2021-2022 East Carolina (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if Brody accepts pre interview update letters or letters of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

70% of seats are not filled. They’ve offered that many spots but usually they offer about 1.5 to double the amount of seats that actually matriculate.
So what would happen if everyone who is offered a seat matriculates? Their class size is always around 80-85. Is it possible for them to have a class size Of over 100?

So what would happen if everyone who is offered a seat matriculates? Their class size is always around 80-85. Is it possible for them to have a class size Of over 100?
Technically yes but that rarely happens. Lots of times what ends up happening is the top percentile of candidates hold onto a few acceptances until late and then withdraw from all but their top choice. They have to offer more then their class size or they won’t fill up. You can look at how many they offered last year and the year before as reference

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically yes but that rarely happens. Lots of times what ends up happening is the top percentile of candidates hold onto a few acceptances until late and then withdraw from all but their top choice. They have to offer more then their class size or they won’t fill up. You can look at how many they offered last year and the year before as reference
I had my interview yesterday and asked this question, I was told that they have a cap of 86 students. Perhaps the 125 acceptances includes waitlisted?

I had my interview yesterday and asked this question, I was told that they have a cap of 86 students. Perhaps the 125 acceptances includes waitlisted?
Yup. The 125 Acceptances includes individuals who received an acceptance but did not end up matriculating to that school. So, in theory, every school should have more acceptances than actual spots for students since, inevitably, there will be some students who get accepted but end up going somewhere else. From my understanding, a cap of 86 with 125 acceptances means that 39 students decided to go elsewhere and 39 students were also pulled from the waitlist and offered acceptances.

Please correct me if there is anything wrong there.

Yup. The 125 Acceptances includes individuals who received an acceptance but did not end up matriculating to that school. So, in theory, every school should have more acceptances than actual spots for students since, inevitably, there will be some students who get accepted but end up going somewhere else. From my understanding, a cap of 86 with 125 acceptances means that 39 students decided to go elsewhere and 39 students were also pulled from the waitlist and offered acceptances.

This seems logical. My only other thought is that of the four categories, accepted, highly acceptable, acceptable and denied, about 40 people from highly and acceptable are put on the waitlist for a total of 125. not everyone in that 40 gets pulled up but they are still considered an acceptance.

Your idea seems more logical however.

Have you gotten any feedback since your interview? I had my interview yesterday and I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. Wasn’t sure if anyone else here left the interview not knowing how to feel about how they did. Or if anyone left the interview feeling like they had it in the bag.

This seems logical. My only other thought is that of the four categories, accepted, highly acceptable, acceptable and denied, about 40 people from highly and acceptable are put on the waitlist for a total of 125. not everyone in that 40 gets pulled up but they are still considered an acceptance.

Your idea seems more logical however.
There are likely much more than 40 on the waitlist. They said that the accepted pile is 40% more than the class size every year, meaning about 40% decline and go elsewhere. The waitlist and accepted groups would probably overlap more like a venn diagram would appear.

Interviewed late November and haven’t gotten any updates, seems like the timeframe was anywhere from 3-4 weeks for some notification.

These last couple cycles have been truly crazy with the pandemic, feels like it has become so competitive that an II holds less weight and a waitlist offer means you should probably begin preparing for a reapplication cycle.
Hey I wouldn’t fret. After my interview during Q&A i was told they had taken a break and we’re about to start finishing November and beginning December. This was last week.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I received invitation yesterday and replied to the email. Have not heard anything back yet about confirmed time for interview. Should I wait or call the admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in mid October and still haven’t heard back…anyone know in the same boat or have any insight?

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed in November. Quiet here since the site update in December :confused:

Nvm new update!

As of January 24, 2022 we have:
  • Received 1156 verified AMCAS applications
  • Interviewed 325 candidates.
  • Offered 68 applicants a seat in the Class of 2026.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed early November and never heard back so I'm thinking I may be waitlisted (if not rejected). Do we know how many people are usually on the waitlist and whether there's much movement?

Interviewed last cycle here... this cycle accepted at another IS school but no II from brody. Wonder what changed?

I also interviewed in November (30th) and haven't heard back at all. Do they accept a letter of interest?

Just finished interview! They said they will continue to interview through mid Feb and have all decisions by mid March or so. Said they typically offer around 120 seats per cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Just finished interview! They said they will continue to interview through mid Feb and have all decisions by mid March or so. Said they typically offer around 120 seats per cycle.
Thank you for the update. Good luck!!

Interviewed back in December and got the call earlier this week. Overjoyed at being accepted to Brody. For those accepted, how long after your call did you get your first email?

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know when they usually invite brody scholar nominees/has anyone heard anything?

Does anyone know when they usually invite brody scholar nominees/has anyone heard anything?
I think that happens closer to March if I'm remembering correctly

Accepted at another NC MD school but would really like to go to brody :/

Can any current students following the thread speak to the atmosphere of the school? Do student cohorts become a sort of tight knit family type or is everyone focused on rankings? I would imagine from the vibe I got, everyone is super supportive but just thought I'd ask.

