This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sp45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To increase your chances of an interview, recommend adding the HBCU"s:

Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA/Charles Drew

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest ALL MI schools, OH State, IU, U Toledo. Forget Brown, they love their own.

Despite my very low MCAT, my current school list is:
WMU
Oakland
Wayne state
Michiganstate
UMich
Howard
Hofstra
Georgetown
Univ. of Cincinnati
Loyola
Emory
Dartmouth
Brown
JHU
Harvard

What are my chances? And should I included any other schools to increase my chances?

Reactions: 1 user
But how do you have a perfect gpa and a completely average MCAT to begin with? Did you not retain anything - you say you're a bad standardized test taker, but dang, something is fishy. Regardless, that's what is is. Unless you have money to spend, remove Harvard, JHU, Brown, Emory, and add the other schools above. Or just donate the $100 Harvard secondary fee + others to charity for better use.

Reactions: 1 user
African female
MI Resident
4.0 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 500 MCAT (only taken once)

Very upset about the low mcat score. I have always been a bad standardized test taker, but I also didn't do much studying (only about a month). Thought about retaking but currently in a research program, so won't have time to study to do considerably better

Extracurricular activities:
  • Research: Three summer research programs (after Freshman year, Sophomore year, and currently participating in one); co author on paper submitted for review; several poster presentations
  • Leadership: founder and president of two organizations (one of the organization is geared toward promoting diversity in premed students); undergraduate representative on a selection committee; SNMA fellow
  • Physician Shadowing: 4 doctors ( over 100 hours)
  • Tutor/ teaching: Lab teaching assistant (over 500 hours); Science tutor (50 hours)
  • Volunteering: Unique volunteer position at local medical school (over 100 hours); Volunteer with local service organization( over 100 hours)
  • Awards: Travel grant; two research scholarship awards
I am applying only MD; App already submitted.

Despite my very low MCAT, my current school list is:
WMU
Oakland
Wayne state
Michiganstate
UMich
Howard
Hofstra
Georgetown
Univ. of Cincinnati
Loyola
Emory
Dartmouth
Brown
JHU
Harvard

What are my chances? And should I included any other schools to increase my chances?

Dump the ivies. You don't have the MCAT for them. It's hard to hear, but you can look up their MSAR stats of matriculants. The worst of the worst MCAT scores are 30+ (510+) at any of the top 10 schools.

Spend your money on schools you can get into! As Goro said, focus on MI!

I have always been a bad standardized test taker, but I also didn't do much studying (only about a month).

:confused:

I know you've already submitted, but retaking the MCAT and showing considerable improvement could work wonders for you (especially with your EC's and GPA) if you want to shoot for top schools.

what makes you think you will get into JHU

The rigor of your undergrad courses seems to be questionable with your MCAT score. You can work the system for a high GPA but you can't really get lucky and get a high MCAT. Unless you went to a super tiny college where only long answer questions are given on every exam, your GPA should already be indicative that you are indeed a good standardized test taker; unless the rigor of those tests was simply sub par, at which point the high GPA can be discounted.

As others have said 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA is an incredible feat (mere mortals get an A- somewhere...) and coupled with a 500 MCAT is ringing alarm bells and tripping red flags everywhere. At my undergrad institution you had to be in the top 10% of all the premed classes if you wanted a solid A from the competitive grading curve. It just doesn't add up. You're probably going to be questioned a lot about this in interviews.

Since you only studied for one month I think you're truly capable of easily hitting 510+ though if you had the typical 3-4 months of studying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users