You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Should we hope for an II wave today? (Pretty please UCLA)
I want one from here so badly ill literally give up all my toesShould we hope for an II wave today? (Pretty please UCLA)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ribonucleoprotein
Full Member
I want one from here so badly ill literally give up all my toes
i’ll name my first born david geffen
thatmeespresso
Full Member
do you think they would accept me if i elected to donate my body to them for science upon death
Follow up question: Will they accept me if I bring K-Dot on campus and we perform "Not Like Us" for the admissions committee?do you think they would accept me if i elected to donate my body to them for science upon death
You guys keep saying these and the secondaries in a few years be like: How much are you willing to sacrifice for an A from our school?Follow up question: Will they accept me if I bring K-Dot on campus and we perform "Not Like Us" for the admissions committee?
No fr we're already heading that direction might as well full send itYou guys keep saying these and the secondaries in a few years be like: How much are you willing to sacrifice for an A from our school?
If we haven't received a secondary at this point in the cycle, is it safe to assume that I was screened out? Im IS verified 7/19
"The David Geffen School of Medicine uses a rolling, holistic process to review applications for admission. This means that there is no specific date when you should expect to be notified of an application update or decision. The timeline varies for each applicant."If we haven't received a secondary at this point in the cycle, is it safe to assume that I was screened out? Im IS verified 7/19
But at this point, if you haven't gotten a secondary, it's not good. Even if you do get one this month, it means they ranked your primary application very low unless you were recently verified."The David Geffen School of Medicine uses a rolling, holistic process to review applications for admission. This means that there is no specific date when you should expect to be notified of an application update or decision. The timeline varies for each applicant."
Agree :/ My first cycle I didn’t get a secondary. And once it hit mid September I knew it was an R. They formally gave me the R in November.But at this point, if you haven't gotten a secondary, it's not good. Even if you do get one this month, it means they ranked your primary application very low unless you were recently verified.
Last edited:
AMCAS is actually all caught up so if you haven't gotten a secondary, chances are you're not getting one.But at this point, if you haven't gotten a secondary, it's not good. Even if you do get one this month, it means they ranked your primary application very low unless you were recently verified.
Sad, somehow I got one from UCI tho
I'd say UC Davis, UCLA, and UCSF are the most selective UCs for handing out secondaries. I could be wrong though.Sad, somehow I got one from UCI tho
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Other way around for me, got UCLA but havent gotten UCI or UCSFSad, somehow I got one from UCI tho
UCI explicitly states only 50% of their applicants get secondaries on their website. So if you think UCLA is more selective, I'm going to need hard statistics.I'd say UC Davis, UCLA, and UCSF are the most selective UCs for handing out secondaries. I could be wrong though.
For the secondary application, does the 800 character limit include spaces?
Play around with the portal and find out. I submitted a long time ago, I don't remember, but I believe so.For the secondary application, does the 800 character limit include spaces?
letmein528
Full Member
Play around with the portal and find out. I submitted a long time ago, I don't remember, but I believe so.
this response killed me idk why[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
I haven’t transmitted my primary to them yet, so prewriting secondary just in case. If anyone knows the answer, lmk! Much appreciated 🙏🏽Play around with the portal and find out. I submitted a long time ago, I don't remember, but I believe so.
It does. Most secondaries, if not all, include spaces. Actually, I only remember one app that did not include spaces.I haven’t transmitted my primary to them yet, so prewriting secondary just in case. If anyone knows the answer, lmk! Much appreciated 🙏🏽
I think it's because the answer is literally "**** around and find out" but I phrased it differntly.this response killed me idk why[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
Thanks! You’re awesome. Sending you good vibes and many acceptances. ✨It does. Most secondaries, if not all, include spaces. Actually, I only remember one app that did not include spaces.
Thanks! You’re awesome. Sending you good vibes and many acceptances. [emoji92]
Your handle is the best one I’ve seen so far
premedwhoopss
Full Member
+1 IS II LM 74 complete 7/26!
