2020-2021 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A paragraph or two. Definitely less than a page.

Source: pre-med adviser told me my update + continued interest letter should be less than a page total, so I'm assuming LOI should be equally as short if not shorter (since there's less to say).
Seconded. I think mine was about a page. I would def not go over a page
 
A paragraph or two. Definitely less than a page.

Source: pre-med adviser told me my update + continued interest letter should be less than a page total, so I'm assuming LOI should be equally as short if not shorter (since there's less to say).
Ehh personally I’m always Hesitant to trust pre-med advisors opinions as the be all end all. Have written letters of interest to schools way longer than a page that have been well received and led to an acceptance (time will tell if the others are wrote lead to rejections though haha). Also know people at schools (including the best ones ) who wrote letters longer than a page. Always good to try and explain why you are a good fit as succinctly as possible, but don’t necessarily think there is a cutoff. If anything, the enthusiasm could make you stick out in a positive (or I suppose negative) way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did everyone send their W2s and tax returns to the YSM Financial Aid email or is there a place we are supposed to upload it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think it’s too late to send an update letter now (and wait until decisions to send it if waitlisted)? It won’t contain anything major like a pub, but I want to mention some projects I’ve completed and activities I’ve been doing since turning in the secondary.
 
Should we expect decisions to be released next week? I saw in the threads of the past two years, they released decisions at the end of February.
 
I know no one would know for certain, but it is reasonable to think this Friday may be the day for decisions? I am just trying to wrap my head around the cycle possibly ending. Not trying to make anyone anxious or unnecessarily stressed, but trying to relieve that of my own 🙂
 
If we’re going to speculate, it looks like the decisions were released on the last Thursday in February for the past three cycles. Applied to this cycle, decisions would come out on February 25th. However, the 25th would also be the earliest decisions came out in any of those cycles as well, which, especially given the covid delays this time, could point towards the following Thursday, March 4th. For your own sanity and wellbeing I advise you to take these musings with a grain of salt. We may be waiting until March 15th for all I know.
 
If we’re going to speculate, it looks like the decisions were released on the last Thursday in February for the past three cycles. Applied to this cycle, decisions would come out on February 25th. However, the 25th would also be the earliest decisions came out in any of those cycles as well, which, especially given the covid delays this time, could point towards the following Thursday, March 4th. For your own sanity and wellbeing I advise you to take these musings with a grain of salt. We may be waiting until March 15th for all I know.
Also since the priority deadline for financial aid is is Feb 26th, I feel like they are going to send out the decisions shortly after then.
 
Does the priority deadline mean you have to do the CSS profile before then as well?
i think everything (fafsa, css, tax returns/w2, online form) has to be in by the priority deadline to get financial aid award ASAP. If its in later you'll just find out about aid later I suppose
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have they revealed via email or in any recent interviews when their decision date is? in my interview they said they were aiming for the first week of march...not sure it thats changed or if more recent interviews were provided with an updated time frame?
 
I'm super confused about this financial aid deadline. I get FAFSA, CSS, and the institutional app but confused about the other requirements and how to submit them. Were you guys able to activate your NetID? How did you submit tax documents?

You don't get a NetID until you've enrolled. You should directly email or fax the tax documents to fin aid office.
 
hello, has anyone who's filling out the financial aid forms know what to put for Yale ID. They ask for your Yale ID on the certification of information and on the non-tax filer form. but as far i know we don't have a Yale ID until we are admitted?? im so confused, is this just suppose to be our AMCAS ID or am i missing something.

also i have somewhere in mynotes from my interview that we need to fill out the forms for the 2020-2021 year, but i feel like i might have misheard or miswritten that. we are suppose to be filling for 2021-2022 right?
 
hello, has anyone who's filling out the financial aid forms know what to put for Yale ID. They ask for your Yale ID on the certification of information and on the non-tax filer form. but as far i know we don't have a Yale ID until we are admitted?? im so confused, is this just suppose to be our AMCAS ID or am i missing something.

also i have somewhere in mynotes from my interview that we need to fill out the forms for the 2020-2021 year, but i feel like i might have misheard or miswritten that. we are suppose to be filling for 2021-2022 right?
Yes, I think it says somewhere to put AMCAS ID where Yale ID is supposed to go.
 
And anyone know around what time decisions were released last year - is this a morning thing or a “jittery and waiting until the end of the business day” thing
 
And anyone know around what time decisions were released last year - is this a morning thing or a “jittery and waiting until the end of the business day” thing
I was stalking some previous threads and although I’m not exactly sure how to check the time of posts, on the day decisions were released people were talking about how they were giving up hope for the day making it seem that it was a late afternoon release
 
I was stalking some previous threads and although I’m not exactly sure how to check the time of posts, on the day decisions were released people were talking about how they were giving up hope for the day making it seem that it was a late afternoon release
also stalked an earlier thread and someone had said something about it being 3 pm and nobody had heard anything so the pattern implies a later in the afternoon decision release
 
And anyone know around what time decisions were released last year - is this a morning thing or a “jittery and waiting until the end of the business day” thing
Looking at past years:

2017-2018: 2:15pm
2018-2019: 4:30pm
2019-2020: 4:10pm


I was stalking some previous threads and although I’m not exactly sure how to check the time of posts, on the day decisions were released people were talking about how they were giving up hope for the day making it seem that it was a late afternoon release

On the browser the time shows up if you hover over the date
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad