2023-2024 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UTMB Secondary Essay Prompts: (Changed from last year's questions)
A. Please select 2 of the 5 below essay prompts to respond to (300 word count):

1. Describe a time when you advocated for someone whose social identity (e.g., race, gender, sex, religion, socioeconomic status, ability status, etc.) differed from yours. Explain the situation and why advocacy was necessary.

2. Describe a time you were wrong. Why were you wrong? How did you respond?

3. How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment.

4. What attributes do you look for in your physician(s)? Which of these attributes do you need to develop? How will you develop them?

5. John Sealy School of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch serves patients throughout Texas, focusing on Galveston County and Gulf Coast Region. Are there particular characteristics of our school and/or the Galveston area in terms of location, history, or other attributes which make you especially interested in matriculating here?

B. There will also be an asynchronous Video you need to complete via SparkHire, follow the instructions given.
Here is the SparkHire site with FAQS and info for candidates: SparkHire FAQS for candidates

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Texas Medical Branch-Galveston Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc

Man, Texas is so fast! Seems like there are fewer prompts this year, and you have to write 1 less essay. It seems they added an asynchronous video that we have to complete via SparkHire. I haven't opened it yet, so I'm not sure what it entails. Here are the secondary essays:

Please select 2 of the 5 below essay prompts to respond to (300 word count):
1. Describe a time when you advocated for someone whose social identity (e.g., race, gender, sex, religion, socioeconomic status, ability status, etc.) differed from yours. Explain the situation and why advocacy was necessary.
3. How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment.
4. What attributes do you look for in your physician(s)? Which of these attributes do you need to develop? How will you develop them?
5. John Sealy School of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch serves patients throughout Texas, focusing on Galveston County and Gulf Coast Region. Are there particular characteristics of our school and/or the Galveston area in terms of location, history, or other attributes which make you especially interested in matriculating here?

Reactions: 4 users
@wysdoc

Man, Texas is so fast! Seems like there are fewer prompts this year, and you have to write 1 less essay. It seems they added an asynchronous video that we have to complete via SparkHire. I haven't opened it yet, so I'm not sure what it entails. Here are the secondary essays:

Please select 2 of the 5 below essay prompts to respond to (300 word count):
Thanks, @yearofmagicalthinking
Time to write more!

For any videotaped sections they ask for, dress up business formal and try to have a non distracting background.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary! However, I'm not taking casper until this week and the email said my application won't be considered until they have this score. I'm assuming I should still follow the 1-2 week rule but I'm wondering if I can rush a little less to turn in my secondary?

Received a secondary! However, I'm not taking casper until this week and the email said my application won't be considered until they have this score. I'm assuming I should still follow the 1-2 week rule but I'm wondering if I can rush a little less to turn in my secondary?
They will read your secondary and see your CASPer score before deciding whom to interview.
I think if you take your CASPer then work on your secondary essays after that you will be just fine.
Last year the very first interview invitations went out on July 23.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no rush for secondary since it is still May. The rush is usually for primary to get it to released to the schools so you have an early app.

In theory schools wont read files until they are complete. In practice the majority of early calls go to high stat students when the files are complete.

Does anyone know if we are able to access the questions for the asynchronous video interview ahead of time?

Does anyone know if we are able to access the questions for the asynchronous video interview ahead of time?
No, the ability to think on your feet is part of an interview, whether it's an in-person interview or a taped interview like this one.
Even if some folks share their questions after doing theirs, a school might have a question bank so not everyone gets the same questions.
You can go to the SparkHire site to get familiar with what it will look like.
Dress in your business formal outfit.

No, the ability to think on your feet is part of an interview, whether it's an in-person interview or a taped interview like this one.
Even if some folks share their questions after doing theirs, a school might have a question bank so not everyone gets the same questions.
You can go to the SparkHire site to get familiar with what it will look like.
Dress in your business formal outfit.
Do they give sometime to prep or redo?

Do they give sometime to prep or redo?
This is the first year UTMB is using this kind of interview system as part of their secondary, so we're all going to be learning about it together.
It depends what settings the school selects from their side of things. Those settings will determine how long your taped response can be and whether you can do it over.

