Any South Carolina SDNers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
premedtiger said:
Hello-I am on the waiting list at USC.

Do you think it would be advisable for me to send a letter of intent? I want to do whatever I can to get off of the waiting list there and get accepted!!! Any advice you can offer would be great!!!

If you have not already contacted your interviewers, I would start there. They may be able to give you some guidance on what steps to take. You definitely do not want to come across as desperate, but I think showing interest cannot hurt your chances. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anybody knows if the waitlist at USC has had any movement especially now that the May 15th deadline has passed. I know that there were some people on this thread who had been waitlisted and were hoping for some good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
I was going to until I got a C in my retake of organic II. No point in applying there now. :thumbdown:

JKDMed...just because of a C in organic? I saw a recent thread about someone else getting C's but still getting into various schools...don't give up hope!

JKDMed said:
Anyone know the stats for USC and MUSC? I believe USC is around 3.49 but I have never been able to find anything related to MUSC.

Just wondering if I should waste the money applying to my state schools. I have ~ 3.4 cumulative/3.2-3.3 science GPA.
I'm going out of state in the fall for medical school, but I do know what the stats were for 2003. The average GPA was 3.6 overall, average science GPA 3.3, and the average MCAT score was 26. They interview 80% of the instate applicants. They interview just about everyone. They are mainly focused on your MCAT score, so if you don't have the minimum, which is 21, you won't receive an interview. It's impossible to get accepted if you are out of state. My parents are both alumni from MUSC, so I know a lot of the ins and outs of the admissions system. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. With regards to USC, I have no idea. They are very MCAT focused as well. I didn't have a 30 or above on the MCAT, and they refused to send me a secondary application. MUSC is a much better instate school, however, but the class-size is a lot larger than that at USC. You get more individualized attention at USC, but my mother who occasionally has to go over to the VA hospital, told me that the USC medical students are babied too much and get out of doing a lot of clinical work so they can study.

Femina, Did you by chance get accepted by MUSC and decline this year. Im currently on the waitlist and would love to hear that. Thanks and good luck in your out of state school.

DW3843 said:
I was wondering if anybody knows if the waitlist at USC has had any movement especially now that the May 15th deadline has passed. I know that there were some people on this thread who had been waitlisted and were hoping for some good news.

I called them yesterday and they said some people had withdrawn but they hadn't made any new offers yet. They said the committee is going to meet next week, probably Thursday, to discuss new acceptances.

Im a SCer applying in 2005 as well. When do the two SC schools start interviewing. I plan to have my application in pretty close to the day it opens.

Stillwater45 said:
Femina, Did you by chance get accepted by MUSC and decline this year. Im currently on the waitlist and would love to hear that. Thanks and good luck in your out of state school.
Stillwater45, I got accepted to MUSC in February, but I declined the acceptance. I really do hope you get off the waitlist. I've heard of a lot of people being on the waitlist this year. I know another guy who will be attending Emory instead of MUSC. There's usually a lag a little after May 15, and I think MUSC isn't that strict on telling them about where you plan to attend in the fall. The movement may start next week. I'll be thinking about you. I hope you get off the waitlist and start at my parents' alma mater in the fall. :)

JKDMed said:
Hmm, maybe I'll fill out AMCAS after all, though my GPAs aren't really prime for MUSC. What the hell, I would dig Charleston for four years.

Go for it! Have you taken the MCAT yet or do you plan to take it soon? I assume that you will apply to both USC SOM and MUSC. BTW, thanks for the feedback on orgo profs you gave on the "Under M1" thread. As of right now, I'm not sure if I WILL be taking classes on the Columbia campus next fall (2005). As of right now, I've been accepted to USC-Aiken as a transfer student for that term. Cola has some really nice courses to choose from but the Aiken campus is so much smaller - smaller class size - more one-on-one time with the profs - which never hurts. I would rather have some quality time with them now - to learn - then to constantly wonder (later) if I have a good hold on the information I'm really going to need! Does that make sense? Plus, even though the amount/type of medical research being done at the Aiken campus is extremely limited at this time -----I found out that my pre-med advisor is the primary researcher and would most likely be one of my profs as well. He's invited my husband and me to come down this summer for a tour of the campus and the labs - pretty nice considering that I won't be transferring for another year! Which, BTW, isn't very long considering that I have definite plans to be making notes and studying along and along for the MCAT in April 2006 (MY application year :) ).

I was talking with a lady today - she asked how in the world did I go to school with 4 kids - I told her some days were better than others. After I hung up - I realized that I should have told her the truth - LOTS of caffeine and even more so----LOTS and LOTS of prayers!!

