This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I am hoping to get some feedback about how good or bad of shape I’m in in terms of setting myself up to get into med school. I have just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I have attended a community college for my first two years. Now that that is done, I will be going to a local university where I live to finish my degree (bachelors in biology). I currently have a 3.93 GPA (only B in calculus I). I have shadowed a podiatrist for 8 hours (even though I know I don’t wanna do podiatry). Also, I have volunteered as a counselor at a camp for kids with autoimmune disorders (mainly arthritis) for a full week (stayed at the camp all day and night for 7 days and plan to do it again next month as well). Also, since the summer after high school, I have worked part time at a courthouse. Also, currently I am working on a local political campaign.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments in regard to the shape I’m in for the prospect of going to med school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are doing okay but you have to step up your ECs. You need around 50hours of shadowing, including some in with a primary care doc. You also need 150+ hours with direct patient contact. And the same in non clinical service to the unserved/underserved. Your work at the camp might count for some of that. If you are interested in research you might want to pursue that when you transfer. You could even start looking for opportunities now since the school you are transferring to is local. And of course you’ll need to do well on the MCAT. You should plan to take a gap year or two . It’s hard to transfer so you want to have time to figure that out so your grades don’t suffer. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
hi, I am hoping to get some feedback about how good or bad of shape I’m in in terms of setting myself up to get into med school. I have just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I have attended a community college for my first two years. Now that that is done, I will be going to a local university where I live to finish my degree (bachelors in biology).
1) I currently have a 3.93 GPA (only B in calculus I).
2) I have shadowed a podiatrist for 8 hours (even though I know I don’t wanna do podiatry).
3) Also, I have volunteered as a counselor at a camp for kids with autoimmune disorders (mainly arthritis) for a full week (stayed at the camp all day and night for 7 days and plan to do it again next month as well).
4) Also, since the summer after high school, I have worked part time at a courthouse.
5) Also, currently I am working on a local political campaign.

6) I would appreciate any thoughts or comments in regard to the shape I’m in for the prospect of going to med school.
1) Excellent. Keep up the good work, but be warned, it isn't unusual for grades to drop at a 4-year school due to an unexpected uptick in learning pace and rigor.

2) Find some physicians to shadow. Maybe ask your own doc or those of your parents. Agree with a 50 hour goal, which should include a primary care doc.

3) This is likely to be a nonclinical experience as adcomms would judge it, unless you are involved in physical therapy, passing medication, or otherwise being involved in helping camp nurses. Do not count your sleep hours when listing Total Hours on the application.

4) A position of responsibility reflects well.

5) About half of adcomms are likely to disagree with any particular party platform, so discribe it generically.

6) Other activities to consider getting involved in would be peer leadership and teaching (TA, tutor, mentor, coach), besides research, clinical experience, and more community service.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are doing okay but you have to step up your ECs. You need around 50hours of shadowing, including some in with a primary care doc. You also need 150+ hours with direct patient contact. And the same in non clinical service to the unserved/underserved. Your work at the camp might count for some of that. If you are interested in research you might want to pursue that when you transfer. You could even start looking for opportunities now since the school you are transferring to is local. And of course you’ll need to do well on the MCAT. You should plan to take a gap year or two . It’s hard to transfer so you want to have time to figure that out so your grades don’t suffer. Good luck.
Would shadowing at an urgent care be good for primary care?

Would shadowing at an urgent care be good for primary care?
No. Primary care providers provide longitudinal care for their patients over a period of time (eg, office-based internists, pediatricians, family med). Urgent care docs provide episodic care. You could still include this type of practice for part of your shadowing though.

Reactions: 2 users
hi, I am hoping to get some feedback about how good or bad of shape I’m in in terms of setting myself up to get into med school. I have just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I have attended a community college for my first two years. Now that that is done, I will be going to a local university where I live to finish my degree (bachelors in biology). I currently have a 3.93 GPA (only B in calculus I). I have shadowed a podiatrist for 8 hours (even though I know I don’t wanna do podiatry). Also, I have volunteered as a counselor at a camp for kids with autoimmune disorders (mainly arthritis) for a full week (stayed at the camp all day and night for 7 days and plan to do it again next month as well). Also, since the summer after high school, I have worked part time at a courthouse. Also, currently I am working on a local political campaign.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments in regard to the shape I’m in for the prospect of going to med school. Thanks!
Rock star!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
My advice would be to pursue a volunteering activity that is not a one-time-thing but rather a weekly activity. Something you can go to every Tuesday night for example. I believe that it helps to have an activity stretch over a long period of time

Reactions: 1 users