2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received a deferral as well. Sad to be deferred, but very happy it isn't an R. What a relief.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve noticed on us news Tucson is ranked but Phoenix is unranked - is there a reason for that?

Also - does Phoenix rank its students? Or is it truly an unranked program?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get their financial report today? Gift aid is what we do not have to repay right? (ie like a scholarship)

Did anyone else get their financial report today? Gift aid is what we do not have to repay right? (ie like a scholarship)

Yes and that is a gift from the school and actually has nothing to do with your FAFSA. Now you can also apply to need based scholarships and those will require your FAFSA.

Yes and that is a gift from the school and actually has nothing to do with your FAFSA. Now you can also apply to need based scholarships and those will require your FAFSA.
Yes we can still apply to need-based scholarships, but the email did say that these grants were awarded to us our based on our FAFSAs. The email says: "These grant awards are not a scholarship and contingent upon financial need as determined by information received from your FAFSA (which must be received by our deadline for grants) and may vary depending on funding."

Not super optimistic about getting an interview this late in the cycle, but still haven't gotten rejected? Any idea if they are still interviewing? Silent rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R! Good luck to everyone else.

• Care
Pre-II R today. Thought I had a chance since I interviewed at Tucson, but no luck!
This process can be so random sometimes! I got an A from Phoenix, but didn't even get an interview from Tucson :unsure:. But congrats on your great cycle so far!

Another Monday, another day spent anxiously waiting for a phone call that will never come. Best of luck to everyone waiting on post-II decisions!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Guess not? In addition to deferred applicants, what VAVD was supposed to hear back today?
Today was supposed to be for the 2/22 VAVD participants. Do waitlist/rejection emails usually go out on Monday as well?

Today was supposed to be for the 2/22 VAVD participants. Do waitlist/rejection emails usually go out on Monday as well?
Yeah later in the afternoon supposedly. Finding it odd no one has reported an A though..

If no calls are really going out today, I bet it’s because the committee hasn’t met in the short week between decision days. Maybe they’ll just push everyone back until 4/5 with the final (3/9) VAVD attendees.

Just got post VAVD R! VAVD 2/23

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else think it's weird that 101 OOS As and only 55 IS As have been offered?

Does anyone else think it's weird that 101 OOS As and only 55 IS As have been offered?
My estimate is that there will end up being around 85 IS As and 135 OOS As. This will roughly be a 50% acceptance rate of IS and 35% A rate for OOS. And the total number of acceptances will be in line with the proportion for previous years to give a class size of 120.

You have to remember that in-state people are vastly more likely to accept an admissions offer than out of state.

Last edited:
have people been getting rejected or always deferred on these days? Are they just pushing everyone down the road for an R wave?

For those who’ve been accepted, is there anything we have to do to confirm the acceptance? My personal student portal only says to notify them no later than April 30th, but is there anything else we have to do in the meantime?

For those who’ve been accepted, is there anything we have to do to confirm the acceptance? My personal student portal only says to notify them no later than April 30th, but is there anything else we have to do in the meantime?
I don’t think there’s anything within the personal student portal—I think acceptances have to go through the AAMC choose your medical school tool.

(Someone please jump in here if I’m way off-base :) )

I don’t think there’s anything within the personal student portal—I think acceptances have to go through the AAMC choose your medical school tool.

(Someone please jump in here if I’m way off-base :) )
I know with other schools, they asked you to accept their offer of admission and you could accept multiple just to have access to all the resources and get a financial aid package...I’m confused as to whether I was supposed to accept an offer from Arizona somewhere ?

People who got their fafsas processed to get fin aid packages from UA - did you accept your offer or did they extend the package without you formalizing your decision? I was told they couldn’t access my fafsa until I accepted my offer?

People who got their fafsas processed to get fin aid packages from UA - did you accept your offer or did they extend the package without you formalizing your decision? I was told they couldn’t access my fafsa until I accepted my offer?

I haven’t formally accepted my offer but received an email from the financial aid office regarding scholarships available that I could apply to, plus what my cost of attendance is and if I am to take loans how much I am to take. It took a week or so to receive that email. I will recommend contacting the financial office, they are really responsive.

This doesn't seem quite right. There is nothing for UA-PHX where you have to accept an offer or anything. I got the financial aid package emailed to me as well, but there is nothing that needed to be accepted there either. As long as you send your FAFSA to U of A you should be fine. DM if you want and we can talk more.

Also... it looks like there is no longer an admissions tracker on their site? Anyone know why? It was always so helpful and interesting to view.

Do we send our fafsa to Tucson? I didn’t see an option for Phoenix

Also, any OOS considering Phoenix feel free to dm me. I’m also OOS and weighing my options and would love to talk to someone about the program and how they’re making their decision

Do we send our fafsa to Tucson? I didn’t see an option for Phoenix
It's just general "University of Arizona." If you use Title IV school code: 001083, that's all that matters.

I saw this on the website but I thought we didn’t have to do anything with our offers until June?

“If an applicant receives an acceptance offer from UA College of Medicine prior to April 30, a written response (via the online acceptance portal) must be received within 10 days of the offer. The response will indicate if an applicant will accept or decline the offer. If an applicant does not respond within the 10-day timeline, the acceptance offer is automatically rescinded.”

I saw this on the website but I thought we didn’t have to do anything with our offers until June?

“If an applicant receives an acceptance offer from UA bunny training of Medicine prior to April 30, a written response (via the online acceptance portal) must be received within 10 days of the offer. The response will indicate if an applicant will accept or decline the offer. If an applicant does not respond within the 10-day timeline, the acceptance offer is automatically rescinded.”
It looks like this is on the UA Tucson website? I don’t see this anywhere on the Phoenix’s website. However check out this
timeline. The deadline is June 7th and we officially accept admission by selecting “commit to enroll” through AAMC.

Last edited:
It looks like this is on the UA Tucson website? I don’t see this anywhere on the Phoenix’s website. However check out this
timeline. The deadline is June 7th and we officially accept admission by selecting “commit to enroll” through AAMC.
Can we still remain on other schools' waitlists after selecting commit to enroll?