D
deleted1199638
+1 IS II, my first md ii 🥹🥹🥹
lol not cool going around different threads telling people they're not getting secondaries. I've seen your same comment on different threads. Stay hopeful everyone. Every school reviews primaries differently.AMCAS is actually all caught up so if you haven't gotten a secondary, chances are you're not getting one.
carneasdasd
Full Member
Am I cooked if I was marked complete on 7/16?
Better just withdraw your app now and start packing the sunscreen.Am I cooked if I was marked complete on 7/16?
Please tell me this is a sht post
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While their post is a little neurotic ofc, you can't blame others for being nervous because this process is so secretive and uncertain. This process is hard enough, maybe we should just give everyone the benefit of the doubt and if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all 🙃 just a thought, let's be kind pls!Better just withdraw your app now and start packing the sunscreen.
Please tell me this is a sht post
While their post is a little neurotic ofc, you can't blame others for being nervous because this process is so secretive and uncertain. This process is hard enough, maybe we should just give everyone the benefit of the doubt and if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all 🙃 just a thought, let's be kind pls!
It also costs SO much, monetarily and otherwise. Some people put a lot more on the line relatively to go through this process. They have the right to be anxious. Let's keep in mind that none of us know what's going on in other people's lives and what additional factors could be intersecting with this already stressful process. The reason these questions are pervasive is that people have this level of anxiety inside; calling them neurotic adds nothing to the situation.
Maybe a pinned post with answers to these common questions would be beneficial instead? We could just have these answers/this reassurance available and reduce the number of these questions being asked. Seems like a relatively solvable problem.
💯💯💯! Thank u for saying this. Also, some people invested an incredible amount of money and have made tough sacrifices to apply. So even if they are being a bit neurotic -- that should be ok. The whole point of this forum is quite literally to support one another lol.While their post is a little neurotic ofc, you can't blame others for being nervous because this process is so secretive and uncertain. This process is hard enough, maybe we should just give everyone the benefit of the doubt and if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all 🙃 just a thought, let's be kind pls!
Yes, you're totally right, I definitely shouldn't have used the word neurotic, agree with this 100%It also costs SO much, monetarily and otherwise. Some people put a lot more on the line relatively to go through this process. They have the right to be anxious. Let's keep in mind that none of us know what's going on in other people's lives and what additional factors could be intersecting with this already stressful process. The reason these questions are pervasive is that people have this level of anxiety inside; calling them neurotic adds nothing to the situation.
Maybe a pinned post with answers to these common questions would be beneficial instead? We could just have these answers/this reassurance available and reduce the number of these questions being asked. Seems like a relatively solvable problem.
carneasdasd
Full Member
It’s not. People who submitted after me have been getting interview invites so I’m genuinely worried if I am done for.Better just withdraw your app now and start packing the sunscreen.
Please tell me this is a sht post
I really need to get into a CA school because i am currently homeless without direct family and my only distant family is in California. This is my 5th gap year and I gave everything to this application cycle. So yes, I am very neurotic and anxious and being oos does not help at all.
Maybe you need to develop some empathy cuz clearly you lack some as a “future” physician.
It’s not. People who submitted after me have been getting interview invites so I’m genuinely worried if I am done for.
I really need to get into a CA school because i am currently homeless without direct family and my only distant family is in California. This is my 5th gap year and I gave everything to this application cycle. So yes, I am very neurotic and anxious and being oos does not help at all.
Maybe you need to develop some empathy cuz clearly you lack some as a “future” physician.
I apologize for the “flippant-ness” of my earlier message. I was trying to communicate that it is still very early in the cycle and schools do not always go in order of complete dates. In fact UCLA’s process is a bit of a black box where secondaries go in and select II come out. You have done the hard work by submitting early. All you can do now is trust in your experiences and application. I say this as much to myself as you, checking SDN constantly will not ease your anxiety and it will not affect your chances of acceptances in any way.
I hope you have a great cycle and I apologize for dismissing your valid feelings with what i believed was a joke in good faith.
smokymango
New Member
Even though I feel the whole process is unnecessarily very long drawn, I suppose it teaches humility to all. Irrespective of one's credentials, everyone goes through the same emotions. The heart cries "Please God, one acceptance please!!!". Hope everyone remembers these days for their whole life.
Shayanel H.
Shayanel H.
Hey all!
I took my MCAT 7/26 and got my score back 8/26 (score: 509). 1500+ research w/ Nature pub; 1000+ clinical; X-factor: charity org founder for my ethnic country raising over $5 million. Part of over 7 research labs and president of a few minority pre-health orgs. 4.00 cGPA at a UC undergrad school (hence CA in-state). URM.
I still haven't received a secondary yet. Is this normal? Should I be a little worried? I was hoping to get my secondary the first week of September but they might be backlogged, so I'm not quite sure.
I took my MCAT 7/26 and got my score back 8/26 (score: 509). 1500+ research w/ Nature pub; 1000+ clinical; X-factor: charity org founder for my ethnic country raising over $5 million. Part of over 7 research labs and president of a few minority pre-health orgs. 4.00 cGPA at a UC undergrad school (hence CA in-state). URM.
I still haven't received a secondary yet. Is this normal? Should I be a little worried? I was hoping to get my secondary the first week of September but they might be backlogged, so I'm not quite sure.
Have you received their email acknowledging your primary application? (I got my secondary very soon after that)Hey all!
I took my MCAT 7/26 and got my score back 8/26 (score: 509). 1500+ research w/ Nature pub; 1000+ clinical; X-factor: charity org founder for my ethnic country raising over $5 million. Part of over 7 research labs and president of a few minority pre-health orgs. 4.00 cGPA at a UC undergrad school (hence CA in-state). URM.
I still haven't received a secondary yet. Is this normal? Should I be a little worried? I was hoping to get my secondary the first week of September but they might be backlogged, so I'm not quite sure.
Shayanel H.
Shayanel H.
Yeah. They sent me that email 2 months ago now when I first submitted my primary. Haven't heard from them since.Have you received their email acknowledging your primary application? (I got my secondary very soon after that)
I forgot to mention that UCSD sent their secondary to me 2 days ago. Perhaps it might take a few more days because of how much more UCLA likes to screen.
they holistically screen & say that everyone's timeline looks different. given the later MCAT result I wouldnt be surprised if you were to get your secondary later. no point in worrying -- you're in the running until you get an R! good luck.Hey all!
I took my MCAT 7/26 and got my score back 8/26 (score: 509). 1500+ research w/ Nature pub; 1000+ clinical; X-factor: charity org founder for my ethnic country raising over $5 million. Part of over 7 research labs and president of a few minority pre-health orgs. 4.00 cGPA at a UC undergrad school (hence CA in-state). URM.
I still haven't received a secondary yet. Is this normal? Should I be a little worried? I was hoping to get my secondary the first week of September but they might be backlogged, so I'm not quite sure.
Shayanel H.
Shayanel H.
Thank you!!they holistically screen & say that everyone's timeline looks different. given the later MCAT result I wouldnt be surprised if you were to get your secondary later. no point in worrying -- you're in the running until you get an R! good luck.
A few minutes after your reply, I received an invite to one of their info sessions about the medical school. Hopefully must mean I'm still in the running!
Letmeinpleaseucr
Full Member
I also have a 509. They sent me a secondary it just took time. They have alot of apps to sort through so sadly there is a delayYeah. They sent me that email 2 months ago now when I first submitted my primary. Haven't heard from them since.
I forgot to mention that UCSD sent their secondary to me 2 days ago. Perhaps it might take a few more days because of how much more UCLA likes to screen.
Do you mean 9/15II received 9/20. Sent in secondary 7/24. LizzyM 82.7, PREview 9
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
averagepremed0101
MD Class of 2029
either that or they’re manifesting an interview for this friday 🤣Do you mean 9/15
CelestialDragon
Full Member
how long did it take for you to receive their secondary? thnx... received the primary acknowledgement email back on 7/10 and it's been silent after that...I also have a 509. They sent me a secondary it just took time. They have alot of apps to sort through so sadly there is a delay
More like 9/10. That's when the last II wave went out.Do you mean 9/15
same, we're in it for the long runhow long did it take for you to receive their secondary? thnx... received the primary acknowledgement email back on 7/10 and it's been silent after that...