2024-2025 Duke

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that adds up to me. duke over hopkins because of weather/location or what else
Good med students will get where they need to and want to be. Choosing between med schools largely comes down to what you think will help you be the best version of yourself + your maximum potential when you’re there. Obviously curricular things, environment and vibes are a big part of that which Duke does an amazing job of. But other more personal factors matter a lot too.
 
This may be a stupid question- but to what degree is Duke’s match list self-selection, with more students being interested in competitive surgical specialities? I just looked at Yale’s match list and it appears they had 3 ortho and 2 neuro? Given Yale is an equally prestigious institution their students also shouldn’t have a hard time matching to their specialty or program of choice right?
 
This may be a stupid question- but to what degree is Duke’s match list self-selection, with more students being interested in competitive surgical specialities? I just looked at Yale’s match list and it appears they had 3 ortho and 2 neuro? Given Yale is an equally prestigious institution their students also shouldn’t have a hard time matching to their specialty or program of choice right?
Thats because alot of people only look at the competitive specialties, but if you wanted to match a less competitive specialty but at Yale, UCSF, Harvard...etc you still have to be extremely competitive. Also, you have to think most of the competitive stuff are surgical subspecialties: NSGY, Ortho, ENT, PRS..the exception is Derm. So looking at your example of Yale, sure they only had 3 ortho, and 2 NSGY but how many of their other specialties matched into prestigious institutions, i'd bet most of them did.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thats because alot of people only look at the competitive specialties, but if you wanted to match a less competitive specialty but at Yale, UCSF, Harvard...etc you still have to be extremely competitive. Also, you have to think most of the competitive stuff are surgical subspecialties: NSGY, Ortho, ENT, PRS..the exception is Derm. So looking at your example of Yale, sure they only had 3 ortho, and 2 NSGY but how many of their other specialties matched into prestigious institutions, i'd bet most of them did.
Ah okay, how do we go about interpreting match lists then? I was going off the prior convo where the focus was on nsgy, ortho, plastics etc… but I’m guessing this may be a flawed approach?
 
depends what specialty for the first point.

if you're from t20 and want to make it to academic high tier IM, legit just get AOA (not even tbh, just breathe in the right direction).

if you're from t100. you need AOA/GHHS, high step2, and great connections/hooks like urm/military. and even then, you might slip through the cracks.

it's no coincidence the first column here is school score. i have to study the weights later but I remember in their formula, school score is quite high.
Do they give all kids from T-20’s the same score or do they delinate between schools?
 
Anyone have this year’s match list (broken down by school)?

Given that Duke has very limited distinction among its students (all P/F, no AOA, no rank, etc), I’m curious to see how it compares to other top schools - especially since this is only the 2nd match with step 1 p/f
 
tf is going on in the water at duke?

8 nsgy, 5 plastics, 11 ortho, 4 ent, 7 ophtho, 3 derm

im assuming that it's a mix of the 1 year preclinical, true p/f, and admissions making it attractive w those etc to steal the sub-harvards? just collect the best X factor'd applicants since those will carry over to matching (and sacrifice the 1-3 points on mcat median). genius strat

anyone got a complete match list? (redact the names if you need to)
looking at last years match list it looks pretty similar. 11 gen surg, 11 ortho, 5 nsgy, etc. duke been in its bag
 
Has anyone heard if they are in consideration of a merit scholarship? I vaguely remember them saying they would notify if you were in consideration but am not sure.
 
Has anyone heard if they are in consideration of a merit scholarship? I vaguely remember them saying they would notify if you were in consideration but am not sure.
The wording of the email was weird. They did say they would let you know if you are in consideration but I think it would be very odd for a school to say you're in consideration for the scholarship and then not give you the scholarship when everyone is automatically considered to begin with. I think they just meant that they will tell you if you get a merit scholarship. I think we have to hang tight for another week or two until they start sending them out.
 
If you already got financial aid and it showed 0 for merit does that mean you're not in the running?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any updates regarding merit aid? i am wondering if they plan to let us know if it’s been decided we won’t receive a scholarship. i imagine it’ll strongly affect a lot of people’s school decisions and it’s getting close to april 30…
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
was just coming to ask this… also anyone know when WL movement started in previous years?
waitlist movement could start today (it started 5/2 and 5/3 ish the last few years) Both the GroupMe and FB group are still fairly overenrolled but it’s hard to tell because there are current students and possible stragglers. I asked a counselor at Duke about WL movement last week and they said they thought the waitlist would move based on the numbers they had at the time but only a small amount “way less than 10 people” (and things may have drastically changed since I asked them) TLDR it’s not looking great but it’s not impossible
 
waitlist movement could start today (it started 5/2 and 5/3 ish the last few years) Both the GroupMe and FB group are still fairly overenrolled but it’s hard to tell because there are current students and possible stragglers. I asked a counselor at Duke about WL movement last week and they said they thought the waitlist would move based on the numbers they had at the time but only a small amount “way less than 10 people” (and things may have drastically changed since I asked them) TLDR it’s not looking great but it’s not impossible

