This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody heard back from UIC, Georgia Tech, UNL, Notre Dame, Uni of California-Santa Cruz, State Uni of San Jose? I haven't heard back from any of the sites yet. Any of you think I should email them?
I have had responses from UIC, Notre Dame, UC Santa Cruz, and San Jose State. I did not apply to UNL or Georgia Tech, so I'm not sure about those.

Last edited:
Did anybody else apply to University of Houston-Clear Lake? I haven't heard anything from them yet. I would love to know if: 1) anybody else is in the same boat or 2) if I can go ahead and count them as a rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all interviews over skype or zoom? Or does it depend on the sites?
So far all of my interviews were either Zoom, Skype, or a VA videoconferencing system. Next week, I have an interview that is phone only. The other interviews for next week are all Zoom. One of the sites gave the option of either phone or Zoom and I chose the latter. I would like the opportunity to see potential supervisors!

Reactions: 1 user
I still haven't heard from 9 sites. Anyone in a similar boat?
Yes. Some I am assuming are likely rejections as I read here that others have received interview invitations. I really appreciate the sites that send a rejection email so we don't have to wonder.

Reactions: 3 users
To all of you who had interviews at college counseling sites, wondering if any of you would be willing to share your experiences? Maybe some common questions or qualities they may look for in an applicant as per your experience? I don't see any threads on these topics plus it would be great to know some real experiences. Thanks so much!

Has anyone heard (or know of anyone who has heard) from the Center for Behavioral Medicine or San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health? Sorry if I missed someone posting these already!

Has anyone heard (or know of anyone who has heard) from the Center for Behavioral Medicine or San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health? Sorry if I missed someone posting these already!

I haven't heard from either of these two.

Just got a phone call from Ohio Psychology Internship for a phone interview on Tuesday.

I haven’t been on thread much since matching in Phase 1. So sorry for the late response. I interviewed there. Let me know if you want my impressions. Just DM me.

Have you all been sending follow up thank you e-mails after you interviews? I’ve heard mixed reviews on this.
I wouldn’t recommend it. It can look like people are trying too hard/desperately to leave a good impression if they feel the need to send thank you emails. The interview is plenty; a thank you email won’t sway anyone to pick you, and sometimes that is what a “thank you” email can look like. In fact, in an employment setting, I know of a situation in which someone sent a thank you email after being told he’d be contacted in a set number of days during the interview, and the site viewed his follow-up “thank you” as a breach of that agreement (a bit extreme, but shows that sites don’t necessarily like “thank yous” later on).

I’d suggest saying it at the end of the interview instead.

I have been. My thinking is that it can't hurt, but it could possibly help. I've kept them very brief, just thanking them for taking the time to speak with me. I've actually had several sites email me first and thank me, so I've just replied to those emails.

I would agree that a mutual, brief “thank you” is appropriate when initiated by a site’s follow-up email to an applicant. As I mentioned in the other post, it actually can look negative to send an unsolicited thank you email depending on the site (interpretation can range from positive to neutral to negative). Folks generally thank sites at the end of the interview already.

Last edited:
To all of you who had interviews at college counseling sites, wondering if any of you would be willing to share your experiences? Maybe some common questions or qualities they may look for in an applicant as per your experience? I don't see any threads on these topics plus it would be great to know some real experiences. Thanks so much!

I posted many commonly-asked questions in this thread:
Internship Interview Questions

I posted many commonly-asked questions in this thread:
Internship Interview Questions

Generally, college counseling sites want to know that you are culturally-competent, a hard worker able to manage a busy schedule, competent in practice and have a theoretical orientation, ethical/boundaried, pleasant to work with/“plays well with others,” capable of managing a mental health crisis/suicidality, and open to supervisor feedback (open to learning). They don’t want to see any red flags in those areas. They ask questions that get at these areas and are trying to feel out your personality in the interview.
Some sites were friendly and conversational and put me at ease in their questioning, others were so structured and impersonal that it felt like I was just another applicant on a conveyor belt. In the latter ones, you have to work harder to show them your personality without going overboard. All sites had some similar basic questions and then a few different ones. I prepped basic answers based on peers’ past interviews but made sure I added some authenticity in the moment so it wasn’t rote (they’ll know if it is; you’ll sound robotic).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody heard back from UIC, Georgia Tech, UNL, Notre Dame, Uni of California-Santa Cruz, State Uni of San Jose? I haven't heard back from any of the sites yet. Any of you think I should email them?

I am not sure if UNL is University of Nevada-Las Vegas, but I have heard from them.

Generally, college counseling sites want to know that you are culturally-competent, a hard worker able to manage a busy schedule, competent in practice and have a theoretical orientation, ethical/boundaried, pleasant to work with/“plays well with others,” capable of managing a mental health crisis/suicidality, and open to supervisor feedback (open to learning). They don’t want to see any red flags in those areas. They ask questions that get at these areas and are trying to feel out your personality in the interview.
Some sites were friendly and conversational and put me at ease in their questioning, others were so structured and impersonal that it felt like I was just another applicant on a conveyor belt. In the latter ones, you have to work harder to show them your personality without going overboard. All sites had some similar basic questions and then a few different ones. I prepped basic answers based on peers’ past interviews but made sure I added some authenticity in the moment so it wasn’t rote (they’ll know if it is; you’ll sound robotic).
So helpful! Thank you :)

Hey everyone! New here... has anyone interviewed at C&A Behavioral Health in Canton, Ohio or know someone who interviewed there in-person in phase I? I had my interview and am eager for more information/perspectives. I'm still waiting to receive the contact info for the current interns and I definitely plan on asking them about their experience, but with so little time left before we have to rank I thought I'd reach out here too.

