2019-2020 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:

Provide the name, location, and phone number of your current employer. (200 characters, not including spaces)

Although interests may change, what areas of medicine are you primarily interested in at the current time? (200 characters, not including spaces)

Have you previously applied?

Do you have undergraduate research experience? (Y/N)

OOS: Although our primary obligation is to residents of the State of Alabama, we do consider competitive, out-of-state applicants with strong ties to the
State of Alabama. Please write a brief essay explaining your ties to the State of Alabama.

Optional Essay (500 Words): The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefits from the inclusion of students with
broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society.Optional

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of South Alabama

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@PapaGuava

Prompts:

Provide the name, location, and phone number of your current employer. (200 characters, not including spaces)

Although interests may change, what areas of medicine are you primarily interested in at the current time? (200 characters, not including spaces)

Have you previously applied?

Do you have undergraduate research experience? (Y/N)

OOS: Although our primary obligation is to residents of the State of Alabama, we do consider competitive, out-of-state applicants with strong ties to the
State of Alabama. Please write a brief essay explaining your ties to the State of Alabama.

Optional Essay (500 Words): The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefits from the inclusion of students with
broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society.Optional

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no ties to Alabama... should I apply anyway or is this pretty much going to be a rejection?

When do interview notifications go out? Im guessing end of August or beginning of September if selected?

OOS but went to University of Alabama for 3.5 years and graduated from there; I'm assuming this is strong in-state ties, strong enough to get me considered correct? Can any current OOS students or current students comment on this?

I noticed South Alabama's USMLE scores trounce UABs. Seems like the instuction level at USA is really top notch. What is going on to have such a disparity (USA Step 1 = 235, UAB Step 1 = 226) ??

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed South Alabama's USMLE scores trounce UABs. Seems like the instuction level at USA is really top notch. What is going on to have such a disparity (USA Step 1 = 235, UAB Step 1 = 226) ??

South teaches to Step 1 pretty much. UAB not so much. Also, there are significantly less people at South and South makes it so you can't take Step if you are not ready, so a lot of people think their numbers are a little inflated.

Both carry a good match list though and that's what matters.

South teaches to Step 1 pretty much. UAB not so much. Also, there are significantly less people at South and South makes it so you can't take Step if you are not ready, so a lot of people think their numbers are a little inflated.

Both carry a good match list though and that's what matters.

How do they stop you from taking it? Is their cutoff based off of practice STEP scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they stop you from taking it? Is their cutoff based off of practice STEP scores?
I don't remember 100% sure, but I heard it from several current students. It may not that they prevent you because obviously this might be a little hard, but it's probably more like they strongly discourage it. Regardless, still good schools all around :).

I don't have a comittee letter based off of GPA requirements my school had to get one for MD (had to be 3.85+), i am thinking about applying with the 2 science and one other letter that the websites says, does anyone know if this is a big deal for USA? I

I don't have a comittee letter based off of GPA requirements my school had to get one for MD (had to be 3.85+), i am thinking about applying with the 2 science and one other letter that the websites says, does anyone know if this is a big deal for USA? I

Hey, current student at South here. I didn’t apply with a committee letter (my undergrad didn’t even offer them) and had no problems. As long as you meet the requirements they ask you for you are solid. Everyone here is super nice and understanding about things like that. Don’t sweat it.

Hey, current student at South here. I didn’t apply with a committee letter (my undergrad didn’t even offer them) and had no problems. As long as you meet the requirements they ask you for you are solid. Everyone here is super nice and understanding about things like that. Don’t sweat it.
thank you so much!!

@tqb4 I applied with no committee letter also and my school does offer them. I just did individual letters. They did not even ask about it at my interview

Any regular decision interview offers out there?

Schools can't send them out until Oct. 15

Think he might be talking about interview invites. IIs have been coming out the past few weeks. EDP was Sept 18th. They have been/will be interviewing non-ED every Wednesday since Sept 25th.

@hopefulpremed07
Hey, I saw that you posted here as a current student, and as an applicant I had a question for you. When USA accepted you, did they set a requirement for maintaining grades for senior year (ex. minimum GPA or a vague "maintain current performance")? I've heard of folks getting acceptances rescinded for grades and I'm probably looking at getting a B or two my senior year but I'm wondering if this is something I should try to avoid in case I get in here

@hopefulpremed07
Hey, I saw that you posted here as a current student, and as an applicant I had a question for you. When USA accepted you, did they set a requirement for maintaining grades for senior year (ex. minimum GPA or a vague "maintain current performance")? I've heard of folks getting acceptances rescinded for grades and I'm probably looking at getting a B or two my senior year but I'm wondering if this is something I should try to avoid in case I get in here

I was in a gap year when I applied so I wasn’t in classes, but in the acceptance letter it just said like “continued high academic performance” or something. But honestly if you’re accepted as long as you don’t fail your classes I highly doubt they’d rescind your acceptance. And definitely not for a couple of Bs!

I have an interview coming up next week- super excited! The MSAR says there are 3 traditional one-on-one interviews, is this correct? It would make sense with the time slot they listed, but I just wanted to confirm. Thank you!

I have an interview coming up next week- super excited! The MSAR says there are 3 traditional one-on-one interviews, is this correct? It would make sense with the time slot they listed, but I just wanted to confirm. Thank you!

Yep

When was your secondary complete?

what would be a competitive instate MCAT for USA?

Does anyone know how strict they are about having 3 letters of recommendation from science faculty? I have 2 and I have a third that could technically be considered because I did research and in order to get research credit towards my degree the research is inputted as a course with a course code on my transcript (even though it wasn't really a course) but the head of my research wrote me a LOR so maybe that could count? I'm really worried

Does anyone know how strict they are about having 3 letters of recommendation from science faculty? I have 2 and I have a third that could technically be considered because I did research and in order to get research credit towards my degree the research is inputted as a course with a course code on my transcript (even though it wasn't really a course) but the head of my research wrote me a LOR so maybe that could count? I'm really worried

As long as the research was in a science department then it sounds like that's a letter from science faculty. Don't remember if the language specifically mentioned science faculty that taught you in a course but if you received credit for research it sounds like that would count as well.

As long as the research was in a science department then it sounds like that's a letter from science faculty. Don't remember if the language specifically mentioned science faculty that taught you in a course but if you received credit for research it sounds like that would count as well.
Okay thank you so much! How would they know though? Should I email them about it or just leave it be? I'm scared that if I don't address it then I won't even be considered

Okay thank you so much! How would they know though? Should I email them about it or just leave it be? I'm scared that if I don't address it then I won't even be considered

If you're asking how they would know that it was a science faculty/research PI, I would assume whoever wrote you the LOR would have mentioned that somewhere in the letter. You provided your transcript which would have the record that you did in fact do research for credit.
You can email the admissions office if you really are feeling unsure, I doubt it would negatively impact your application. They were very understanding and friendly in my communication with them

Hey! I actually was in this exact same situation last year, even down to doing research for credit lol. I had 2 science professors and my PI as my 3rd science letter and they were fine with it!! I don’t think my PI even specified that he “taught” my research for credit course and it wasn’t an issue for me.

Any updates out there? Silence for me since July

Does anyone have any insight on the interviews and the types of questions they asked?

Anyone in Alabama get accepted by both USA and UAB?

To anyone who was admitted and got the email, have you received the letter in the mail from USA?