Addressing PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wait until the death curve swings the other way and starts to slowly trend the opposite direction. Perhaps then someone at the NBOME will think to themselves, "maybe we are actually wrong here..."

but maybe I'm just dreaming.
They can’t be trusted to do the right thing given their track record so far on this issue. People have to keep the pressure on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I would be kind of surprised if they are able to open up Sept. 1 with how COVID 19 cases are going.... they have to be smart enough to realize how horrible it would look for them if they cause an outbreak or if a student died because they forced the PE. With how infectious COVID 19 is, how long of an asymptomatic period there is, and just the sheer numbers of cases, I can’t see thousand of people traveling to two cities NOT causing an outbreak... there will be at least one person who has COVID 19 that travels. If that happened then the media would get ahold of it and I just can’t see anyway the NBOME current leadership would survive that. I think what it comes down too is that Gimpel views the PE as his baby and he is obsessed with making sure it happens.. how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to say that an exam that you came up with is the “most important” board exam there is? And how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to go against the advice of the CDC, WHO and a bunch of other public health organizations, and out thousands of students at risk because you can’t admit your wrong and cancel the exam? The arrogance of the NBOME and Gimpel is what really infuriates me more than anything else.... If the PE doesn’t get cancelled and I end up getting COVID 19 because I traveled, I’m going to tell my loved ones that if I don’t make it they need to sue the Christ out of the NBOME

Reactions: 1 users
I would be kind of surprised if they are able to open up Sept. 1 with how COVID 19 cases are going.... they have to be smart enough to realize how horrible it would look for them if they cause an outbreak or if a student died because they forced the PE. With how infectious COVID 19 is, how long of an asymptomatic period there is, and just the sheer numbers of cases, I can’t see thousand of people traveling to two cities NOT causing an outbreak... there will be at least one person who has COVID 19 that travels. If that happened then the media would get ahold of it and I just can’t see anyway the NBOME current leadership would survive that. I think what it comes down too is that Gimpel views the PE as his baby and he is obsessed with making sure it happens.. how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to say that an exam that you came up with is the “most important” board exam there is? And how ****ing arrogant do you have to be to go against the advice of the CDC, WHO and a bunch of other public health organizations, and out thousands of students at risk because you can’t admit your wrong and cancel the exam? The arrogance of the NBOME and Gimpel is what really infuriates me more than anything else.... If the PE doesn’t get cancelled and I end up getting COVID 19 because I traveled, I’m going to tell my loved ones that if I don’t make it they need to sue the Christ out of the NBOME
If anyone gets COVID because of this they must sue. I know I will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had any response from emailing local leaders? Where is COSGP with their survey results? Why are they not advocating for us? Why is SOMA silent. I am so tired of feeling like we are alone in this fight. I know we have some physician advocates but we need statements from our leading bodies. It is clear the NBOME will not see the voice of reason. They need to be strong armed into making the right choice and that will never happen with just the voice of individual students.

Has anyone had any response from emailing local leaders? Where is COSGP with their survey results? Why are they not advocating for us? Why is SOMA silent. I am so tired of feeling like we are alone in this fight. I know we have some physician advocates but we need statements from our leading bodies. It is clear the NBOME will not see the voice of reason. They need to be strong armed into making the right choice and that will never happen with just the voice of individual students.

The response from people like COSGP and SOMA will be "wE aRe DoInG ThInGs BeHiNd the ScEne!" But the reality is they are not going to be able to help us on this. You are definitely not alone but you have to realize that a vast majority of DO students are straight up terrified to ever speak up about this matter because of possible consequences. The NBOME could just fail them on PE or some **** in retribution. That may seem extreme, but who knows? I have heard stories of Gimpel sending out hateful emails to students personallly after they reached out to the NBOME expressing their concerns. If you have not already, contact your class president, your SGA president, your deans - whoever seems like an ally to students - and express your concerns and ask them to take action. If you have a social media account and are willing, spread awareness of this problem. Create an anonymous social media account if you feel more comfortable doing so. At the very least, nothing will change but at least you will be able to say that you tried.

