Admission and questions about these schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slvb

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum! I am pre-vet and looking at a few schools. I am not too far into my undergrad to really give an accurate GPA and haven't taken my GRE. But it is currently above 3.6 and I hope to graduate at that or higher, and hopefully will have around there for the science GPA too, though maybe it would be slightly less. I have quite a bit of vet (rehab, wildlife, and will do small animal clinic soon) and animal experience and will have more over the next few summers. I know this doesn't say much but it is just to give an idea as my point isn't focused on if I can get into these schools or not, I just want to know how admissions is like in comparison between these.

The schools I currently like include besides my instate include UC Davis, Oregon, CSU, UF, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Can anyone tell me what these admissions are like for out of state with average to slightly competitive stats? I know CSU is hard for out of state, and Michigan is easier for those with a less than stellar GPA, so I was curious about this kind of info for the other schools. And those who go there, if you like it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum! I am pre-vet and looking at a few schools. I am not too far into my undergrad to really give an accurate GPA and haven't taken my GRE. But it is currently above 3.6 and I hope to graduate at that or higher, and hopefully will have around there for the science GPA too, though maybe it would be slightly less. I have quite a bit of vet (rehab, wildlife, and will do small animal clinic soon) and animal experience and will have more over the next few summers. I know this doesn't say much but it is just to give an idea as my point isn't focused on if I can get into these schools or not, I just want to know how admissions is like in comparison between these.

The schools I currently like include besides my instate include UC Davis, Oregon, CSU, UF, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Can anyone tell me what these admissions are like for out of state with average to slightly competitive stats? I know CSU is hard for out of state, and Michigan is easier for those with a less than stellar GPA, so I was curious about this kind of info for the other schools. And those who go there, if you like it. Thanks!
Try the thread stuck to the top called what are my chances you'll get more of a response there. As for how UC Davis handles admissions from OOS is fairly competitive, you can look on the website for specific statistics, but in general they look at your last 45 credits GPA (usually your last 2 semesters of full time coursework) your overall science GPA, and how your letters of recommendation rank you on a scale from one to five. They don't care about your cumulative GPA or your essays. They don't even read them. In addition they only look at you Quantitative GRE score. They then invite the top 5-10% of OOS applicants for interviews and then everything is a level playing field for IS and OOS applicants. Hope that helps. I'm not much use for other schools unfortunately. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the response Coopah! That sounds extremely competitive. I got accepted to undergrad there, and now I kind of regret not going lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the response Coopah! That sounds extremely competitive. I got accepted to undergrad there, and now I kind of regret not going lol
Why? Doing undergrad there will not increase your chances unless you're talking about residency then yes, they allow you to become a resident which could theoretically increase your chances.

Yes, I was talking about residency. I have a few friends who go there too. I know them through dog sports, and they seem to like the program although it is difficult (I assume all vet schools are though).