Advice needed! UNE vs. NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hbb10001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I found out today that I'm accepted to NSU which is awesome but now I have to decide between Nova and UNE (Campbell is out of the picture for anyone who read my last thread). These two schools were very very different in my opinion from location, class size and overall feel. I'm from NE so UNE is closer to home but some of the changes in curriculum/academic issues are a little troublesome to me. Nova seems to be a top tier school in terms of academics and rotations but i'm not sure how I feel about the large class size. One thing I really liked about UNE was that the students I talked to really really liked the school. BUT, looking at their rotations, I noticed that many are in Maine and not southern Maine hospitals and I didn't really like this because I would like to do my rotations at a bigger hospital and once you go past Southern Maine it gets deserted very quickly...
How

Any thoughts from people?

Members don't see this ad.

these are both top tier schools. I would go with wherever you would be happiest as these schools are both about the same tuition wise no? After that i would look at their third and fourth year rotations as those are most important in your education primarily. Every schools curriculum for years one and two will get the job done and how you do on board scores depends on you (granted this isnt a lecture vs pbl discussion). other than that I would look at where you want to live. Florida or Maine? which school did you like better? those kinds of things. since tuition is pretty much similar

Out of those two, I'd strongly suggest NSU over UNE. When interviewing at NSU, the students I met with were quite enthusiastic about the school and how much they liked it. If there's any doubt in your mind, perhaps contact the students you met on your interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
While most DO schools will give you equal opportunities I do think NSU has a bit of an edge. UNE is beautiful and to it's credit it is the only med school in the area, however, that area will not give you as much exposure to different types of medicine as NSU will. Ft Lauderdale is a huge area and you will be close to Miami. The culture down in southern FL is a melting pot of different ethnicities. It's also close to Jackson memorial hospital, one of the LARGEST hospitals in the US. I think you will have more opportunities graduating from NSU, but that's my opinion.

While most DO schools will give you equal opportunities I do think NSU has a bit of an edge. UNE is beautiful and to it's credit it is the only med school in the area, however, that area will not give you as much exposure to different types of medicine as NSU will. Ft Lauderdale is a huge area and you will be close to Miami. The culture down in southern FL is a melting pot of different ethnicities. It's also close to Jackson memorial hospital, one of the LARGEST hospitals in the US. I think you will have more opportunities graduating from NSU, but that's my opinion.
Yes, that's definitely something drawing me to NSU!! I'm also interested in EM (although this might change) so a bigger location would be better. I've lived in New England for many years now so the familiarity with the area is something holding me back.

On a side note, does anyone know the passing rate for NSU students on the boards? I can't seem to find this anywhere but I know UNE's is 94.5 which is pretty impressive