Reactions: 6 users
Arizona has shut down most everything again and delayed school. But go ahead says the nbome

Reactions: 1 user
So what I was told from someone who has intimate knowledge of COSGP is that they tried to contact the NBOME and Gimpel about the survey results and they literally got ghosted by them.... no response at all.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
The response from people like COSGP and SOMA will be "wE aRe DoInG ThInGs BeHiNd the ScEne!" But the reality is they are not going to be able to help us on this. You are definitely not alone but you have to realize that a vast majority of DO students are straight up terrified to ever speak up about this matter because of possible consequences. The NBOME could just fail them on PE or some **** in retribution. That may seem extreme, but who knows? I have heard stories of Gimpel sending out hateful emails to students personallly after they reached out to the NBOME expressing their concerns. If you have not already, contact your class president, your SGA president, your deans - whoever seems like an ally to students - and express your concerns and ask them to take action. If you have a social media account and are willing, spread awareness of this problem. Create an anonymous social media account if you feel more comfortable doing so. At the very least, nothing will change but at least you will be able to say that you tried.

So what I was told from someone who has intimate knowledge of COSGP is that they tried to contact the NBOME and Gimpel about the survey results and they literally got ghosted by them.... no response at all.

Then they need to blast them on social media. Imagine the response we would get if they showed that the NBOME is refusing to even acknowledge our student leadership. Their silence is extremely damaging to our cause. They need to act on the survey data ideally it would be hand and hand with the NBOME but they have shown thats not possible. It's time for them come out with a statement without the support of the NBOME and in support of the students they claim to represent.

Reactions: 7 users
The NBME realized they could not feasibly test all MD students with the massive backlog. That’s why the considered the online delivery before cancelling outright.
However, with the smaller number of DO students, NBOME can administer the PE to all students even if cancellations extend until November. This information is from Gimple himself

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
The NBME realized they could not feasibly test all MD students with the massive backlog. That’s why the considered the online delivery before cancelling outright.
However, with the smaller number of DO students, NBOME can administer the PE to all students even if cancellations extend until November. This information is from Gimple himself
There are less testing sites for DOs. And there is a massive backlog. And NBOME has already said with starting back on sept 1 they are “hoping” to get “most” of class of 2021 done through May 2021.

Reactions: 5 users
This is irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)

Gimpel is not a trustworthy source. He is wrong. Unless he has a third testing site he isn’t telling us about, he is also lying. After this last round of cancellations 20% of my class still hasn’t rescheduled their test. If this trend is similar across all schools then the NBOME is completely out of spots already without it showing up on the scheduler.

And yet, when asked directly in a webinar with SOMA “why did you cancel CS?” The answer was, “safety of our students and staff.”

Not one word about testing volume.

Gimpel is not to be trusted or believed. He is the creator of PE his salary is paid by it being delivered.

Reactions: 8 users

"What is the consensus of taking the PE earlier if you have a choice?"
"Take it. I was one of the ones who had a July date thrown to the breeze by A.T. Gimpel and couldn't get a spot until AFTER match day 2021. I contacted a few PD's about it and most of them said they still plan to follow their policy of only ranking applicants with passing scores on Level 2 PE. They all acknowledged that the situation sucked, but most said they planned to go through complete applications first, and then look at the ones without a Level 2 if they felt they needed to increase their pool."

• Wow

"Take it. I was one of the ones who had a July date thrown to the breeze by A.T. Gimpel and couldn't get a spot until AFTER match day 2021. I contacted a few PD's about it and most of them said they still plan to follow their policy of only ranking applicants with passing scores on Level 2 PE. They all acknowledged that the situation sucked, but most said they planned to go through complete applications first, and then look at the ones without a Level 2 if they felt they needed to increase their pool."

Although anecdotal and likely untrue, this is why we must fight for suspension of the test.

People legitimately don’t feel safe to take the PE. They hold so much power over us. It’s really unfair. And sad

Gimpel is not a trustworthy source. He is wrong. Unless he has a third testing site he isn’t telling us about, he is also lying. After this last round of cancellations 20% of my class still hasn’t rescheduled their test. If this trend is similar across all schools then the NBOME is completely out of spots already without it showing up on the scheduler.

