2021-2022 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the email that I’m on hold
It’s all good don’t stress, me and many others are with you. As you can see people do get off of the hold during the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Any other news? This thread is insanely dead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright see you guys next month 😂

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone hear anything on the MD/PhD side? They said they’d get back to us sometime this week.

Have any admitted students heard anything about the scholarship application or financial aid yet?

Have any admitted students heard anything about the scholarship application or financial aid yet?
Did they email you your acceptance packet yet? I received an email some time within the next day or so from the Financial Aid office containing a spreadsheet of the expected expenses/budget. Nothing on any scholarship info so far though.

Did they email you your acceptance packet yet? I received an email some time within the next day or so from the Financial Aid office containing a spreadsheet of the expected expenses/budget. Nothing on any scholarship info so far though.
I got an email with that spreadsheet over a month ago but haven't heard anything about financial aid since. Is that email what you mean by acceptance packet? I changed my mailing address since applying and have had trouble making sure that's updated, so I hope I didn't miss anything by mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email with that spreadsheet over a month ago but haven't heard anything about financial aid since. Is that email what you mean by acceptance packet? I changed my mailing address since applying and have had trouble making sure that's updated, so I hope I didn't miss anything by mail.
Yeah I was referring to that spreadsheet email. I haven't received anything beyond that.

Reactions: 1 user
Almost that time of the month folks 😎

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck tomorrow everyone o7

Just got the call! Interviewed 1/28. I'm early in the alphabet if that helps anyone haha

Holy cow, just recieved an ii. OOS, LM ~69, ties to Charleston/MUSC. Thought I had 0 chance here.

Got an II yesterday that was scheduled for 3/25, OOS but with strong ties to the state

This may be a silly question lol but does anyone know what the typical attire is for a second look weekend at MUSC? I don't think it's suit and tie formal but is casual ok like jeans?

This may be a silly question lol but does anyone know what the typical attire is for a second look weekend at MUSC? I don't think it's suit and tie formal but is casual ok like jeans?
I'm going to another second look, not this one.. but I was planning on wearing business casual like a nice button down dress pants and loafers

To any current students, what are popular areas for students to live in (outside of downtown charleston)? I'm keeping the option to buy open, so living downtown may not be a feasible option for me. Would you consider Summerville to be too far from campus? Ideally, I would like medical students as roommates, so that is something I'm taking into consideration as well. Thanks!

To any current students, what are popular areas for students to live in (outside of downtown charleston)? I'm keeping the option to buy open, so living downtown may not be a feasible option for me. Would you consider Summerville to be too far from campus? Ideally, I would like medical students as roommates, so that is something I'm taking into consideration as well. Thanks!
Not a current student (yet) but am from the area. West Ashley, James Island, and Mount Pleasant are all areas SUPER close to downtown. Park Circle in North Charleston or maybe even Johns Island as well--they're a little farther out but still close. On a good day, Summerville is 40 mins but could easily approach an hr depending on traffic.

Not a current student (yet) but am from the area. West Ashley, James Island, and Mount Pleasant are all areas SUPER close to downtown. Park Circle in North Charleston or maybe even Johns Island as well--they're a little farther out but still close. On a good day, Summerville is 40 mins but could easily approach an hr depending on traffic.
Thanks! This was super helpful. :)

I was considering it because it seemed a lot more affordable than anything closer to Charleston. Everything is so expensive now :/
Yeah I feel that. Ultimately you just have to decide if the 1.5-2 hour round trip drive fighting traffic every day is worth it when you will already be crunched for time. Dont forget to factor in the fact you will have to park in the parking lot by the River Dogs stadium, wait for a shuttle, and then shuttle to campus. It would be so much time. Im biased cause I was born/raised in charleston but your life will be 100X better if you choose an option like james island. summerville is just so yuck and depressing

Like others have said, Summerville is pretty far. If you're looking to buy, Johns Island is probably a decent bet if you want an actual house. West Ashley and James Island have some condos that are pretty popular with medical students/residents. It's historically a tough real estate market, but totally possible. Good luck and congrats! - Current student and homeowner :)

Like others have said, Summerville is pretty far. If you're looking to buy, Johns Island is probably a decent bet if you want an actual house. West Ashley and James Island have some condos that are pretty popular with medical students/residents. It's historically a tough real estate market, but totally possible. Good luck and congrats! - Current student and homeowner :)
Thanks!

Yeah I feel that. Ultimately you just have to decide if the 1.5-2 hour round trip drive fighting traffic every day is worth it when you will already be crunched for time. Dont forget to factor in the fact you will have to park in the parking lot by the River Dogs stadium, wait for a shuttle, and then shuttle to campus. It would be so much time. Im biased cause I was born/raised in charleston but your life will be 100X better if you choose an option like james island. summerville is just so yuck and depressing
How long do you think the commute from James Island would be in the nastiest Charleston traffic?

How long do you think the commute from James Island would be in the nastiest Charleston traffic?
That’s really dependent on where in James island you are but I wouldn’t think more than 20 minutes in bad traffic for most places

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid/scholarships from MUSC yet? (such as how/where to apply)? I know they sent out the estimated budget for costs, but I don’t recall seeing anything about scholarship apps yet.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid/scholarships from MUSC yet? (such as how/where to apply)? I know they sent out the estimated budget for costs, but I don’t recall seeing anything about scholarship apps yet.
I sent an email asking and was told we'd be getting an email soon about it and to not fill anything out yet. But I also know a couple people who have been called about scholarships without filling out the app at all.

Does anyone know if Fridays match results for musc were considered good/normal for them? I was a bit confused on the math. Musc accepts 180 students (6 of them being MD/PhD) so you theoretically would have expected 174 to match if 100% of their class matched. MUSC reports a 98% match rate so you’d expect 170.5 students to match. Only 151 of their class matched which puts the match rate at 86.7% (151/174). Maybe the match rate is just calculated by #of people who matched/#of people who made it through their four year and applied to match (rather than the number of first years that started at the school). Regardless, with those numbers, 13.2% of their class didn’t make it through medical school in 4 years. That seems incredibly high for a US MD program. Anyone have any thoughts or insights to this?

Does anyone know if Fridays match results for musc were considered good/normal for them? I was a bit confused on the math. Musc accepts 180 students (6 of them being MD/PhD) so you theoretically would have expected 174 to match if 100% of their class matched. MUSC reports a 98% match rate so you’d expect 170.5 students to match. Only 151 of their class matched which puts the match rate at 86.7% (151/174). Maybe the match rate is just calculated by #of people who matched/#of people who made it through their four year and applied to match (rather than the number of first years that started at the school). Regardless, with those numbers, 13.2% of their class didn’t make it through medical school in 4 years. That seems incredibly high for a US MD program. Anyone have any thoughts or insights to this?
+1

Has anyone else had trouble getting in touch with the outside interviewer? I haven’t heard anything and I’m worried because I only have until Friday

Has anyone else had trouble getting in touch with the outside interviewer? I haven’t heard anything and I’m worried because I only have until Friday
How long has it been? I'd reach out a second time. I emailed my interviewer and didn't hear back for a couple days

How long has it been? I'd reach out a second time. I emailed my interviewer and didn't hear back for a couple days
It's been two days but I only have until Friday. I forgot to email until Sunday.

MUSC reported a 100% match rate. So every student who applied for the match either was matched or went through SOAP successfully. The class of 2022 most likely had fewer students than get accepted now. Plus with the class of 2022 going into clinicals right when COVID hit it wouldn't be surprising if issues with some clinical sites caused some students to have to delay graduation but that is just speculation.

Last edited:
It's been two days but I only have until Friday. I forgot to email until Sunday.
I'd email your interviewer again but also email admissions (I think Mrs. Howard??) to let them know.

Does anyone know if MUSC is still extending interviews? Where do people check their application status? (I saw some people were notified that they were "on hold") ... waiting for a pre-ii R