ACOM and LUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radrandos5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to receive interview invitations to both LUCOM and ACOM, and would love to hear some input about each. I know that they are both new schools, so I am particularly interested in the opinions of those who have seen these schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you religious? Does attending a school that wants you to be Christian appeal to you? If not, or if you are against it, don't go to Liberty.

Both are newish. ACOM has already had its first class, so they are a tiny bit more experienced. They also already have functioning rotation sites and is (as of now), the only DO school in Alabama. Both are rural.

I would pick ACOM, but that's because I don't like any school saying what religion you have to be (versus Marian, who is Catholic, but doesn't care if you are).

Reactions: 1 user
I've said it once and I'll say it again.. Any medical school in the U.S. > Lucom

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you religious? Does attending a school that wants you to be Christian appeal to you? If not, or if you are against it, don't go to Liberty.

Both are newish. ACOM has already had its first class, so they are a tiny bit more experienced. They also already have functioning rotation sites and is (as of now), the only DO school in Alabama. Both are rural.

I would pick ACOM, but that's because I don't like any school saying what religion you have to be (versus Marian, who is Catholic, but doesn't care if you are).

Humm, LUCOM already accepted Hindu, Muslims, Christians, and Atheists (among their 47 acceptances sent as of November 11th, 2013). Sounds a lot like Marian, based on your description.

ACOM>>>>>LUCOM . Established rotations, administration is open to change and student opinion, when it comes to DO schools years 1,2 are pretty standardized, where the difference is made in the rotations. LMU-DCOM has great COMPLEX pass rate ACOM and LMU DCOM have very similar curriculum and leadership.

Note difference: I said LMU DCOM and not LUCOM in the last comparisons.

Humm, LUCOM already accepted Hindu, Muslims, Christians, and Atheists (among their 47 acceptances sent as of November 11th, 2013). Sounds a lot like Marian, based on your description.

So you're on the ADCOM? You made it really obvious there.

So you're on the ADCOM? You made it really obvious there.
No, Mr. Cook from LUCOM's adcom told all of us there this data. Based on what the comments here were, it sounds a lot like Mariam. Is it really? Only time will tell, but it seems kind of petty to assume a school will force you to be a certain religion especially before one interviews/attends there.

Thanks for the replies. From what I can tell, LUCOM doesn't require you to be a certain religion -- I believe LA1004 is absolutely correct there. In terms of rotations, it seems like a similar situation to ACOM -- according to their website, they have already partnered with various hospitals.

ACOM>>>>>LUCOM . Established rotations, administration is open to change and student opinion, when it comes to DO schools years 1,2 are pretty standardized, where the difference is made in the rotations. LMU-DCOM has great COMPLEX pass rate ACOM and LMU DCOM have very similar curriculum and leadership.

Note difference: I said LMU DCOM and not LUCOM in the last comparisons.

When you take your COMPLEX, please let me know how it turns out. Meanwhile, I will be taking the COMLEX, an exam that actually exists.

I find it curious how some people with the strongest opinions expose themselves to be rather hazy on the details at times...

Thanks for the replies. From what I can tell, LUCOM doesn't require you to be a certain religion -- I believe LA1004 is absolutely correct there. In terms of rotations, it seems like a similar situation to ACOM -- according to their website, they have already partnered with various hospitals.

Are they established sites? ACOM has been using the sites for a different program they had in tact, so that's what I mean by established, not just set up.
You are right that no school could REQUIRE you to be a certain religion, but I would do some research regarding the mission they are trying to portray and the message that Liberty University as a whole projects. Like I said, if you have no problem with that, then go for it. As far as smaller details, only you can decide what you like better.

When you take your COMPLEX, please let me know how it turns out. Meanwhile, I will be taking the COMLEX, an exam that actually exists.

I find it curious how some people with the strongest opinions expose themselves to be rather hazy on the details at times...

I'm aware that the test is called the COMLEX, a simple typo doesn't invalidate anything I said. At this point, any school in America > LUCOM.

Are they established sites? ACOM has been using the sites for a different program they had in tact, so that's what I mean by established, not just set up.
You are right that no school could REQUIRE you to be a certain religion, but I would do some research regarding the mission they are trying to portray and the message that Liberty University as a whole projects. Like I said, if you have no problem with that, then go for it. As far as smaller details, only you can decide what you like better.
I was interviewed there two weeks ago. As a non-Evangelical Christian I appreciated the respect they had for my religious beliefs and how open they were on their own Christian beliefs. I felt very good there and the residents/faculty gave out a very positive vibe. They said repeatedly how "Liberty will remain Liberty (aka, the Christian culture), but they are selecting candidates who demonstrate the Christian principle of service, selflessness, etc". That doesn't sound too different from other schools. If you are, however, bothered by people wishing you "merry Christmas" or "happy Easter" then you should look to apply elsewhere.

