Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be giving up my spot on Monday, good luck guys

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything? There appeared to be a lot of movement on the Facebook group.

Got a call from Dr. Reynolds at 4pm Alabama time. Has anyone else from USF (tampa) been accepted?

Do you mind posting when you interviewed. Just trying to see if there is any correlation to the time frame. Thanks and congrats to both of you.

Got a call from Dr. Reynolds at 4pm Alabama time. Has anyone else from USF (tampa) been accepted?

I am applying this year and am at USF. Really interested in this school! So you got off the wait list then?

They accepted several USF master's students. Lots of people are coming in from Tampa and Florida in general.

For those that have been accepted when you got the call was the number blocked on you caller ID or did it show acoms number? Thanks

When accepted the number did show up. Also I had missed the call at first but they were nice enough to leave a message for me to call back

Members don't see this ad :)
To ease anyone's mind, someone stated they would be withdrawing from acom and attending another school today, so they may be dipping into the waitlist again. Hoping for the best for whoever is waiting.

Just got the acceptance call, the list is still moving have faith! Interviewed back in February it was a long wait!!!!

Got a call on the 17th! Talk about cutting it close haha. I think there might be one or two more drops at the most but right now they're sitting on a full class. Also, what's everyone doing for housing?

Got a call on the 17th! Talk about cutting it close haha. I think there might be one or two more drops at the most but right now they're sitting on a full class. Also, what's everyone doing for housing?

Congrats Nom Anor!!!! :thumbup::):cool:

The majority of the students are living at the new apartments built next to campus. It's not associated with ACOM whatsoever, though ACOM worked with a private company to build apartments next to campus (3 mins walking distance - I think). However, currently those units have been leased fully. You can contact the manager at Summerfield to be on the waiting is you wish.

From the FB page, the top three non 'student housing' are: Princeton Place, Highland Hills, and Magnolia Preserve. I believe Highland Hills is ranked #1 among these. Good luck with housing!!!!

Princeton Place was full until late august. Highland hills will probably be your best bet because they are way cheaper than magnolia preserve.

May be some movement again on the waitlist. Someone is withdrawing today. Best of luck :)

I haven't read through this entire thread (cuz it's 26 pages long), but does anyone who has been accepted to ACOM have any tips regarding the essays? Anything you think they look for in particular?

Last edited:
Reading all of these stories makes me so excited for my interview next month. It seems that the administration really cares about students and their success.

Can any current first year students at ACOM give any input on the school thus far, your experiences, if it was what you thought it would be, what you wish you knew before you started, etc??

Can any current first year students at ACOM give any input on the school thus far, your experiences, if it was what you thought it would be, what you wish you knew before you started, etc??

I really wasn't sure what it'd be, but I'm definitely happy that I'm here!

I think that the curriculum is put together extremely well. We have 5 classes right now - molecular medicine (MM; genetics, pharm, biochem, etc.), anatomical sciences (AS; anatomy, histology), osteopathic principles and practice (OPP), primary clinical skills (PCS), and foundations of modern healthcare (FMH; mostly an ethics course so far).

The classes are, for the most part, coordinated with each other. This really helps solidify everything as part of "the big picture" as opposed to an assortment of facts for memorization.

As part of preparing us for the COMLEX and USMLE, we have had board-style questions starting with the first test. The further along we go, the more board-style questions we are starting to see. I believe the goal is to have 100% board-style exams starting with the systems-based courses next semester. There is also a mock-COMLEX scheduled for the end of the semester that won't go into our grades, but is meant to help people gauge their understanding of the concepts thus far as they would apply it during the COMLEX.

We have already had encounters with standardized patients even though we're just first years. I really think that this is helping a lot of people get over that initial awkward phase of patient interaction.

This sounds really promising!
I have an interview at the end of the month and the more I hear about this school the more I start to think its for me!
I love the idea of giving board prep questions on regular exams to get our minds thinking in that mode. I also love the idea they are having patient encounters this soon!
Thanks for the updates!

I think that the curriculum is put together extremely well. We have 5 classes right now - molecular medicine (MM; genetics, pharm, biochem, etc.), anatomical sciences (AS; anatomy, histology), osteopathic principles and practice (OPP), primary clinical skills (PCS), and foundations of modern healthcare (FMH; mostly an ethics course so far).

The classes are, for the most part, coordinated with each other. This really helps solidify everything as part of "the big picture" as opposed to an assortment of facts for memorization.

As part of preparing us for the COMLEX and USMLE, we have had board-style questions starting with the first test. The further along we go, the more board-style questions we are starting to see. I believe the goal is to have 100% board-style exams starting with the systems-based courses next semester. There is also a mock-COMLEX scheduled for the end of the semester that won't go into our grades, but is meant to help people gauge their understanding of the concepts thus far as they would apply it during the COMLEX.

We have already had encounters with standardized patients even though we're just first years. I really think that this is helping a lot of people get over that initial awkward phase of patient interaction.

LMU-DCOM and ACOM have identical classes, including the names. Is this the norm for most med schools? I would guess most are pretty much standardized , but don't know for sure

LMU-DCOM and ACOM have identical classes, including the names. Is this the norm for most med schools? I would guess most are pretty much standardized , but don't know for sure

The dean for ACOM started LMU-DCOM also... maybe that's why?

I am currently a student at ACOM as part of their inaugural class. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Just as a "precaution" as you know this is a new school so it would make sense that the first year (my class) would have problems. However, I can tell you right now this is NOT what I signed up for when I got accepted here. If you'd like to know more or get some insight on what to expect feel free to message me. Good luck to you all.

Can I ask what exactly it is that you signed up for then? Sure, inaugural class has their kinks working out, but I, for one, appreciate that they are putting in the effort to make this a very successful school.

I am currently a student at ACOM as part of their inaugural class. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Just as a "precaution" as you know this is a new school so it would make sense that the first year (my class) would have problems. However, I can tell you right now this is NOT what I signed up for when I got accepted here. If you'd like to know more or get some insight on what to expect feel free to message me. Good luck to you all.

Hello, can any current ACOM students shed some light on how the waitlist works (i.e. if you were originally on the waitlist after you interviewed, when did you get your acceptance)? How long did you wait? what did you do to improve your chances to get off the waitlist? I heard people can even get admission ~2 weeks before school starts (sounds so stressful). I'm asking because I interviewed at ACOM last month and got put on the waitlist:( So I am just wondering how ACOM deals with their waitlist students. Any info would be great; thanks!

Interviewed on 4/11. Got my wait list notification today 4/16. This late in the cycle that feels like a victory to me. Satisfied that it didn't take the full 2 weeks for notification.
Hello OldMemphis, I was just wondering if after your waitlist from ACOM you received an offer later on? If so how long did you have to wait for it? Can you provide me with any info about the waitlist? I am currently waitlisted myself at ACOM after having interviewed there last month.

Sorry I haven't been on here in forever. I ended up getting in my first choice which was DCOM.