You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I believe Columbia offers both an MPH (HPM) degree as well as an MHA degree. They are different degrees but fall under the same department.I have a question: is an MPH in Health Policy and Management (HPM) at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, the same same as an MHA? like does Columbia have this version of healthcare management? or is it a different degree?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I applied on 1/15 but I unfortunately did not receive an interview. They just emailed me on Friday, so I hope you hear back soon! Good luck!Has anyone recently applied to Hopkins and received an interview? I applied on 1/12 and have not heard back yet!
Hi! Yes, I applied on 1/15 and received an interview invitation on 1/24, with my interview being scheduled for tomorrow. Hope you hear back soon, and let me know if you have any other questions!Has anyone recently applied to Hopkins and received an interview? I applied on 1/12 and have not heard back yet!
andrew96
Full Member
How did the interview at UNC go? I have mine friday!School: Foreign school
Major: Dentistry
Minor: -
GPA: Cumulative 3.89 (SOPHAS)
GRE: N/A
Experience: Dental Intern - 1 year, Process analyst - 1 year, student body representative - 4 years, volunteer experience with rural populations - 1 year, tobacco counselling, emergency medicine intern - 1 month
Special Factors: International student, did basic microeconomics and statistic courses (prerequisites)
Applied: UNC, Columbia, Cornell, Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, PennState, University of Washington
Interview: Cornell (11/17), Minnesota (11/20), PennState (12/7), UNC (12/11), Columbia (1/6)
Waitlist:
Rejected: OSU (12/7), Michigan (1/20)
Accepted: PennState(12/8)- declined, Minnesota (12/8), UNC (12/21), Cornell (1/7)
Attending:
andrew96
Full Member
Hey everyone! I have my interview with UNC for the MHA program on Friday, its the only school I applied to and this is my first interview so I am super nervous but also really hopeful! For all the people who have already had the interview how did it go? Thanks so much in advice
Congrats on the interview invitation!! Did you apply for their MHA program?Hi! Yes, I applied on 1/15 and received an interview invitation on 1/24, with my interview being scheduled for tomorrow. Hope you hear back soon, and let me know if you have any other questions!
andrew96
Full Member
Hi everyone!
Has anyone interviewed with UNC Chapel Hill and have any tips?
Thanks!
Any information about interview questions or advice would be very much appreciated! I have mine for UNC on Friday! Only school that I applied to so I need to make this happen!Hello everyone,
This may not be useful to a good chunk of individuals in this thread as it seems most of you have received acceptances or know where you are going to be attending. However, if you are still applying and would like someone to take a look at your statement, application, etc please feel free to reach out to me. I've already done that for a few people here and am more than happy to help in any way I can. I graduated Hopkins this past May and applied to many of the top 20 schools during my application cycle a few years ago.
In addition, if you have any questions about the application cycle, programs, or are still deciding between schools and want to ask someone who has graduated, my inbox is always open (or you can ask here).
Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those that have already received acceptances!
wexner2021
Full Member
Hello everyone! I'm going to be applying in the next cycle but I'm really curious to learn more about OSU's MHA program. If anyone has experience with the application process/requirements here, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
mhascaries
Full Member
Has anyone heard anything from USC (University of Southern California), I heard last year that they sent out emails telling students that their application was complete/under review.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2021MHA_Prospect
New Member
Congrats! Go X!Just got accepted to Xavier's MHSA program with a 30% scholarship!! Go X!! I'm almost positive I'll be attending 😀
andrew96
Full Member
How was your interview with UNC?I am applying to relatively similar schools. . . can you please share how the interviews were for UMN and UMich? Any advice?
