You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Central Florida
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I mean it is no secret that we lost Orlando and Advent Health which are 2 large hospitals out here in Orlando. It definitely shook some things up and we have decided to partner with HCA for our third year rotations. HCA also agreed to build us our new medical center which just opened earlier this year and we are already starting to rotate through there in OBGYN. It is unfortunate that we can no longer rotate at Orlando Health and Advent for 3rd year rotations but I know some 4th year students are doing electives/rotations there now.Thanks for the generous offer! Can you speak to the impact the loss of Advent and Orlando Health are having on rotations? Are you happy with how things are working out for you? Is the new hospital having a big impact?
When Advent and Orlando Health first dropped out, people were reporting that they were being assigned to HCA community hospitals, and that the training leaves something to be desired. Has this been addressed since it first happened, or is it still a thing people are complaining about?
This year, I am rotating at HCA hospitals for Internal Medicine/Family medicine, OBGYN, and Trauma Surgery. I have my anesthesia elective at the VA in Bay pines, as well as Psych at Bay pines. I am on my peds rotation at Nemours and the teaching there is excellent. I can't speak to the other sites as of yet but my peers seem to be enjoying them. Yes it is not ideal that we aren't able to do all of our rotations in Orlando and UCF knows this. I don't know if relationships will be repaired in the future as they haven't been repaired in the 3 years I've been here, UCF still matches well so its all a product of your work ethic. If you want to match at a competitive residency in a competitive field then you have to put in the work!
Thanks for the insight. @REL did mention that they hope (and expect) to reestablish the relationships at some point, and that the pandemic had an impact on timing. I was just hoping to get the first hand scoop from someone like you (or, second hand, from your friends 🙂) as to what the actual HCA experience is, in contrast (hopefully) to the negative reports in the news and on SDN when this first went down a few years ago.I mean it is no secret that we lost Orlando and Advent Health which are 2 large hospitals out here in Orlando. It definitely shook some things up and we have decided to partner with HCA for our third year rotations. HCA also agreed to build us our new medical center which just opened earlier this year and we are already starting to rotate through there in OBGYN. It is unfortunate that we can no longer rotate at Orlando Health and Advent for 3rd year rotations but I know some 4th year students are doing electives/rotations there now.
This year, I am rotating at HCA hospitals for Internal Medicine/Family medicine, OBGYN, and Trauma Surgery. I have my anesthesia elective at the VA in Bay pines, as well as Psych at Bay pines. I am on my peds rotation at Nemours and the teaching there is excellent. I can't speak to the other sites as of yet but my peers seem to be enjoying them. Yes it is not ideal that we aren't able to do all of our rotations in Orlando and UCF knows this. I don't know if relationships will be repaired in the future as they haven't been repaired in the 3 years I've been here, UCF still matches well so its all a product of your work ethic. If you want to match at a competitive residency in a competitive field then you have to put in the work!
Please keep us posted as you progress this year. Thanks again!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medstudent0026
Full Member
Also wondering this!!anyone complete on 7/12 and get AORTA?
So after becoming "AORTA" it says "Next status is either Interview Scheduled (after phone call) or Unable to Offer Interview (after email at end of interview cycle). Final Scheduled interview date is February 28.".
This may be exceedingly neurotic, but will they also send an email if we get an II? I get an insane amount of spam phone calls (>5 a day) from 407 area code numbers and have a spam filter that blocks most of them. Scared a future II may be filtered out as spam
This may be exceedingly neurotic, but will they also send an email if we get an II? I get an insane amount of spam phone calls (>5 a day) from 407 area code numbers and have a spam filter that blocks most of them. Scared a future II may be filtered out as spam
We will always leave a message if we are unable to make contact via phone. Often we will also followup with an email as well if it was important.
Also I believe the email that you receive to tell you that your file is complete indicates that it may take up to 10-15 business days to review files and change a status. That being said it will normally be less than 15 business days.
Also I believe the email that you receive to tell you that your file is complete indicates that it may take up to 10-15 business days to review files and change a status. That being said it will normally be less than 15 business days.
