2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an II here last night. I could only schedule for Feb 5th which is in a few days. Is that typical? Also, I selected both campuses but have strong preference for KC campus now. How might I navigate that if offered acceptance to Joplin campus? Thanks so much!
The campus they offer you cannot be changed. I would tailor your answers in your interview to suit the Joplin campus, but ultimately you are interviewing for both campuses and they can offer you either one. It’s kind of annoying, and a few people on this thread have been offered acceptances at their second choice campus and cannot get it changed sadly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The campus they offer you cannot be changed. I would tailor your answers in your interview to suit the Joplin campus, but ultimately you are interviewing for both campuses and they can offer you either one. It’s kind of annoying, and a few people on this thread have been offered acceptances at their second choice campus and cannot get it changed sadly.
Thank you so much for this information and prompt reply. This is one of my top schools so I think I’d be happy to be accepted to either campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this has been asked already - as far as apartments go, is Webb City too far from Joplin to consider? I put a search into apartment-finder and it keeps coming up. It looks relatively close on a map, but not sure how traffic and such is in the area... I'm trying to take some time and come look at the area in general but COVID makes that difficult. I contacted one of the apartment complexes and they recommended filling out an application now for the summer because apparently there's a waiting list at a lot of places. So, I'm really just not sure what to do I guess. Many thanks ahead of time :)
Webb City is not too far! But there are also tons of apartments in Joplin and many also are renting houses! With roommates it is just as affordable to rent a house in some cases (or even without)

Members don't see this ad :)
Webb City is not too far! But there are also tons of apartments in Joplin and many also are renting houses! With roommates it is just as affordable to rent a house in some cases (or even without)
Thanks! I'm not really sure how the whole moving cross-country thing works so I wanted to get an early start on things (I'm also up for any advice on the whole process). I feel like a house would be ideal, but maybe it's a little early for that; and I do like the idea of having like a little medical school community in a complex. Also pretty nervous about such a big move, so I'm just trying to get everything sorted out now. On the plus side, I did find a summer/holiday job so that's good. Most of the apartments in Joplin seem to have a dog weight limit, and that's also kind of an issue for me cause I'm not leaving my puppers in NY :-/

Thanks! I'm not really sure how the whole moving cross-country thing works so I wanted to get an early start on things (I'm also up for any advice on the whole process). I feel like a house would be ideal, but maybe it's a little early for that; and I do like the idea of having like a little medical school community in a complex. Also pretty nervous about such a big move, so I'm just trying to get everything sorted out now. On the plus side, I did find a summer/holiday job so that's good. Most of the apartments in Joplin seem to have a dog weight limit, and that's also kind of an issue for me cause I'm not leaving my puppers in NY :-/
I think having a furry study buddy helps with stress. So don't leave them.

I would have rented a house with roommates, or by myself (and some do with their pets or their families). Most of the apartments have some number of medical students so I am sure you will have a neighbor or two who is in some level of their medical education. Big moves are stressful. But they are worth it in the end. I actually signed up for a list in March and ended up getting my apartment in April (and started paying rent then). So if you can afford to start rent early, you might be able to secure a spot more easily. You can also call a local realtor (I saw a recommendation on the KCU matriculation information I was given) and they can give you advice on where to look too. I did that and found a list of apartments to look into from there. One thing to stress is make sure you have go to meals that you can make with minimal brain power, cause you will be tired.

Hi everyone,

I have interviewed last Friday, the 22nd. on the portal it said : applied on: January 22nd. today i checked the portal again and it says applied on: January 28th .

is this like a good sign? or normal process ?

Hey guys, i was offered an entrance scolarships, i am just wonder If there’s any more?

Hi everyone,

I have interviewed last Friday, the 22nd. on the portal it said : applied on: January 22nd. today i checked the portal again and it says applied on: January 28th .

is this like a good sign? or normal process ?
Interviewed Thursday Jan 21st and mine changed today to applied January 29th....also hoping for good news! All I know is that it means your application is under some sort of review.

hi all! posting again-I received a secondary just yesteday...is this just a formality now that they've reviewed my primary...I know they've been conducting interviews since late summer so not sure if its even worth sending the secondary..any advice? thank you!

I think having a furry study buddy helps with stress. So don't leave them.