Also if anyone has any perspective on the Canton/Akron, Ohio area in general I'd love to hear that as well! :) Feel free to message me.

Hey everyone! New here... has anyone interviewed at C&A Behavioral Health in Canton, Ohio or know someone who interviewed there in-person in phase I? I had my interview and am eager for more information/perspectives. I'm still waiting to receive the contact info for the current interns and I definitely plan on asking them about their experience, but with so little time left before we have to rank I thought I'd reach out here too.

Also if anyone has any perspective on the Canton/Akron, Ohio area in general I'd love to hear that as well! :) Feel free to message me.

I’m in the same boat as you. Interviewed and want to also know more info to help me with rankings.

I’m in the same boat as you. Interviewed and want to also know more info to help me with rankings.

I think I saw your post in the Phase I thread! Thought I'd give this thread a try just in case. Will certainly keep you posted if I hear anything elsewhere!

I am really hoping that sites are still reaching out this week. From what I heard, it looks like Phase II interviews can take place all the way up until the ranking deadline. Anyone else hear anything different?

Reactions: 2 users
I am really hoping that sites are still reaching out this week. From what I heard, it looks like Phase II interviews can take place all the way up until the ranking deadline. Anyone else hear anything different?
I'm also hoping for the same!This wait is bruuuuuutal!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have good information about these sites, please PM me:

Compass Health
Valley Oaks
Holcomb
Nevada - both south and north

Phone interviews are really hard to get enough information about sites...please help

Which Compass health location?

Northeast Oklahoma Center for Children, mass email just now. Interviews thursday and friday.

Personal email invite for interview 3/11, NPTC - Central Region Royal Oaks Hospital

Email invite from Western KY Psychology Internship Consortium.

Still waiting on:
San Bernardino County Dept of Bx Health
Center for Behavioral Medicine
Manhattan Psychiatric Center
Pilgrim Psychiatric Center

Email from Astor Services for Children and Families for phone interview - no date; told to monitor email closely this week...

Anyone heard from Massachusetts Mental Health Center or WJB Dorn VAMC?

Just a heads up - I've seen multiple posts (and I have posted myself) that they've been waiting to hear from San Bernardino County. I just got a missed call from San Bernardino, CA - which I'm almost certain is from the internship. They didn't leave a voicemail! So if you've been waiting to hear from them, I'd advise you to stay by your phone.

UPDATE: She called back and it was from the internship program!

Last edited:
Silence still from MMHC and Derner. Also, I just got an email from a site requesting a testing report and stating I should have sent it in the application. I saw that they requested it in the brochure but I thought we weren’t supposed to send in any supplemental materials in phase two. Any thoughts about how to go about this?

Silence still from MMHC and Derner. Also, I just got an email from a site requesting a testing report and stating I should have sent it in the application. I saw that they requested it in the brochure but I thought we weren’t supposed to send in any supplemental materials in phase two. Any thoughts about how to go about this?

I would personally email Dr. Greg Keilin and ask his opinion. I do not necessarily see the harm in sending a supplemental but it is definitely inaccurate that you were initially expected to send one for Phase II.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone heard from Massachusetts Mental Health Center or WJB Dorn VAMC?
I got a mass email Friday afternoon from Dorn about a phone interview with dates offered on a first come first serve basis.

I remember reading in one of the APPIC emails that we were not supposed to send any supplementals in the initial application but that sites could request supplementals after reviewing applications. I believe the same email stated we could email these to the sites when requested.

I would personally email Dr. Greg Keilin and ask his opinion. I do not necessarily see the harm in sending a supplemental but it is definitely inaccurate that you were initially expected to send one for Phase II.
I remember reading somewhere that you do not submit supplemental material through aapi but you may have to email them additional material as requested.

Phone call from San Bernardino County Dept. of Behavioral Health with an invitation to interview with time options on Wednesday and Thursday.

Ughhh what did you say (or the gist)? A friend of mine got this same question. I’m trying to come up with a response in case I get it.
I told them that I was geographically picky and did not rank many sites because I felt they weren't the right match for me and knew there would be great sites in round two.

I remember reading somewhere that you do not submit supplemental material through aapi but you may have to email them additional material as requested.
That is correct. I was specifically told by my training department that you do not send any supplemental materials with the initial application. Only after, if they request it. This is also stated on the APPIC website instructions.

Guys...I'm having mixed feelings about this phase now. I've had a few interviews at this point and it is SO hard to get a feel for the program. Also, it may just be me being reserved, but I also feel like it's been hard during 30 minute (or so) interviews to let the sites get to know me. These interviews have been interesting. Anyone else feeling the same?

Reactions: 5 users
Rejection UCFS. Legitimately pleased to get rejection emails because at least I know. :shrug: