2021-2022 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
even tho I withdrew I looked at the FB page number because I'm nosey but it went down to 111 then went back up to 121ish since yesterday
Just nervous about how quiet it is on here. But I know that everyone does not use these forums. I'm on the lower half of the upper third. Hoping we make it there eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

Just nervous about how quiet it is on here. But I know that everyone does not use these forums. I'm on the lower half of the upper third. Hoping we make it there eventually.
Got accepted today from the lower half of the upper third! Hoping you get an offer soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Got accepted today from the lower half of the upper third! Hoping you get an offer soon!
Wow...that was fast. Gonna try to do something besides go on SDN or check my email and fail now

Members don't see this ad :)
@REL Hello Rel, as the waitlist movement has started, do you have any picture of what the movement is like this year and if you anticipate reaching the middle third of the waitlist. Also thank you, I appreciate everything that you do for this forum and helping alleviate stress for applicants!

@REL Hello Rel, as the waitlist movement has started, do you have any picture of what the movement is like this year and if you anticipate reaching the middle third of the waitlist. Also thank you, I appreciate everything that you do for this forum and helping alleviate stress for applicants!
Yes, it is normal to get into the middle 1/3. We will generally hit the upper-half of middle 1/3very hard....both FL and non-resident. It just takes time as applicants and med programs await the decisions of others. That's why it is important for accepted applicants to make their decisions as soon as possible. Patience if truly a virtue while on the waitlist.

Programs should not force accepted applicants to CTE more than 3-4 wks prior to their orientation/matriculation date. Also no need to PTE unless you are required by a program to do so. I know that programs would welcome you selecting these selections as early as possible, but dont be forced early to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted yesterday! IS, lower half of the upper third. :) this was my first MD acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Yes, it is normal to get into the middle 1/3. We will generally hit the upper-half of middle 1/3very hard....both FL and non-resident. It just takes time as applicants and med programs await the decisions of others. That's why it is important for accepted applicants to make their decisions as soon as possible. Patience if truly a virtue while on the waitlist.

Programs should not force accepted applicants to CTE more than 3-4 wks prior to their orientation/matriculation date. Also no need to PTE unless you are required by a program to do so. I know that programs would welcome you selecting these selections as early as possible, but dont be forced early to do so.
Is there any likelihood of reaching the lower-half of the middle 1/3rd for FL residents?

Is there any likelihood of reaching the lower-half of the middle 1/3rd for FL residents?
This is more difficult to answer right now as we just began movement earlier this week. It is always a questionable area and some years we do, some we dont --- too early to tell right now.

Last year we matriculated 4 from the FL ranks of the lower-middle 1/3, none from the non-FL list. We did not admit any from this area two years ago from either the FL or non-FL areas of the WL. Each year we ended really, really close to the lower middle group in both categories. This is always a difficult area to predict because so many applicants have to make so many decisions. Another large factor is how many choose to withdraw from the WL along the way.

Hello @REL thank you for all your help on this thread. I read in your previous post from Monday that "...there were 18 in the upper one-half of the upper 1/3 that did not gain an acceptance that year" in reference to the applicant post from 2017. Was there a reason for this (was that year an anomaly)? I was thinking that typically the upper 1/3 does get offers off the waitlist. Thank you!

Hello @REL thank you for all your help on this thread. I read in your previous post from Monday that "...there were 18 in the upper one-half of the upper 1/3 that did not gain an acceptance that year" in reference to the applicant post from 2017. Was there a reason for this (was that year an anomaly)? I was thinking that typically the upper 1/3 does get offers off the waitlist. Thank you!
Thank you for providing this.....that is an error on my part.....that should read "....there were 18 in the upper one-half of the MIDDLE 1/3 that did not....."

I have made the correction on the original post --- thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted on Wednesday from the lower half of upper 1/3, so happy that I got my first A from my top choice! Best of luck to everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Which clinical training sites require the covid vaccine and do they require a booster? Is it all of them or just specific locations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @REL, do you mind disclosing how far down the bottom 1/2 of the top third of the waitlist you're at during this point?

Hi @REL, do you mind disclosing how far down the bottom 1/2 of the top third of the waitlist you're at during this point?
We have moved into the upper portion of the middle 1/3 in the Florida applicant area, and we are in the lower portion of the upper 1/3 for non-Florida residents as of this morning.

Which clinical training sites require the covid vaccine and do they require a booster? Is it all of them or just specific locations?
This is a bit beyond the admissions sphere of knowledge but I will see what I can find out.

I will offer that as a military retiree that we were required to have the needed immunizations to enter into different areas of the world to remain healthy and effect the mission of our country. I dont see too much of a difference between the mission of those in HC who have constant patient contact. IMHO both populations have volunteered for the mission of protecting others and should be as protected as possible to remain "in the game" unless there are some well founded reasons (religious, health, etc.) otherwise.

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but more or less when will the academic calendar for the incoming M1s come out?

This is a bit beyond the admissions sphere of knowledge but I will see what I can find out.

I will offer that as a military retiree that we were required to have the needed immunizations to enter into different areas of the world to remain healthy and effect the mission of our country. I dont see too much of a difference between the mission of those in HC who have constant patient contact. IMHO both populations have volunteered for the mission of protecting others and should be as protected as possible to remain "in the game" unless there are some well founded reasons (religious, health, etc.) otherwise.

Based on that I am told all major clinical facilities that we work with require vax. Currently this would be true for all M3/M4 rotations as well as M1/M2 clinical experiences unless they working with a private practice that may have different requirements. This would include Orlando VA, Nemours, UCF/Lake Nona, OH, AH, HCA, and others. I would be interested to know of any major clinical teaching facilities that are verified to not require vax.

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but more or less when will the academic calendar for the incoming M1s come out?
You can go to see the curricular sequence at Integrated Curriculum - College of Medicine then select curricular schematic. This will provide you with the order of academics, but that does not have the dates that I believe you are seeking. I know that White Coat is Monday, July 25, and the remainder of that week is Orientation. First day of M1 curriculum is Monday, Aug 1. I will check to see if there is a final date calendar available.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on that I am told all major clinical facilities that we work with require vax. Currently this would be true for all M3/M4 rotations as well as M1/M2 clinical experiences unless they working with a private practice that may have different requirements. This would include Orlando VA, Nemours, UCF/Lake Nona, OH, AH, HCA, and others. I would be interested to know of any major clinical teaching facilities that are verified to not require vax.
Thanks for finding out REL. Do you know if they require the booster? I want to know if I need to get it. Already have the first 2 shots

You can go to see the curricular sequence at Integrated Curriculum - College of Medicine then select curricular schematic. This will provide you with the order of academics, but that does not have the dates that I believe you are seeking. I know that White Coat is Monday, July 25, and the remainder of that week is Orientation. First day of M1 curriculum is Monday, Aug 1. I will check to see if there is a final date calendar available.
The COM Registrar just received the date information for the M1 curricular year this morning and will post it to the Registrar site today or tomorrow. Registrar - College of Medicine

The COM Registrar just received the date information for the M1 curricular year this morning and will post it to the Registrar site today or tomorrow. Registrar - College of Medicine
All med schools are at the mercy of the decisions of their clinical partners and the rules for last year were just the two shots. We anticipate that at least some clinical sites will now ask for the two shots and booster for the next group of M3's heading to their clinical clerkship rotations. That is as much as I have available to me to answer your question.

The full schedule has also been uploaded to the class FB page this morning.

Just a quick update on WL movement. We are in the upper-middle for FL residents and are very close to entering the upper-middle in the Non-FL groups as well.

Remember that you should not be compelled to select PTE unless that accepted program requires it at this point. During PTE you CAN received other offers and consider them for at least 5 days, longer if you dont have financial info from the program that accepted you - in this case you must contact the school that previously accepted you to negotiate extra time to receive the financials from the new program. ALSO if you are currently accepted to a program that does not yet require PTE and receive a second acceptance that does not require PTE you do have 7 days to make a decision and drop one of the programs.

As for CTE the general rule is that you should not be required to CTE to a program unless you are within a 3-4 week window prior to the start of orientation/matriculation.

Finally consider you options well and understand that school graduation/MATCH outcomes trump any cost difference that is less than about $20k per year.

Movement was fairly constant, but has slowed markedly this week so far. Like always the FL resident list has moved more quickly. We are working in the lower half of the middle one-third and could skim the top of the upper half of the lower 1/3 this year. The Non-FL list has slowed to a similar pace, but we still have a small number of upper-middle 1/3 still on that list. It is possible that we soon get into the lower portion of the middle 1/3.

I would recommend that if you are still interested in matriculating here that you ensure that we are aware of that so that; it may help the committee when we get into your area. If you have PTE to another program and have made a decision to select that program over an offer that we may make, please WD to help others on the list. If you have PTE to another and would be interested in an offer from us anyway, that too would be helpful for us to know.

The UCF PTE deadline for UCF is June 1, next week. Any who have been admitted and have not PTE to our program by the morning of June 2 will likely be replaced by other applicants. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding your circumstances or about our PTE process.

We also require CTE as of close of business on June 24. Again, please contact us if you have any questions.

Movement was fairly constant, but has slowed markedly this week so far. Like always the FL resident list has moved more quickly. We are working in the lower half of the middle one-third and could skim the top of the upper half of the lower 1/3 this year. The Non-FL list has slowed to a similar pace, but we still have a small number of upper-middle 1/3 still on that list. It is possible that we soon get into the lower portion of the middle 1/3.

I would recommend that if you are still interested in matriculating here that you ensure that we are aware of that so that; it may help the committee when we get into your area. If you have PTE to another program and have made a decision to select that program over an offer that we may make, please WD to help others on the list. If you have PTE to another and would be interested in an offer from us anyway, that too would be helpful for us to know.

The UCF PTE deadline for UCF is June 1, next week. Any who have been admitted and have not PTE to our program by the morning of June 2 will likely be replaced by other applicants. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding your circumstances or about our PTE process.

We also require CTE as of close of business on June 24. Again, please contact us if you have any questions.
Thanks for sharing this REL! Should we expect to see movement in the lower half of the middle 1/3 pick up again next week after the PTE deadline?

Thanks for sharing this REL! Should we expect to see movement in the lower half of the middle 1/3 pick up again next week after the PTE deadline?
I would imagine there will still be some movement next week as applicants continue to make decisions. I suspect there will be fewer and fewer decisions to make in the next couple of weeks and likely working toward a gradual halt toward the end of June......based on the past.

I would imagine there will still be some movement next week as applicants continue to make decisions. I suspect there will be fewer and fewer decisions to make in the next couple of weeks and likely working toward a gradual halt toward the end of June......based on the past.
Just curious if you anticipate any more movement in the lower half of the middle third? Or if the waitlist movement has ended?

Just curious if you anticipate any more movement in the lower half of the middle third? Or if the waitlist movement has ended?
It is possible, but I will say that movement as we get into June is limited over our history. As for June this year we have had three changes and the last was on the 6th. Our PTE deadline was June 1 and CTE is June 24, 3pm. To date all 120 have had made a choice, 75 CTE, 45 PTE. The PTE's are nearly a 50/50 mix of FL and Non-FL residents. I hope that this provides some clarity.

I just read earlier in the thread about how the clinical rotations stopped at OH and AH hospitals.

So does this mean we might have to move out of Orlando for clinical rotations at other hospitals because of this? Or do most students just stay in Lake Nona/Orlando and commute far?

Also are all your rotations done at one hospital or do you do different specialties at different hospitals (one might be far away and the other closer to home)?

The M3 rotations at OH and AH stopped 4-5 years ago, still available M4. Most M3 rotations will be a mix of the Orlando/Lake Nona (VA, Nemours, UCF Hosp) area as well as Ocala, Gainesville, and at the VA in St Pete. If you are at the M3 away rotations UCF provides living accommodations and travel pay; as all are over 50 miles away and it would be a difficult daily commute. Just prior to COVID both AH and OH wanted to begin talking about resuming but then postponed due to their own patient care responsibilities. I know that they agreed to restart talks after Covid. If they are true to their word that ?may be soon?. If so it would not take much time at all to resume the M3 rotations well before your class reaches those times. In truth the evals of the M3 are better at the newer locations than they ever were at the others so it maybe be that the "intervention" was an improvement? I know that those who apply for the Match at OH do not seem to have any difficulty.

I'm pretty sure this conversation has been had already in this thread. I know it has been in prior years as well.

Thanks for the detailed answer REL.

So I read up on the OH and AH drama and it seems like they did UCF dirty, in my humble opinion. Also seems like they’re hurting themselves since the UCF med students they would have trained might work for them in the future, and you would want to make sure they have good training.

Props to UCF for accommodating the students though.

Hey REL do you think we’ll be able to do all our rotations at the UCF teaching hospital and medical city by the time we’re M3s, or is that something that’s many more years away from happening?

Thanks for the detailed answer REL.

So I read up on the OH and AH drama and it seems like they did UCF dirty, in my humble opinion. Also seems like they’re hurting themselves since the UCF med students they would have trained might work for them in the future, and you would want to make sure they have good training.

Props to UCF for accommodating the students though.

This was a good article outlining the rift.

