-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Telluride_0820
Full Member
So I assume this is the second wave? 😭
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, but worry not. God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers. We are amongst those soldiers. The ones who got A's were too weak to be challenged. Hang in there.So I assume this is the second wave? 😭
mayanad1234
Full Member
Is UTMB prematch heavy or do majority of students get accepted during match day?
They are considered prematch heavy but plenty of people get in from the match. Not everyone here that receives a prematch will end up attending the school, which is sorted out by the match. UTSW is higher ranked and prematch heavy but find themselves getting a ton of their students from the match.Is UTMB prematch heavy or do majority of students get accepted during match day?
yeah....looks like i'll be packing my sunscreen, congrats to everyone, personally super disappointed but whatever life goes on. If it was meant to be, it would happen.So I assume this is the second wave? 😭
Or you could get in on Match Dayyeah....looks like i'll be packing my sunscreen, congrats to everyone, personally super disappointed but whatever life goes on. If it was meant to be, it would happen.
Hopeful_MD2BE
New Member
Are pre match emails typically sent out at one time, or do they send them throughout the day?
roastbeef02
Full Member
Don’t give up yet. I know it’s frustrating. I didn’t get a prematch either and am also fighting some feelings of “what did I do wrong” but remember only a fraction of accepted students receive a prematch. We’re almost there. Just a few more weeks. We can all do it.yeah....looks like i'll be packing my sunscreen, congrats to everyone, personally super disappointed but whatever life goes on. If it was meant to be, it would happen.
mayanad1234
Full Member
I think they’re all sent out at onceAre pre match emails typically sent out at one time, or do they send them throughout the day?
Telluride_0820
Full Member
It’s so weird cause I talked to an admission rep and they said the second wave would be at the end of the month?? Would there be a third after the other preview day?
Preview day does not affect your admission chancesIt’s so weird cause I talked to an admission rep and they said the second wave would be at the end of the month?? Would there be a third after the other preview day?
booksnmedicine
Full Member
Keep in mind that even after match there will be movement. I remember people coming and going on the GroupMe after match last year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Telluride_0820
Full Member
I’m not saying it does. I’m saying they have released decisions historically the day of preview days or the day after.Preview day does not affect your admission chances
mayanad1234
Full Member
Yeah, I also received the same info at preview day. That prematches will be completed end of Jan. Not sure if they were just trying to keep it secretive since it was today ?It’s so weird cause I talked to an admission rep and they said the second wave would be at the end of the month?? Would there be a third after the other preview day?
Telluride_0820
Full Member
Or maybe there will be another wave at the end of the month…Yeah, I also received the same info at preview day. That prematches will be completed end of Jan. Not sure if they were just trying to keep it secretive since it was today ?
Maybe they finished their meetings early. It doesn’t mean today is the only dayYeah, I also received the same info at preview day. That prematches will be completed end of Jan. Not sure if they were just trying to keep it secretive since it was today ?
mayanad1234
Full Member
Could be! I think they sent prematches before all interviews were over in DecOr maybe there will be another wave at the end of the month…
D
deleted1208391
Do they send out information about scholarships before match day?
mayanad1234
Full Member
They said they don’t give out any money until after match bc they don’t want money being the reason students choose to come to UTMB.Do they send out information about scholarships before match day?
D
deleted1208391
Oh so they hate poor people 🗿
booksnmedicine
Full Member
They don’t hate poor people… based on demographics from last year they tend to matriculate a diverse student body (including socioeconomic status). Scholarships are also not awarded based solely on stats, so if your stats aren’t 10/10 don’t worry you can still get a scholarship.
johnnycashiscool
New Member
Has anyone gotten anything following the first "wave" today, will there be more?
"Historically" has been last year and this year, so I wouldn't put too much stock in a low N 🙂I’m not saying it does. I’m saying they have released decisions historically the day of preview days or the day after.
No prematches were sent before interviews were over.Could be! I think they sent prematches before all interviews were over in Dec
This is interesting. UTMB used to give out some pretty nice recruitment scholarships. In full transparency, I chose to come to UTMB for the money lol. I don't agree with the reasoning but it is what it is.They said they don’t give out any money until after match bc they don’t want money being the reason students choose to come to UTMB.
iloveharvard
Full Member
I am new to Texas system.
What's relationship between A and prematch? match == prematch?
Could A be denied in prematch? so confused to me.
If A is denied in prematch, A == R, right?
What's relationship between A and prematch? match == prematch?
Could A be denied in prematch? so confused to me.
If A is denied in prematch, A == R, right?
Please read this page, which will answer most of your questions.I am new to Texas system.
What's relationship between A and prematch? match == prematch?
Could A be denied in prematch? so confused to me.
If A is denied in prematch, A == R, right?
Next Steps After Submitting Your Application
EDIT: Just saw on Baylor's thread that you are OOS. None of this applies to you, you don't participate in our match system and therefore don't get prematches; you just get straight up accepted, and that A remains an A no matter what 🙂
A prematch is an A(cceptance). You are guaranteed a spot in the class if you want it. Prematch == A.
The Match is a ranked order system where you then rank all of the schools you interviewed at to see which one comes out on top (very similarly to how NRMP works for residency). You can rank your prematches anywhere on the list and you are guaranteed to AT LEAST get into the prematch you ranked highest. But you might get into a school you rank even higher.
So here are my schools from my entry year as an example:
I interviewed at Long, Dell, Foster, UTMB, UTSW, and Baylor. I got prematches from UTMB and Foster.
My rank list was:
1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. UTMB -- guaranteed acceptance
4. Foster -- guaranteed acceptance
5. Dell
6. Long
So, because I had a prematch at my #3, if my #1 and #2 did not match me (they did not), I would be guaranteed to match #3 (because they already matched me - a prematch).
Last edited:
Iceberg123
Full Member
I honestly find it weird because I attended the preview day today and the dean told us they won’t be done with prematches until the end of this month. He said they haven’t even reviewed all applicants interviewed. But who knows lmaoMaybe they finished their meetings early. It doesn’t mean today is the only day
Iceberg123
Full Member
So this is either a mini wave and a bigger wave is coming next week, or he straight up lied to us lmaoI honestly find it weird because I attended the preview day today and the dean told us they won’t be done with prematches until the end of this month. He said they haven’t even reviewed all applicants interviewed. But who knows lmao
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JaguarEnthusiast
Full Member
I wouldn't think too much about it. I doubt they would rank people they didn't review yet differently if they decide not to send out more prematches. I assume match would be the same.
Iceberg123
Full Member
All I’m saying is why would he lie about prematching the rest of the class at the end of the month?I wouldn't think too much about it. I doubt they would rank people they didn't review yet differently if they decide not to send out more prematches. I assume match would be the same.
JaguarEnthusiast
Full Member
There is a lot of reporting bias. They could send a few prematches and no one would report on SDN. Maybe he said it because they still are reviewing other applicants, but later they don't rank them high enough to send a prematch. Lots of what ifs.All I’m saying is why would he lie about prematching the rest of the class at the end of the month?
It is a stressful process. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much considering the match aspect. If you rank UTMB 1 and don't get in, doesn't matter if he lied about prematches at all.
Telluride_0820
Full Member
my bet is 100% there will be another pre-match.
Iceberg123
Full Member
Yeah I mean UTMB isn’t my top choice, I just find it odd that you’d go and lie to a room of100 people for no reason. Or may be he was just being based, who knows lmaoThere is a lot of reporting bias. They could send a few prematches and no one would report on SDN. Maybe he said it because they still are reviewing other applicants, but later they don't rank them high enough to send a prematch. Lots of what ifs.
It is a stressful process. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much considering the match aspect. If you rank UTMB 1 and don't get in, doesn't matter if he lied about prematches at all.
My guess if the admissions dean said there was going to be another round, there is likely going to be another round. From my experience last yr, the info they give out is fairly accurate. Plus they likely have to review the last several interview days since staff were traveling for holidays etc.
While this is much easier said than done, try to remember only 1/7 have a prematch heading into match day so the vast majority of acceptances happen through the match- UTMB included. Like someone else said above, not everyone who prematches here will attend here leaving plenty of seats to be had through the match. It’s really difficult to be patient during this part of the process but yall are so close 🙂
While this is much easier said than done, try to remember only 1/7 have a prematch heading into match day so the vast majority of acceptances happen through the match- UTMB included. Like someone else said above, not everyone who prematches here will attend here leaving plenty of seats to be had through the match. It’s really difficult to be patient during this part of the process but yall are so close 🙂
medicalstudentforever
New Member
IS A! LM 68. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. To those who are waiting, it will be your turn soon!
Also can somebody explain what this means in the acceptance letter?
"In accordance with federal guidelines for student financial aid, students will not be funded beyond the maximum budget allowance established –approx. $2,327 per month. This amount does not include tuition/fees, books, and supplies; it is for living expenses only."
Does this mean that everyone is given financial aid?
Also can somebody explain what this means in the acceptance letter?
"In accordance with federal guidelines for student financial aid, students will not be funded beyond the maximum budget allowance established –approx. $2,327 per month. This amount does not include tuition/fees, books, and supplies; it is for living expenses only."
Does this mean that everyone is given financial aid?
Everyone has the option to take financial aid via fafsa if you have not hit your lifetime limits via undergrad or previous grad school. Essentially, the school says it costs X amount to go here including living costs and that’s the maximum amount you’re allowed to borrow federally. The amount in that email is what UTMB estimates cost-of-living is. The UTMB financial aid website is an excellent resource. If you plan to attend the spring welcome event- they will do a financial aid session as well.
Is what you mean by "given financial aid" meaning a scholarship or grant you don't have to pay back? Unfortunately these are much less common in med school than in college, but there are some.IS A! LM 68. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. To those who are waiting, it will be your turn soon!
Also can somebody explain what this means in the acceptance letter?
"In accordance with federal guidelines for student financial aid, students will not be funded beyond the maximum budget allowance established –approx. $2,327 per month. This amount does not include tuition/fees, books, and supplies; it is for living expenses only."
Does this mean that everyone is given financial aid?
What this means is that when estimating living expenses as part of the cost of attendance (COA), they are going by this figure (2,327 a month). The costs of tuition, fees, books & study materials are a separate part of your cost of attendance.
If you are lucky enough to get a scholarship for "full cost of attendance" (which means tuition + living expenses) your costs beyond that figure (travel, car repair, car purchase, etc.) come from you.
If you are taking out federal loans for med school, there is a maximum amount you can borrow in subsidized loans.
While waiting for school decisions, this is a good time to start reading about Grad student subsidized and unsubsidized loans on FAFSA.gov
The amount you can borrow in subsidized government loans (the ones where you don't pay interest or start repaying principal until you graduate) has an upper limit.
If your costs are higher than that upper limit, you can borrow more in a non subsidized loan - these require you to start paying interest on the loan right away. What would make your costs higher than the upper limit? Going to med school in a high cost of living area, supporting a family while in med school, etc.
sarcomereinthesun26
New Member
Howdy- can anyone clarify if we accept our offer of admission in the AMP Portal, does that mean we aren't allowed to still rank other schools higher in the match? I just want to clarify as there was a time limit to respond to the acceptance offer.
Yes you can accept and still rank all the schools where you interviewedHowdy- can anyone clarify if we accept our offer of admission in the AMP Portal, does that mean we aren't allowed to still rank other schools higher in the match? I just want to clarify as there was a time limit to respond to the acceptance offer.
I wouldn’t do all of the forms unless you know FOR SURE that UTMB is your top choice and you intend to come. No need to make more work for everyone (yourself included) otherwise.
Agreed. Unless you are going to rank this pre-match as #1 for Match, wait until after Match day to do this extra paperwork.I wouldn’t do all of the forms unless you know FOR SURE that UTMB is your top choice and you intend to come. No need to make more work for everyone (yourself included) otherwise.
However, notice in your offer email that they would like you to accept this offer within 14 days, so be sure to do that part!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school will set up a FB groupHey, has anyone made an accepted students GroupMe? If so please DM! Thank you
huge huge congrats!!!!! hope you celebrate big 🙂 did they email you your decision? did you send any letters of interest/updates after your interview? I interviewed on 11/13 and haven't heard anything yet and am also OOO+1 OOS A! Interviewed 12/5
GroupMe and Facebook will not be set up until match day, just so no one is looking around for it now. Hang tight until match! There will be plenty of time for roommates and friend meeting and such
Chunky-Monkey
Full Member
Thank you! Yes, they sent the decision over email, and I did not send any letters of interest or updates post-interview. Best of luck to you! Hope you hear good news soonhuge huge congrats!!!!! hope you celebrate big 🙂 did they email you your decision? did you send any letters of interest/updates after your interview? I interviewed on 11/13 and haven't heard anything yet and am also OOO
thank you for responding!! appreciate your kind wishes as well. 🙂Thank you! Yes, they sent the decision over email, and I did not send any letters of interest or updates post-interview. Best of luck to you! Hope you hear good news soon