I would have rented a house with roommates, or by myself (and some do with their pets or their families). Most of the apartments have some number of medical students so I am sure you will have a neighbor or two who is in some level of their medical education. Big moves are stressful. But they are worth it in the end. I actually signed up for a list in March and ended up getting my apartment in April (and started paying rent then). So if you can afford to start rent early, you might be able to secure a spot more easily. You can also call a local realtor (I saw a recommendation on the KCU matriculation information I was given) and they can give you advice on where to look too. I did that and found a list of apartments to look into from there. One thing to stress is make sure you have go to meals that you can make with minimal brain power, cause you will be tired.
Mmm furry study buddies are the best, honestly. Thanks for the help. I haven't received a matriculation packet yet, but I didn't even think about asking a realtor, that's super helpful!

I got an II here last night. I could only schedule for Feb 2nd which is in a few days. Is that typical? Also, I selected both campuses but have strong preference for KC campus now. How might I navigate that if offered acceptance to Joplin campus? Thanks so much!
Hey, is your interview virtual??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey current studenrs, i was just made aware that the campus dosen’t have a gym and we have to go workout at the local ymca. I checked the facility and it seems like there is no weight training. Is that true?

Hey current studenrs, i was just made aware that the campus dosen’t have a gym and we have to go workout at the local ymca. I checked the facility and it seems like there is no weight training. Is that true?
I'm not sure what you need equipment wise but there is a weights area. Free weights and such.

hi all! posting again-I received a secondary just yesteday...is this just a formality now that they've reviewed my primary...I know they've been conducting interviews since late summer so not sure if its even worth sending the secondary..any advice? thank you!

I don’t think so, I have seen others WL for a secondary.

Like free weights? If that’s what you mean, there are def free weights. It’s actually a really nice facility and it’s not far from the school.

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask how the interview was? I know you all signed a NDA but I wanted to ask in general was it conversational/heavy ethics questions? I'm just trying to figure out how to best prepare :) THANK YOU!

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask how the interview was? I know you all signed a NDA but I wanted to ask in general was it conversational/heavy ethics questions? I'm just trying to figure out how to best prepare :) THANK YOU!
Mine was very conversational.

I interviewed 12/4 and was recently accepted to the Joplin campus. I'm extremely excited, but do have some questions for current students about research opportunities, the city, etc.

I interviewed 12/4 and was recently accepted to the Joplin campus. I'm extremely excited, but do have some questions for current students about research opportunities, the city, etc.
I am happy to try to help between rotation duties

Declined my offer of admission to the Joplin Campus. Really liked this school, but found the program closer to home to be a better fit. Good luck all!

Current First year, feel free to PM me any questions or post on here so others can also see!

This may have been asked before but is the Joplin campus as strong as the Kansas City campus? I would take KC in a heartbeat and am still strongly considering Joplin but I am wondering if there could be "new campus hurdles" at Joplin.

Specifically, are Joplin research opps now as strong as KC's w the MSSU collaboration?
Joplin is equally accredited right?
I read that Joplin has "exclusive rotations," what does this mean. Are Joplin's rotations as strong as KC's?
Would one predict more of a primary care emphasis on Joplin's match list than KC's, given that Joplin's mission statement specifically emphasizes primary care while KC's doesn't?

Last edited:
This may have been asked before but is the Joplin campus as strong as the Kansas City campus? I would take KC in a heartbeat and am still strongly considering Joplin but I am wondering if there could be "new campus hurdles" at Joplin.

Specifically, are Joplin research opps now as strong as KC's w the MSSU collaboration?
Joplin is equally accredited right?
I read that Joplin has "exclusive rotations," what does this mean. Are Joplin's rotations as strong as KC's?
Would one predict more of a primary care emphasis on Joplin's match list than KC's, given that Joplin's mission statement specifically emphasizes primary care while KC's doesn't?
I would say to think of Joplin as just a separate location but KCU is still ONE medical school. Half the faculty are on KC campus and the Other half are on Joplin campus so half the lectures pre-covid are live streamed to the other campus depending on what faculty is teaching so regards to first/second year, its the same. In regards to rotations and stuff, people do say Joplin is better because "you get to do more" and thats because the hospitals in KC pretty much all have residents and stuff so you are considered lower than a resident compared to Joplin they treat you more like residents allowing you to learn/do more. In addition, KC campus, you are also competing/sharing with KU medical Students as well as UMKC medical students for rotations. I don't know what you mean by exclusive rotations so you may have to follow up on that and explain what you mean but I would assume you're talking about how the hospitals is exclusively for Joplin students. Research opportunities I would say are available at both campuses, I do think KC has a slight edge because they have a building with laboratories for bench research w/ PhD faculty because of the college of biosciences. We don't have the official match yet for the joplin students but I would assume its about equal to the KC campus in regards to specialties and people going into primary care.

