2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have decided that I am going to receive an acceptance call/email from my waitlist schools today.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thoughts on sending another LOR from a physician at this point to help get off WL?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotta get this off my chest - I feel so conflicted about whether it is even worth going through the hassle of re-applying this cycle. I really don't have anything major to add to my application if I were to re-apply. I also need to re-write my MCAT in order to re-apply this cycle because my score is expired now. This means that my app won't be considered until September (at least I think that's how it works). But September is still earlier than when I had my secondaries complete this year. I'm just having a hard time stomaching the reality of another two full gap years by not re-applying this next cycle.

At the same time, I want to put my best foot forward if I have to re-apply. To make things more ambiguous, I was also told by admissions for the school I'm WL at that they got to my spot on the alternate list in previous years, including last year, and that I'm in a relatively good spot...so there's reason to be optimistic. But I really don't want to place all my bets on this one waitlist cuz nothing is guaranteed.

What would you guys do? Do you think I should just start my re-app tomorrow? Would this give me time to still get my primary into the verification queue on time?
In a similar boat! I’m not going to reapply this cycle. I don’t want to reapply unless I’m 100% ready to rock n roll. At this point in time my app would be late bc I’d have to write the MCAT again and get new LORs. doesn’t really make sense to me to rush reapp that I don’t feel 100% about just to potentially be in the same boat this time year. Sure I hypothetically could have started preparing early, but I graduated from my masters May 2022 and took 13 post-bacc science credits in Fall 2022. This past spring was the first time in my life since the fetus days that I haven’t been in school it’s been so nice only having to worry about my big girl adult job. Not to mention a few months ago I moved to a new city with my 2 best friends. I plan on enjoying my first summer here and I’ll start MCAT studying in the fall. If the time comes and I decide I don’t want to do medicine anymore so be it, if I don’t get in this cycle (please let me get in this cycle) I’m at peace with the idea of having the hottest sexiest application the AAMC has ever seen in May 2024

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Thoughts on sending another LOR from a physician at this point to help get off WL?
I feel that at this point the only thing that can really improve WL chances (if at all) is a substantial update like a publication or new grades if you’re still in school. I think the fact that they didn’t outright reject us suggests our letters/interview already said enough about our character and another LoR may just be redundant.

Reactions: 3 users
hopping on the manifestation train!

i have decided that i will receive an acceptance from my top choice this week! thank you 🤗

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I’m frustrated bc I think sometimes it’s not necessarily that your application needs to be stronger, but that they’re many talented applicants and it’s the luck of the draw. It’s literally a game, and even if you play it right, it doesn’t mean that you will win. I’m not the best applicant in the world, but I have good stats for the schools I applied to. I was very strategic with it too (like I know Yale would Lebron James my application into the trash so applying there didn’t go through my mind lol). I even had two different med school adcoms review my app for deficiencies. So for me to get interviews for US MD schools something was right about my app. I did a DIY postbacc and a brand name SMP so I’m sitting back looking at my application like uhhh 1 or 2 more activities over the next year is unlikely to move the needle. Just venting my frustrations.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Would it be a bad idea to add a recent LOR to the portal of the school I’m waitlisted at?

I’m frustrated bc I think sometimes it’s not necessarily that your application needs to be stronger, but that they’re many talented applicants and it’s the luck of the draw. It’s literally a game, and even if you play it right, it doesn’t mean that you will win. I’m not the best applicant in the world, but I have good stats for the schools I applied to. I was very strategic with it too (like I know Yale would Lebron James my application into the trash so applying there didn’t go through my mind lol). I even had two different med school adcoms review my app for deficiencies. So for me to get interviews for US MD schools something was right about my app. I did a DIY postbacc and a brand name SMP so I’m sitting back looking at my application like uhhh 1 or 2 more activities over the next year is unlikely to move the needle. Just venting my frustrations.
There is absolutely a luck factor. There is no way in my mind that any given school can treat ~10k applications all with equal attention and consideration. There are definitely terminator T-1000 pre-meds out there that can stand out in any crowd at any school, but for the average candidate I think luck can be a big factor. But pretty much everything in life is like that :(

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Would it be a bad idea to add a recent LOR to the portal of the school I’m waitlisted at?
Many schools do not consider LoE's outside of the AMCAS letter service. Adding a letter is unlikely to hurt, though.