Particularly noteworthy,

“Support from AdventHealth, then known as Florida Hospital, and Orlando Health helped UCF win state approval to start a medical school in 2006. But after UCF aligned itself with their rival, leaders for the health-care systems said they weren’t sure the university needed them anymore.”

Last edited:
Sounds like they were just a tad bit salty 🐸☕️. Business is business after all. Can’t let emotions cloud your judgement on the best moves going forward.

Sounds like they were just a tad bit salty 🐸☕️. Business is business after all. Can’t let emotions cloud your judgement on the best moves going forward.
I can’t comment on whether it was warranted it or not but plenty of people on here were on AH’s/OH’s side.

I can’t comment on whether it was warranted it or not but plenty of people on here were on AH’s/OH’s side.

Thank you for sharing this. I will provide brief comments on the topics. There absolutely IS a physician shortage in the U.S. I am not involved in residency selections. I can say that starting with the addition of four new MD programs in 2007 (UCF,FIU, Cmnwlth, UTX-?El Paso?) there have been many new MD/DO medical schools born as well as many existing programs increased their class size. The U.S government has not increased residency positions for training. As such the U.S. government is responsible for impeding the increase in physicians in our country.

I will address the UCF situation with OH and AH since I have been here from the beginning, but I will do so at a later time. I lived in Orlando in the mid-60's for several years and can say that I saw "sleepy hollow" change when some guy named Walt had a vision about a theme park. Most of Orlando was against the radical idea of changing swamp land into a new theme park. The Orlando Sentinel was a low level news organization that, like the people, generally questioned the idea. The Orlando Sentinel has not changed, but will dance to the "story" to enhance the sensationalism of the press to enhance their bottom line or their political agenda. When UCF arrived there were great kumbaya speeches with OH, AH, and UCF all promising to work together for the people of central Florida. As you have probably experienced not all that you read in the media is an honest portrayal and I would portray at least one of the primary players as a "deceitful wolf" that is perceived as a "sheep." I initially believed that the "sheep" was good, but time and watchfulness has revealed otherwise by their actions in every realm.

Thank you for sharing this. I will provide brief comments on the topics. There absolutely IS a physician shortage in the U.S. I am not involved in residency selections. I can say that starting with the addition of four new MD programs in 2007 (UCF,FIU, Cmnwlth, UTX-?El Paso?) there have been many new MD/DO medical schools born as well as many existing programs increased their class size. The U.S government has not increased residency positions for training. As such the U.S. government is responsible for impeding the increase in physicians in our country.

I will address the UCF situation with OH and AH since I have been here from the beginning, but I will do so at a later time. I lived in Orlando in the mid-60's for several years and can say that I saw "sleepy hollow" change when some guy named Walt had a vision about a theme park. Most of Orlando was against the radical idea of changing swamp land into a new theme park. The Orlando Sentinel was a low level news organization that, like the people, generally questioned the idea. The Orlando Sentinel has not changed, but will dance to the "story" to enhance the sensationalism of the press to enhance their bottom line or their political agenda. When UCF arrived there were great kumbaya speeches with OH, AH, and UCF all promising to work together for the people of central Florida. As you have probably experienced not all that you read in the media is an honest portrayal and I would portray at least one of the primary players as a "deceitful wolf" that is perceived as a "sheep." I initially believed that the "sheep" was good, but time and watchfulness has revealed otherwise by their actions in every realm.
Thank you for your reply. I also appreciate that there was a great deal of transparency from UCF about the rotations during the interview day. It’s not like some other schools, who may have just neglected to mention the situation.

It doesn’t seem to have hurt the match list at all so it’s probably not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I also appreciate that there was a great deal of transparency from UCF about the rotations during the interview day. It’s not like some other schools, who may have just neglected to mention the situation.

It doesn’t seem to have hurt the match list at all so it’s probably not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things
In the end that is the point. UCF, UM, and UF have dominated the Match results in the 7-8 specialties that are deemed most competitive for entry.

We successfully matriculated our class of 120 yesterday. I thank each of you for your contributions to this thread and I wish you all well.
That is what I have read and what I ended up submitting for my size. If someone knows better, please correct me though.
My only answer here is to contact UCF Student Services who sent you the information for additional guidance.

Reactions: 3 users
We successfully matriculated our class of 120 yesterday. I thank each of you for your contributions to this thread and I wish you all well.

My only answer here is to contact UCF Student Services who sent you the information for additional guidance.
Thank you Rel and UCF for your transparency and support throughout the cycle.