Dreaming_of_dreams
Full Member
It just means that you have all of the stats that will make you eligible for an interview. However, it doesn't mean that you will receive an II.AORTA today, complete 7/12. What does this actually mean?
hello_2311_
Full Member
one of the senior members (I'm not sure if they are considered adcom) mentioned in the previous year's threadAORTA today, complete 7/12. What does this actually mean?
The AORTA review is a much deeper review of all of your activities, background, skills, motivations, "fit" for our program, and much more.
BlueBlueTwo
New Member
@REL : How does the committee see students who completed pre-requisites at a community college (Bio, Ochem) but transferred to a 4-year university and did even better on the higher-level courses?
I've heard it is frowned upon to take the pre-requisites at a CC, in that case, would a strong MCAT help?
I've heard it is frowned upon to take the pre-requisites at a CC, in that case, would a strong MCAT help?
PrestigiousCelery11
Full Member
File complete at around 7/15, yet no AORTA status. Last cycle, I received the AORTA status in 4-5 days 🙁
Does this mean anything?
Does this mean anything?
My file was complete on 7/13 and I don't have a decision either! They said 10-15 days so hopefully we see a decision sometime later this week or early next week 🙂File complete at around 7/15, yet no AORTA status. Last cycle, I received the AORTA status in 4-5 days 🙁
Does this mean anything?
littlebrownpelican
New Member
lol watching the white coat ceremony live stream rn and feeling inspired!!! these ppl really be out here livin my dreams
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same!! complete 7/13AORTA!!!! Complete on 7/14
For the secondary question:
(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.
Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.
(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.
Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.
A full third of the class is OOS, so I am pretty sure the answer is yes. I also think @REL once said that the school has an interest in having its graduates fan out around the country spreading the word about all the awesome things happening at the school, so I don't think there is an expectation that every OOS candidate have a connection and plan to stay in the state post-graduation, like at many other state schools.For the secondary question:
(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.
Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.
Of course, I could be wrong. Hopefully, @REL will weigh in.
If truly interested, apply. You have some places in the 2ndary to indicate your genuine interest in the program.For the secondary question:
(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.
Do we still have a chance of being interviewed/admitted if we have no ties to UCF or the state? I am truly interested in the UCF COM but am OOS.
Hello everyone, I am a MS3 at UCF. If you have any questions about my experiences or would like to know more about the school, feel free to ask.
Best of luck in this application cycle!
Best of luck in this application cycle!
Thanks for the generous offer! Can you speak to the impact the loss of Advent and Orlando Health are having on rotations? Are you happy with how things are working out for you? Is the new hospital having a big impact?Hello everyone, I am a MS3 at UCF. If you have any questions about my experiences or would like to know more about the school, feel free to ask.
Best of luck in this application cycle!
When Advent and Orlando Health first dropped out, people were reporting that they were being assigned to HCA community hospitals, and that the training leaves something to be desired. Has this been addressed since it first happened, or is it still a thing people are complaining about?
The loss of Advent/Orlando definitely had an impact. Both the physicians at those hospitals and the medical students at our school aren't happy with the situation. My understanding is the relationship is being amended as we speak but COVID has slowed these discussions down.Thanks for the generous offer! Can you speak to the impact the loss of Advent and Orlando Health are having on rotations? Are you happy with how things are working out for you? Is the new hospital having a big impact?
When Advent and Orlando Health first dropped out, people were reporting that they were being assigned to HCA community hospitals, and that the training leaves something to be desired. Has this been addressed since it first happened, or is it still a thing people are complaining about?
I am quite happy with my rotation experiences, however. While we lost those hospitals, this is a not a new school with no connections to physicians in this area. Quite the opposite. You would be hard pressed to find an area physician not partnered with UCF in some capacity.
The HCA hospitals in this area have residency programs associated with many of their services (IM, OB, etc.). This means you stil go into an academic environment which is important as a rotating student. To be honest with you, I was concerned on this point initially but as I have gained clinical experience during my prior rotations, I think the training I have received so far has been more than adequate. I wanted to stay within the Orlando metro area and the staff here were able to accommodate me. In fact, I received nearly all of my top choices in terms of my rotations and the locations I wanted to be at. The experiences themselves have been fantastic and are exactly as I had hoped. Keep in mind, we have only completed two rotation blocks up to now and I am only able to speak to my own experiences so this is a limited sample size. With 119 other students, there are bound to be different experiences.