SOOO.....I say....if you're ready....got for it!! The coast would be nice but hey.....GROSS anatomy man....GROSS anatomy..... :laugh:

Let me know what you decide to do!!

Stillwater and Clemson doc (and any other South Carolinians that applied to MUSC or USC)

Do you mind telling me your GPA and MCAT scores. I am from SC but go to WFU. I want to go to MUSC but I have a few more years and just wanted to know what to shoot for.

-DREG

Members don't see this ad :)
USC Alumni and former student member of the Admissions Committee checking in here. There are a few misconceptions in this thread, but I'd be glad to answer any questions that I can regarding the application process and what the committee is really looking for.

USCDiver said:
I'd be glad to answer any questions that I can regarding the application process and what the committee is really looking for.

Yes, please....any advise you may have would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Thanks! :)

I wanted to apply to MUSC and USC since I have so much family in SC. But I doubt that they would give this yankee out-of-stater any play :( OOS tuition is so much higher too :laugh:

Scubadoc said:
so what is the committee really looking for? :)

The committee is looking for applicants that show that they can do the work (ie GPA and MCAT), show a true commitment to medicine (ie volunteerism and shadowing, but not just working in the billing department of a practice, or hanging out with your Dr. Dad one or two days; true patient interactions and MD interactions are preferred). Be able to demonstrate some measure of well-roundedness and give an engaging interview.

You probably already knew all of this. I'm not sure how much of what I know is considered confidential to the committee and what is not. Ms Embler in the admissions office can provide you with answers to most of your questions including what you can do to improve your application (Ms Mills retired this year.)

THANKS USCDiver!

...for it's always nice to receive advice and encouragement from someone who has been where we would like to go!

How doe the alternate list / waitlist work? Do they rank studentes, replace a withdrawn student with a similar student (sex, ethnicity), or what? Is there ever much movement? How do they deal with OOS students? Thanks for the info.

I'm from SC .... I'm gonna miss it :(

kwgold said:
How doe the alternate list / waitlist work? Do they rank studentes, replace a withdrawn student with a similar student (sex, ethnicity), or what? Is there ever much movement? How do they deal with OOS students? Thanks for the info.

Once the committee has assigned a score to an applicant, it's pretty much out of our hands, and we don't see it anymore. From then on it's basically Dr. Hoppmann and Dr. Faulkner who decide who to send the acceptances to. My understanding is that there is a more or less set number of out of staters and the top ones of that group are offered a spot. The in-staters are ranked on the list as they go. The ones over a certain score that has historically been accepted will get an acceptance letter early in the year. Those on the cusp will receive a waitlist letter and those far below will get a 'better luck next year' letter. After the last interviews, it's strictly from the list. One of the girls in my class got her acceptance notice the week before classes started. So don't lose hope yet, little ones.

Thanks USC Diver for the straightest answer I've every gotten.

I actually applied to SCSOM because I have family in South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) and it is one of the few state schools in the southeast that accepts OOS student. My mother recieved her Bachelor's and Master's from SC, before eventually moving to Florida where she met my father. If I ever left Florida again (spent 4 years in a New England prep school before coming back for college), I would really like to head for South Carolina. I love the state. My visit to the school was great, the best I had. Let me know if you want to know more.

OOPS, I didn't mean to kill this thread. Come back South Carolina people.

Anybody going to University of South Carolina? Anybody accepted there and waiting on a waitlist somewhere else?

Think I have a chance at USC if I have all my elementary, middle, high school, and college in SC, but moved to Mississippi two years ago after College?
This is, assuming my GPA and MCAT are okay

NubianPrincess said:
I wanted to apply to MUSC and USC since I have so much family in SC. But I doubt that they would give this yankee out-of-stater any play :( OOS tuition is so much higher too :laugh:

Go for it--you, too, biosailgirl. I got interviews at both places after I moved to NC b/c I grew up in SC and have strong family ties there. MUSC asks for detailed information about your SC ties, so you can make a good case for yourself. But yes, OOS tuition stinks. (However, they told us at the USC interview that after 1 year of living in SC you might qualify for in-state--I would think that a lot of tax-payers in your family would help, too.) :luck:

Bugpie said:
As of right now, I'm not sure if I WILL be taking classes on the Columbia campus next fall (2005). As of right now, I've been accepted to USC-Aiken as a transfer student for that term. Cola has some really nice courses to choose from but the Aiken campus is so much smaller - smaller class size - more one-on-one time with the profs - which never hurts. I would rather have some quality time with them now - to learn - then to constantly wonder (later) if I have a good hold on the information I'm really going to need! Does that make sense? Plus, even though the amount/type of medical research being done at the Aiken campus is extremely limited at this time -----I found out that my pre-med advisor is the primary researcher

bugpie, you might want to talk to the Office of Pre-Professional Advising before you decide for sure. They were a huge help to me during that process (I graduated in 2000, applied in 2002). Research opportunities can be important, especially if you want to go to a research school like MUSC, but even just for rounding out your app. Also, a lot of med schools don't consider satellite campuses to be as rigorous as the main one. Speaking from the perspective of an MSII, I can also tell you that orgo is virtually useless after the MCAT unless you're doing a pharmacology PhD. ;)

i have two questions about MUSC admissions i was hoping you could help me with:

1) does anyone know the screening formula for MUSC to get interviewed?
2) what type of stats are standard for early decision at MUSC?

thanks alot,

jhrugger

(However, they told us at the USC interview that after 1 year of living in SC you might qualify for in-state--I would think that a lot of tax-payers in your family would help, too.)

How did they get around doing this? I read the state law, and it seemed nearly impossible to get around. Maybe there is a way.

I'd be very interested to hear.. I really wanted to go to school in South Carolina--either in Columbia or Charleston--, but I gave up because I'm not paying $48,000/year out-of-state tuition.

Can't you guys get them to cut a southerner a break? :)

freaker said:
How did they get around doing this? I read the state law, and it seemed nearly impossible to get around. Maybe there is a way.

I'd be very interested to hear.. I really wanted to go to school in South Carolina--either in Columbia or Charleston--, but I gave up because I'm not paying $48,000/year out-of-state tuition.

Can't you guys get them to cut a southerner a break? :)

I don't know. I'm told that the financial aid people are extremely helpful, and that they actually fill in a lot of your forms for you. :wow:

I would go ahead and apply and then see what they can do for you in the finances.

I've been accepted at USC and MUSC as well.

delta1410 said:
I've been accepted at USC and MUSC as well.

what did ur stats look like. and how did interviewing go?

Scubadoc said:
bumping up this thread

has anyone heard anything from MUSC or USC?

I got accepted to USC in December and I've been waitlisted at MUSC since November. Still waiting to hear from them.

Current USC SOM student here. ask away...

streetdoc

I want to apply to MUSC and maybe USC also but I'm technically a PA resident because I live here with my husband and go to school here. But my parents are in Charleston and I grew up there and my entire extended family is there so I was hoping they would give me more consideration than another out-of-stater, which from above posts looks like it might be the case. Although like said above, OOS tuition is crazy. So probably I'll be applying mostly in PA and around here but I would really love to move back to Charleston, it's probably my favorite place in the US...

Tigress,

Well you can always establish residency after your first year and then you can pay instate tuition for the rest of the years.

j48seconds said:
Tigress,

Well you can always establish residency after your first year and then you can pay instate tuition for the rest of the years.

So I actually looked into this more since I responded to this thread. There is a way you can apply to be considered in-state while applying to the school. If you have significant ties to the area, like your family is there and you grew up there, and you can show that you just left for some reason temporarily (like school), and you plan on making Charleston your residence, sometimes they will consider you a resident. I emailed them to ask if this is a binding decision, meaning it would change your residence for the purpose of other applications, and how hard it would be to get this consideration. They haven't gotten back, but when they do I'll let y'all know

Is anyone else waiting to hear from MUSC? I sent an update to my transcript. I hope that helps me out.

Bumping...

USC vs MUSC

Reasons to attend either one?

I have to make a decision and I want to make sure I'm taking in all pros and cons.
Anyone have suggestions?

j48seconds said:
Bumping...

USC vs MUSC

Reasons to attend either one?

I have to make a decision and I want to make sure I'm taking in all pros and cons.
Anyone have suggestions?

MUSC in Charleston, USC in Columbia...that's enough right there for me to choose MUSC :D :p

Anyway, also MUSC is ranked top 50 in USNews for primary care, not sure about USC but I don't think so. Probably USC is cheaper, so that's a big deal. For clinical stuff, USC gives you more of a city-type population. I'm not sure how big a difference this is.

Personally I think MUSC is definitely the best choice. But of course (the cliche), it's wherever you feel most comfortable, so you should check both out and see where you think you'd be happiest.

Feel free to ask me any questions about admissions or anything else about USC for that matter.