Hi! I had my interview 1/22 so I can't remember all they asked but just be prepared to answer questions like- tell us about yourself, why mha, why unc and what your goals are after the program. It was pretty relaxed and I didn't feel any of the questions really caught me off guard. I was worried because I answered most questions with in 20 minutes and spent the rest of the time asking questions about unc and the program but it worked out! Just take advantage of the "tell us about yourself" part to highlight strengths that would be useful in the program/field.Hey everyone! I have my interview with UNC for the MHA program on Friday, its the only school I applied to and this is my first interview so I am super nervous but also really hopeful! For all the people who have already had the interview how did it go? Thanks so much in advice
I have not heard anything back from them yet either but on their website it says if you applied before 12/15 then you should hear back mid-March!Has anyone heard anything from USC (University of Southern California), I heard last year that they sent out emails telling students that their application was complete/under review.
MHAprospectus
New Member
School: University of Florida
Major: B.S Health Science
Minor: French and francophone studies
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.54 / 3.95
GRE: 157 V/ 155 Q/ 4.5 W
Experience: Shadowed Ob/Gyn 2wks+, Shadowed an ophthalmologist, RMH volunteer, Core lab volunteer, NICU volunteer, worked at a restaurant for 3+yrs (not relevant but still experience)
Special Factors: First generation/ low income/ hispanic/ female
Applied: Columbia MHA, Emory MPH, University of Miami MPH, NYU MPH, UPenn MPH, John Hopkins MHA
Interview: Columbia
Waitlist:
Rejected: UPenn, JHU
Accepted: Emory, University of Miami, NYU w/scholarship
Attending:
As far as the interview process for Columbia goes it was very informal and typical. I was interviewed by a second year MHA candidate and we mainly talked about my interests in pursuing an MHA and why Columbia. The last 15 mins were me asking him questions. He gave great insight!
Major: B.S Health Science
Minor: French and francophone studies
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.54 / 3.95
GRE: 157 V/ 155 Q/ 4.5 W
Experience: Shadowed Ob/Gyn 2wks+, Shadowed an ophthalmologist, RMH volunteer, Core lab volunteer, NICU volunteer, worked at a restaurant for 3+yrs (not relevant but still experience)
Special Factors: First generation/ low income/ hispanic/ female
Applied: Columbia MHA, Emory MPH, University of Miami MPH, NYU MPH, UPenn MPH, John Hopkins MHA
Interview: Columbia
Waitlist:
Rejected: UPenn, JHU
Accepted: Emory, University of Miami, NYU w/scholarship
Attending:
As far as the interview process for Columbia goes it was very informal and typical. I was interviewed by a second year MHA candidate and we mainly talked about my interests in pursuing an MHA and why Columbia. The last 15 mins were me asking him questions. He gave great insight!
Last edited:
healthcaremha2021
New Member
I interview for Pitt's (University of Pittsburgh) MHA tomorrow, does anyone have any tips?
Sorry for the delay in response. UNC was one of the few I had not applied to but honestly most programs basically follow a similar format where they ask you why them, why healthcare, and why MHA. Overall, they're looking to see if you are compatible with them and their program. Mostly, it's about fit and there really is no trickery. Just be articulate and candid while maintaing professionalism and you should be fine.Just reaching out again to ask y’all about your UNC MHA interview experience! Thanks again!
ap123456789
New Member
did columbia do informal interviews for everyone? or just for some people?
mha_prospectus
Full Member
Do you guys know when USC (Southern Cal) gives out admission decisions if you applied after 12/15?
OoklahSeaman
New Member
Anyone hear anything back from University of Washington about interviews?
LondonisRed
New Member
Any Inputs on the UNC interview? Any help appreciated.
I interviewed last week. It was the usual. Why MHA and why UNC.
There were some behavioral style questions asked by both the faculty member and current student so make sure you can provide answers to different scenarios. Best of luck!
LondonisRed
New Member
Congrats!! I was admitted to Xavier as well. I am seriously considering them. I love that they have an extensive administrative residency. Very few programs offer that.Just got accepted to Xavier's MHSA program with a 30% scholarship!! Go X!! I'm almost positive I'll be attending 😀
andrew96
Full Member
I interviewed last week as well! Can’t wait to hear back!I interviewed last week. It was the usual. Why MHA and why UNC.
