ADEA 2023-2024 Application Questions thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When putting prerequisite courses in for each school, should I include all courses that satisfy the pre-req? For example for organic chemistry should I include both orgo I and orgo II or just orgo II?
Include both. Usually they’ll have a minimum credit limit you have to reach for each prereq. So orgo requirement might be 8 credits you need to fill. So orgo 1&2 plus lab should get you to 8 credits

Members don't see this ad.

Should I put a scholarship I won because of high school achievements on my application? It has applied to my financial aid all 3 years, and it was from getting a high ACT score and gpa in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I put a scholarship I won because of high school achievements on my application? It has applied to my financial aid all 3 years, and it was from getting a high ACT score and gpa in high school.
Yeah I included a scholarship I was awarded. As long as it was for college it should be okay. @Mr.Smile12 can you confirm, or is it okay?

Wait for the letter
Can you explain this? The AADSAS FAQ specifically states you can submit without the LOR. Then your app will get verified and then it'll be up to the individual schools to look at your application with or without the LOR. Is there a disadvantage if you submit without the LOR? I'm only asking because I already submitted without the LOR yet submitted.

Can you explain this? The AADSAS FAQ specifically states you can submit without the LOR. Then your app will get verified and then it'll be up to the individual schools to look at your application with or without the LOR. Is there a disadvantage if you submit without the LOR? I'm only asking because I already submitted without the LOR yet submitted.
ah, that seems new, or a very minute detail most don't see! Good catch. I usually recommend submitting after having everything completed so you aren't stressing about the evaluator waiting and not getting it done on time!

I'll leave a link to the supporting information. Tough to find, it took me a few minutes of digging to see it.

is it possible to take CASper in a different country?

ah, that seems new, or a very minute detail most don't see! Good catch. I usually recommend submitting after having everything completed so you aren't stressing about the evaluator waiting and not getting it done on time!

I'll leave a link to the supporting information. Tough to find, it took me a few minutes of digging to see it.

Yeah the FAQ answer is strange because they specifically state that you can submit but they won't review your application until you submit transcripts and LOR. So my question to them is..why bother letting people submit if you're not even going to review them until they do submit all their requirements.

Yeah the FAQ answer is strange because they specifically state that you can submit but they won't review your application until you submit transcripts and LOR. So my question to them is..why bother letting people submit if you're not even going to review them until they do submit all their requirements.
Must allow them to get the rest of the application verified, since that can take a while depending on when you submit it. But who knows for sure

I thought that was some weird rebel pixel or speck that got caught in the copy/Xerox machine...

Of course, if I downloaded it as part of an Excel file, line breaks aren't always carried over.

Should events like Yankee Dental and ADEA go dental fair go on my application? Also, should I be putting OSHA and FERPA training? these all seem like they would just make my application seem redundant and take away from my other experiences.
Licenses and certifications related to dentistry can be included. I don't think you need to use a space under experiences to say you attended Yankee or the ADEA Recruitment Fair though you can mention it in essays.

Heck, faculty don't even mention they received OSHA or FERPA training. Don't worry about them. :)

Do I need to pay separate fees to individual school other than the aadsas application fee?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Every school. Or they won’t look at your app. It gets expensive!!
You can't pay the separate fee until your application gets verified and the school sends you the supplemental. This is true for most schools, correct? I know I could pay for Maryland as soon as I submitted my application, but I couldn't pay for Creighton or Marquette yet.

Last edited:
If I accidentally said I earned Dean's List for Fall 2023 semester instead of Fall 2022 semester

You can't pay the separate fee until your application gets verified and the school sends you the supplemental. This is true for most schools, correct? I know I could pay for Maryland as soon as I submitted my application, but I couldn't pay for Creighton or Marquette yet.
Unless you have a FAP, yes. We have to pay for coffee and the virtual interview platform.

Unless you have a FAP, yes. We have to pay for coffee and the virtual interview platform.
I've a quick question. If we have FAP, what can we use it for other than waiving the first 494 dollar on aadsas? If we have FAP, why can't we pay the separate fees?

