2019-2020 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Yale University

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if MSTP students at Yale also do more research and write a MD thesis?

I just submitted this secondary, when I check the status the LoR are received however it says incomplete for me. Is anyone else having this issue?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted this secondary, when I check the status the LoR are received however it says incomplete for me. Is anyone else having this issue?
When did you receive the secondary?
And usually it can take some time for a school to mark you as complete after you have submitted everything.

Reactions: 1 users
When did you receive the secondary?
And usually it can take some time for a school to mark you as complete after you have submitted everything.
This morning. I'm guessing they are sending them out in waves.

This morning. I'm guessing they are sending them out in waves.
Would you mind posting the prompts if they are different from last year? I would really appreciate it!

Reactions: 3 users
Required Essay 1:
Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?
500 Words

Required Essay 2 (please select one of the following): (Both 500 words)

MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.

Additional Information (Optional)
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application.

Please limit your response to 500 words.

There is also an activities/achievements section, questions about your academic background (multiple choice), and parental/diversity questions (multiple choice).

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received.

Havent submitted, but mine says the same. Probs takes a day or two once you submit to become complete.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received 9:13am EST

Verified 6/18

Secondary received and I haven't been verified yet (submitted 6/12). Anyone recurve one without being verified? Not sure if I should wait to submit or just submit now since I'm ready.

Reactions: 2 users
How are people approaching the research question: "Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine." I'm a little caught up about how I would "contribute to scholarship". Like do I want to continue doing research in med school and afterwards? Seems like too simple of a question.

How are people approaching the research question: "Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine." I'm a little caught up about how I would "contribute to scholarship". Like do I want to continue doing research in med school and afterwards? Seems like too simple of a question.

I talked about a specific research area at Yale I am interested in.

The question, the optional essay here is not a good place for a why Yale essay correct?

Submitted, best of luck everyone!

Just wondering... neither of my parents went to Yale but both my grandparents did and my grandfather was actually a professor there for awhile. Should I list that in Yale's "anything else" section? I don't want to look like I'm exploiting that relationship or anything...

Just wondering... neither of my parents went to Yale but both my grandparents did and my grandfather was actually a professor there for awhile. Should I list that in Yale's "anything else" section? I don't want to look like I'm exploiting that relationship or anything...
Additional Information (Optional)
If you are referring to this, it would make sense if your grandparents took you to the school and made you interested in the school. It specifically asks if you have any personal information you would like to discuss.

I submitted my secondary today, and then downloaded a copy of the final pdf. On one of my essays there are two "?" at the end of different paragraphs. I never entered these in, are they transcription errors through copying over from Google Drive. My neurotic self is taking this to heart.

The question, the optional essay here is not a good place for a why Yale essay correct?
Why would it not be? Seems reasonable to explain you interest in Yale there. is there a downside?

Is anyone not answering the "Optional" third prompt?

"Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee."

Who actually uploaded stuff to this already

"Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee."

Who actually uploaded stuff to this already

I figure this would be a good place to upload research theses or publications, right? What about PDFs of posters? I will probably do that in addition to a CV.

I would not do this unless specifically asked.

They do mention "abstracts ... or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee"

Wouldn't a publication or poster be even more informative/beneficial to your app than an abstract?

They do mention "abstracts ... or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee"

Wouldn't a publication or poster be even more informative/beneficial to your app than an abstract?

If you upload it, they have to read it. And making them do more work than they have to will make them angry. Or so I've heard.

Ok, thanks for the info. Will probably not upload anything then

Why would it not be? Seems reasonable to explain you interest in Yale there. is there a downside?

Is anyone not answering the "Optional" third prompt?
I used it to update on my current year and explain a withdrawal in my transcript. I think when schools don't have a specific place for that its usually what the optional section is geared to.

If you upload it, they have to read it. And making them do more work than they have to will make them angry. Or so I've heard.

Whoops. I'm gonna pray this isn't the case.

Would it be a good idea to ask them to remove it?

Whoops. I'm gonna pray this isn't the case.

Would it be a good idea to ask them to remove it?
definitely not true.... they explicitly say anything you upload won't necessarily be reviewed. Med schools don't need to look at anything they don't want to honestly. That being said I don't think its smart to bombard them with anything you ever published... especially posters would be a no.

Limit it to publication PDFs then maybe? Was considering my senior thesis too

definitely not true.... they explicitly say anything you upload won't necessarily be reviewed. Med schools don't need to look at anything they don't want to honestly. That being said I don't think its smart to bombard them with anything you ever published... especially posters would be a no.

It was publications, but the abstract is at the front of each. That way at least if they don't wanna read the whole thing, they can just skim the abstract.

Received mine, not verified yet either (submitted 6/11 so any day now).

If we answered the Institutional Action question yes on the primary (was placed on academic probation freshman year for GPA below a certain cutoff), do we answer the question below yes as well? The thrust of this question seems a lot more serious.

"Have you been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you been convicted of a criminal offense? Are there disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you?"

Ah! I’m in this position too!! Any help would be appreciated. I was under the belief to answer no since the acpro IA was just a warning and nothing actually happened so doesn’t seem as serious as the question but but I’m unsure!

Just want to clarify, but is the activities and achievements just for things we have done in undergrad?

Is there a specific format they want the abstracts? I was just going to use PDFs but they don't look official or anything even though they are published