You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I’m waiting for that too. Supposedly they will get back to you the end of February or beginning of April.Anyone hear back from USC yet? 🙁
I mean beginning of march**I’m waiting for that too. Supposedly they will get back to you the end of February or beginning of April.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No problem! I was very selective when it came to the location of the school, so I get that! Cincinnati is a great city though, and I'm not sure you'll get quite the same vibes of LA anywhere else unfortunately! Definitely do your research on the locations too 👍Thank you for this information. I've learned a lot reading these threads. I'm conducting some research on schools and this process as I'll be applying to MHA programs in the fall. Xavier will definitely be on my list. Although, I'm not too excited about the thought of living in Ohio (currently in Los Angeles).
LondonisRed
New Member
Xavier, VCU, Johns Hopkins, UAB, Tulane, and Army-Baylor are the programs I know that offer the administrative residency. There might be another one, but not sure. Good luck when the time comes for you to apply!Thank you for this information. I've learned a lot reading these threads. I'm conducting some research on schools and this process as I'll be applying to MHA programs in the fall. Xavier will definitely be on my list. Although, I'm not too excited about the thought of living in Ohio (currently in Los Angeles).
I think Trinity is the last one!Xavier, VCU, Johns Hopkins, UAB, Tulane, and Army-Baylor are the programs I know that offer the administrative residency. There might be another one, but not sure. Good luck when the time comes for you to apply!
Rush also places you in a part-time internship at their medical center right away and you have multiple opportunities to intern in the summer and in your second year as well!Xavier, VCU, Johns Hopkins, UAB, Tulane, and Army-Baylor are the programs I know that offer the administrative residency. There might be another one, but not sure. Good luck when the time comes for you to apply!
mha2021inquiries
Full Member
I interviewed end of December and was told I would hear back at the end of January. I heard back like the second to last week of January. So I waited about a month. I think they send out their acceptances in groups every few weeks. I haven't heard of any rejections yet!Thanks a lot! Curious about Columbia's statistics.
happystudent12
Full Member
Hi, does anyone know anything about GWU's need-based aid? I wasn't offered any merit-based scholarships, so they told me to submit my CSS profile to be considered for need-based aid, but I was wondering if I should expect any financial assistance through this.
I interviewed on a Friday and I heard the following Friday that I was being recommended to the school. They told me 72 hours originally but I was just happy to hear back lol. Then I think the next Tuesday was when I officially got accepted!Anybody who interviewed with UNC heard anything back yet? I am refreshing my email every five minutes haha
andrew96
Full Member
Just was told that I was being recommended to the school! So excited!I interviewed on a Friday and I heard the following Friday that I was being recommended to the school. They told me 72 hours originally but I was just happy to hear back lol. Then I think the next Tuesday was when I officially got accepted!
FutureMHAstudent
New Member
My understanding that the deadline for the need based scholarship on CSS was on the 15th of January. If they told you to apply I definitely would! I'm not sure what my scholarships are for but I applied for both need based and merit. I review total of about 30% of tuition. I'm going to ask if they are need based or merit based tomorrow.Hi, does anyone know anything about GWU's need-based aid? I wasn't offered any merit-based scholarships, so they told me to submit my CSS profile to be considered for need-based aid, but I was wondering if I should expect any financial assistance through this.
happystudent12
Full Member
Thank you! Please let me know what they say. Thankfully, they said they will still consider me for need-based aid. Hopefully, they offer some FA.My understanding that the deadline for the need based scholarship on CSS was on the 15th of January. If they told you to apply I definitely would! I'm not sure what my scholarships are for but I applied for both need based and merit. I review total of about 30% of tuition. I'm going to ask if they are need based or merit based tomorrow.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mha2021inquiries
Full Member
Has anyone gotten scholarship info from columbia?
prospectiveph
New Member
Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Hopkins? The website says applicants should hear back within 4 weeks of the application deadline which would’ve been the past Friday but I still haven’t received any updates through email or the portal.
I'm still waiting too! My application was marked complete/sent in for review on Jan 11th and I haven't heard anything yetIs anyone still waiting to hear back from Hopkins? The website says applicants should hear back within 4 weeks of the application deadline which would’ve been the past Friday but I still haven’t received any updates through email or the portal.
mhascaries
Full Member
Got into Columbia! Applied 12/30, interviewed 1/26!
MHAprospectus
New Member
I interviewed 1/28 so hopefully I hear back soon too!!Got into Columbia! Applied 12/30, interviewed 1/26!
Trying to decide between JHU MHA, Yale MPH in HCM, and Columbia MHA. I'm grateful to have the decision between these fantastic programs, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight?
Congrats! When was your interview?I got accepted into Columbia today!
MHA1999
New Member
1/07/21!Congrats! When was your interview?
School: Florida State University
Major: Political Science
Minors: business and psychology
GPA: 3.85
GRE: waived due to covid
Experience: 6 months as a medically related law firm paralegal, and 6 months as an administrative assistant for a surgical clinic.
Accepted and attending at University of Florida (luckily, since it was the only school I applied to)
Major: Political Science
Minors: business and psychology
GPA: 3.85
GRE: waived due to covid
Experience: 6 months as a medically related law firm paralegal, and 6 months as an administrative assistant for a surgical clinic.
Accepted and attending at University of Florida (luckily, since it was the only school I applied to)
Last edited:
mha_prospectus
Full Member
Could anyone familiar with Icahn's MHA program PM me? I am confused about the program layout. Thanks! Also has anyone received any updates on USC (Southern Cal)?
You can message meTrying to decide between JHU MHA, Yale MPH in HCM, and Columbia MHA. I'm grateful to have the decision between these fantastic programs, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight?
mootix
Full Member
Their website says the decisions are made by mid-March 💀Could anyone familiar with Icahn's MHA program PM me? I am confused about the program layout. Thanks! Also has anyone received any updates on USC (Southern Cal)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wexner2021
Full Member
Could anyone who applied to/is/will be attending Ohio State's MHA tell me more about your letters of rec? On SOPHAS I noticed that one of the letters "must" be from an academic source, but this is not found anywhere on OSU's websites and making connections with professors/advisors in programs has naturally been made much more difficult by COVID. Just curious to see what others have done before I apply here in the fall! Thanks!
I've applied a few years ago but in general most programs want you to have at least one academic source. A majority of people applying for MHA programs are coming directly from undergrad or are only a few years removed from undergrad where arguably they should have some sort of professional relationship with a professor that can speak to their academic skills.Could anyone who applied to/is/will be attending Ohio State's MHA tell me more about your letters of rec? On SOPHAS I noticed that one of the letters "must" be from an academic source, but this is not found anywhere on OSU's websites and making connections with professors/advisors in programs has naturally been made much more difficult by COVID. Just curious to see what others have done before I apply here in the fall! Thanks!
Programs request professional letters of rec because they want to see what type of invidiual you are in a "real life setting" and they request academic because, well, an MHA program is a grad program and requires the student to be also successful in a classroom setting.
My advice is if you find connecting with a professor is difficult due to the pandemic then try to find a professor you had a class with prior to the pandemic. If that isn't possible, then you can always do what I did (I was three years removed from undergrad when I applied) and find a professor you had multiple classes with (and did well in those classes) and send them an email reminding them who you were, the class you had with them, why you are pursuing an MHA degree and if they would be willing to write you a rec letter. Often times, even if the professor doesn't 'recall' you personally, you can create for them a small portfolio of your accomplishments during the time you took their class, the class you had with them, and your grade. Most professors have been approached for rec letters and have a standard template.
The downside to this is that it won't be as personal as it would have been had you asked a professor that you knew well, but you just have to make the best with what you have. I know for certain my rec letter from my academic source was standard and offered nothing amazing yet I was accepted into some of the top mha programs. The application committees for the schools will look at your entire application so I wouldn't spend much time worrying about the substance of one rec letter as long as it is presentable. You obviously want the other two rec letters to be well written and speaking to your strengths.
Sorry about the long post. Feel free to ask any followup questions here or in PM.
I hope I was able to provide some context and answer your question.
EDIT: Side note, if you really feel an academic source isn't possible, I'd encourage you to reach out to the program office and present your case and ask for their feedback/advice. You can't go wrong doing that.
LondonisRed
New Member
Could anyone who applied to/is/will be attending Ohio State's MHA tell me more about your letters of rec? On SOPHAS I noticed that one of the letters "must" be from an academic source, but this is not found anywhere on OSU's websites and making connections with professors/advisors in programs has naturally been made much more difficult by COVID. Just curious to see what others have done before I apply here in the fall! Thanks!
When I applied to Ohio State, I did not have any academic LORs. I have been out of undergrad for a while, and only provided employer LORs. I was granted an interview and accepted into the program so I'd imagine this would suffice for you if you are in the same situation as me. Either way, good luck!
LondonisRed
New Member
Figured I'd do this since I recently decided on where to attend. This board has been an immensely valuable resource for me, and I am grateful for everyone's participation and willingness to share their experiences!
School: State School
Major: B.S International Business
Minor: Economics
GPA: 3.65
GRE: N/A due to COVID-19
Experience: 1 year internship in undergrad, 6 years US Air Force post graduation
Special Factors: First generation (Ethiopian & Eritrean American)
Applied: Xavier MHSA, Ohio State MHA, VCU MHA, UNC MHA, University of Florida MHA
Interview: Xavier, Ohio State, VCU, UNC, UF offered, but declined
Waitlist: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Accepted: Xavier, Ohio State, VCU, UNC
Attending: Xavier University
School: State School
Major: B.S International Business
Minor: Economics
GPA: 3.65
GRE: N/A due to COVID-19
Experience: 1 year internship in undergrad, 6 years US Air Force post graduation
Special Factors: First generation (Ethiopian & Eritrean American)
Applied: Xavier MHSA, Ohio State MHA, VCU MHA, UNC MHA, University of Florida MHA
Interview: Xavier, Ohio State, VCU, UNC, UF offered, but declined
Waitlist: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Accepted: Xavier, Ohio State, VCU, UNC
Attending: Xavier University
OoklahSeaman
New Member
Anyone do their University of Washington interview and can give any tips? Mines on Tuesday!
mhascaries
Full Member
Admitted to USC with 25% scholarship
Congrats! Did they let you know via email or did you just check your portal?In at USC plus half-tuition scholarship!!
I got an email! They said my admissions portal would be updated within 48 hoursCongrats! Did they let you know via email or did you just check your portal?
happystudent12
Full Member
Also got into USC with 50%
mha_prospectus
Full Member
When did you apply?Also got into USC with 50%
happystudent12
Full Member
I applied in mid-November!When did you apply?
MHA2021woo
New Member
Just got into GWU!! Does anyone know if there is a group me or some group chat?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me! I hope we hear back soon 🙁Anyone still waiting on USC? Im anxious!
mha2021inquiries
Full Member
Just got into GWU!! Does anyone know if there is a group me or some group chat?
When did you apply? I applied December 12.Me! I hope we hear back soon 🙁
mha_prospectus
Full Member
I applied 1/13. gonna have to wait a whileMe! I hope we hear back soon 🙁
Similar threads
- Replies
- 388
- Views
- 83K