I've a quick question. If we have FAP, what can we use it for other than waiving the first 494 dollar on aadsas? If we have FAP, why can't we pay the separate fees?
The separate fees are through the school where FAP is through AADSAS. You could contact schools to try and get a waiver for their supplemental fees. Some might accept your FAP from AADSAS, just depends on the individual schools policy on what they require. You just need to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question on the achievements section. I haven’t gotten any awards or anything during college besides deans list. But I have tons from high school. Does it count or does it need to be college related?

Quick question on the achievements section. I haven’t gotten any awards or anything during college besides deans list. But I have tons from high school. Does it count or does it need to be college related?
It should be college related. You can list the deans list. Any scholarships you received in college you can list, that includes scholarships awarded when entering college. I listed a scholarship I was given going into freshmen year that I was awarded during senior year of high school.

Reactions: 1 user
Agrees. But exceptions include Eagle Scout, Presidential Scholar Award, Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship, ISEF or Google Science Fair Grand Prize, Young Poet Laureate...

How long should we spend on supplemental essays? Should it take a week? a day? What do you guys think?
I’d say a week maximum. I think I did my Creighton, NYU, and UPenn essays in 1-2 days. They’re usually not going to be as extensive as your PS. So you shouldn’t have to spend that much time. Just make sure it answers the prompt and is written well

ASDOH requires you to upload a dentist letter to your AADSAS profile but most schools, I've realized, don't ask for a dentist recommendation letter if you are using a pre-health committee letter. Am I safe to assume once I upload this, every school will have access to this letter?

Last edited:
ASDOH requires you to upload a dentist letter to your AADSAS profile but most schools, I've realized, don't ask for a dentist recommendation letter if you are using a pre-health committee letter. Am I safe to assume once I upload this, every school will have access to this letter?
Yes. You could ask if ASDOH would take it directly from the dentist so it doesn’t get uploaded to AADSAS. But they might not accept that. Doesn’t hurt to ask though

Do dental schools ask for official transcripts? Or can they see it from the AADSAS portal?

Do dental schools ask for official transcripts? Or can they see it from the AADSAS portal?
To start, you will send official transcripts through AADSAS for the application process, once accepted and the school gets their enrollment process going (Sometime around march-may), schools will then want you to send your official transcripts to them and not AADSAS. But until then, send them to AADSAS during the academic update periods if you still are taking classes.

My application just got verified. Is “Freshman-Sophomore-Junior-Senior” merely based on number of credits?

I read an AADSAS document that mentioned the programs can see your transcript in the application portal. They might need official transcripts if admitted down the road.

Hi I have already submitted my application and just retook my DAT today. I haven’t submitted any supplemental applications yet because I was waiting for my DAT to ensure schools will look at my new score. I added my unofficial scores on AADSAS but was wondering if I should submit my supplementals now too or wait until my official scores are submitted on my AADSAS(which I know can take up to 4 weeks and I wanna have everything completed as early as possible)? If I submit my supplementals now will schools still see my new score when initially looking at my application?

Hi I have already submitted my application and just retook my DAT today. I haven’t submitted any supplemental applications yet because I was waiting for my DAT to ensure schools will look at my new score. I added my unofficial scores on AADSAS but was wondering if I should submit my supplementals now too or wait until my official scores are submitted on my AADSAS(which I know can take up to 4 weeks and I wanna have everything completed as early as possible)? If I submit my supplementals now will schools still see my new score when initially looking at my application?
don't wait
the confirmation should be quick...

Yep. Don’t wait

My application was submitted to dental schools on June 1, 2023. The committee packet letter is still outstanding as of today. Do schools review the application without the committee letter? Any recommendations - should I send a follow up to my advisor?

My application was submitted to dental schools on June 1, 2023. The committee packet letter is still outstanding as of today. Do schools review the application without the committee letter? Any recommendations - should I send a follow up to my advisor?
Admissions committees do not review apps that are not complete. I would follow up with the committee to see when they will submit

When you have a letter writer submit a letter of recommendation directly to the school, do they need to have your application ID? I already had to do this twice, and both of my letter writers said they were able to submit the letters without any problems. I'm just scared the schools won't know that the letters are for me.

When you have a letter writer submit a letter of recommendation directly to the school, do they need to have your application ID? I already had to do this twice, and both of my letter writers said they were able to submit the letters without any problems. I'm just scared the schools won't know that the letters are for me.
There are many ways that letters are matched with applicants. Did you send them a link to a portal to upload your letters? I suppose you can check AADSAS. or your AADSAS portal if the letters are marked as received there.

