2020-2021 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an email saying my app got put on hold. Not what I was hoping for, but it is a response at least I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email saying my app got put on hold. Not what I was hoping for, but it is a response at least I guess.
I remember them saying that the bar is super high in the beginning so keep the faith!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed this past Wed. They explained to us that the first group of acceptances would be the top tier applicants. So people with the highest combined score of MCAT, GPA, and Interview. Most people would be placed on hold, and some people would be rejected. I think their post-interview acceptance rate is 68-70%.

I as well had my application put on hold, just hoping for an acceptance to come. Interviewed 11/18

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 10/22. Still waiting on any form of communication.

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, sent an update letter + grades and got an email back saying how incredibly behind they were due to the hurricanes and what not, so for those, like me, still waiting for an II (and OOS), seems like there's lots of time left, they also are historically very active late in the cycle, not sure if anything applies to anyone but sharing the update

Totally forgot to update here. Interviewed 12/09, got an acceptance yesterday. I would echo what others said on the bar being set high in the beginning and them still being really active through the rest of the cycle. So hang in there if you’re on hold or awaiting an II! And congrats to the others who got acceptances, heck of an accomplishment!!

Hey I also was accepted the other day and I was wondering if those of you who've been accepted know about a facebook page for this class?? Also to those of you who are waiting for acceptances just know that you are more than capable to be a doctor and I wish you luck!!

Hey I also was accepted the other day and I was wondering if those of you who've been accepted know about a facebook page for this class?? Also to those of you who are waiting for acceptances just know that you are more than capable to be a doctor and I wish you luck!!
I have no idea, but I've been wondering the same thing.

Hey guys! I interviewed here yesterday and thought that some of you might be curious about the format. They sent me an email with a personalized schedule about 5 days before the interview. It contained links with information about the school plus the names and background on my two interviewers (both faculty). They had us to login to zoom about 15 before the actual interview day started, I just chilled and played on my phone while I waited for the host to let me in at 9am. There was a welcome from the director of admissions (plus other information about the day/interview process) for about 40 min. They have built in breaks, so I had 20 min to relax before my first interview plus another 20 min break before my second. Both interviewers were incredible nice, came with prepared questions but it was overall pretty conversations. We then had a 45min Q&A current students who were very chill and helpful. Lastly, some closing remarks. It went very well I think. Let me know if you guys have any questions about it!
Can you tell about the MMI? How many MMI did have ?

Can you tell about the MMI? How many MMI did have ?
We all sign a nondisclosure agreement. The MMI section of the day is 30 minutes for UAB, but you may have better luck posting it on the Alabama thread.

Does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances will be released? I am aware of first wave of very highly scored applicants receiving offers of admission in early December, but for those of us who were placed on hold do we know when the next update will be?

Anyone have any advice for the interviews? Have only experienced closed file so a lil anxious about how the open file will go.

Anyone have any advice for the interviews? Have only experienced closed file so a lil anxious about how the open file will go.
1. Read you entire primary and secondary app the morning of so it's fresh on your mind. One of my interviewers had very clearly read my application thoroughly and was genuinely excited to ask me questions about my activities. I was more than glad I had brushed up on what exactly I had put down on my app.
2. Have a good answer to the "why do you want to be a doctor" question (remember: "I want to help people" and "I like science" are not adequate answers). Make sure your answer could not be the same answer if someone had asked you why you want to be a nurse or a science teacher or a social worker.
3. Show them that you want to go to South specifically but naming out the things there program offers that is compatible with what you want in a med school and how to want to train in becoming a doctor.
4. Have a personality. If you are an engaging person who is clearly passionate about medicine, that is an incredibly attractive trait to a medical school. Don't worry about saying to perfect thing, or being the 100% most professional person on the planet. This interview is about you as a person. Show them who you are.

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee is meeting? And is “hold” the same as waitlist or not?

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee is meeting? And is “hold” the same as waitlist or not?
A "hold" means that a final decision has not been made yet. Every two weeks, the admissions committee meets and scores the people they have interviewed in that time frame. If your score exceeds a certain threshold, you get an acceptance. If it does not, you get a hold. However, the admissions committee gradually lowers the required score for an A over the course of the application season until they have filled all of their seats. So, it's kind of like a waitlist, but most of their interviewees (except a select few) receive a hold at first until an A is finally granted later in the cycle.

