This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AhdijDO

New Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I couldn't find a recent post on how to gauge COMLEX scores for Pediatrics. I scored a dismal 470 because of an unfortunate situation. My practices were >500. I know I'll do better on COMLEX 2. What do you think my chances are for ACGME Peds residencies? I am hoping to do a neonatology fellowship afterwards so I would like to be at a residency with a Level 2 NICU if possible (definitely not top tiers, I know that is unrealistic for me at this point). Could someone suggest a few programs I should look into perhaps? Want to stay in the Midwest (IL, IN, WI or MI ideally).

To give you an idea of my application:
1 publication, 1 presentation, highly involved on campus, relatively strong recommendation letters (one from a big name in Peds), 3rd-4th quintile in class rank, high pass-honors in rotations and >100 in COMATs. Non tradiational student.

Thanks!
 
Hi I couldn't find a recent post on how to gauge COMLEX scores for Pediatrics. I scored a dismal 470 because of an unfortunate situation. My practices were >500. I know I'll do better on COMLEX 2. What do you think my chances are for ACGME Peds residencies? I am hoping to do a neonatology fellowship afterwards so I would like to be at a residency with a Level 2 NICU if possible (definitely not top tiers, I know that is unrealistic for me at this point). Could someone suggest a few programs I should look into perhaps? Want to stay in the Midwest (IL, IN, WI or MI ideally).

To give you an idea of my application:
1 publication, 1 presentation, highly involved on campus, relatively strong recommendation letters (one from a big name in Peds), 3rd-4th quintile in class rank, high pass-honors in rotations and >100 in COMATs. Non tradiational student.

Thanks!

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf

This data (there's a thread about it right now) indicates that you have between a 70% and 80% chance of matching. That's based on only one data point (your COMLEX I score), but it's the most important data point none the less.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you'll get there. My theory is that by time odds get to 70-80% it has more to do with applicants selectivity in applying, devotion to peds, and personality than chance. I'd assume if you do good on all 3 fronts you are near 100%. Just my theory though. I have not went through the match yet.
 
Last edited:
Hi I couldn't find a recent post on how to gauge COMLEX scores for Pediatrics. I scored a dismal 470 because of an unfortunate situation. My practices were >500. I know I'll do better on COMLEX 2. What do you think my chances are for ACGME Peds residencies? I am hoping to do a neonatology fellowship afterwards so I would like to be at a residency with a Level 2 NICU if possible (definitely not top tiers, I know that is unrealistic for me at this point). Could someone suggest a few programs I should look into perhaps? Want to stay in the Midwest (IL, IN, WI or MI ideally).

To give you an idea of my application:
1 publication, 1 presentation, highly involved on campus, relatively strong recommendation letters (one from a big name in Peds), 3rd-4th quintile in class rank, high pass-honors in rotations and >100 in COMATs. Non tradiational student.

Thanks!


100%. Peds is not competative.

Everyone freaks about their scores. By definition, HALF of everyone will be below the median score, which is like 500-510 or something.

I'm not saying that they are completely unimportant, it's just that the percentage of weight that medical students seem to place on their scores is much higher to what most PDs feel they are worth.