I decided to get the video interview out of the way, so I am taking one for the team and giving out some details:

- you get 4 questions and 2 minutes each to think about the prompt
- 2.5 minutes each to answer
- 1 take, so no redos!!

I won't post the questions themselves in the interest of integrity, but that way everyone can prepare a little better!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I decided to get the video interview out of the way, so I am taking one for the team and giving out some details:

- 1 take, so no redos!!

I won't post the questions themselves in the interest of integrity, but that way everyone can prepare a little better!
Thanks for the information for your fellow applicants and thanks for your discretion as well!

Members don't see this ad :)

- 1 take, so no redos!!

You are a good person no matter what they say about you. :)

- 1 take, so no redos!!

Thank you! Any tips/suggestions on how to prepare?

Thank you! Any tips/suggestions on how to prepare?
I would say just relax, dress business professional, and make sure you're looking at the camera of your laptop (instead of at yourself on the screen). If you've taken Casper, it is very similar to recording those video responses! I looked up some "common med school interview questions" in preparation but just because I was really nervous and didn't know what to expect. Obviously I could have bombed it and have no idea so take my advice with a grain of salt, LOL

Reactions: 4 users
Are we able to turn in Secondaries now or will we need to wait until June?

- 1 take, so no redos!!

Thank you for this information. I need to check if the website or MSAR reports the use of an asynchronous video as part of their admissions process. How does someone who requires accommodations request them?

I'm not interested in the content (this should come from the admissions office), but would preparing for Casper/situational assessment prompts help (refer to Casper/Situational Judgement Tests scenarios)?

I remember an admissions peer running similar recorded asynchronous videos, but they were on-site in front of a camera. I was able to predict which students got offers about 90% of the time (without knowing the prompts [one of which was selected randomly by the candidate] or the rubric) so take note of presenting yourself as professionally as possible.

Make sure you secure a place that you won't get interrupted with a solid connection. Don't use your bedroom... or if you do, clean it up.

Last edited:
Thank you for this information. I need to check if the website or MSAR reports the use of an asynchronous video as part of their admissions process. How does someone who requires accommodations request them?

I'm not interested in the content (this should come from the admissions office), but would preparing for Casper/situational assessment prompts help (refer to Casper/Situational Judgement Tests scenarios)?

I remember an admissions peer running similar recorded asynchronous videos, but they were on-site in front of a camera. I was able to predict which students got offers about 90% of the time (without knowing the prompts [one of which was selected randomly by the candidate] or the rubric) so take note of presenting yourself as professionally as possible.

Make sure you secure a place that you won't get interrupted with a solid connection. Don't use your bedroom... or if you do, clean it up.

Yes, taking Casper is good practice imo. The setup resembles (may be identical honestly) to the video responses

Casper is a requirement for UTMB.

Yes! & So I’d recommend fellow applicants to take Casper beforehand if possible if they’re like me and find the video response format awkward. (I missed longstoryshorty’s posts but they seem to have a similar take)

Reactions: 3 users
Just did the one-way interview myself. Can confirm that Casper is good practice.

Reactions: 3 users
I just finished the one-way interview too without taking CASPer and I thought it was fine cause they walk you through the video response format anyways.

I have submitted everything and my casper scores shows delivered on altius - however my status is incomplete. Any idea why? Should I reach out to them?

I have submitted everything and my casper scores shows delivered on altius - however my status is incomplete. Any idea why? Should I reach out to them?
A human being in the admissions office needs to match up the received CASPer score with your portal account. It takes a little time.

A human being in the admissions office needs to match up the received CASPer score with your portal account. It takes a little time.
Oh gotcha, did not know this. Thank you!

2023-2024: On the secondary portal did anyone get questions regarding white coat size and shirt size. Seems like an odd question lol.

2023-2024: On the secondary portal did anyone get questions regarding white coat size and shirt size. Seems like an odd question lol.
Yes! I was so confused why they were asking for all of that now. Got me all excited haha

I wanted to share these videos that dive into UTMB's culture and curriculum!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if I'm overthinking this but I did the SOWVI and I talked about a situation I talked about for one of my secondary responses, would it be best to change the secondary to another situation since they already heard about one and I could take the opportunity to talk about something else?

I don't know if I'm overthinking this but I did the SOWVI and I talked about a situation I talked about for one of my secondary responses, would it be best to change the secondary to another situation since they already heard about one and I could take the opportunity to talk about something else?
I think you can leave it- did you already turn in the secondary?

I think you can leave it- did you already turn in the secondary?
No, I didn't. I was going to turn it in tomorrow or Wednesday, since Thursday is my 2 week deadline! So I have the time to change it. I wrote another essay that would work for the same prompt that I'm just as happy with. I just found it easier to talk about what I talked about verbally because I feel like the alternate option is good but requires a little bit more explaining on paper.

Just got done with the video interview. As someone that struggled with Casper I thought this was A LOT more fun and really lets your personality shine! Don’t overthink it y’all!!

I have done the video interview and submitted the secondary, my app is still incomplete. Is it because of the CASPer? I just took it on Sunday so I know it'll be a couple weeks for that to be graded.

I have done the video interview and submitted the secondary, my app is still incomplete. Is it because of the CASPer? I just took it on Sunday so I know it'll be a couple weeks for that to be graded.
Yes UTMB won’t review an application without a casper score

Just got done with the video interview. As someone that struggled with Casper I thought this was A LOT more fun and really lets your personality shine! Don’t overthink it y’all!!
Thank you!! Do you suggest preparing before doing it?

Practice talking to the webcam and keeping eye contact. The questions themselves are not difficult and are questions about you. So know yourself, and you'll be good!
Thank you so much, such a relief to hear this

Hey y'all, I had a question about one of the secondary prompts.

"How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment."

I have an experience that I can talk about well, but it involves my research experiences in a wet lab. Would this be considered an academic environment?

Hey y'all, I had a question about one of the secondary prompts.

"How do you define curiosity? Provide an example in which curiosity helped solve or expand your knowledge and experience outside of the academic environment."

I have an experience that I can talk about well, but it involves my research experiences in a wet lab. Would this be considered an academic environment?
Short answer: yes. Longer answer: depends on what you became curious about, but it is an academic environment.

I am currently in Peru and have super bad internet connection, so I have to use a hotspot. I tried to start the one-way interview using this hotspot. However, I was still struggling with connectivity issues and I was not able to upload my video and my interview kept cutting off with an error message that stated I lost connectivity. I was able to get into a secure location today, and my interview platform is currently saying I did question 1. However, I was not able to upload it and was not able to complete the first question when I first tried it. I am going to reach out to the support team, but I'm worried I screwed my chances.

• Care
I am currently in Peru and have super bad internet connection, so I have to use a hotspot. I tried to start the one-way interview using this hotspot. However, I was still struggling with connectivity issues and I was not able to upload my video and my interview kept cutting off with an error message that stated I lost connectivity. I was able to get into a secure location today, and my interview platform is currently saying I did question 1. However, I was not able to upload it and was not able to complete the first question when I first tried it. I am going to reach out to the support team, but I'm worried I screwed my chances.
That’s so stressful I’m sorry :( let us know what they respond with.

• Care
That’s so stressful I’m sorry :( let us know what they respond with.
They were able to restart it for me, very relieved! I just finished, felt like I did just okay. Interviews are usually my strength but one-way interviews are just always a bit awkward. It will be interesting to know how much weight they put into these because it totals about 10 (4 x 2.5) minutes of listening for each secondary application.

They were able to restart it for me, very relieved! I just finished, felt like I did just okay. Interviews are usually my strength but one-way interviews are just always a bit awkward. It will be interesting to know how much weight they put into these because it totals about 10 (4 x 2.5) minutes of listening for each secondary application.
Secondary essays are one-way written interviews. Everything will be balanced as the evaluators see fit (according to their own policies).

For others in this situation ask the schools if you can postpone the video interview until you are back in the USA. It will be fine.
@harry_potter138 magic did not save you, you lucked out, but you would have been better off postponing

• Haha
For others in this situation ask the schools if you can postpone the video interview until you are back in the USA. It will be fine.
@harry_potter138 magic did not save you, you lucked out, but you would have been better off postponing
Yes, I totally would have done this! But I am in Peru for until the end of July and figured I needed to do it before then.