Can any current students following the thread speak to the atmosphere of the school? Do student cohorts become a sort of tight knit family type or is everyone focused on rankings? I would imagine from the vibe I got, everyone is super supportive but just thought I'd ask.
Lowkey heard since they aren't pass fail that a significant number of students are very focused on internal rankings

I can't speak for every class but, from what I've seen in my year (M2), people within our class are generally supportive of each other and not cutthroat. we have a Google drive where we share all kinds of resources including Anki decks, tables, copies of textbooks, etc., and in our GroupMe people are always posting mnemonics they make to help them remember things, or links to helpful YouTube videos, not to mention memes and general messages of support. when something's gone wrong (Mediasite not working, or frustrations with the way certain exams are scheduled - just to name a couple of very recent and real examples) someone in the class inevitably makes a Google form to get input from the rest of the class on the issue, and then passes along the results to someone in admin. when our rotation schedules came out someone made a big spreadsheet that people could fill out if they wanted, so everyone could see who had what schedule and trade with someone else if they were open to it, and almost everyone in the class filled it out. it's not that things are perfect all the time, or that there's never any conflict or tension - and, of course, everyone has people in the class that they get along with better than others, but that's true no matter where you are, work, school, or otherwise - but overall the baseline is that we're comfortable with each other. I suspect we probably would have been even closer if covid hadn't made our first year almost entirely virtual.

also, I know people worry about the letter grading, but I have two comments on that: a) from my experience (having just finished the preclinical curriculum - dedicated starts tomorrow) I truly don't think people use it to compete with others so much as they use it to compete with themselves, or push themselves to be better, but: b) there is a committee currently looking at whether the school should consider moving to a pass/fail curriculum, seeing as over 80 percent of the MD schools in the country have done so. the general consensus seems to be that while the letter grading doesn't necessarily foster competition among classmates, it does foster some additional stress that would probably be alleviated with a move to pass/fail (which has been backed up by studies of med students nationwide). I wouldn't be surprised if Brody moves to pass/fail sometime in the next handful of years, but I have no idea whether that'll come soon enough for the incoming class to benefit from it.

tl;dr (apologies for writing a novel): in my opinion as an M2 the intra-class atmosphere definitely errs on the side of collaborative as opposed to competitive, but I can only speak for my own experience in my own class and other people may disagree with me. my DMs are open if anyone has further questions they want answered privately.

Reactions: 2 users
Guess I'll take my no response since Nov interview and move on. Obviously the whole highly acceptable or acceptable categories don't really mean anything since people who interviewed after me in Dec/Jan got in. Just give me my rejection and let me live at this point.

I can't speak for every class but, from what I've seen in my year (M2), people within our class are generally supportive of each other and not cutthroat. we have a Google drive where we share all kinds of resources including Anki decks, tables, copies of textbooks, etc., and in our GroupMe people are always posting mnemonics they make to help them remember things, or links to helpful YouTube videos, not to mention memes and general messages of support. when something's gone wrong (Mediasite not working, or frustrations with the way certain exams are scheduled - just to name a couple of very recent and real examples) someone in the class inevitably makes a Google form to get input from the rest of the class on the issue, and then passes along the results to someone in admin. when our rotation schedules came out someone made a big spreadsheet that people could fill out if they wanted, so everyone could see who had what schedule and trade with someone else if they were open to it, and almost everyone in the class filled it out. it's not that things are perfect all the time, or that there's never any conflict or tension - and, of course, everyone has people in the class that they get along with better than others, but that's true no matter where you are, work, school, or otherwise - but overall the baseline is that we're comfortable with each other. I suspect we probably would have been even closer if covid hadn't made our first year almost entirely virtual.

also, I know people worry about the letter grading, but I have two comments on that: a) from my experience (having just finished the preclinical curriculum - dedicated starts tomorrow) I truly don't think people use it to compete with others so much as they use it to compete with themselves, or push themselves to be better, but: b) there is a committee currently looking at whether the school should consider moving to a pass/fail curriculum, seeing as over 80 percent of the MD schools in the country have done so. the general consensus seems to be that while the letter grading doesn't necessarily foster competition among classmates, it does foster some additional stress that would probably be alleviated with a move to pass/fail (which has been backed up by studies of med students nationwide). I wouldn't be surprised if Brody moves to pass/fail sometime in the next handful of years, but I have no idea whether that'll come soon enough for the incoming class to benefit from it.

tl;dr (apologies for writing a novel): in my opinion as an M2 the intra-class atmosphere definitely errs on the side of collaborative as opposed to competitive, but I can only speak for my own experience in my own class and other people may disagree with me. my DMs are open if anyone has further questions they want answered privately.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! Very informative

Guess I'll take my no response since Nov interview and move on. Obviously the whole highly acceptable or acceptable categories don't really mean anything since people who interviewed after me in Dec/Jan got in. Just give me my rejection and let me live at this point.
Not necessarily. They probably won’t begin pulling off waitlist until after interviews r complete or people withdraw acceptances. WL movement will peak likely in April

I'm having a hard time understanding why I got interviews at several other places but no love from Brody tbh. Med school admissions really are a crapshoot

Accepted at another NC MD school but would really like to go to brody :/
If I may be intrusive, may I ask what about Brody that you like so much over the other NC MD school? (The one immediate advantage I can see is the cost.)

I'm having a hard time understanding why I got interviews at several other places but no love from Brody tbh. Med school admissions really are a crapshoot
I totally feel this. Got into my top option but no love from some of my backup schools. I think schools care about fit over stats a lot more then pre med culture likes to believe

Reactions: 2 users