2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
7 WL. Can I trade a couple for acceptances?

Got baited by schools saying they take COVID delays into consideration

Reactions: 13 users
Same!! The biggest scam this cycle was thinking schools actually cared about the impact of COVID on application timing. How naive of us :/

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone know the general consensus about the “strategy” for 1 A and 1 WL? Is it better to not PTE in order to get off the WL or is it recommended to show the school that you have an acceptance? Seems most people think it doesn’t change anything regardless but I just wanted to confirm with you all :)

Anyone know the general consensus about the “strategy” for 1 A and 1 WL? Is it better to not PTE in order to get off the WL or is it recommended to show the school that you have an acceptance? Seems most people think it doesn’t change anything regardless but I just wanted to confirm with you all :)
By the time the WL school can see you're PTEd after April 30th, your singular A would likely require you to PTE to not have your A rescinded. There's no strategy here.

Reactions: 1 users
The worst part is knowing that if you get off the waitlist, it would be one of the best and incredible days of your life., but with the knowledge that you very well may not get off any waitlists and will never get that email/call...

Reactions: 14 users
The worst part is knowing that if you get off the waitlist, it would be one of the best and incredible days of your life., but with the knowledge that you very well may not get off any waitlists and will never get that email/call...
Which is why I wish med schools would let us know some sort of probability of getting in to their waitlisted applicants 🥲Although I understand the complex nature of the waitlist pool, having to wait for extra 2-3 months not knowing the odds of getting in is just mind boggling

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I’ve also been wondering whether there’s any advantage to not selecting PTE if one is hoping to get off other WLs.

I’m not sure about other schools, but my one A doesn’t require students to PTE by April 30. The only requirement (besides dropping down to one A on April 30) is to CTE by May 31.
I've given this some thought, and honestly just cannot believe that it would matter this early in the WL cycle. I can see how, a few weeks before classes begin, it might be easier for a school to call someone who has not PTEd anywhere, with the expectation that they will drop everything and come running, as opposed to having to give them time to make a decision, and then possibly wash, rinse and repeat while the clock is ticking.

In May, though, I would think, if anything, being PTE somewhere makes you appear more attractive than holding zero As. That said, it's totally your call and I don't think it would make a difference one way or the other. Believe me, a ton of people, all over the country, are going to be PTE somewhere on 4/30 while waiting for a call from a preferred school. Many of them will receive such calls in the following weeks. They will not be passed over because they are PTE at a school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would join in the misery now that I've heard back from all my II's. 4 MD Interviews --> 4 WLs. One is High Priority List, one school advertises a lot of WL movement...but I'll believe it when I see it. Good luck everyone!

• Care
I thought I would join in the misery now that I've heard back from all my II's. 4 MD Interviews --> 4 WLs. One is High Priority List, one school advertises a lot of WL movement...but I'll believe it when I see it. Good luck everyone!
I am right there with you: 3 total WLs, 1 being HPWL (whatever that entails), no As. Just grateful for the opportunities and living on a prayer.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I’ve also been wondering whether there’s any advantage to not selecting PTE if one is hoping to get off other WLs.

I’m not sure about other schools, but my one A doesn’t require students to PTE by April 30. The only requirement (besides dropping down to one A on April 30) is to CTE by May 31.

Hi, just to clarify, at this school you'd still be required to drop all other As on April 30th, but aren't required to use the PTE tool? So essentially the same action of commitment required but you don't have to broadcast it to other schools by using PTE?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, just to clarify, at this school you'd still be required to drop all other As on April 30th, but aren't required to use the PTE tool? So essentially the same action of commitment required but you don't have to broadcast it to other schools by using PTE?
If so, it would be pretty ironic if they were using the fact that other schools are requiring a broadcast via PTE to enforce their own requirement! :cool:

This is the slippery slope created by the lack of a centralized, centrally enforced, set of rules. To the extent multiple schools do not require PTE be selected by 4/30, enforcement of the requirement to drop to one A by then becomes impossible.

