2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do classes start in July or late august? The website says July but when I called the registrar said august so I’m a little confused

Members don't see this ad.

Do classes start in July or late august? The website says July but when I called the registrar said august so I’m a little confused
It's definitely July 6. No question.

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely July 6. No question.
Why does AZ start classes so early? Their summers are so short. I don’t think any of the breaks are longer v other schools so do they have more in the curriculum or teach at a dif rate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does AZ start classes so early? Their summers are so short. I don’t think any of the breaks are longer v other schools so do they have more in the curriculum or teach at a dif rate?
Compared to UACOM-T, there's an extra week break in September! (UACOM-T starts a week later though :) )

If AZ is a newer program, step 1 is P/F, and no more step 2 - will it be harder to match into competitive specialties from this program?

Would the school you attended play a greater role in your strength as a residency match applicant? you can’t just score super well on step and stand out anymore. Would going to a more established program be more beneficial?

Is there a reason their school year is so long? Is the curriculum more intense?
So I have asked a few current student about this; there are a few factors. Firstly, like @Saganomics said, there are quite a few breaks and also there are several capstone weeks thrown in there, which is just like dedicated time to shadowing/exploring specialties where there is not much time learning in class. The preclinical curriculum also ends much earlier (January of 2nd year), so there is 6 weeks in January and February to prepare for and take Step 1. With step 1 being P/F, that just means we could take Step 1 the last week of January and have all of Feb as vacation (as far as I understand). The advantage to this is that rotations start in March/April of 2nd year, leaving a LOT of time for electives. According to the curriculum map, it looks like there are 24 rotation elective weeks + 4 weeks of your choice of a sub-I rotation. That is huge! And provides a ton of flexibility for doing away rotations.

What were the avg step 1, step 2 usmle scores for any previous classes?

Got an email that the deadline to accept the position of the alternate list was extended. I wonder what this means....🤔

Got an email that the deadline to accept the position of the alternate list was extended. I wonder what this means....🤔
I think they are doing that to allow you to still have enough time to choose in case you get off multiple alternate list. This year has been a weird one.

It means fill out the form if you want to stay in consideration lol

It means fill out the form if you want to stay in consideration lol
Oh yeah, I understand we need to fill out the form. I was just wondering if anyone has any inferences about what that might mean in terms of admission? Like if the extension is a signal that their might be movement on the waitlist or anything. But I see I’m the only over thinker on this thread. Lol

Last edited:
Hi everyone, does anyone know/remember from the VAVD if class lectures are recorded?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any other accepted applicants get that email that was supposed to be sent to those on the alternate list?

Edit: nvm, I see that it was recalled

Last edited:
Did you get the email they sent yesterday? Al lectures will be virtual

I am on alternate list. I did not receive an email about this. I assume you did? Are you accepted or on alternate list?

I really like this school and want to go here.

Does anyone know anything about the alternate list for the pathway scholars program?

I am on alternate list. I did not receive an email about this. I assume you did? Are you accepted or on alternate list?

I really like this school and want to go here.
Dr. Fogerty sent the email yesterday to accepted applicants outlining the Class of 2025 entry plan explaining what things will be in-person mandatory, virtual, or opt-in.

Do we have access to our NetID's yet? Trying to upload med records and I can't seem to find mine

Anyone planning or been successful in petitioning from OOS to IS after their first year? V confused on the financial independence rule...my parents filed me as a dependent on their taxes for 2020 but I was working full time after graduation so not sure. How do people show financial independence after their first yr if they don’t work while in med school

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone planning or been successful in petitioning from OOS to IS after their first year? V confused on the financial independence rule...my parents filed me as a dependent on their taxes for 2020 but I was working full time after graduation so not sure. How do people show financial independence after their first yr if they don’t work while in med school
Wondering the same thing

Hi all, I just gave up my seat. Wishing WL the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my offer. Awesome school and wonderful people. Wishing all the best to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
I was also just pulled from the Waitlist! Dean Fogerty mentioned that they were conservative with initial A's and had just started to call waitlisted applicants within the last few days. I had my VAVD in early March

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just got pulled off the WL! November VAVD. My first A!!

Reactions: 4 users
Do the financial aid awards on the financial aid estimate seem kinda low to anyone else or is it just me...?

Do the financial aid awards on the financial aid estimate seem kinda low to anyone else or is it just me...?
UACOMP is not very well funded, so you won't get a lot from grant aid on the financial aid estimate. I even tried to get UACOMP to match aid I got at another institution and they wouldn't do it because they said they just didn't have the funding. If you want extra fin aid, you'll have to try your luck at the scholarship application to get donor scholarships which are more significant.

1000 characters

If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them?

What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school?

The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix.

Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine?

Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, your plan during this application season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications.
Does anyone know how we go about the first question? It seems weird to just describe things about the school that they already know.

Does anyone know how we go about the first question? It seems weird to just describe things about the school that they already know.
Hey I was accepted to U of A college of medicine but the Tucson campus. However, I had the same question for my secondary to U of A. The question in my opinion is to let the school know that you did your research and they aren’t a school you just added for the hell of it. So theoretically speaking, if a school has a lot of clubs and organizations that work with the underserved, then you could say “I would describe the College of Medicine as an institution that cares about its community and has a commitment to underserved populations in and around the Phoenix area”.