Accepted to UNECOM, interview invite to TOURO Harlem, want to end up in NYC...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflicted124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I got into UNECOM and have already paid my first deposit fee. I loved UNECOM but my one concern was that I want to end up practicing medicine in NY/NJ and live in the city. I just got an interview invite to Touro Harlem campus. Should I attend the interview because I will have a better chance of ending up in NY if I go to medical school at at Touro Harlem? I know all the bad things about Touro and I work at a hospital with a lot of 3rd years from both campuses; one of the third years from Touro Harlem even told me to not go there. Should I even attend the interview? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would attend the interview to see the program for yourself; you might be surprised. As you say it's certainly more probable to end up in NY/NJ if you go to school there. UNECOM is a great program, however, but residency programs sure do prioritize people with strong geographic ties (including medical school location).

Weigh out the pros and cons! Write down your + & -'s for both schools and see which one has more things you would want out of a medical school. I am in no way qualified to dispute one institution over the other but just from reading here on SDN, I would assume most people will say go to UNECOM.

I interviewed at UNECOM and felt that the current student consensus was ----> great school. I don't really know anything about Touro other than the not-so-good things I read here on SDN. IMHO, the current student opinion on an institution is a big deal as usually it is relatively well-correlated to the quality of the school. Based on that, my guess is UNECOM is the way to go!

Whatever you decide, Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! For residency I do currently live in NY so I feel like that would help me for matching and we can rotate in NY/NJ at UNECOM too. Also by the time I interview at Touro I would have had to pay my full deposit for UNECOM. So in my head it’s as if this interview is worth $2000...

Thanks! For residency I do currently live in NY so I feel like that would help me for matching and we can rotate in NY/NJ at UNECOM too. Also by the time I interview at Touro I would have had to pay my full deposit for UNECOM. So in my head it’s as if this interview is worth $2000...
You sound pretty sold on UNE. As long as you can really sell your connections to NY in your future residency application you should be just fine.

Hey guys I got into UNECOM and have already paid my first deposit fee. I loved UNECOM but my one concern was that I want to end up practicing medicine in NY/NJ and live in the city. I just got an interview invite to Touro Harlem campus. Should I attend the interview because I will have a better chance of ending up in NY if I go to medical school at at Touro Harlem? I know all the bad things about Touro and I work at a hospital with a lot of 3rd years from both campuses; one of the third years from Touro Harlem even told me to not go there. Should I even attend the interview? Thanks!
Your chances of getting a residency in NYC will be less if you fail COMLEX II, which is an issue I have with Touro-NY. Hence, I can't recommend going there. Do well at UNECOM and you should be able to do what you want.

Paging @Mad Jack !

Reactions: 1 user
Your board scores and specialty choice are going to be greater factors in regard to whether you end up in NYC than the school you attend. I shied away from my Touro-Harlem acceptance many years ago in favor of UNE and given the direction the Harlem campus has taken, I have zero regrets in regard to that decision. During fourth year, make sure to rotate at some NYC spots to pick up those LORs.

Reactions: 2 users
Your board scores and specialty choice are going to be greater factors in regard to whether you end up in NYC than the school you attend. I shied away from my Touro-Harlem acceptance many years ago in favor of UNE and given the direction the Harlem campus has taken, I have zero regrets in regard to that decision. During fourth year, make sure to rotate at some NYC spots to pick up those LORs.
Thank you! Can I ask you any cons about your experience at UNECOM?

Did you end up attending the Harlem interview??