1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by PhoenixFire, Aug 17, 2017.

1. penguin1234

Hey guys!! What do you guys think the best non GEP school is in Ireland? I know a lot of people go to RCSI but I'm not quite sure if its the best or if they just take in the most applicants but does anyone know which school seems the best/ which one has the best chance and rankings of coming back to Canada or residency in general?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else find it suspicious how ABP keeps saying that 'the end of march to mid april' is when first round offers are conducted but the schools are sending stuff out now ? Even when I called ABP and directly asked them 'why are people getting offers so early' they said that nobody should have received an offer yet.

4. CleverAdvisor

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe it's that most people should expect to hear by the end of march to early april?
    The initial offers have been consistent with last year

5. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    Yeah i've seen a trend with the schools over the last few years. I just am curious why ABP doesn't tell us something like 'hey, offers started going out.'. This is just because the admissions office from ABP are the ones that typically send the emails out, at least from what I hear.

6. xanoistic

I got a conditional offer for RCSI’s 6 year program

7. ealqa

Pre-Medical
    May i ask what the average that you have to maintain is?

8. ealqa

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know when UCD starts sending out the 6-year program acceptances/rejections?

9. xanoistic

I have to graduate with at least an 80%

10. xanoistic

If I’m not wrong they’re later with their decisions, between late March- early April

11. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

Yeah you’re right. A big chunk of the first rounds will be concluded in March

12. canadianmedhopeful07

Pre-Medical
    i'm so nervous and can't stop checking my email every day! i applied to all of the 4 year gem programs with a 3.20(out of 4.0) GPA and 505 MCAT score, strong ECs (president of student clubs, highly involved with student governance, over 600 hours of volunteering, research and almost published, but have presented 2 posters at number of conferences) and outstanding letters of recommendation. Was not accepted in Canada or US MD schools, so applied kind of late in cycle - close to February 16th. What are my chances?

#261 canadianmedhopeful07, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

We’re all there together. I read in the 2017 ABP thread that a few people with similar or worse stats than you got in. Best of luck !

14. canadianmedhopeful07

Pre-Medical
    Thanks that makes feel a lil better! Hypothetically, if I were to have silence by April, can I send ABP an updated transcript? do you know how that works, cause I'm hoping to pull up my GPA a few points this semester.

15. CleverAdvisor

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    no, if you get an acceptance they will require you to get/maintain a certain grade though

Rojo063 likes this.
  16. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

They only care about “final” grades. So, if you graduate your class and have a final mark send them that.

In the mean time drown your sorrows in a bucket of this stuff:

It’s amazing and only like ~250cal per pint.

On another note, has anyone been so stressed they’ve been dropping weight ? I’m down 21lbs . I guess it’s better than gaining weight haha.

canadianmedhopeful07 likes this.
  17. ealqa

Pre-Medical
    For the canadians out there...
    Are any of you worried about finding a residency after med school?
    How are you planning to finance this whole thing?

Rojo063 likes this.
  18. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

Thats so funny, im starting to type up a monster of a post to help everyone out about that. Give me like 5-10 minutes.

19. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    I just spoke with TD Canada Trust about paying for International Medical Schools. Some of you may have already gathered enough information on the subject but this is for all of the lurkers out there who may need some guidance.

