Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Another Help me Rank List

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by JAPrufrock, Feb 17, 2007.

1. JAPrufrock

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yet another help me rank list

Interested in primary care/public health/health services research/int health

How would you rank the following:

Yale PC
    UTSW
    Baylor
    Univ of Washington--PC Seattle
    Univ of Miami
    George Washington
    Brown--Gen Med
    UTHSC-SA (San Antonio)
    UNC
    Univ of Colorado--PC
    Case Western--Int. Health
    Einstein--Social Medicine
    U Pittsburg--Int Health

Thanks! Need help badly!

2. TxMed

TxMed SpottieOttieDopalicious
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    once again...the weather method never goes wrong. if you like it cold...yale,brown, etc...are at the top of the list. but, if you like it hot...miami, san antonio, baylor, utsw, unc...get the picture. weather will never fail you.

-tm

3. turkleton

turkleton Capeless Crusader
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are way too many different types of programs on here with different career goals. All respects to the awesomeness of the weather theory, but you've clearly got a professional agenda which you need to weigh heavily when considering the rank list. You're applying for everything from social medicine to academic internal medicine! I'm sure you know all of this and I'm just rehashing a debate that's been going on in your mind for the past few months, but I'd be hesitant to put this particular rank list in the hands of others.

4. orientedtoself

orientedtoself resident
    5+ Year Member

UW
    UTSW
    Colorado
    Yale
    Case
    UNC
    Brown
    Pitt

5. 07match

2+ Year Member

w/ your criteria in mind, I ranked the ones that I interviewed at.

UW
    UNC
    Brown (amazing international focus, residents were some of the funniest, friendliest on the trail)
    U Colorado (excellent prim care, very friendly overall)
    UTSW (not sure this would be high on my list w/ your criteria- would be much higher if considering a fellowship- I found it to be very friendly, undeserving of the malignant rep)

good luck!

6. Geri_Gal

Geri_Gal Loving Life
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Here are my 2 cents...based on where I interviewed. (...and, btw, I think that I met you on the trail!)

Yale PC -- driving 35 min. each way daily would suck, but the program has great faculty/opportunities for research, and great fellowship placement.

Brown

UW (on paper, it looks great, but I was told by my interviewers that applicants rank the PC programs just to increase their chances of matching at the program. I don't know if they are careful to choose applicants who really care about PC. It is a really strong program, though.)

Pitt

U of Colorado

7. Tapout

Tapout Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yale PC fits your interests ideally. If you felt like you had a great interview there and liked what you saw it seems like a no-brainer. Brown is excellent as well, I am not familiar with the West Coast programs, I cannot imagine any of them not giving you what you need. Yale and Brown have great International health electives that are fully funded.