Reactions: 1 users
I am absolutely devastated. This process has taken every ounce of self-confidence, trust, and work ethic out of me. My MCAT score is also expiring this year and I am miserable thinking about retaking it. On top of that, this process has drained so much energy, money and happiness from me, that I feel like I am being a terrible fiancé. He is trying to be as supportive as possible but he is also at a loss. It physically hurts to talk about being on a waitlist again to family and friends that I’ve only ever thought that I would be such a great physician. Many physicians, that I have shadowed and worked with have also said the same thing that they don’t understand this process.
I believe that many would be devastated with your path. I also believe you'd be a great doc.

But I also believe that you've been given bum advice, not just once, but several times. And unfortunately, it's on you that you accepted that advice. It sounds like you've not applied broadly, and those who've advised you have been trying to be nice to you without being honest. I'm sure that others will chime in with more specifics.

I hope you successfully get off one of those WL's. But if you don't, and you decide to pursue this again, get some real advice from objective sources.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long post ahead

Hey guys. I’m posting in here because I could really use some support. This is my first post on any Internet forum of any kind, lol. I’ve been a lurker here for a while and it’s been nice to see some of the support that others have gotten and to see the celebrations of others that have persisted and finally gotten accepted. I’ll try to summarize as best as possible.

I’m a reapplicant who is nearing the end of the 3rd application cycle. The first year I applied, I (miraculously) was waitlisted at one of my top choices, choice X. My grades from a very competitive undergrad school were a 3.2x and my MCAT was a high 50x. I KNOW those aren’t stellar stats. I went through a lot in undergrad, and that definitely reflected academically. I tried to apply to specific schools that fit my wants/interests which is what I think contributed to my waitlist in the first place. The main feedback I got from my first cycle was to take more science classes and raise my GPA. Fair criticism. I contacted my undergrad and asked about SMPs vs post bacc, and I ultimately decided on an SMP because I already had significant shadow, volunteer, research and extracurricular experience since I went into undergrad wanting to go to med school. I applied to two programs, one of them being choice Y and another (unimportant) school. I picked choice Y because of a lot of personal factors, better fit for me, and it was one of the schools I was initially very interested in.

When I was talking to my undergraduate school about 1 year SMP versus post bacc, they were very straightforward in saying that I had to be very real with myself in knowing that I could get a good GPA (3.5-6+) in the SMP program to stand a chance at getting into medical school. I was told that SMP‘s do have a high success rate in acceptance to medical school, but only if you do well. I knew I could do it, so I decided on school Y. I took it as a chance to hone my study skills, and really invest myself in learning.

I reapplied during the year of my SMP at the advice of the advisors in the SMP. I applied very broadly like many applicants do, but I had my eye on the two original schools, school X and school Y where I was currently a student. That school traditionally had a strong linkage. I was devastated when the day after submitting my secondary application to school X, I was immediately rejected. I must have just been filtered out unfortunately. Given that I was previously waitlisted, I was completely blindsided, but I decided to focus on school Y because I was adjusting and really getting to know the school. I was doing very well grade wise, and I thought I would be able to see myself at school Y as a medical student. To top it all off, I met my current fiancé, who is a physician at school Y.

Throughout the year, all of us students had meetings with various advisors, talking about our progress and expectations. I never once received an ounce of bad feedback. I was even asked to teacher assistant for some classes after I did exceptionally well in a few of them. I was told that I had a fantastic interview and would be a fantastic medical student.

Near the end of last year, I was told by the program advisor who sits on the medical school admissions committee that I would either be accepted this year (now last year) or definitely next year (now this year). I was very stressed to hear that I might have to apply again. I was told to be patient and wait on their waitlist because I had a strong application for their school.

I asked the program director if I absolutely had to apply again, if I had any areas to improve, and I was told no. I also said that I only wanted to apply to school X from my original application year and this school (school Y) because applications were expensive, and these were the only two schools that I had a real passion about and would really go to. I was told that that was appropriate and that my statistics for those two schools were on target. I ended the program with an on target GPA (3.6+) and I fully expected to be admitted. I waited the entire summer with the expectation of being admitted, but I was ultimately rejected and I was devastated. I had to scramble to find a job last minute and sign a lease for a year without a job. I ended up finding a great job for me, and reapplied after having school Y review my application one more time. School Y, while one of my in-state schools, is an area that I have no family and no friends in, but I decided to stay in the area because I fully expected to be admitted and I wanted to stay with my fiancé.

In September, I received interview invites for school X from my original year and school Y, as expected. I was very excited and looking forward to being finally admitted after doing everything possible for myself. I stayed in touch with admissions committee, and my current job wrote a fantastic letter of recommendation for me. My interviews at both schools I felt went very well and I was complemented during them for my persistence and the quality of my application.

Fast forward to now and I am currently waitlisted at both schools AGAIN. I have sent many update letters, many new letters of recommendation, met with many people at both schools, including the dean of both schools and told that I am a fantastic student, and would be an asset to any class, but I have yet to be accepted.

I am absolutely devastated. This process has taken every ounce of self-confidence, trust, and work ethic out of me. My MCAT score is also expiring this year and I am miserable thinking about retaking it. On top of that, this process has drained so much energy, money and happiness from me, that I feel like I am being a terrible fiancé. He is trying to be as supportive as possible but he is also at a loss. It physically hurts to talk about being on a waitlist again to family and friends that I’ve only ever thought that I would be such a great physician. Many physicians, that I have shadowed and worked with have also said the same thing that they don’t understand this process.

I understand that this process is tough on everyone. I also enjoy seeing people finally get accepted after years of hard work, but I wonder why it hasn’t been me. I feel lied to and duped by this whole process. I feel like I was promised something by a lot of people, and then let down. There have been so many supportive people that have helped me along the way, and I feel like I have just let every single one of them down. I know this is nobody’s fault, but I’m just so upset.

I also feel like I was receptive to feedback at various points during this process and the only feedback I ever received was to take more science classes and improve my GPA, which I did. I genuinely don’t know what to do and I’m starting to just crumble.
To anyone who made it all the way to the end. Thanks for listening. I hope you all get accepted to your schools and I would appreciate any words of encouragement.
It sounds as if you only applied to 2 MD schools. Is this right?
This is folly.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that was something that I was asked by admissions as well. I did not because my family is not supportive of DOs. They don’t think it’s a real physician (fair or not).
If you would rather not be a doctor than be a DO, we can only hope that your family is supportive of that choice and that you are content with it.

Historically, there is drastic WL movement at my top choice school this Friday/Saturday. I sent in my 2nd LOI/update letter and am buckled up. I shall manifest an A.

countdown GIF

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
This is probably partially because my parents are from another country, and they don’t have DO’s there. Probably a familiarity thing.
Help them understand it. ...or not.

Last edited:
  • Love
Sorry, this app cycle I only applied to two schools since those were the ones I previously received interviews/waitlists from
This is not a strategy consistent with success. We can hope that (against all odds) this somehow results in a favorable outcome for you, but it is not logical or recommended.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
To top it all off, I met my current fiancé, who is a physician at school Y.
Did your fiancé give you any advice at all during this process?

Sorry, this app cycle I only applied to two schools since those were the ones I previously received interviews/waitlists from
Those two schools ultimately did not offer you admission, after interview/WL. There were other applicants more desirable than you. So, that could easily happen again. That's why it would be important to apply broadly to many more schools, who might find you to be desirable.

Long post ahead

Hey guys. I’m posting in here because I could really use some support. This is my first post on any Internet forum of any kind, lol. I’ve been a lurker here for a while and it’s been nice to see some of the support that others have gotten and to see the celebrations of others that have persisted and finally gotten accepted. I’ll try to summarize as best as possible.

I’m a reapplicant who is nearing the end of the 3rd application cycle. The first year I applied, I (miraculously) was waitlisted at one of my top choices, choice X. My grades from a very competitive undergrad school were a 3.2x and my MCAT was a high 50x. I KNOW those aren’t stellar stats. I went through a lot in undergrad, and that definitely reflected academically. I tried to apply to specific schools that fit my wants/interests which is what I think contributed to my waitlist in the first place. The main feedback I got from my first cycle was to take more science classes and raise my GPA. Fair criticism. I contacted my undergrad and asked about SMPs vs post bacc, and I ultimately decided on an SMP because I already had significant shadow, volunteer, research and extracurricular experience since I went into undergrad wanting to go to med school. I applied to two programs, one of them being choice Y and another (unimportant) school. I picked choice Y because of a lot of personal factors, better fit for me, and it was one of the schools I was initially very interested in.

When I was talking to my undergraduate school about 1 year SMP versus post bacc, they were very straightforward in saying that I had to be very real with myself in knowing that I could get a good GPA (3.5-6+) in the SMP program to stand a chance at getting into medical school. I was told that SMP‘s do have a high success rate in acceptance to medical school, but only if you do well. I knew I could do it, so I decided on school Y. I took it as a chance to hone my study skills, and really invest myself in learning.

I reapplied during the year of my SMP at the advice of the advisors in the SMP. I applied very broadly like many applicants do, but I had my eye on the two original schools, school X and school Y where I was currently a student. That school traditionally had a strong linkage. I was devastated when the day after submitting my secondary application to school X, I was immediately rejected. I must have just been filtered out unfortunately. Given that I was previously waitlisted, I was completely blindsided, but I decided to focus on school Y because I was adjusting and really getting to know the school. I was doing very well grade wise, and I thought I would be able to see myself at school Y as a medical student. To top it all off, I met my current fiancé, who is a physician at school Y.

Throughout the year, all of us students had meetings with various advisors, talking about our progress and expectations. I never once received an ounce of bad feedback. I was even asked to teacher assistant for some classes after I did exceptionally well in a few of them. I was told that I had a fantastic interview and would be a fantastic medical student.

Near the end of last year, I was told by the program advisor who sits on the medical school admissions committee that I would either be accepted this year (now last year) or definitely next year (now this year). I was very stressed to hear that I might have to apply again. I was told to be patient and wait on their waitlist because I had a strong application for their school.

I asked the program director if I absolutely had to apply again, if I had any areas to improve, and I was told no. I also said that I only wanted to apply to school X from my original application year and this school (school Y) because applications were expensive, and these were the only two schools that I had a real passion about and would really go to. I was told that that was appropriate and that my statistics for those two schools were on target. I ended the program with an on target GPA (3.6+) and I fully expected to be admitted. I waited the entire summer with the expectation of being admitted, but I was ultimately rejected and I was devastated. I had to scramble to find a job last minute and sign a lease for a year without a job. I ended up finding a great job for me, and reapplied after having school Y review my application one more time. School Y, while one of my in-state schools, is an area that I have no family and no friends in, but I decided to stay in the area because I fully expected to be admitted and I wanted to stay with my fiancé.

In September, I received interview invites for school X from my original year and school Y, as expected. I was very excited and looking forward to being finally admitted after doing everything possible for myself. I stayed in touch with admissions committee, and my current job wrote a fantastic letter of recommendation for me. My interviews at both schools I felt went very well and I was complemented during them for my persistence and the quality of my application.

Fast forward to now and I am currently waitlisted at both schools AGAIN. I have sent many update letters, many new letters of recommendation, met with many people at both schools, including the dean of both schools and told that I am a fantastic student, and would be an asset to any class, but I have yet to be accepted.

I understand that this process is tough on everyone. I also enjoy seeing people finally get accepted after years of hard work, but I wonder why it hasn’t been me. I feel lied to and duped by this whole process. I feel like I was promised something by a lot of people, and then let down. There have been so many supportive people that have helped me along the way, and I feel like I have just let every single one of them down. I know this is nobody’s fault, but I’m just so upset.

I also feel like I was receptive to feedback at various points during this process and the only feedback I ever received was to take more science classes and improve my GPA, which I did. I genuinely don’t know what to do and I’m starting to just crumble.
To anyone who made it all the way to the end. Thanks for listening. I hope you all get accepted to your schools and I would appreciate any words of encouragement.
I’m really sorry you’re in this position, this process can be so draining and frustrating. The practical advice I could offer is to apply to a wider range of schools, dedicate yourself to something truly meaningful for you this year (something you’re passionate about that you can do for the sake of its enjoyment and challenge rather as solely an application booster), and spend some time developing the story about yourself and your journey you want ti share with adcoms.

But you asked for encouragement and I think you’re due for some. You sound like a thoughtful, intelligent, driven person. But more importantly, it sounds like you’ve made a lot of sacrifices for this dream, often at the expense of other meaningful aspects of your life. Perhaps you’ll get in at one of your schools and you’ll feel validated and relieved. Maybe you won’t and will have to consider whether to apply again, and it will be disappointing but I promise it won’t be the end of the world, it may even give you the freedom to outside things you wouldn’t have otherwise. At her commencement speech at Harvard in 2008 (I think) J. K. Rowling (I know she’s said some morally reprehensible stuff but she makes a good point in this speech) she shares that when she felt like the most abject failure, when all her worst case scenarios had come true and she felt as though she’d hit rock bottom, it became the “solid ground in which {she} rebuilt her life.” They’re incredible freedom in realizing that the thing you fear the most might not actually have the power to destroy you. We’re notoriously poor predictors of how unhappy our worst case scenarios will make us, and for how long that disappointment will last. I encourage you to think of this time as a ****tily wrapped gift, once that is bittersweet but still meaningful and important. It may be an opportunity to nurture your relationship with your partner and spend time being you, rather than the version of yourself that’s been single-mindedly pursuing this goal for years. Maybe you’ll read this and resent that I’m trying to find silver linings in an undoubtedly frustrating situation. I don’t mean to invalidate or minimize how heartbreaking this kind of prolonged rejection can be. But finding things to be grateful for and to look forward to is the only way to stay sane and find joy through such a difficult process. If you decide to continue pursuing medicine, this ability to find peace and joy beyond your circumstance will not only make you an incredible physician, but a great human your patients and coworkers will feel lucky to know. I really hope it works out for you, I’m crossing my fingers.