After calling TD's over-the-phone financial advisor I was discussing the nature of international medical schools. Typically to receive a Professional Student Line of Credit you need to be participating in a 4 year MD/DO/MBBS program. I informed him that NA applicants who apply internationally through ABP are subject to entering either the 6 5 or 4 year programs. Fortunately, the bank (TD) has experience with dealing with the ABP. He informed me that typically Admitted-MD students typically are allotted 50,000 CAD annually to afford the cost of living, tuition and other expenses they may encounter. I was discussing the shear cost of tuition alone with him and he said that typically the judicators will be able to adjust the allotment so that it can better fit the student doctors needs. He went on to say that he has seen people get anywhere from 55,000-65,000 CAD a year for expenses including tuition. All you need to do to keep recieving money is to keep showing that you're still enrolled with the school. He brought up that a common misconception is that student will have to take out both a PSLoC (Professional Student Line of Credit) and a Student Loan. Fortunately, this isn't the case. To make everyone's life easier the bank prefers to keep all 'outgoing money' under one section, in this case it's the PSLoC. For a student to get a line of credit this vast they need a co-signer. He said its basically mandatory because they need some degree of collateral if you weren't successful as a student or if something unforeseeable happened. Also, how much money you get per year almost solely depends on your co-signer and how much equity they have to 'dip' in to, if the need arises. So, I used the example that ABP gave for tuition costs. For the 5 year UCC program is costs around 38,000 Euro a year. 38,000 Euro x 5 year into CAD is around $300,000. Now, the bank then said they will charge "Prime" + 1% in interest on the money that is taken out of your line of credit. The prime rate right now at TD is 3.450% + the 1%. This will work out to be around 15-20k CAD in interest over the 5 year long period. Also, you will only be charged on how much you take out of your line of credit. Additionally, with TD (im unsure about other banks), they said that they will only start looking to get their money back one year after you finish residency. This is pretty good in my opinion. If you complete a residency you can start pumping money into your line of credit while you still have the 4.45% interest rate. If you're unsuccessful with obtaining a residency the bank will come after you and/or your co-signer for money. So, get a residency wherever you can!! The "Prime" interest rate is subject to change, so, if it goes up then you pay more in interest and vice versa if it goes down. Unfortunately there's no options for fixed interest rates. You will also need to have medical liability coverage to get your line of credit as well. Typically schools will provide you with 1,000,000 in liability when you're enrolled with them and TD said that the liability amount offered by the schools is sufficient.

*Also with the line of credit, you have to continuously pay off the interest each month to continue to get more money. So, sell all your worldly possessions and dump the money into your interest, or just ask mom and dad. Whichever is easier! I personally plan on selling my (dream) car. It's going to be sad seeing her go!

** Regarding USMD Ivy League schools (just for monetary comparison) , the banks are accustomed in dealing with big tuition costs as well. They assured me that they will do whatever they can to get you the money. After all, they're making a fortune off of you :dead:

#268 Rojo063, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. goodvibes99

Pre-Medical
    Got accepted into RCSI's 5 year program, conditional upon maintaining at least a B average.
    For future applicants, here was my general timeline of events prior to my receipt of admission:
    -Applied mid-October (including references, personal statement essay, etc. Everything except my Fall marks from my first semester at uni in Canada which were set to be released at the end of January as per my university. The application itself was due mid-November, and I was told my file wouldn't be "complete" until the marks were in, which was around mid-Jan.)
    -I was in contact on and off with a member of AB throughout the process just for general questions and to follow up on if they received my documents, etc. (Because there was a time they asked if I could send an unofficial screenshot of my Fall marks in early January, for example.)
    -Jan 24 is when I got an email from AB saying that RCSI would like to invite me for an interview
    -Early February is when I got a confirmation email from RCSI saying that my interview is confirmed for the date I requested, and that the supplemental application I filled out online was received (available approximately 2 weeks after scheduling the interview)
    -The interviews they conducted in Toronto happened on the three days from Feb 27-March 1, you get to pick whichever date and time you like, provided the spots are available
    -2 days ago (March 8) I received my conditional offer. So long as I achieve an average of at least a B, I should be all set to go in September!
    Hope this helps! :)

#269 goodvibes99, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  21. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    EZPZ you got this !

goodvibes99 and Sandy145 like this.
  22. CleverAdvisor

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So ABP let you know you have an interview at RCSI before RCSI told you they have received your application and would contact you if you're offered an interview?

23. goodvibes99

Pre-Medical
    Sorry! What I meant by my application being complete was about the supplemental application with all my information! Two weeks after scheduling the interview they sent me a link to an application that was required to be completed before the interview itself. So that's what that email was about. :) sorry for any confusion

24. Nonsibisedomnibus

Pre-Medical
    Rejected to RCSI on Wednesday
    Stats: 509
    GPA: 3.4
    Applied: Mid-October
    Interviewed: Yes (Feb 24th)

25. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    Well.. We’re about to enter another 5 days of anticipation! Best of luck to everyone these coming weekdays! I hope we all get what we’re looking for in this cycle! Don’t forget to keep the rest of us updated!

26. penguin1234

Hey does this mean that we are going to be hearing back from all of the other schools this week other than RCSI?

Armadillo1234 likes this.
  27. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    Just comparing our cycle to previous ones, maybe. I wish I could tell indefinitely though. I just think that they (all schools) do all of their offers on week days.

28. HL94

Pre-Medical
    Do you know if waitlisting happens after an interview, before, or it could be either?