Is South Alabama pretty active toward the end of the cycle? I'm an in-state applicant and was complete in late August. Interviewed at UAB in November and also starting to think South Alabama has forgotten about me. LM is 75 and ORM.

Is South Alabama pretty active toward the end of the cycle? I'm an in-state applicant and was complete in late August. Interviewed at UAB in November and also starting to think South Alabama has forgotten about me. LM is 75 and ORM.
I know they’re a little behind. They said they were a month behind in December. They’ll continue to interview until March.

I’m similar to you but also opposite. Also IS, ORM, complete in late August but LM is like 68. UAB ignored me for a while and rejected me recently, while I got an II to South in November.

+1, maybe I should send them an update to remind I exist?

Any idea about how many apps they receive per cycle or specifically received this cycle?

Any idea about how many apps they receive per cycle or specifically received this cycle?
Honestly doubt it matters because even if they have a surplus of OOS, they don't look at OOS unless they have extremely strong ties of some sort (definitely some exceptions I'm sure). They may have more IS residents not cancelling interviews though? but I doubt they change how many they interview considering they're primarily IS. Just my $0.02 though. According to MSAR they received ~1500 last year 430/1120 IS/OOS and Interviewed 182/16 IS/OOS last year

Honestly doubt it matters because even if they have a surplus of OOS, they don't look at OOS unless they have extremely strong ties of some sort (definitely some exceptions I'm sure). They may have more IS residents not cancelling interviews though? but I doubt they change how many they interview considering they're primarily IS. Just my $0.02 though. According to MSAR they received ~1500 last year 430/1120 IS/OOS and Interviewed 182/16 IS/OOS last year
Yes I was just curious. Wow 1500 is such a small number of applicants....thanks for the info. I am in state and I recently received an II so hoping for the best.

II about 2 hours ago! I'm ecstatic! This is my first II. Submitted 9/14...stats in my signature 😍

In state
URM
Interview scheduled for early February

INTERVIEW ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED...especially a lot of school specific advantages. It can be difficult to determine why each school is specifically appealing
Congratulations on your interview!! When are you scheduled for? Let us know what they say about when they plan on sending out Another round of updates

Congratulations on your interview!! When are you scheduled for? Let us know what they say about when they plan on sending out Another round of updates
Thank you! February 10. I'll see what I can find out 👀

So, is the committee supposed to meet tomorrow to send out the next wave of A's on Friday?

So, is the committee supposed to meet tomorrow to send out the next wave of A's on Friday?
How does that work? I interview tomorrow, so can I expect a 3 day turnaround? I know a friend last spring who was accepted the week of. I guess they'll probably tell me more tomorrow but curious

How does that work? I interview tomorrow, so can I expect a 3 day turnaround? I know a friend last spring who was accepted the week of. I guess they'll probably tell me more tomorrow but curious
What they told me interview day is that they meet Wednesday afternoon after the interview day is over and score everybody. Then they have the bar set high initially and whatever the score the bar is at, those who have that score or higher get acceptances that Friday (the dean said 1-3 each interview day will hear back that soon, most will go on hold).

So I guess I just wonder do they talk about all candidates that have interviewed on Wednesday or only interviewees from that specific day?

Anyone know how many interview days are left or how many seats are still available? Do they send out interview invites on certain days?

Anyone know how many interview days are left or how many seats are still available? Do they send out interview invites on certain days?
I know they will be interviewing into March. Most of the seats are still open because so far they have accepted just the early decision and their first batch in their Dec meeting. As mentioned above they will be doing another group of acceptances this Friday. I personally got my II on a Wednesday but I don’t know if there’s a particular day.

I know they will be interviewing into March. Most of the seats are still open because so far they have accepted just the early decision and their first batch in their Dec meeting. As mentioned above they will be doing another group of acceptances this Friday. I personally got my II on a Wednesday but I don’t know if there’s a particular day.

Does USA have a social media account where they announce this information(like UAB)?

They don't meet again until next Wednesday, so wouldn't be expecting anything this Friday, but next (2/12/21) per what Mr. Scott said today in the interview

Just withdrew my A, hopefully this opens up a spot for one of you get an II or A!!!

Reactions: 2 users