but I’m sure it’s in my AMCAS app, no?Did you not write down your SSN on interview day? I recall them passing out a paper to write down our name and SSN.
excitingelectron
Full Member
I just got an interview invite after 9 months of silence. I’m going to turn it down (so hope someone else gets it!) but this is definition of it ain’t over til it’s over.
goldenboy4
Full Member
If anyone is looking for an interview still, I would email them today as their creating their final interview groups - [email protected] and express interest.
Approximately how long after the interview do we get decisions?
I am so stoked lol, just got an interview for CORE
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Between 2 weeks and neverApproximately how long after the interview do we get decisions?
its virtual
Hi Incoming Class,
Congrats on your acceptance. MS4 here who is looking for someone to take over our lease. We live in a small 1 bedroom behind Publix a 5 minute walk to TGH, 10 minute walk to CAMLS (Sim center) and 15 minute walk to the new medical school. You would take over the lease in June and we can leave you furniture since we are moving for residency & not taking any of it with us. Send me a direct message if interested. Rent and utilities run around $1200 depending on the month. Thanks!
Congrats on your acceptance. MS4 here who is looking for someone to take over our lease. We live in a small 1 bedroom behind Publix a 5 minute walk to TGH, 10 minute walk to CAMLS (Sim center) and 15 minute walk to the new medical school. You would take over the lease in June and we can leave you furniture since we are moving for residency & not taking any of it with us. Send me a direct message if interested. Rent and utilities run around $1200 depending on the month. Thanks!
plsletmeintomedschool26
Full Member
Could you talk at all (what you're allowed to say) about what the virtual interview was like? I have mine tomorrow lolI know how much I would appreciate this info if I wasn’t in the loop so yw friend! I interviewed virtually this week and received this email after. So it’s very possible this info on deadlines is relatively new but I have no way of knowing if it was due to applicant feedback.
Email was signed Edwing Daniel, Assistant Dean of MD Admissions.
SteministUnderGrad
Full Member
Hey! Okay, well mine was pretty unorthodox I’d say lol my interviewer was about as tech savvy as I am (not much at all) so it was kind of a struggle at first to get things figured out. Make sure you have a backup!! Like I had my laptop and boyfriend’s iPad ready with Microsoft teams downloaded on both just in case and I did end up having to use my old laptop after some WiFi issued on iPad (of course lol).Could you talk at all (what you're allowed to say) about what the virtual interview was like? I have mine tomorrow lol
As for the content itself, again mine was very unusual I’m sure. Depends entiiirely on who your interviewer is. Be prepared to talk about things you wish to highlight about your application. It felt very closed interview format to me because although my interviewer kept saying she already knew I was a great candidate based on stats and work experience/ECs, I don’t truly know if she looked at them. I basically rehashed all of the critical reasons I am applying (my journey to medicine), my relevant experiences (work, shadowing, volunteer), and other passions I’d bring to the class. Mine was extremely conversational and relaxed but I heard on the sdn interview feedback that there’s this one male interviewer that is high pressure (can’t think of name now), so be prepared for anything. But mainly, I think it helped overall with my anxiety having it be virtual.
It’s hard to give good advice since each interview is so different based on your interviewer, but my main takeaways:
1) Be prepared for technical difficulties and have backup plans in place
2) Be prepared to lead the conversation -felt more like a CLOSED interview than open
3) When it comes to asking your interviewer questions, remember most work in one sector of the school so they are unlikely to know specific info on academics, specialty tracks, dedicated step times, tuition, student wellness/ECs - use your questions for more valuable info you can’t get off the website
4) Remember that the virtual set up isn’t ideal for either of you, roll with the punches and try to make the best of the circumstances and you’ll do great!
I feel like I have ZERO clue how mine went, but I remained positive and passionate and my interview actually ran about 10 minutes past the allotted 60
Can anyone with MSAR subscription please list updated MCAT/GPA accepted/matriculated? Thanks
accepted: 516, 3.82c and 3.8s
matriculant: 516, 3.81c and 3.75s
plsletmeintomedschool26
Full Member
Wow you’re absolutely fantastic, thank you!Hey! Okay, well mine was pretty unorthodox I’d say lol my interviewer was about as tech savvy as I am (not much at all) so it was kind of a struggle at first to get things figured out. Make sure you have a backup!! Like I had my laptop and boyfriend’s iPad ready with Microsoft teams downloaded on both just in case and I did end up having to use my old laptop after some WiFi issued on iPad (of course lol).
As for the content itself, again mine was very unusual I’m sure. Depends entiiirely on who your interviewer is. Be prepared to talk about things you wish to highlight about your application. It felt very closed interview format to me because although my interviewer kept saying she already knew I was a great candidate based on stats and work experience/ECs, I don’t truly know if she looked at them. I basically rehashed all of the critical reasons I am applying (my journey to medicine), my relevant experiences (work, shadowing, volunteer), and other passions I’d bring to the class. Mine was extremely conversational and relaxed but I heard on the sdn interview feedback that there’s this one male interviewer that is high pressure (can’t think of name now), so be prepared for anything. But mainly, I think it helped overall with my anxiety having it be virtual.
It’s hard to give good advice since each interview is so different based on your interviewer, but my main takeaways:
1) Be prepared for technical difficulties and have backup plans in place
2) Be prepared to lead the conversation -felt more like a CLOSED interview than open
3) When it comes to asking your interviewer questions, remember most work in one sector of the school so they are unlikely to know specific info on academics, specialty tracks, dedicated step times, tuition, student wellness/ECs - use your questions for more valuable info you can’t get off the website
4) Remember that the virtual set up isn’t ideal for either of you, roll with the punches and try to make the best of the circumstances and you’ll do great!
I feel like I have ZERO clue how mine went, but I remained positive and passionate and my interview actually ran about 10 minutes past the allotted 60
SteministUnderGrad
Full Member
Yw friend 🙂 quarantine is making my text blocks longer lately lol but glad to helpWow you’re absolutely fantastic, thank you!
14% SOAP?
Malignant home programs that don't support students?

Malignant home programs that don't support students?
Hi Incoming Class,
Congrats on your acceptance. MS4 here who is looking for someone to take over our lease. We live in a small 1 bedroom behind Publix a 5 minute walk to TGH, 10 minute walk to CAMLS (Sim center) and 15 minute walk to the new medical school. You would take over the lease in June and we can leave you furniture since we are moving for residency & not taking any of it with us. Send me a direct message if interested. Rent and utilities run around $1200 depending on the month. Thanks!
Messaged you 🙂
psychology20192019
New Member
just got an interview for MD SELECT, complete late July, OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe I called them back since dates available dates are constantly changing. Probably fewer dates available now considering how late in the cycle we are, but I would call if you want the most up to date info.Did people accept the interview invite just by replying the offer email?
Flagship_man
New Member
What dates are available?
Are we sure this is accurate? This seems really high for an institution like USF. Last year, everyone matched w/o SOAPing I believe.14% SOAP?
Malignant home programs that don't support students?
![]()
goldenboy4
Full Member
Are we sure this is accurate? This seems really high for an institution like USF. Last year, everyone matched w/o SOAPing I believe.
curious...how do you know people matched without soaping last year?
I have friends who are med students herecurious...how do you know people matched without soaping last year?
