2020-2021 East Carolina (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: East Carolina University

Secondary Essays for 2020-2021

Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essay should be limited to 300-500 words and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.
Reflect on your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience. (300-500 words) (optional)

The Covid19 pandemic has had a dramatic impact on everyday life across the world. From your perspective, reflect upon what you have learned or experienced during this time and how will this impact you going forward. (300-500 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Brody makes any exceptions to the statistics requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the secondary too. Are there no essays?? I'm having technical difficulties I think.

Last edited:
I received the secondary too. Are there no essays?? I'm having technical difficulties I think.
I had the same issue too...I was only prompted to upload photo/documents. No additional questions...doesn't seem right.

Update: received a second email with the full secondary.

Awesome. I'll wait for mine! Also, did you fill out the NC Residency form yet? For the college enrollment part: Do you know when you plan to enroll? Should we put 2021 Fall even though we are still applying to the school?

Secondary Essays for 2020-2021

Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essay should be limited to 300-500 words and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.
Reflect on your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience. (300-500 words) (optional)

The Covid19 pandemic has had a dramatic impact on everyday life across the world. From your perspective, reflect upon what you have learned or experienced during this time and how will this impact you going forward. (300-500 words)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome. I'll wait for mine! Also, did you fill out the NC Residency form yet? For the college enrollment part: Do you know when you plan to enroll? Should we put 2021 Fall even though we are still applying to the school?
I said 'did not know' which maybe wasn't the right thing to put... but I still got residency and the 10 digit code so I'm not too worried about it. I bet you could put 2021 or put 'do not know' and still be fine.

Has anyone received a confirmation email post submission to Brody? I submitted a few days ago and have not received any emails.

Has anyone received a confirmation email post submission to Brody? I submitted a few days ago and have not received any emails.

I got a 'completed your Applicant Gateway Activities' email 3 days after submission, which also interestingly made it sound like interviews would be conducted on campus.

I’m a little nervous bc I have not received such an email and I submitted five days ago now

Has anyone else received a confirmation email? I only submitted mine yesterday I was just wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied before and know when the ecu update will refresh to the current cycle?

Has anyone applied before and know when the ecu update will refresh to the current cycle?
they just started class this week so i would think the website updates will change within the next few weeks when they start sending invites. they usually update around the 1st and 15th of each month so also wouldn't be surprised if the first update didn't come until september!

Does anyone know for sure if they're doing on campus interviews? The complete email made it seem like they are.

How long after verification/primary sent did everyone get a secondary? Mine sent on 08/14 (a Friday) and I havent received a secondary email as of this morning 08/17.

The submission deadline says....

If the email invitation to complete the supplemental application material is dated......then your application must be completed by:

10/15/2020..............................................11/01/2020

10/16/2020-11/01/2020........................11/15/2020

After 11/01/2020.....................................11/25/2020

If i received my secondary on 8/10, then I dont understand when its due?

The submission deadline says....

If the email invitation to complete the supplemental application material is dated......then your application must be completed by:

10/15/2020..............................................11/01/2020

10/16/2020-11/01/2020........................11/15/2020

After 11/01/2020.....................................11/25/2020

If i received my secondary on 8/10, then I dont understand when its due?
If you get the secondary by 10/15, its due on 11/1, so yours is due by 11/1.

How long after verification/primary sent did everyone get a secondary? Mine sent on 08/14 (a Friday) and I havent received a secondary email as of this morning 08/17.

Just wanted to follow up on this and say that I received the secondary this morning as of 08/20!

Just received my secondary on the 19th! I think there was glitch because I received multiple emails, the 1st one with no essays. But I eventually revived the full app.
I wonder does Brody send secondaries to ALL applicants? Or is there an initial screening process? Just curious

Just received my secondary on the 19th! I think there was glitch because I received multiple emails, the 1st one with no essays. But I eventually revived the full app.
I wonder does Brody send secondaries to ALL applicants? Or is there an initial screening process? Just curious
The website doesn't mention any type of screen! Don't submit this secondary unless you're an NC resident, of course.

The website doesn't mention any type of screen! Don't submit this secondary unless you're an NC resident, of course.
Oh of course! I heard the school is grayed out for non-residents, to where you cannot submit the primary. But who knows, thanks for letting me know though! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle

I'm a little confused about the pre-req designation on the secondary. When it says "minimum grades" = 2, does that mean I need to select 2 classes for that individual section? How would I do that when, for example, it asks for General Chemistry (I) and General Chemistry (II) separately?

I'm a little confused about the pre-req designation on the secondary. When it says "minimum grades" = 2, does that mean I need to select 2 classes for that individual section? How would I do that when, for example, it asks for General Chemistry (I) and General Chemistry (II) separately?
It means the minimum grade they accept is a 2.0 (like GPA wise). So that would be a letter grade of a C

Anyone know when the interview invites are going to start rolling in?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
For the competencies section in the secondary, should we assign all (maybe not hobbies) of our experiences to one of the three competencies or are they only looking for ones that directly address those 3? I am confused if I should include my non-medical employment, teaching experience, etc. under the Non-medical volunteer/service work? Any suggestions are appreciated thank you!!!

For the competencies section in the secondary, should we assign all (maybe not hobbies) of our experiences to one of the three competencies or are they only looking for ones that directly address those 3? I am confused if I should include my non-medical employment, teaching experience, etc. under the Non-medical volunteer/service work? Any suggestions are appreciated thank you!!!
I would say the latter. But they'll still see that you worked, and take that into account. I wouldn't add it to service work because then they'll think you can't follow instructions! That's what I did at least--good luck :)

I would say the latter. But they'll still see that you worked, and take that into account. I wouldn't add it to service work because then they'll think you can't follow instructions! That's what I did at least--good luck :)
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!! Best of luck to you as well!

Anyone know when the interview invites are going to start rolling in?

Just wanted to bump this topic - Anyone know when IIs are rolling out? slash has anyone gotten one yet?

Just wanted to bump this topic - Anyone know when IIs are rolling out? slash has anyone gotten one yet?
The admissions update on their website hasn't been updated since June and still has last cycle's info. My guess is that they haven't sent II's yet and probably won't update the webpage until they do. Just a guess though.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received an interview from ECU yet? It's been so quiet.. :O

I'm lowkey okay with the silence because I'm still awaiting scores from my late MCAT...

I applied early/committed decision and today was the cutoff. I received an email from admissions at 4pm that was brief, but said that since they were “unable to offer an interview at this time” they will consider me in the regular decision pool. I couldn’t tell if they could not offer interviews in general at this time or just didn’t want to interview me. Could be the early decision version of a waitlist lol, but I’m still hopeful for an interview. Good luck to all of you!

Yeah... this time last year ECU had already given out multiple interviews. I wonder why they’re so quiet this year

Any update fellas? Im patiently waiting lmao

II just now. Maybe I am stupid but the email makes little to no sense. Am I supposed to just rank these date options in my reply? Anyone else get an II and have thoughts?

Reactions: 3 users
II just now. Maybe I am stupid but the email makes little to no sense. Am I supposed to just rank these date options in my reply? Anyone else get an II and have thoughts?
Wow Congrats!!!! May I ask, when were you complete?

Finally an update from ECU!

II just now as well. Yes, rank them in order of preference in a reply.

II yesterday for regular decision. Complete 7/18 and I added my info to the II tracker. Just a heads up one of the duplicate entries is inaccurate b/c I apparently can't read smh