Just PTE man almost all
Schools require if. That’s not going to be the difference

Just to confirm, as there is some ambiguity around this: Can schools you are waitlisted at see if you have selected PTE at another medical school come April 30th?

Just to confirm, as there is some ambiguity around this: Can schools you are waitlisted at see if you have selected PTE at another medical school come April 30th?
Yes, but they can't see which school. They can only see that you have PTEd at a school.

Reactions: 3 users
this wait and the hardship of it is magnified 10x this cycle in my opinion. who agrees? im thinking if it was a non covid year i'd be traveling, staying busy etc. tough to do that this year to make the days go by faster.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
this wait and the hardship of it is magnified 10x this cycle in my opinion. who agrees? im thinking if it was a non covid year i'd be traveling, staying busy etc. tough to do that this year to make the days go by faster.
facts . it's also annoying considering how volunteering can also be hard this year and we can't stay busy that way either. there's only so many Netflix shows that you can watch to kill time

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
facts . it's also annoying considering how volunteering can also be hard this year and we can't stay busy that way either. there's only so many Netflix shows that you can watch to kill time
esp since all the new Netflix shows lately have been garbage lol

• Haha
yup and its tough because even some of the clinical jobs that are available in my area, my family wont let me do while i live under their roof, since they are high risk. I totally get it, but i just feel like schools wont be as understanding next cycle about why I havent been able to do much to improve myself experience wise. i wish i had the money to live alone so I could help out in some capacity, but i do not. :/

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
On 2 WL. Last year I made the mistake of holding out hope too long as I was on 3 WL and never got off and applied very late this cycle as a result. So I’m just gonna take it as 2 R’s and keep it pushing. I want to be early and prepared this cycle. Hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised but not counting on it. Texas apps open in 9 days.... I’m sick hahahahahaha. Round 3 here we come yeehaw

• Care
  • Haha
On 2 WL. Last year I made the mistake of holding out hope too long as I was on 3 WL and never got off and applied very late this cycle as a result. So I’m just gonna take it as 2 R’s and keep it pushing. I want to be early and prepared this cycle. Hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised but not counting on it. Texas apps open in 9 days.... I’m sick hahahahahaha. Round 3 here we come yeehaw
same. also, i have a question about PS and the activities for AMCAS. If we don't have any major "new" events that happened to us, can we reuse our personal statement and activities?

same. also, i have a question about PS and the activities for AMCAS. If we don't have any major "new" events that happened to us, can we reuse our personal statement and activities?
From my understanding each cycle u should update ur PS. Nothing drastic but at least change the intro and a few minor things throughout Bc if they see the exact same PS word for word it’s not a good look. I would put enough to make it evident to the ADCOM that u have evolved and matured since last cycle. I think we r good to reuse activities tho, I re-used a good amount of mine this cycle, I just updated the meaningful activities to spice it up a little

esp since all the new Netflix shows lately have been garbage lol
There is essentially no reason to pay for Netflix these days. I'm just too lazy to tell my mom to cancel it because walking her through the steps that I predict this will take sounds exhausting lol.

• Haha
There is essentially no reason to pay for Netflix these days. I'm just too lazy to tell my mom to cancel it because walking her through the steps that I predict this will take sounds exhausting lol.
Lmao ikr??? Hbomax is so much better

Just here to say how sad I am that I’ve decided to drop $2000+ on an mcat course to reapply even though I’m on 3 waitlists 😭

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 16 users
does anyone anticipate any WL movement this upcoming next week? or should we not expect anything until after April 30th. ?

does anyone anticipate any WL movement this upcoming next week? or should we not expect anything until after April 30th. ?
Despite the fact that my anxiety keeps telling me to ask people the same question, the answer is basically in two parts. (1) There might be some movement in this next week, but don't get your expectations up too high because there is nothing really forcing the movement. (2) The April 30th deadline forces people to narrow down their acceptances to 1, so on/after that point, people will be dropping their additional acceptances and [maybe some] WL spots - this is where we'll see bulk movement.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm waitlisted, which I'm happy for (lower end stats, interviewed 3/5), but this waiting is killing me. Any tips on what all documents to have prepared for an A?