I would say to think of Joplin as just a separate location but KCU is still ONE medical school. Half the faculty are on KC campus and the Other half are on Joplin campus so half the lectures pre-covid are live streamed to the other campus depending on what faculty is teaching so regards to first/second year, its the same. In regards to rotations and stuff, people do say Joplin is better because "you get to do more" and thats because the hospitals in KC pretty much all have residents and stuff so you are considered lower than a resident compared to Joplin they treat you more like residents allowing you to learn/do more. In addition, KC campus, you are also competing/sharing with KU medical Students as well as UMKC medical students for rotations. I don't know what you mean by exclusive rotations so you may have to follow up on that and explain what you mean but I would assume you're talking about how the hospitals is exclusively for Joplin students. Research opportunities I would say are available at both campuses, I do think KC has a slight edge because they have a building with laboratories for bench research w/ PhD faculty because of the college of biosciences. We don't have the official match yet for the joplin students but I would assume its about equal to the KC campus in regards to specialties and people going into primary care.
Thank you. And is the curriculum necessarily harder than other schools/are there a lot of exams or something?

Curriculum is p/f right? I saw people on an old discussion saying it was graded but I could’ve sworn it was p/f.

And lastly how much time do students get for board studying at Joplin?

thanks again!!

Thank you. And is the curriculum necessarily harder than other schools/are there a lot of exams or something?

Curriculum is p/f right? I saw people on an old discussion saying it was graded but I could’ve sworn it was p/f.

thanks again!!
The curriculum from what i've heard is harder than other medical schools but i guess that is a reason why we get high board scores and match into competitive specialities and residency programs. We have an exam about every 2-3 weeks. The curriculum is P/F, it used to be graded last year. In regards to class rank, they rank us by quartiles so they do have internal grades but for transcript purposes, it will just show a pass/fail. People usually start studying for boards 2nd semester of 2nd year and theres a block (Dedicated) + summer to study for boards.

thanks again!!
The curriculum is the same for KC and Joplin. Both campuses sit for exams at the same time, get the same lectures. So you will get the same board studying time as your KC counterparts. I thought the curriculum was hard, but medical school is hard in general, both due to the amount of material you need to learn and the little time. When I was in pre-clinical years, it was graded, but it went to pass/fail when the pandemic started and then they made that change permanent. I am now in clinicals and those are pass/fail (and I believe they always were). I have not felt any concerns about being in Joplin. I am rotating in Joplin and I feel I have been having a good quality of rotations. I have been able to do a lot and get "up to the table" to see things at every rotation so far. You get to work with some residents, which is a good experience, but you also don't have to compete with so many residents or other medical students to see things.

The curriculum is the same for KC and Joplin. Both campuses sit for exams at the same time, get the same lectures. So you will get the same board studying time as your KC counterparts. I thought the curriculum was hard, but medical school is hard in general, both due to the amount of material you need to learn and the little time. When I was in pre-clinical years, it was graded, but it went to pass/fail when the pandemic started and then they made that change permanent. I am now in clinicals and those are pass/fail (and I believe they always were). I have not felt any concerns about being in Joplin. I am rotating in Joplin and I feel I have been having a good quality of rotations. I have been able to do a lot and get "up to the table" to see things at every rotation so far. You get to work with some residents, which is a good experience, but you also don't have to compete with so many residents or other medical students to see things.
thank you :) i know it's hard to predict but I'd imagine Joplin's match list will probably be as competitive as KC's? (by this I mean matching a very good amount of students w competitive specialities)

Do students have access to vaccines yet, or is there a timeline on when KCU plans to distribute them to their student body? Also, people who interviewed last year got free shirts and I definitely want free KCU swag! Will incoming students also get free KCU apparel/masks?

thank you :) i know it's hard to predict but I'd imagine Joplin's match list will probably be as competitive as KC's? (by this I mean matching a very good amount of students w competitive specialities)
I believe so. I know some from Joplin who were in earlier Matches have been very happy with their placements (ie military and urology)

Do students have access to vaccines yet, or is there a timeline on when KCU plans to distribute them to their student body? Also, people who interviewed last year got free shirts and I definitely want free KCU swag! Will incoming students also get free KCU apparel/masks?
So 3rd and 4th years are getting it from their rotation sites at their hospitals. 1st and 2nd, I believe those who are helping with the vaccination efforts in Joplin and KC received their shots from those systems. Students were able to volunteer to help immunize the public and in the process get their own. I have not heard of the role out for the rest of the student body but I know they are actively working on it.