As for the new hospital, my understanding is rotations have not yet begun there but I can't be certain. I do know that rotations in certain services at the hospital will begin in October. I do not know if they have already started or not.
I have a quick question. Does anyone know if the 500 character limit applies to the "if you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program..." and "in this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B"..." questions?
Thanks!
Thanks!
PrestigiousCelery11
Full Member
I assumed it did, and tbh my response sounds really incoherent.I have a quick question. Does anyone know if the 500 character limit applies to the "if you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program..." and "in this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B"..." questions?
Thanks!
Any information on when UCF COM will start sending interview invites to applicants?
Any AORTAs recently?
I would guess in about a week or 10 days interview invites will start.Any information on when UCF COM will start sending interview invites to applicants?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A few II's will be issued today
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
I appreciate the transparency by UCF! Look forward to hearing more about you all. 🙂A few II's will be issued today
@REL Hey, will this admissions page get updated?
med.ucf.edu
M.D. Program Application Process
Applicants to the UCF College of Medicine M.D. program must complete both the online American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and the UCF College of...
PrestigiousCelery11
Full Member
Imma assume they were sent out to non-SDN pupils
Shud have been done already. THanks for pointing this out.@REL Hey, will this admissions page get updated?
M.D. Program Application Process
Applicants to the UCF College of Medicine M.D. program must complete both the online American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and the UCF College of...med.ucf.edu
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
@REL Hello, I just wanted to make sure I understood the schedule for the interview. The interview day itself just consists of 2 interviews themselves, while the tour and information portion is covered at the visits at the end of the month. That means the only people we meet on interview day are the 2 interviewers correct?
Gankpaladin
New Member
Hello,
First-time poster, so not sure if I'm posting in the correct format, location, etc.
I'm about to submit my UCF application, but when I click Preview before I submit, I notice a problem. In my 4000 character "tell us about yourself" essay, the system keeps automatically lumping all my paragraphs together. Anyone else encounter this, and if so, what did you do about it?
Thanks!
First-time poster, so not sure if I'm posting in the correct format, location, etc.
I'm about to submit my UCF application, but when I click Preview before I submit, I notice a problem. In my 4000 character "tell us about yourself" essay, the system keeps automatically lumping all my paragraphs together. Anyone else encounter this, and if so, what did you do about it?
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! As advised when joining SDN, we read the entire, two page thread from the beginning to see if the issue had already been discussed before risking clogging up a thread by asking the same question over and over and over again! Another useful tool is the search function. 🙂Hello,
First-time poster, so not sure if I'm posting in the correct format, location, etc.
I'm about to submit my UCF application, but when I click Preview before I submit, I notice a problem. In my 4000 character "tell us about yourself" essay, the system keeps automatically lumping all my paragraphs together. Anyone else encounter this, and if so, what did you do about it?
Thanks!
Gankpaladin
New Member
Gotcha, didn't know! I'll check to see if my question has been answered already.
Hint: It has been, or I wouldn't have tortured you. 🙂 I was just trying to help you learn how to how yourself since you're a self-identified newbie.Gotcha, didn't know! I'll check to see if my question has been answered already.
Again, welcome to the forum! You're going to find UCF is probably the most transparent of all the schools, and their admissions administration goes out of their way to be helpful to us.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dreaming_of_dreams
Full Member
Just got the call for the II!
congrats! stats and complete date if u dont mind?Just got the call for the II!
Dreaming_of_dreams
Full Member
Complete 7/2, IS, URM, LM 72congrats! stats and complete date if u dont mind?
Hey, congrats! Did you receive a confirmation email after selecting your interview date?Just got the call for the II!
Dreaming_of_dreams
Full Member
After the call, I received an email with the necessary information to schedule my interview date. After I chose that, I did not receive a confirmation email, but the portal updated to show I successfully scheduled my interview.Hey, congrats! Did you receive a confirmation email after selecting your interview date?