2024-2025 Utah

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So did everyone else get this email too? I haven't been accepted so it seems like it was a mistake but maybe they're just going to call us tomorrow. Don't want to get my hopes up though. Either way, the U is definitely on my hit list after this.


Here is the text for the SDN people who are going to ask for it:

Dear Incoming Medical Student,

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine at the University of Utah. We are thrilled for you and look forward to working with you on next steps. We'd like to invite you to apply and be considered for institutional scholarships and/or federal loans. The Supplemental Application for Institutional Scholarships and Loans will be available after December [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]rd, [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]]]. To be considered for Institutional Scholarships and Loans, you must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa and the School of Medicine Supplemental Application.............(the rest is unimportant)

I got this email last night. To say I am upset and embarrassed about my excitement from last night is an understatement. I interviewed back in October and haven’t heard anything back yet. Although I thought it was weird the phone call from Dr Chan didn’t come first, I fell for it. For those of us who are waiting for a response and got this email and the “apology” email, we deserve more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
u
1739012193714.png
h
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS A! I got the call from a "No Caller ID" number around 10:00 am.

Low stats LM: ~61.6 and PREview 9/9 so I'm super grateful! Based on what he told me in the call I think my activities, application writing, interviews, and LOR’s are what did it.

Secondary app complete: Oct. 17
Interview Invite: Oct. 31
Interview: Dec. 6
Acceptance: Feb. 12

I did get the mistaken acceptance email and the apology email last week FWIW. So excited! Hope everyone hears back soon!
 
Last edited:
Do we know if there's any pattern to the admissions? It feels so random, I can't tell if they're moving down a list based on the priority of the applicant or if it's related to interview date or what.
 
Do we know if there's any pattern to the admissions? It feels so random, I can't tell if they're moving down a list based on the priority of the applicant or if it's related to interview date or what.

It’s starting to look gloom for those of us without A’s… are there any other big waves that are supposed to happen?
 
Question that will help future applicants: for those who are accepted, what was your preview score? Interested if that is correlated to matriculation. My friend and I who are both accepted both got 9’s. Anyone with a low score that still got in? I recognize n=2 but it would be good info to have for future applicants.
 
Question that will help future applicants: for those who are accepted, what was your preview score? Interested if that is correlated to matriculation. My friend and I who are both accepted both got 9’s. Anyone with a low score that still got in? I recognize n=2 but it would be good info to have for future applicants.
I was accepted yesterday, and also got a 9/9 on PREview (March 2023 exam)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: wop
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question that will help future applicants: for those who are accepted, what was your preview score? Interested if that is correlated to matriculation. My friend and I who are both accepted both got 9’s. Anyone with a low score that still got in? I recognize n=2 but it would be good info to have for future applicants.
Accepted and scored a 7/9
 
Question that will help future applicants: for those who are accepted, what was your preview score? Interested if that is correlated to matriculation. My friend and I who are both accepted both got 9’s. Anyone with a low score that still got in? I recognize n=2 but it would be good info to have for future applicants.
Accepted with 5/9
 
Question that will help future applicants: for those who are accepted, what was your preview score? Interested if that is correlated to matriculation. My friend and I who are both accepted both got 9’s. Anyone with a low score that still got in? I recognize n=2 but it would be good info to have for future applicants.
Accepted with 5/9 as well
 
  • Like
Reactions: wop
Question that will help future applicants: for those who are accepted, what was your preview score? Interested if that is correlated to matriculation. My friend and I who are both accepted both got 9’s. Anyone with a low score that still got in? I recognize n=2 but it would be good info to have for future applicants.
Grain of salt, but a faculty member told me that at this point it carries zero weight for admissions decisions. May change in the future, but for now it's just data collection.
 
  • Like
Reactions: wop
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we know if there's any pattern to the admissions? It feels so random, I can't tell if they're moving down a list based on the priority of the applicant or if it's related to interview date or what.
The packet pdf they sent after the interview says on page 4 that: "Notifications are not sent based on when you interviewed". What I've learned from going to multiple of their admissions events over the years and looking over the online stuff below from Dr. Chan is that rolling admissions notifications may be primarily based on an applicant scoring system/rubric. Some people with higher total app scores may receive an acceptance offer sooner after their interview than others, such as those who hear in October.
________

In case anyone or future applicants are curious about what I've learned about the process:

From what I last heard from an admissions event, interview selection is stats blind after you make it through the 3.0 GPA/500 MCAT secondary screening, and admission coordinators told me at an event in 2023 that they select people to interview based on the quality of the secondary essays and your activities (Dr. Chan said a strong community service background for OOS in the second source below).

The interview is a completely closed file. After your interview, she told me that is when they look at your primary app. When you are up for a vote with Adcom, the vote is also stats-blind, and your stats score is added to your total app score after the vote. (1) Stats, (2) primary+secondary, and (3) interview scores may still be worth around 1/3 each of your total app score.

Some of these sources are older, and a lot has changed at the med school starting in 2023 with the new curriculum, so take everything with a grain of salt. However, the process and admissions preferences appear similar to what I've heard at events. They do interview fewer people now, and their letter of recommendation requirements and MCAT minimums changed since 2023.

See this page as well: A Guide to University of Utah School of Medicine’s (UUSOM) Secondary Essays



 
Last edited: