2025-2026 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are majority of acceptances sent through prematch for this school? Interviewed in September and have not heard back 🙁
Interviewed 9/3 and haven't heard back, so I'm in the same boat. From what I heard this school is prematch heavy but I also know a couple friends that got in through match, so keep your head high 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I signed up for the Preview Day this past week for this Friday, but I only selected a quantity of one. I was hoping to attend with my brother, who lives in the area. I noticed that the Preview Day registration is now closed, so I wanted to ask if there is any way to add an additional guest at this point, or if you have any guidance on what my options might be.
 
I signed up for the Preview Day this past week for this Friday, but I only selected a quantity of one. I was hoping to attend with my brother, who lives in the area. I noticed that the Preview Day registration is now closed, so I wanted to ask if there is any way to add an additional guest at this point, or if you have any guidance on what my options might be.
You cannot take a guest to preview day. After match they have another opportunity to tour and you can take one guest to that.
 
I wrote a letter of intent a couple weeks ago and got a pre match on Friday! Could just be a coincidence, but for anybody still waiting you could try that if you’re set on the school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who have prematched, "accepting" the offer of admission on the portal just means you accept the prematch offer right? I also just got an email about logging into the UTMB system but I'm assuming this matters more for if I match here and plan to matriculate?
 
For those of you who have prematched, "accepting" the offer of admission on the portal just means you accept the prematch offer right? I also just got an email about logging into the UTMB system but I'm assuming this matters more for if I match here and plan to matriculate?
Yes you can accept it and still rank it among any other schools for the match
 
For those of you who have prematched, "accepting" the offer of admission on the portal just means you accept the prematch offer right? I also just got an email about logging into the UTMB system but I'm assuming this matters more for if I match here and plan to matriculate?
Hi, following up on this. I accepted the offer into the portal where I accessed my secondary and interview information (AMP) but should I accept in on the "My Star UTMB" portal as well or am I good as it is? Any insight would be great thank you!
 
Hi, following up on this. I accepted the offer into the portal where I accessed my secondary and interview information (AMP) but should I accept in on the "My Star UTMB" portal as well or am I good as it is? Any insight would be great thank you!
Yes I clicked accepted in both sites
 
Did you’ll get an email telling you to go to My Star and sign there? I didn’t get any email after my prematch offer and accepted only in one place.
 
Would the last round of pre-match offers arrive before Jan 30th (when we have to submit our ranking) or Feb 13th (Match day)?
 
Would the last round of pre-match offers arrive before Jan 30th (when we have to submit our ranking) or Feb 13th (Match day)?
Pre-match is prior to match day. So any pre-match offers would have to be before Feb 13. From previous years' threads, I am predicting that all pre-match offers should be out by end of January
 
Would the last round of pre-match offers arrive before Jan 30th (when we have to submit our ranking) or Feb 13th (Match day)?
Prematch offers end at the end of January just like the ranking deadline. The time between Jan 30 and Feb 13 is spent running the Match Algorithm process and carefully checking that its information is accurate and consistent
 
I’ve signed up for Preview day on the 16th but seem to have very little information on it besides what’s on the sign up genius. Was there an email ever sent out with more information on it?

Update: Just got an email with the details from UTMB
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am so curious how the pre-match deliberations work .... if someone interviewed earlier in the cycle vs later, I would assume that they would have received an offer by now in the last 2 pre-match waves if they were ever going to receive one. Interviewed very early in the cycle and haven't received anything yet, so not getting my hopes up for the next pre-match wave haha. I guess match day it is!!
 
I am so curious how the pre-match deliberations work .... if someone interviewed earlier in the cycle vs later, I would assume that they would have received an offer by now in the last 2 pre-match waves if they were ever going to receive one. Interviewed very early in the cycle and haven't received anything yet, so not getting my hopes up for the next pre-match wave haha. I guess match day it is!!
I know people who interviewed early who pre-matched last week and I also know people who interviewed in November who pre-matched in December. It’s not always about accepting in order or accepting the best applicants, pre-matching is strategic and applications are likely rediscussed many times.
 
Pre matches aren’t linear because there is scarcity at play. Let say I interview 100 people in September and 50 of them seem awesome. However, if I offer all 50 of them prematches, that takes away 50 spots right off the bat. But I’ve got another 100 to interview in October, and 200 in November, and 100 in December…. What if half of all of THOSE folks also seem awesome?

UTMB has decided to wait until all interviews are done to do prematches so that (at least per my speculation) it solves some of this aforementioned problem. So now, once all interviews are done, everyone is more or less in one giant pool and can be reviewed together. The ones that have the best marks and match with the school (please note I’m not implying any specific kind of internal scoring or ranking system - there could be, there could not, we don’t know) will likely get prematches first, regardless of when they interviewed. After one wave goes out, they go back and reevaluate everyone again, making more cuts and more prematches on the way.

PLEASE NOTE I am not an adcom and this is all speculation with a general dash of “this is just how academic admissions works” (I did do a brief stint in an admissions office at another institution as part of a work study)
 
Pre matches aren’t linear because there is scarcity at play. Let say I interview 100 people in September and 50 of them seem awesome. However, if I offer all 50 of them prematches, that takes away 50 spots right off the bat. But I’ve got another 100 to interview in October, and 200 in November, and 100 in December…. What if half of all of THOSE folks also seem awesome?

UTMB has decided to wait until all interviews are done to do prematches so that (at least per my speculation) it solves some of this aforementioned problem. So now, once all interviews are done, everyone is more or less in one giant pool and can be reviewed together. The ones that have the best marks and match with the school (please note I’m not implying any specific kind of internal scoring or ranking system - there could be, there could not, we don’t know) will likely get prematches first, regardless of when they interviewed. After one wave goes out, they go back and reevaluate everyone again, making more cuts and more prematches on the way.

PLEASE NOTE I am not an adcom and this is all speculation with a general dash of “this is just how academic admissions works” (I did do a brief stint in an admissions office at another institution as part of a work study)
dont they interview like 1000 people?