I'm waitlisted, which I'm happy for (lower end stats, interviewed 3/5), but this waiting is killing me. Any tips on what all documents to have prepared for an A?
Immunizations (which hopefully you are currently working on completing, especially the Hep B one) and final transcripts. Not sure of anything else as specific schools may require certain things for their own records

WL at my only II :( i am crushed but also rewritting my PS tomorrow...

feeling hopeless, trying to not lose hope but not be too hopeful.... does that make sense?

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
5 WL, still waiting to hear back from 2 schools. my anxiety is at an all time high. what're you all doing to make it through the next few weeks?

• Care
5 WL, still waiting to hear back from 2 schools. my anxiety is at an all time high. what're you all doing to make it through the next few weeks?
keep ur chin up bro. i'm on 2 WL with 0 A's so far and i just been trying to re-study for the mcat in case i need to re-apply but ngl its hard to focus when all your hopes and prayers are on these WL's. no clue how to make these next 2-3 weeks go by.

keep ur chin up bro. i'm on 2 WL with 0 A's so far and i just been trying to re-study for the mcat in case i need to re-apply but ngl its hard to focus when all your hopes and prayers are on these WL's. no clue how to make these next 2-3 weeks go by.
Do you really attribute your no A’s to your mcat score since after all you got to WLs? Mcat retest is a low reward effort since so many schools will average the scores anyway. This means you really only get 1/2 point credit for each real point you go up.

I would think further investing in ECs and your essays would have higher value to a reapplication.

Do you really attribute your no A’s to your mcat score since after all you got to WLs? Mcat retest is a low reward effort since so many schools will average the scores anyway. This means you really only get 1/2 point credit for each real point you go up.

I would think further investing in ECs and your essays would have higher value to a reapplication.
Just wondering, how do you know if schools average out the MCAT scores? And if that’s the case, do you happen to know which schools openly admitted to averaging?

Just wondering, how do you know if schools average out the MCAT scores? And if that’s the case, do you happen to know which schools openly admitted to averaging?
Schools typically state how they look at multiple scores on their website. Tbh I have never heard of a school averaging scores, but thats just me. It seems to be the case that they usually just consider the latest test, even if its not your best score. They may also look at trajectory of scores. You just have to do research on each school to see how they look at multiple scores

Reactions: 2 users
Schools typically state how they look at multiple scores on their website. Tbh I have never heard of a school averaging scores, but thats just me. It seems to be the case that they usually just consider the latest test, even if its not your best score. They may also look at trajectory of scores. You just have to do research on each school to see how they look at multiple scores
yes, it's usually on their website. most schools that I know of don't average and take the highest but of course, there may be other schools that avg scores

People say this because averaging is what is recommended by AAMC. The truth is that no one knows for sure what will happen, because individual adcom members can also do what they want, no matter what the school's official policy is.

The bottom line is no one can say that a retake is a low yield effort without knowing what the original score was, how many IIs were received, and what the results were. It would be kind of pointless for someone with a 517 gunning for a 520+, who had 6 IIs and no As. It would make a lot of sense for someone with a 508 who thinks they could hit 512+ on a retake, who had 2 IIs and no success. Blanket statements are worthless without details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I feel like poo poo, I just wanna know!!! Like damn even if it’s a no just let me know!!!! Tired of this wait. Who tf designed this app process??? What a ****show

• Care
Reactions: 21 users
I feel like poo poo, I just wanna know!!! Like damn even if it’s a no just let me know!!!! Tired of this wait. Who tf designed this app process??? What a ****show
i, too, feel like poo poo

Reactions: 17 users
Maybe we could form a band called the poopoo band and we could be the next BTS or One direction or something..

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Me whenever I think of the predicament im in with no As —>:barf:

• Haha
Maybe we could form a band called the poopoo band and we could be the next BTS or One direction or something..
Our hit songs could be "Waiting on the List" or "Silent Rejection"

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users