Reactions: 2 users
For current students: how crazy are the winters from a snow standpoint, do we need all wheel drive vehicles or snow tires? On a more important note, does Joplin have fast internet? Need all the bandwidth we can get to stream Net- I mean lectures at 2x

For current students: how crazy are the winters from a snow standpoint, do we need all wheel drive vehicles or snow tires? On a more important note, does Joplin have fast internet? Need all the bandwidth we can get to stream Net- I mean lectures at 2x
I have all weather tires in Joplin and I have no issues. There is more road ice than snow really. I have not had issues with internet speeds, but I pay for it myself so I got to pick the package. 1

Hey y’all, I just got admitted to the Joplin campus and am super excited. My fam even more so. I have a few question I was hoping a student at the campus could answer.
1. What are some good cheap housing options
2. Is the social scene pretty dead or are there things to do in Joplin?
3. I’m from VA so is there anything I should start looking to bring when I move there?
4. This is just a personal question, what is your favorite thing about Joplin? Do you regret not getting into KC?

Hey y’all, I just got admitted to the Joplin campus and am super excited. My fam even more so. I have a few question I was hoping a student at the campus could answer.
3. I’m from VA so is there anything I should start looking to bring when I move there?
4. This is just a personal question, what is your favorite thing about Joplin? Do you regret not getting into KC?
Thats awesome!

There was a good post a little bit back (within 1-3 pages) of recommended places to live!! But also I’ve googled enough that I’ve pretty much found all of them between google maps/apartment websites because the area is so small

1) Refer to earlier post!
2) I would say the Joplin class is more tight knit and everyone knows each other. Things to do in Joplin is nothing compared to KC obviously but theres a couple of bars and there's a brewery in town. Students usually plan get togethers at their houses/apt. Good handful of good coffee shops to hang and study. Springfield is an hour away east and thats where the first bass pro shops is and theres some diverse food out there like KBBQ. Theres also Bentonville in Arkansas which is an hour south and theres a bunch of food places down there (nice city and is where Walmart headquarters is located) and a nice shopping area and theres a bunch of hiking places in Arkansas which is close by. Tusla, OK is like an hour West. 2 hours North is Kansas City. So if you really get bored of Joplin and want to take a trip with some class mates, you have options!
3) Off the top of my head, You will definitely need a car. If you like to golf, theres a couple golf courses here so bring your clubs if you have them. Theres a couple athletic complexes so if you play sports bring your shoes/cleats/balls etc.
4) Favorite thing about Joplin is just how close we are with our class I would say and then also the coffee shops are pretty solid. Theres nothing to regret when you never had a choice in the first place haha Both campuses have their pros and cons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 1/25, when should I expect to hear back? They said it can take up to 6 weeks, but I didn't know if it takes the full 6 weeks. Has anyone heard back yet from that interview date?

I interviewed on 1/25, when should I expect to hear back? They said it can take up to 6 weeks, but I didn't know if it takes the full 6 weeks. Has anyone heard back yet from that interview date?
Took a week for me!

As of Monday 2/8, interviewees from the week 1/14 have heard back and no one later. I interviewed 1/21, and I know myself and others have yet to hear back

Sorry if this has been asked already - as far as apartments go, is Webb City too far from Joplin to consider? I put a search into apartment-finder and it keeps coming up. It looks relatively close on a map, but not sure how traffic and such is in the area... I'm trying to take some time and come look at the area in general but COVID makes that difficult. I contacted one of the apartment complexes and they recommended filling out an application now for the summer because apparently there's a waiting list at a lot of places. So, I'm really just not sure what to do I guess. Many thanks ahead of time :)
Hi! Joplin native and KCU OMS1 here. Tons of my class mates live in Webb city and it’s really not an issue. It’s anywhere from a 10-15 minute drive to campus. A lot of us live over at rustic ridge and many others rent houses. Kinda just do what sounds good to you, you’ll be fine either way.

If anyone on this thread is looking for a roommate for the upcoming year dm me! I'm looking for someone to live and be friends with.

Check your workday portal for date change.

An
You got your decision back in a week? Dangggg
yea was a bit surprised but i did score very well. Its really nice of them to give you the interview report once you’re accepted!

An

yea was a bit surprised but i did score very well. Its really nice of them to give you the interview report once you’re accepted!
Oh, interesting I didn't know they gave you an interview report. I'm in the post-interview waiting game and it's already killing me!! Congrats to you!