• Love
  • Care
Reaffirming that I will be accepted this week of the waitlist!!! May we all receive the acceptances we want

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
If I had to do this again, I would have applied to DO schools. I did not know anything about them, and thought DO was basically MD lite. I have been enlightened, and now I would have preferred to go to a DO school. But no way in hell am I doing this again!

• Care
I’ve become just a little stitious lately… manifesting that I will get an A from my top waitlisted school this week!!

• Love
If I had to do this again, I would have applied to DO schools. I did not know anything about them, and thought DO was basically MD lite. I have been enlightened, and now I would have preferred to go to a DO school. But no way in hell am I doing this again!
me 🤝 getting zero love from DO schools

(still waiting to hear back from one but at this point it’s likely an R)

• Care
if waitlist hopeful ever sees this, I’m sorry that this happened. I am keenly aware of how damaging it is to sacrifice your present for false hope. But I am confident in our abilities. And I don’t believe we have sacrificed in vain. Hoping we both get off our WL. Wishing you the best of luck

• Care
Coming here to drop off some manifestations for tomorrow! Praying for a call worth celebrating this week 🎉

• Love
MD ACCEPTANCE:

I CANNOT BREATHE WHEN YOU ARE NOT NEAR, I LOVE YOU, MY HEART CALLS YOUR NAME!!!

manifestation complete, see you guys tomorrow

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
I've gotta get this off my chest - I feel so conflicted about whether it is even worth going through the hassle of re-applying this cycle. I really don't have anything major to add to my application if I were to re-apply. I also need to re-write my MCAT in order to re-apply this cycle because my score is expired now. This means that my app won't be considered until September (at least I think that's how it works). But September is still earlier than when I had my secondaries complete this year. I'm just having a hard time stomaching the reality of another two full gap years by not re-applying this next cycle.

At the same time, I want to put my best foot forward if I have to re-apply. To make things more ambiguous, I was also told by admissions for the school I'm WL at that they got to my spot on the alternate list in previous years, including last year, and that I'm in a relatively good spot...so there's reason to be optimistic. But I really don't want to place all my bets on this one waitlist cuz nothing is guaranteed.

What would you guys do? Do you think I should just start my re-app tomorrow? Would this give me time to still get my primary into the verification queue on time?
I would start studying for the mid July Mcat !

I honestly need some place to vent… I only applied MD this cycle because I didn’t really know what DO was since my schools pre med advisors suck badly. I feel like I would have had a decent shot at DO as I only got on the WL for my state MD and am still waitlisted. This whole process has drained me, I have cried more in the past several months than since I was a baby probably. And to make matters worse, if I don’t get in I need to retake my MCAT because it’s not good. At this point I don’t even know if I want in this cycle. I’m planning to room with a best friend and work in a hospital for the next year and maybe reapply. Maybe DO would be my better bet next cycle as my state also has a few of those. Anyways, tmi, but I needed somewhere to vent to people who actually understand this process and what I’m going through because none of my friends or family really do.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Manifesting that I get into my top waitlist school this week! We got this guys. Keep strong with what hope we have left, even if it may be little.

• Love
Hoping, praying, and manifestingthat one of my WL turns to an A in the next month! In spite of the uncertainty and angst I’m feeling, I’m so glad to be in this positive and supportive space with you all. Thank you.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Day 2 of the week!!

I have decided that I and my amazingly supportive members of this group will be receiving an acceptance email/call from our top choice waitlist schools by the end of this week!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
🕯️🕯️ I have decided that everyone here on a WL will be receiving an acceptance from their top choice WL school by the end of the week! 🕯️🕯️

• Love
  • Care
Day 2: I have decided that me and my friends here will be getting off of a waitlist today preferably from our top choices!

• Love
anyone else looking at the caribbean at this point like
Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance email/call from my top-choice waitlist school by the end of this week!

• Love
I have decided that I am going to receive an acceptance call/email from my waitlist schools today.

• Love
Manifesting that I will get into my waitlisted school (in Texas) this week!!!

• Love
Universe, I demand that you give me my acceptance email by the end of June so I can plan my move in a reasonable amount of time!!

• Love
I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance email/call from one of my 4 waitlists sometime this week or next week! :)

• Love
I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance email from my top waitlist school by the end of this week! Pleazzzzzzz

• Love
Once again manifesting that I get off a waitlist spot today!!!

• Love
Manifesting for us ✨all✨ to get off our top choice waitlists this week!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users