I'm aware that the test is called the COMLEX, a simple typo doesn't invalidate anything I said. At this point, any school in America > LUCOM.

Sure... At any rate, it's not like I'm some huge LUCOM apologist or anything, but such strong opinions are usually wrong.

Are there other, more established schools that may be better in many respects, because they've had time to get their feet beneath them? Sure. Does that warrant your personal vendetta against the school? Not unless you simply don't have anything better to do with your time than troll boards letting your opinion be known about schools you apparently have no interest in.

Let it go man. It is not good for you to carry this kind of baggage, and the high road is to allow people to form their own opinion, particularly when yours is so biased.

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to go ahead and call your last statement 'BS'.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.. Any medical school in the U.S. > Lucom
I have been accepted to LMU-DCOM and LUCOM.... I am not sure which school to pick??? Can you give your opinions on both schools? I am really torn...

I have been accepted to LMU-DCOM and LUCOM.... I am not sure which school to pick??? Can you give your opinions on both schools? I am really torn...

Take the school in Harrogate

I think you should consider what will give you the best result and comfortable living. You will be there for 4 years. Me personally, that that is LUCOM. Look at the rotations and affiliations both offer, look at the faculty and staff associated, and just sit down and try to visualize where you see yourself living and schooling. Congrats, and if you choose LUCOM... I'll see you there.

I am going to go ahead and call your last statement 'BS'.
It is true. No other school is young earth creationist where anything taught in the curriculum should be double checked. I can't believe people with other options might pick such a trash hole.

It is true. No other school is young earth creationist where anything taught in the curriculum should be double checked. I can't believe people with other options might pick such a trash hole.

From what I read on a webiste/article their biology department teaches both creationism as well as evolution. They leave it up to the student what to believe. Personally, I see it as just another religious school. I don't have to believe what they think about creationism. I don't have to in order to attend. Just as our first class is made up of multiple faiths and beliefs (or lack of), no one has to adhere to the belief of creationism. I really don't see the importance of the topic in regards to medicine... Are you going to think that a Muslim medical school is inferior to due to nature of how they perceive women or because they have to pray 5x a day and that will interfere with large patient volumes? Or an Orthodox Jewish school inferior because Friday night- Sunday they aren't able to turn on lights to read the latest literature or drive a car to get to the hospital?
I chose LUCOM b/c I was impressed with faculty, area, and opportunities. It is a good fit for me. I think they will give me the chance to succeed. A gut feeling, really. They put a lot of time, money, thought, and resources into this.

From what I read on a webiste/article their biology department teaches both creationism as well as evolution. They leave it up to the student what to believe. Personally, I see it as just another religious school. I don't have to believe what they think about creationism. I don't have to in order to attend. Just as our first class is made up of multiple faiths and beliefs (or lack of), no one has to adhere to the belief of creationism. I really don't see the importance of the topic in regards to medicine... Are you going to think that a Muslim medical school is inferior to due to nature of how they perceive women or because they have to pray 5x a day and that will interfere with large patient volumes? Or an Orthodox Jewish school inferior because Friday night- Sunday they aren't able to turn on lights to read the latest literature or drive a car to get to the hospital?
I chose LUCOM b/c I was impressed with faculty, area, and opportunities. It is a good fit for me. I think they will give me the chance to succeed. A gut feeling, really. They put a lot of time, money, thought, and resources into this.
Religion is not a problem. Fantasy being taught as science is.

Again, when a school is that dumb, you don't know what to expect. Wouldn't be surprised if they teach a woman's body shuts down during a rape to avoid pregnancy.

Well creationism is a religious belief. It is one very small group of christian people who believe this. Creationism is based off the Bible and it's "timelines." It is really not scientific in nature.
I think that the accrediting bodies will make sure they don't teach us about, "a woman's body shuts down during rape to avoid pregnancy." That just seams a little ignorant. Well, if you want to compare notes on this later, I'm more than accessible.

Well creationism is a religious belief. It is one very small group of christian people who believe this. Creationism is based off the Bible and it's "timelines." It is really not scientific in nature.
I think that the accrediting bodies will make sure they don't teach us about, "a woman's body shuts down during rape to avoid pregnancy." That just seams a little ignorant. Well, if you want to compare notes on this later, I'm more than accessible.
I honestly think we should compare notes, and I don't think I'm too far fetched when reality is that the religious right made those kinds of statements on national TV. And as you may know, LU is very much in bed with the republican party.