It depends on the school, but schools are used to committee letters arriving a little later in the summer. Follow up with your schools as well.

What are some good questions to ask the admissions committee following interviews, tours, etc?

Borrowing from the AMCAS side:

You should ask relevant questions for you, especially some of the most important questions related to getting clinical experience, support for "business" content, access to graduate clinics, procedure requirements and competency grading while in clinic, and connections with alumni and local dental associations.

Tours may include where the bathrooms/lockers are (slightly kidding, where do you change into scrubs, put away your "winter wear" if you wind up at a northern climate school). You also should ask to see the dirtiest place in the school where students work; you might not find confidential/top secret files in the bathrooms, but it's a sign to know how much the students really care for the facilities. Pay close attention to how space is used.

Has anyone with high stats not get into dental school? If so, do you mind sharing why you think you weren't successful?
I think a couple from the last cycle went unsuccessful for different reasons. You can browse the previous years dental specific threads and see.

I think those with high stats might not have been successful due to a couple of reasons (speculative, but a genuine possibility):

1. Applied to too many top-heavy schools and no safetys/in-range schools
2. Applied to too few schools to not cover the spread
3. Did not stand out in an interview/didn't practice enough or take it seriously
4. Applied too late in the cycle, competing for far fewer seats

Reactions: 1 users
So Im confused. I plan on getting a part time job this summer (prob the latest august) but i haven't applied yet. Do i put that under employment since it would be before october? I have a general idea of what i want to do, but i don't even know where I would get hired so I dont know what to put under "employer." I was going to put it under planend activities but they said if you start before november then to put it under current activities but idk how to write a description for something I dont know the roles of
I don't think you should include it until you have the job secured and know your position and your responsibilities.

Yeah thats what I thought. Btw where do you put like dental school touring or if they had a workshop?
I don't think you would. The school would just see the names and compare the two. (If you include tours on your app every school would see that) @Mr.Smile12, do schools keep track of applicants that visit schools to do workshops/tours?

im submitting my transcripts right now and am i understanding this correctly? my schools are mailing my transcript via paper/mail instead of electronically? is that typical? also, what do i do if my university doesn't partner with either parchment or national student clearing house? how do i send those transcripts?
if they don't have electronic submissions then yeah, they'll have to mail them. Idk if it's typical, but it's not abnormal. I sent mine electronically but some schools don't have that option available so sending by mail just might take a little longer to receive but there shouldn't be any issues.

If they don't partner with either 2, you'll just have to have your registrar's office send the official transcripts. You will have to send them to AADSAS to have your app verified and submitted, and then you'll have to send them again once you confirm enrollment at a school.

@Mr.Smile12, do schools keep track of applicants that visit schools to do workshops/tours?
Ideally, they do have a record if their application management system allows for longitudinal records before one applies. More details require a totally different discussion of customer relationship management software, and not all schools use the same CRM/application management software.

You can/should use an experience slot (Academic enrichment program, I think) if you were part of any Pathway to Dentistry-like week-long program or SHPEP. That's the way to signal your past attendance at such workshops. Recruitment days are not as impressive to list, but they can be mentioned strategically in the application.

If an applicant gets more than one offer in December, is there an option to hold a seat at more than one school? I understand it to be best practice to not do this to give other applicants a chance at admission. Also, if you get an acceptance on day one in December and accept that offer, but then later on another school gives you an offer that you would rather attend, can you give up the original acceptance to the school you accepted? I am guessing you will just forfeit the deposit you paid to hold the seat and then you can just accept the offer from the new school?

If an applicant gets more than one offer in December, is there an option to hold a seat at more than one school? I understand it to be best practice to not do this to give other applicants a chance at admission. Also, if you get an acceptance on day one in December and accept that offer, but then later on another school gives you an offer that you would rather attend, can you give up the original acceptance to the school you accepted? I am guessing you will just forfeit the deposit you paid to hold the seat and then you can just accept the offer from the new school?
you can hold as many seats as you want up until the adea deadline
and you can place as many deposits as you want too
and as long as you are polite, you can turn down a december offer for another school later

but, as you said, it's best practice not to hold on to seats you are not going to ever use...

Status
Not open for further replies.