29. luke ghouti

Pre-Medical
    I wish that Atlantic Bridge could give us some sort of timeline -- considering that they've been doing this for over a decade!

Rojo063 likes this.
  30. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

You go on a waitlist when all of the seats for that particular school are filled. You essentially “passed” their requirements but they just found subjectively better applicants. You still have a shot though, people will forfeit their seats due to getting accepted elsewhere, financial issues, or social issues ( homesick, lack of family/friend support in Ireland vs home, less comforts ( ex. No Tim Hortons for us Canadians ))

31. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

I asked them about that before and they said that the schools decide when to send letters of acceptance and IIs out. They essentially don’t want anxious applicants calling them constantly because the schools didn’t release their letters on time as promised. I totally agree with you though.

32. A future MD named JD

what are the chances of someone from canada getting in with a 3.1 undergraduate cgpa and a 3.7 grad school cgpa? didn't write the mcat, not really planning on it, have some decent ECs though. applied to 5 and 6 year programs at trinity and ucd. haven't heard anything yet. be honest, all insight is appreciated

33. ealqa

Pre-Medical
    From my understanding, they will look at your highschool marks for the six year program, not sure about the 5 yr one.

34. CleverAdvisor

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why don't you write the MCAT? Even if it doesn't affect your application it will give you a good idea whether you will be successful with the heavy load of medical school

35. goodvibes99

Pre-Medical
    When I went in for my interview for RCSI, I asked about how difficult it is to get residency after the 5 years and the guy said that they had a 100% success rate for all International students (in terms of them successfully getting a residency position).

Sandy145 and ealqa like this.
  36. AT3

AT3

Surely this can't be correct.

To be honest I'm having trouble finding matching statistics for the Irish schools back to Canada.

37. DrLeenient

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if offers will be initially sent through email or regular mail?

38. ealqa

Pre-Medical
    Email

39. registerednurse1992

Non-Student
    The woman I spoke to said as soon as a decision is made, you’ll be notified via e-mail.

40. bshepard

Pre-Medical
    Update from the ABP office: only RCSI and 5y UCC have announced first-round decisions. This may or may not be new to a few of you, so I thought I'd share just in case. Also - if you're like me and find yourself thinking about UL, it's not too late to add UL to your application.

Time to go back to biting my nails and compulsively checking my email every 5 minutes... :dead:

rzilla and luke ghouti like this.
  41. Rojo063

Pre-Medical

Has UCC completed their first round decisions ?

I'm honestly hoping that there's a lot of crossed information at ABP. Every time I contacted them they said first rounds were to be going on until late march-early april.

#290 Rojo063, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  42. bshepard

Pre-Medical
    I can't say if they have "completed" their first round decisions, but I was told that they have announced for their 5-year program (not 4-year, grad entry).

43. Armadillo1234

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone heard back from UCC yet? If not, when should we expect to hear back from them?

penguin1234 likes this.
  44. Mat0000

I have received acceptances for 5 ys Program at UCC, I am schools leaver( just finished grade 12 IB)

45. Mat0000

Any one going to UCC please share info on accomodation etc

46. thatiswhat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That is definitely an over-exaggeration. I do not think any Irish school has ever had a match rate of 100%. On average, most of the schools have a match rate of around 80% back to North America but this fluctuates every year. For CaRMS specifically, the match rate for the 1st Iteration is probably between 50 to 60% (still much higher than the IMG average of 20%). Also this doesn't account for all the people who choose not to apply each year for a variety of reasons.

47. JD_01

Pre-Medical
    Any UL interviews? I got one in Toronto. Didn't hear anything from other GEMs. I like that it is the cheapest out of the 4 GEM schools.

chocotart, rzilla and MD_T like this.
  48. MD_T

Pre-Medical
    Congrats on your interview :D
    I'm still waiting to hear back from any GEM Schools. How long ago did you hear from UL? Thanks!

#297 MD_T, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  49. JD_01

Pre-Medical
    Yesterday. They gave us until Friday to book an interview for April.

MD_T and Rojo063 like this.
  50. Rojo063

Pre-Medical
    So far I've gathered that people have been hearing back from UCC for acceptances, RCSI for acceptances and Interviews and UL for interviews. Has anybody heard back from NUI-G or UCD ?

m2e0d1i8cine likes this.
  51. rzilla

Pre-Medical
    Hey, do you mind sharing the interview dates in Toronto? Thanks