FutureDoctor5000

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2018
Status
Medical Student
The best way for us to force the NBOME to cancel the COMLEX PE is if a bunch of us email Mayor Lori Lightfood (of Chicago) as well as Illinois State Representatives that cover the Chicago area. We need to let them know that what the NBOME is doing goes directly against the advice of the CDC and WHO (on travel restrictions, social distancing, etc) and a direct consequence of that could possibly brining hundreds to thousands of COVID 19 cases into Chicago.
While this is a very valid point, thousands of people are prbly flying to Chicago from all over the country everyday, unless the city bans travel or requires a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all travelers the mayor can have very little say in this unfortunately, it’s all on the nbome and the individual schools and what they decide to do.

Reactions: sunshinefl

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
While this is a very valid point, thousands of people are prbly flying to Chicago from all over the country everyday, unless the city bans travel or requires a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all travelers the mayor can have very little say in this unfortunately, it’s all on the nbome and the individual schools and what they decide to do.
I disagree. A mayor can influence this. The NBOME is trying to be sneaky and doing all these "measures" to try and claim they are making it as "safe" as possible at the testing center, but the testing center was never really the main issue (part of it yes). It's the flying, the Uber, the hotel stay, etc, that make it so entirely non-sensical to continue to ram this test through.

There already are states out there that are mandating 2 week quarantines for ANYONE who comes to the state from another state. If the numbers keep going as they are, and are predicted to through the fall, then these measures will only increase in number.

Imagine if a SINGLE student goes and takes PE, interacts with all those people, and then goes home and tests positive. Everyone they interacted with gets put on two week quarantine. That has already happened here with some residents that were at an orientation. This is what blows my mind, that if a single positive person goes through the testing centers it could completely shut them down for at least a few days, and yet the NBOME is so insistent they will keep delivering the test. This isn't even getting into the fact that heaven forbid someone test positive, get hospitalized, and then through contact tracing it's discovered they contracted the virus while on their PE trip. That would be a lawyers dream.

About the Ads

getfat

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
NBOME will be hosting a team of public health officials from Johns Hopkins University on July 11.
I'm hopeful these officials will stress the concern over traveling to these sites.

Reactions: TXKnight

getfat

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
doubt it. It’s all about $$$$.I’m sure they already hand selected who they bring in. Just like that one “4th year” student
Doesn't hurt to be an optimist :). No student in their right mind would give real feedback about this. A public health official could give more realistic feedback.

But i'm one of those people that believe Gimple and NBOME are just ignorant instead of willfully predatory. They think they knows whats best compared to everyone else. And as elected leadership its understandable that some people have that mindset.

Even in the webinars, his biggest concern is licensure. I think he's one of those people that truly believes some state boards won't license DO students w/o a complete series. Every DO student doesn't take Step exams.

Is the NBOME going to admit they are wrong when all of this is over? HELL NO. But i'm hopeful when enough experts give them feedback regarding the idea of this exam during a pandemic is not in the best interest of the students.

Aug 10, 2019
Status
Podiatry Student
Doesn't hurt to be an optimist :). No student in their right mind would give real feedback about this. A public health official could give more realistic feedback.

But i'm one of those people that believe Gimple and NBOME are just ignorant instead of willfully predatory. They think they knows whats best compared to everyone else. And as elected leadership its understandable that some people have that mindset.

Even in the webinars, his biggest concern is licensure. I think he's one of those people that truly believes some state boards won't license DO students w/o a complete series. Every DO student doesn't take Step exams.

Is the NBOME going to admit they are wrong when all of this is over? HELL NO. But i'm hopeful when enough experts give them feedback regarding the idea of this exam during a pandemic is not in the best interest of the students.
you’re way more forgiving than me. They seem 100% predatory.

DrRedstone

MS-4
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
KCU - Joplin
Status
Medical Student
There's also the little fact that we will be returning to hospitals with active COVID cases for rotations soon, putting us at an increased risk of spreading it.

MeriCheri

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Not me.... hence why the name on it is “Bat Man”
This isn't meant to come off as harsh but everyone on reddit/here has a point. The body of your petition was unprofessional. You yourself didn't sign your own name. How can you expect others to? No petition with signatures made entirely of made-up names would gain traction, either.

Apr 29, 2020
Status
Medical Student
Hey all! a couple of hours ago I started a petition calling on Dr Gimpel to resign. I got criticized a bit on reddit for being too “unprofessional” in the description of the petition but in all honesty everything I said is the truth and I genuinely wholeheartedly believe that Dr Gimpel has to go because of how poorly he has handled this Covid 19 situation.... so please consider signing and spreading the word

No offense but you may have greater chance of winning lottery than Dr. Gimpel will resign himself or will get fire because of medical students' stand alone.

Chill down and take one step at a time lol...You are trying to run before you learn how to walk...and get back fire.