There were some behavioral style questions asked by both the faculty member and current student so make sure you can provide answers to different scenarios. Best of luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks 🙂I interviewed last week. It was the usual. Why MHA and why UNC.
There were some behavioral style questions asked by both the faculty member and current student so make sure you can provide answers to different scenarios. Best of luck!
What makes Xavier's administrative residency extensive?Congrats!! I was admitted to Xavier as well. I am seriously considering them. I love that they have an extensive administrative residency. Very few programs offer that.
I got an email today about a scholarship!Has anyone heard back about funding/scholarship money from George Washington? I received acceptance about three weeks ago and was told they would follow up.
LondonisRed
New Member
Nice! Good luck bud!I interviewed last week as well! Can’t wait to hear back!
LondonisRed
New Member
Unlike most programs where you have a summer internship between your first and second years, Xavier has a mandatory eight-12 month paid administrative residency after you finish your two-year coursework. You get to work alongside C-Suite level leadership and do not have to worry about competing for fellowships so that appealed to me.What makes Xavier's administrative residency extensive?
mha2021inquiries
Full Member
did you get one?I got an email today about a scholarship!
If Columbia decided to offer you an interview, the interview was an "informal" one with a 2nd-year student in the program.did columbia do informal interviews for everyone? or just for some people?
Yes I did, I got one called the Leader's Scholarship. Did you?did you get one?
mha2021inquiries
Full Member
unfortunately no 🙁 congrats!!Yes I did, I got one called the Leader's Scholarship. Did you?
MHAprospectus
New Member
Wondering about how long after Columbia's interview did those who got accepted wait to hear back?
Still haven't heard anything back from them, its been roughly a week and a half.
Still haven't heard anything back from them, its been roughly a week and a half.
Hey, congrats! I have officially decided to attend, so feel free to message me if you want to talk more about the program, if you plan to attend, etc.Congrats!! I was admitted to Xavier as well. I am seriously considering them. I love that they have an extensive administrative residency. Very few programs offer that.
It is 8-12 months long. Only 6 other programs require a residency of that length, most programs only have a summer internship/residency that is 3 months long (which Xavier also has).What makes Xavier's administrative residency extensive?
FutureMHAstudent
New Member
Hey I just heard back today also and got two scholarships. Total is about 30% of tuition . Do you find sharing what they gave you?Yes I did, I got one called the Leader's Scholarship. Did you?
Mhaquestions
New Member
Hi! For those who have already been accepted in programs (congrats!) what would you say is the probability of getting accepted once you are invited to interview?
I think that it is really hard to say, because I'm sure some programs are much more selective with their interview invitations. As a specific example, I know Minnesota interviews around 100 and accepts about 55. I haven't seen specific statistics for other programs, but I know there are some where you have a very high chance of being accepted if you have a good interview! It really just depends on the program and their admissions process.Hi! For those who have already been accepted in programs (congrats!) what would you say is the probability of getting accepted once you are invited to interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mhaquestions
New Member
Thanks a lot! Curious about Columbia's statistics.I think that it is really hard to say, because I'm sure some programs are much more selective with their interview invitations. As a specific example, I know Minnesota interviews around 100 and accepts about 55. I haven't seen specific statistics for other programs, but I know there are some where you have a very high chance of being accepted if you have a good interview! It really just depends on the program and their admissions process.
Thank you for this information. I've learned a lot reading these threads. I'm conducting some research on schools and this process as I'll be applying to MHA programs in the fall. Xavier will definitely be on my list. Although, I'm not too excited about the thought of living in Ohio (currently in Los Angeles).It is 8-12 months long. Only 6 other programs require a residency of that length, most programs only have a summer internship/residency that is 3 months long (which Xavier also has).
mha_prospectus
Full Member
Does anyone have information on Icahn's MHA program? The online blend is confusing me so I don't know whether to apply or not
oo congrats! the Leader's Scholarship that I got is $8,000 overall.Hey I just heard back today also and got two scholarships. Total is about 30% of tuition . Do you find sharing what they gave you?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 388
- Views
- 83K