And yet, when asked directly in a webinar with SOMA “why did you cancel CS?” The answer was, “safety of our students and staff.”

Not one word about testing volume.

Gimpel is not to be trusted or believed. He is the creator of PE his salary is paid by it being delivered.
This. Some inmy class were able to reschedule, some so far are choosing not to do it and go the USMLE route, and most ( ~30% give or take) have not rescheduled/been able to

If PD's do indeed do that it will be absolutely crap. That is exactly why we need to blind PE from these guys so we don't get massively screwed. This is total BS is this is a true and becomes widespread practice

Gimple also said he “has regular meetings with the nbme” about how theyre handling the situation and yet was completely and utterly unaware that CS isnt be required for licensure for the class of 2021. Like he genuinely did not believe the chat in the webinar when faced with this evidence.

The nbome has also claimed that the PE is a requirement for licensure in all 50 states, which is not true. Most states did not change or edit licensure reqs when the PE/CS was invented and these tests are mostly just required because the testing companies make you pass them prior to step/level 3 which is required for licensure. The FSMB rep has confirmed this.

You should check your sources (Dr. Gimple) as they are completely untrustworthy.

Reactions: 6 users
Although anecdotal and likely untrue, this is why we must fight for suspension of the test.

Can confirm. I'm good friends with this person and they sent me a screenshot of the email they got saying this program still planned to only rank those with a PE. He said he sent it to our dean too and that the dean asked if it was okay to send to AACOM and NBOME.

Can confirm. I'm good friends with this person and they sent me a screenshot of the email they got saying this program still planned to only rank those with a PE. He said he sent it to our dean too and that the dean asked if it was okay to send to AACOM and NBOME.
Your dean sounds like a human, not a DO school dean.

It's kind of amazing actually. These DO leadership orgs are so far into their own delusion they are truly shocked when they find out stuff like this.

"oh what? Not having a PE score will significantly hurt a lot of DO applicants? THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! DO'S ARE THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER COMMODITY! pRogRaM DIrecToRs wIlL dO tHe RigHT tHinG"

The Cult of Still is far more widespread than just OMM fanatics.

Reactions: 11 users
It's kind of amazing actually. These DO leadership orgs are so far into their own delusion they are truly shocked when they find out stuff like this.

"oh what? Not having a PE score will significantly hurt a lot of DO applicants? THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! DO'S ARE THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER COMMODITY! pRogRaM DIrecToRs wIlL dO tHe RigHT tHinG"

The Cult of Still is far more widespread than just OMM fanatics.
the student posted an update - he reached out to PDs of Family Med programs.

I figured the student was applying surg or a small field that doesn't tend to take DO's. FM is literally the most lenient specialty. If FM PD's are using this rationale...yikes.

@EMTAB if you have a copy of the original letter your friend sent, please PM me. We should all be reaching out to PDs to ask about their policy regarding PE and keeping track of their responses.

Last edited:
If closures extend until December, then there's no away they can require class of 2021 to take this test.
I don't see them changing their tune of "we can administer this test safely." When I read the last announcement outlining all the measures they've taken, all I read was "we've spent even more $$$ to keep this test going."
I don't want to take this stupid test either, I'm scheduled post match and there's no availability until April right now

Anddd let’s circle back to Philadelphia:

“The city is also asking people in Philadelphia to not travel to the following the states where they are seeing rising COVID-19 numbers: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah.

People returning to Philadelphia from any of these states should self-quarantine for 14 days, Farley said.”

Farley is the city health commissioner

• Hmm
I wonder how much NBOME is paying people from Johns Hopkins to come and bless their PE setup.

money rules the world. Medicine is no exception to the corruption. Sad reality.

• Sad
I wonder how much NBOME is paying people from Johns Hopkins to come and bless their PE setup.
Not sure but based on the wording of their update i imagine itll go something like this

JH team: “your in house precautions are alright but we really think you should consider the travel and lodg...”
Nbome: “shhh no”
JH team: “but..”
Nbome: “nope not what im paying you for”

Oh, and NJ had issues the same advisory as Philly has. Easy to fly into Newark.

We need the email from the program this student reached out to.

Reactions: 2 users
“The city is also asking people in Philadelphia to not travel to the following the states where they are seeing rising COVID-19 numbers: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah.

People returning to Philadelphia from any of these states should self-quarantine for 14 days, Farley said.”

Lololololol that state list encompasses so many DO schools :rofl:

• Haha
Not sure but based on the wording of their update i imagine itll go something like this

JH team: “your in house precautions are alright but we really think you should consider the travel and lodg...”
That's exactly how I read the last update as well. It was like when a lawyer puts someone on the stand and doesn't let them elaborate or expand on their answer to make it full and informed but just gets them to say what they want to hear and then tells them to shut up in movies lol. It was really disgusting.

Reactions: 2 users

Yep they won’t even get their comment on travel or lodging. It’ll just be about the safety of the exam. Hilarious.

We should contact this commissioner and let him know about the big DO crowd coming into their city from ALL over
Anddd let’s circle back to Philadelphia:

Farley is the city health commissioner

Thomas Farley, M.D., M.P.H.
Health Commissioner
(215) 686-5200

Hit him up. Also, all this fear about PDs not considering “incomplete applications”, like what about the thousands of MD applicants without CS? Any PD who filters for PE or CS this cycle Is a psychopath. But we already knew these people would do stuff like this.

Is there any way to find out who this supposed Infectious Disease doc is who is working with the NBOME or exactly who from John Hopkins that is involved. It would draw a lot of bad press if the medical community found out you are supporting the decision for thousands of students to be travelling right now. Hey NBOME about about you apply some osteopathic principles and look at the entire situation instead of the bubble that is your testing site.

Is this a good sign?

Attachments

• 0066804A-3ADB-48C6-83E4-CF7BDBE0F8E7.png
    0066804A-3ADB-48C6-83E4-CF7BDBE0F8E7.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 138
SOMA just passed a resolution about essentially having one board exam going forward and just having DO students take an opt-in OMM section.... with that in mind I get the feeling that the DO community is ready to see the NBOME go under. If they resume testing in sept and an outbreak (or even worse a death) can be tied to resuming the COMLEX 2-PE after how much everyone complained about it and they totally didn’t listen... Gimpel and the NBOME can pack their bags because people already want to get rid of them and the public outcry would be insane. Right now really only Med students and some awesome physicians care about this issue but if it causes an outbreak or death then I guarantee the general public will care about it and ide be shocked if the NBOME still existed in 5 years after that.

SOMA just passed a resolution about essentially having one board exam going forward and just having DO students take an opt-in OMM section.... with that in mind I get the feeling that the DO community is ready to see the NBOME go under. If they resume testing in sept and an outbreak (or even worse a death) can be tied to resuming the COMLEX 2-PE after how much everyone complained about it and they totally didn’t listen... Gimpel and the NBOME can pack their bags because people already want to get rid of them and the public outcry would be insane. Right now really only Med students and some awesome physicians care about this issue but if it causes an outbreak or death then I guarantee the general public will care about it and ide be shocked if the NBOME still existed in 5 years after that.
Do not misunderstand the SOMA resolution. In it, they talk about how students are appreciative of the NBOME. There is not some covert movement within the DO world to destroy the NBOME. It’s all about money, and the NBOME helps ensure that everyone continues to make money. Students need to continue to lead this fight. We need to remember we can expect no real help from organizations - SOMA, COSGP, AOA, whatever. It’s up to us.

Are you sure this person is not just named "Dean" or is this the actual COM dean? I can not fathom a reality where a D.O. school dean actually thinks rationally.

• Haha
Hit him up. Also, all this fear about PDs not considering “incomplete applications”, like what about the thousands of MD applicants without CS? Any PD who filters for PE or CS this cycle Is a psychopath. But we already knew these people would do stuff like this.
Thing is they won't screen for CS, they will never ever need to take it. We are screwed IF there's many of these PD types

Thing is they won't screen for CS, they will never ever need to take it. We are screwed IF there's many of these PD types
There are still people w Cs without CS and with failed CS...screening til exist as long as there are people w different circumstances and CS appears on app lol.

I think the opinion that a significant number of residency programs will use PE as a screen during the upcoming interview/match season is total nonsense. PDs know we are in an abnormal year. Most USMDs/IMGs/FMGs will not even have a CS score before entering residency programs next July.

Also
Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) Refunds
Last week, NBME and ECFMG sent emails to examinees who were registered to take Step 2 CS and were unable to test due to suspension of the exam. These emails included information about the refund process and timeline.

There are students pushing for being able to apply to med school without MCAT. Can you image your school saying "well, some people couldn't take the MCAT because of COVID, so we're going to include them with those who have it"? That wouldn't happen. They'd first look at the applications of those with everything completed, and then if they needed more they would open the search. PD's do this every year with exam scores. If they need more applicants, they cast a wider net (lower the threshold). This year will be no different in that regard. It's not to say us little fishy's without a PE won't get "caught in the net", it's saying that in some competitive residencies, we might not be caught in the FIRST net, but probably in the 2nd or third. This next analogy is terrible, but you don't go to the bar and immediately look for the girl with the missing teeth and body odor, you go for the one you're most attracted to and work from there (No offense to the girls with missing teeth and BO).

**EDIT** I think you're right that most PD's will probably be more lenient, but I wouldn't rule out each PD trying to get the best candidate with the least amount of hurdles.

Last edited:
There are students pushing for being able to apply to med school without MCAT. Can you image your school saying "well, some people couldn't take the MCAT because of COVID, so we're going to include them with those who have it"? That wouldn't happen. They'd first look at the applications of those with everything completed, and then if they needed more they would open the search. PD's do this every year with exam scores. If they need more applicants, they cast a wider net (lower the threshold). This year will be no different in that regard. It's not to say us little fishy's without a PE won't get "caught in the net", it's saying that in some competitive residencies, we might not be caught in the FIRST net, but probably in the 2nd or third. This next analogy is terrible, but you don't go to the bar and immediately look for the girl with the missing teeth and body odor, you go for the one you're most attracted to and work from there (No offense to the girls with missing teeth and BO).

**EDIT** I think you're right that most PD's will probably be more lenient, but I wouldn't rule out each PD trying to get the best candidate with the least amount of hurdles.

I agree with this. Whether it is right or wrong, thats the logical action from a PD. IF you can get enough applicants who already have this done, why wouldn't you look at them first? Its one fewer hurdle to deal with.

Eh you can’t compare that situation to this. CS/PE has always been an irrelevant score for PDs. It isn’t the focal point like the MCAT is.

Sure there will be programs that will screen us out, but I suspect the majority won’t. I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that 80% of my class won’t have a PE score by rank lists being due.

Eh you can’t compare that situation to this. CS/PE has always been an irrelevant score for PDs. It isn’t the focal point like the MCAT is.

Sure there will be programs that will screen us out, but I suspect the majority won’t. I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that 80% of my class won’t have a PE score by rank lists being due.

You're right, MCAT to PE/CS isn't a fair comparison, I was mostly just trying to demonstrate that there is an advantage to having a complete application vs missing components of it. I also agree that most programs probably know that this affects a huge amount of applicants, and the ones that filter us out initially will realize how small the pool actually is, and then just adjust filters and download another batch.

Update: NRMP added a 4th round of SOAP this year. Typically they try complete it all in 2 rounds from what I've read, so I think this means they're anticipating it being a very SOAP heavy year.

NBOME posted this back in May:
"The health and safety of our staff and candidates is of the utmost importance to the NBOME. Governors in both states (PA and IL) have mandates in place that have made it impossible to deliver the June exams. Therefore, NBOME has extended our COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE hiatus through June 30 and hope to resume testing on Wednesday, July 1. We apologize for the inconvenience this creates but ask for your understanding during this time of national emergency and uncertainty. Candidates scheduled in June will be notified individually and we will work with them to assist with rescheduling their exam. Once we return to normal operations, we will add a considerable number of additional exam sessions in an effort to provide as much opportunity to test and receive results in a timely manner."

Could you imagine us resuming testing today!?!?