About the Ads

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
In the last few days I've seen a spike of students AND attendings, DO and MD alike, getting their point across and supporting our case on Twitter and other social media. Lets continue to amplify the message in addition to any other actions.

Edit: A considerable spike at that

Jun 22, 2020
Status
Medical Student
FWIW, I don’t think this worked. But we haven’t explicitly heard back yet. I don’t think they really care about us or our safety. It really is a sad situation all around.

It’s better than doing nothing. The way I see it is that at least if a lot of people raise hell about this issue and the NBOME still refuses to budge then if it causes an outbreak and some medical students gets sick (God forbid) there is no way that wouldn’t end up in the news. With so many people raising this concern and them completely disregarding the health and safety of the Med students... that would cause public outrage and the media/public would have Gimpel’s and the entire NBOME leaderships heads (figuratively speaking, obviously).

You shall know the Truth

2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I think the nbome is really praying hard that this vaccine that dr fauci keeps talking about really comes to fruition by the end of the year hahah.. but despite all these projections sadly no one seems to care anymore, just step out and you barely see anyone social distancing or wearing masks... it will sadly only be a ticker at the bottom of the news.. but the nbome looks like fools right now
What’s that like a 7 mill vaccine to nbome?

About the Ads

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student

I didn't realize SOMA had the power to do this...
It’s a student resolution. Meaning it’s just saying that the official stance of the students is a unified licensing exam. It’s going to take quite a bit of fighting to get the NBOME to actually disappear.

I’m sure the NBME and FSMB are more than willing.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Just wait until the death curve swings the other way and starts to slowly trend the opposite direction. Perhaps then someone at the NBOME will think to themselves, "maybe we are actually wrong here..."

but maybe I'm just dreaming.

About the Ads

call1800doctorb

The “B” is for bargain!
Feb 20, 2019
Just wait until the death curve swings the other way and starts to slowly trend the opposite direction. Perhaps then someone at the NBOME will think to themselves, "maybe we are actually wrong here..."

but maybe I'm just dreaming.
They can’t be trusted to do the right thing given their track record so far on this issue. People have to keep the pressure on.

Jun 22, 2020
Status
Medical Student
I would be kind of surprised if they are able to open up Sept. 1 with how COVID 19 cases are going.... they have to be smart enough to realize how horrible it would look for them if they cause an outbreak or if a student died because they forced the PE. With how infectious COVID 19 is, how long of an asymptomatic period there is, and just the sheer numbers of cases, I can’t see thousand of people traveling to two cities NOT causing an outbreak... there will be at least one person who has COVID 19 that travels. If that happened then the media would get ahold of it and I just can’t see anyway the NBOME current leadership would survive that. I think what it comes down too is that Gimpel views the PE as his baby and he is obsessed with making sure it happens.. how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to say that an exam that you came up with is the “most important” board exam there is? And how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to go against the advice of the CDC, WHO and a bunch of other public health organizations, and out thousands of students at risk because you can’t admit your wrong and cancel the exam? The arrogance of the NBOME and Gimpel is what really infuriates me more than anything else.... If the PE doesn’t get cancelled and I end up getting COVID 19 because I traveled, I’m going to tell my loved ones that if I don’t make it they need to sue the Christ out of the NBOME

call1800doctorb

The “B” is for bargain!
Feb 20, 2019
I would be kind of surprised if they are able to open up Sept. 1 with how COVID 19 cases are going.... they have to be smart enough to realize how horrible it would look for them if they cause an outbreak or if a student died because they forced the PE. With how infectious COVID 19 is, how long of an asymptomatic period there is, and just the sheer numbers of cases, I can’t see thousand of people traveling to two cities NOT causing an outbreak... there will be at least one person who has COVID 19 that travels. If that happened then the media would get ahold of it and I just can’t see anyway the NBOME current leadership would survive that. I think what it comes down too is that Gimpel views the PE as his baby and he is obsessed with making sure it happens.. how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to say that an exam that you came up with is the “most important” board exam there is? And how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to go against the advice of the CDC, WHO and a bunch of other public health organizations, and out thousands of students at risk because you can’t admit your wrong and cancel the exam? The arrogance of the NBOME and Gimpel is what really infuriates me more than anything else.... If the PE doesn’t get cancelled and I end up getting COVID 19 because I traveled, I’m going to tell my loved ones that if I don’t make it they need to sue the Christ out of the NBOME
If anyone gets COVID because of this they must sue. I know I will.

12jas

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Has anyone had any response from emailing local leaders? Where is COSGP with their survey results? Why are they not advocating for us? Why is SOMA silent. I am so tired of feeling like we are alone in this fight. I know we have some physician advocates but we need statements from our leading bodies. It is clear the NBOME will not see the voice of reason. They need to be strong armed into making the right choice and that will never happen with just the voice of individual students.

cbc86

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2016
Has anyone had any response from emailing local leaders? Where is COSGP with their survey results? Why are they not advocating for us? Why is SOMA silent. I am so tired of feeling like we are alone in this fight. I know we have some physician advocates but we need statements from our leading bodies. It is clear the NBOME will not see the voice of reason. They need to be strong armed into making the right choice and that will never happen with just the voice of individual students.
The response from people like COSGP and SOMA will be "wE aRe DoInG ThInGs BeHiNd the ScEne!" But the reality is they are not going to be able to help us on this. You are definitely not alone but you have to realize that a vast majority of DO students are straight up terrified to ever speak up about this matter because of possible consequences. The NBOME could just fail them on PE or some **** in retribution. That may seem extreme, but who knows? I have heard stories of Gimpel sending out hateful emails to students personallly after they reached out to the NBOME expressing their concerns. If you have not already, contact your class president, your SGA president, your deans - whoever seems like an ally to students - and express your concerns and ask them to take action. If you have a social media account and are willing, spread awareness of this problem. Create an anonymous social media account if you feel more comfortable doing so. At the very least, nothing will change but at least you will be able to say that you tried.

Jun 22, 2020
Status
Medical Student
The response from people like COSGP and SOMA will be "wE aRe DoInG ThInGs BeHiNd the ScEne!" But the reality is they are not going to be able to help us on this. You are definitely not alone but you have to realize that a vast majority of DO students are straight up terrified to ever speak up about this matter because of possible consequences. The NBOME could just fail them on PE or some **** in retribution. That may seem extreme, but who knows? I have heard stories of Gimpel sending out hateful emails to students personallly after they reached out to the NBOME expressing their concerns. If you have not already, contact your class president, your SGA president, your deans - whoever seems like an ally to students - and express your concerns and ask them to take action. If you have a social media account and are willing, spread awareness of this problem. Create an anonymous social media account if you feel more comfortable doing so. At the very least, nothing will change but at least you will be able to say that you tried.

So what I was told from someone who has intimate knowledge of COSGP is that they tried to contact the NBOME and Gimpel about the survey results and they literally got ghosted by them.... no response at all.

12jas

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2018
Status
Medical Student
So what I was told from someone who has intimate knowledge of COSGP is that they tried to contact the NBOME and Gimpel about the survey results and they literally got ghosted by them.... no response at all.
Then they need to blast them on social media. Imagine the response we would get if they showed that the NBOME is refusing to even acknowledge our student leadership. Their silence is extremely damaging to our cause. They need to act on the survey data ideally it would be hand and hand with the NBOME but they have shown thats not possible. It's time for them come out with a statement without the support of the NBOME and in support of the students they claim to represent.

whooooopwhoop

7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2011
California
Status
Medical Student
The NBME realized they could not feasibly test all MD students with the massive backlog. That’s why the considered the online delivery before cancelling outright.
However, with the smaller number of DO students, NBOME can administer the PE to all students even if cancellations extend until November. This information is from Gimple himself

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
The NBME realized they could not feasibly test all MD students with the massive backlog. That’s why the considered the online delivery before cancelling outright.
However, with the smaller number of DO students, NBOME can administer the PE to all students even if cancellations extend until November. This information is from Gimple himself
There are less testing sites for DOs. And there is a massive backlog. And NBOME has already said with starting back on sept 1 they are “hoping” to get “most” of class of 2021 done through May 2021.

cbc86

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2016
This is irrelevant.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Gimpel is not a trustworthy source. He is wrong. Unless he has a third testing site he isn’t telling us about, he is also lying. After this last round of cancellations 20% of my class still hasn’t rescheduled their test. If this trend is similar across all schools then the NBOME is completely out of spots already without it showing up on the scheduler.
And yet, when asked directly in a webinar with SOMA “why did you cancel CS?” The answer was, “safety of our students and staff.”

Not one word about testing volume.

Gimpel is not to be trusted or believed. He is the creator of PE his salary is paid by it being delivered.

Apr 8, 2020
Status
Medical Student

"What is the consensus of taking the PE earlier if you have a choice?"
"Take it. I was one of the ones who had a July date thrown to the breeze by A.T. Gimpel and couldn't get a spot until AFTER match day 2021. I contacted a few PD's about it and most of them said they still plan to follow their policy of only ranking applicants with passing scores on Level 2 PE. They all acknowledged that the situation sucked, but most said they planned to go through complete applications first, and then look at the ones without a Level 2 if they felt they needed to increase their pool."

• Wow
Reactions: sunshinefl

cbc86

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2016

"What is the consensus of taking the PE earlier if you have a choice?"
"Take it. I was one of the ones who had a July date thrown to the breeze by A.T. Gimpel and couldn't get a spot until AFTER match day 2021. I contacted a few PD's about it and most of them said they still plan to follow their policy of only ranking applicants with passing scores on Level 2 PE. They all acknowledged that the situation sucked, but most said they planned to go through complete applications first, and then look at the ones without a Level 2 if they felt they needed to increase their pool."
Although anecdotal and likely untrue, this is why we must fight for suspension of the test.

About the Ads