I’m in the GroupMe sent by current Duke students and several folks have left it in the past few days! It has ~150 people but there are several current students in this chat as well
 
I’m in the GroupMe sent by current Duke students and several folks have left it in the past few days! It has ~[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]] people but there are several current students in this chat as well

Is it looking like there won’t be movement this year 🙁 ?
 
Hey! To give more clarity, last year’s class was 119 students and currently the GroupMe still has around 150 students (even with students leaving after April 30th). I thought they may have over enrolled this year, but they accepted around 220 students initially and usually schools are able to retain 60% of accepted students then go to the waitlist. So I think they had really good retention this year amongst other schools. You can never tell honestly; students may still be on the waitlist for other schools and will swap when given acceptance, so I’d still send letter of intent! I just wanted to give those who are waiting an update and clearer picture if there will or will not be movement. Best of luck to you all! 🙂
 
Hey! To give more clarity, last year’s class was 119 students and currently the GroupMe still has around 150 students (even with students leaving after April 30th). I thought they may have over enrolled this year, but they accepted around 220 students initially and usually schools are able to retain 60% of accepted students then go to the waitlist. So I think they had really good retention this year amongst other schools. You can never tell honestly; students may still be on the waitlist for other schools and will swap when given acceptance, so I’d still send letter of intent! I just wanted to give those who are waiting an update and clearer picture if there will or will not be movement. Best of luck to you all! 🙂
Hey, 👋🏻 I got a few questions for you. Seems like you are in the group me so you can see the number of students on there, but how do you know there was 220 students who got acceptance letters this year? Also, the people who are waitlisted probably already sent their letter of intent, so are you saying they should send another one? Let me know, because as far as I know schools generally don’t prefer students sending another letter of intent if one was already sent. Thanks!
 
Hey, 👋🏻 I got a few questions for you. Seems like you are in the group me so you can see the number of students on there, but how do you know there was 220 students who got acceptance letters this year? Also, the people who are waitlisted probably already sent their letter of intent, so are you saying they should send another one? Let me know, because as far as I know schools generally don’t prefer students sending another letter of intent if one was already sent. Thanks!
Hey! Yes I had made a typo mistake. There was about 230 students accepted this year and I know because when they sent the email updates or the second look details, it showed everyone’s email lol and the number of people in the event calendar. That was sent right after acceptances late Feb so it seems to be anyone who was accepted. One thing I’ve learned about the cycle is just shooting your shot. It won’t hurt to send another letter of intent or at least asking admissions for an update if there will be movement and next steps. You are well in your right especially with CTE deadlines approaching for schools and needing to figure out your future (even with finaid if you plan to come!!). I’ve been seeing other schools (including T20s) with waitlist movements or at least updates/communication to their waitlist candidates. I’m not sure what the hold up is with admissions but I hope they give you the clarity you all deserve!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to all the committed ppl! If you have any questions for a current student, feel free to shoot me a DM (caveat: I unfortunately have no info about the WL).
 
I encourage you to email them! Last years SDN thread reports someone e-mailing and admissions provided a transparent answer!
Emailed them and this was their response!

"We are not at a point where we can take anyone from the wait list right now. We have a class, however, some of the students are still Plan to Enroll. If students change their minds or make other decisions, we will consider going to the wait list."
 
Emailed them and this was their response!

"We are not at a point where we can take anyone from the wait list right now. We have a class, however, some of the students are still Plan to Enroll. If students change their minds or make other decisions, we will consider going to the wait list."
Ahh sounds like very little WL movement then, if they already have a class mostly made up
 
If you go back to last years thread, greenjellybean22 posted the exact same thing on May 3: “From admissions, emailed them today: "We are not at a point where we can take anyone from the wait list right now. We have a class, however, some of the students are still Plan to Enroll. If students change their minds or make other decisions, we will consider going to the wait list."”

I’m confused. In my state of bumming around and wondering where I will be next year, I continued to read through the 23-24 Duke SDN thread. It seemed like nobody who was active on the thread last year ended up getting an A from the WL. Does this mean there was no waitlist movement? Does this mean the same thing will happen this year? 🤷‍♂️

If someone has insight from last years waitlist plz let us know
 
Last edited: