ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I'm interviewing at TUCOM-Nevada on Feb 2nd and then ATSU/SOMA Arizona on Feb 18th. Does anyone have any examples of questions asked for the interview? Any fellow Michiganders going to be interviewing as well? Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those already accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm interviewing at TUCOM-Nevada on Feb 2nd and then ATSU/SOMA Arizona on Feb 18th. Does anyone have any examples of questions asked for the interview? Any fellow Michiganders going to be interviewing as well? Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those already accepted!

Check out the Interview Feedback :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

for tucom. why DO, why henderson, and how would you fix health care(what would you tell the president if you were his advisor?)

Has anyone who interviewed on Jan 14 heard anything yet.

I got the phone call yesterday morning as well. Fantastic school with the nicest staff, I can't wait for the acceptance packet.

I am interviewing the 4th too. Any suggestions on Hotel or are you interested in splitting a cab/car. it looks like there might be a hotel within a mile.

im interested ill pm you with a number to text/ contact me at i probably wont be able to respond until after 7pm central time today or wednsday though

I'll be joining you on Feb. 4th and I am very excited! Good luck to everyone who has interviewed and is waiting and to those of us interviewing! :)

I am interviewing the 4th too. Any suggestions on Hotel or are you interested in splitting a cab/car. it looks like there might be a hotel within a mile.

Don't pay for a cab, stay at La Quinta on Superstition or Country Inns and suites also on superstition...I'm pretty sure they both have a free shuttle service that will drive you anywhere within 5 miles (school is less than 5 miles from there). Take a card and they will come pick you up. Free. :) Just let the person at the front desk know when and where you have to go. Thats what I did last year when I interviewed :)

Good luck!!

Don't pay for a cab, stay at La Quinta on Superstition or Country Inns and suites also on superstition...I'm pretty sure they both have a free shuttle service that will drive you anywhere within 5 miles (school is less than 5 miles from there). Take a card and they will come pick you up. Free. :) Just let the person at the front desk know when and where you have to go. Thats what I did last year when I interviewed :)

Good luck!!

damn i got days inn for a bit over 60 a night and its about 2 miles from school

Does anyone know anything about match list for this years graduating class. This information is vital in making my decision to attend this school or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about match list for this years graduating class. This information is vital in making my decision to attend this school or not.

You'll have to wait until February 14th.

edit: for AOA. Mid-March for ACGME

Last edited:

Good luck!!

that is exactly the advice i needed! thank you, you just saved me a great deal of stress and money! how did you get to the hotel from the airport?

hehe, im also debating on whether or not i want to interview at soma for feb 4...decisions decisions!

hehe, im also debating on whether or not i want to interview at soma for feb 4...decisions decisions!

If anything I'll sign up for the 18th, the 4th seems a little too soon. Where else have you been accepted?

Whatever you both (badmintondr and sinfest) decide, the best of luck to you! :)

You too. Own the interview on Friday :)

Hey everybody - I'm a second year at SOMA at the Brooklyn campus. I got an email from admissions asking if I would answer a prospective student's questions. I ended up writing a lot and thought it might be useful to post my response here. First are the student's questions, and following each question is my response.

1) First off, tell me about yourself. Where are you from? What made you choose ATSU-SOMA? Why DO?
(some biographical information omitted)...The hospitals I volunteered at all had DO's and MD's, of course, and I always felt comfortable around them and in fact found most of the DO's very easy to get along with. I just felt comfortable around them. With that in mind, I just wanted to be a physician, so I added DO schools to the list of MD schools I was applying to. Another plus was that ATSU made a presentation to my undergrad and explained about a new school that was opening up - SOMA. I liked what I heard from the beginning - early clinical experience, working with the underserved, and a new pedagogic approach - the clinical presentation model. The more I found out, the more I liked. I didn't make any final decisions after interviews, however. I interviewed at PCOM, Midwestern-Chicago, Midwestern-AZCOM, and of course SOMA. I was accepted at all of these places, and to be honest had the hardest time choosing between SOMA - where everything was new, and CCOM and PCOM, where everything was very traditional and rock-solid, time tested, etc. In the end, I decided that I would do better at SOMA, and took the plunge.

I am very happy with my decision, although I know that CCOM and PCOM are great schools and that I would probably have been very happy there as well. 1st year is a bear to get through at SOMA, but this 2nd year I have had quite a bit of freedom - of course most of the presentations are over the internet, so you decide when/how to do them. In addition, I do 8 hours of clinic/hospital work each week, 4 at my "clinical home" in the CHC, and 4 at the hospital in various specialties.
2) Part of the reason I am interested in ATSU-SOMA is to go to _________ for my 2nd-4th year. How much control do I have over where I go?
They will explain the selection process to you in your interview, and it may change by the time you get there. It's basically a mini-match process - you rank the sites and it goes into a lottery, much like the process at KCOM. At SOMA, however, the CHC's (Community Health Centers - where you will be for year two) also have a say. If you have a relationship with one of the CHC's before you start year one, and they like you, they will be able to tell the administration in Mesa, who can step in ahead of the lottery and give you a spot at that CHC. So while there are no guarantees - and you shouldn't come to SOMA unless you are comfortable with the idea of not ending up at your number one spot - you can do a LOT to get to where you want to go.
3) As ATSU-SOMA is a non-traditional program, I am concerned about how well the school prepares you for boards, especially doing your 2nd year at a community health center. Do you find you are prepared?
I feel like board-prep wise, no matter where you go, you are going to have to learn medicine on your own. I personally think that SOMA's approach to doing this has facilitated that for me. Some people might find, however, that a more traditional curriculum works better for them.

Let me make an analogy that may help you decide what kind of learner you are - the boards and medical knowledge in general in this analogy are represented by a painting, a work of art. The approach that most schools have (traditionally) is to give you small pieces of the painting one at a time - like a puzzle. For example - the first puzzle pieces you might get might be anatomy and biochemistry. The small part of the painting that is on these pieces is perfectly in focus - but you only get to see a part of the whole painting. As you go through classes, adding puzzle pieces - microbiology, pathology, endocrinology, etc, you gradually get to see the big, clinical picture.

SOMA's approach to this "medical painting" is to do away with the puzzle pieces, and to show you the whole painting at once. Of course it would be impossible to do so in the fullest level of detail, so while you do see the whole picture, there is a lot of detail missing. You get the idea of the painting - the clinical picture - but it isn't completely in focus at first. So you have an idea of where you are going, but at the same time, you have to be comfortable not knowing all the details for a while. Then, the more modules you do, and as you enter clinic in second year, the big picture slowly comes more into focus until you fill in the blanks with those details.

So you can see that some people might be more comfortable with one scenario or the other. You really have to decide which kind of person you are - do you need all the details right away, and are comfortable not knowing where you are headed with the details (traditional schools), or do you need to at least have a vague idea of the "big picture" before you embark on learning all of the details of said picture? (SOMA) Right now, I am at the point where a lot of things are coming together, and my picture is becoming more and more focused, and it is very satisfying.​
4) Going along with question 3, I am interested in the effectiveness of distance education. How is that structured, and do you feel like you are learning the material you need to? Do you find your clinical experience to be a good compliment to your education?
I love distance learning. We definitely do have all the resources we need. We get powerpoints and video lectures, and have assigned readings - and you end up looking stuff up a lot online/in board review books. That's really all you need, if not more than you need. I love going to study at coffee shops, or our classroom, or at the NY public library in Manhattan. I also love studying whenever I want - my wife and I had a son this second year, and the flexibility with class has been immensely helpful.

As far as the structure - I'll use my week this week as a sample.

Monday - we met together and got a mini-lecture in person about this weeks' topics, for example, this week we are talking about lymphadenopathy and splenomegaly. So our learning facilitator talked about how he approaches these things clinically, and some of the basic science behind them. Then, we had the rest of the day to study - some of us from BK did some board prep together. I did some of this weeks' powerpoints later that night.

Tuesday - I studied more powerpoints in the morning before heading out to my clinical home for 4 hours in the afternoon. Today, I saw cases of urinary frequency, HIV, Diabetes, Hypertension, and just routine physical exams. This is all stuff that I learned last year or earlier this year - so it was a great review of that stuff. Not every day in the clinic is going to be perfect - whenever we have a patient with a rash or other derm problem, it is difficult, since we haven't done or Dermatology unit yet. And you also realize how much you have forgotten from year one (yikes) But I am getting more comfortable with patients and am getting much better with exam skills. I like my medical home.

Wednesday - I'll go to Labor and Delivery in the hospital tomorrow morning from 7-12. We do morning report, where the residents talk about the status of patients they had since yesterday/last night, and where the attending physicians ask the residents/medical students questions related to the cases - again, since we already did Genitourinary, this is all a review of material that I learned earlier this year. In L&D I've mostly observed C-sections. Again, it is hit or miss - some of my classmates have helped to deliver babies/placentas, etc, but it seems like most of the days that I go no one is having babies, haha. After the hospital, I'll go study more powerpoints from this week.

Thursday - Powerpoint study in the morning, then in the afternoon we'll have "small group" with our learning facilitator. We get 4 cases early in the week that relate to that week's powerpoints/topic. So this week's cases are a variety of patients presenting with lymphadenopathy and splenectomy. In small group we discuss how we would diagnose the patients, and the facilitator reveals more and more details about the patient - lab results, clinical exam results, etc. I usually like small group. After it is over I'll do more powerpoints.

Friday - Osteopathic Principles and Practice - DO stuff - from 9-12/12:30. After that - more powerpoint study time.

Saturday - 1/2 day for family time, the other 1/2 will be board study/review of the week's powerpoints.

Sunday - 1/2 day of family time, the other 1/2 will be board study/preview of next week's topics.​
5) In general, what do you dislike and like about the school?
Hopefully from all of the above you can get an idea of what I like about the school - the autonomy, independent study time, ability to shape your own education but with enough structure that guides you along and provides direction, great supportive faculty, plus being with patients during year two.

Here's what I dislike -

There are a LOT of Caribbean medical students here in NYC. While you can definitely get a great education, many attending physicians are tired of working with so many students. I have had a few simply tell me that they were too busy to work with students that day. I doubt this would happen at a University-affiliated hospital.

Another thing - not all the physicians understand why a 2nd year is in their office/OR. Some get it and are great teachers, and give you opportunities to do procedures. Others kind of treat you like a premed shadow and you end up just standing in the corner. I think it is mostly because the hospital here is so huge that some of the physicians aren't familiar with our school's 2nd year clinical experience model, even though they probably received an email or were supposed to have heard about us in some meeting or another. I think as our program gets more well known, that they will get more and more used to having us 2nd years around.

On the other hand, the fact that there are so many Carib. students can be to our advantage as SOMA students, since we are here in the same hospital for 3 years, whereas the Caribbean students hospital hop around NYC, and the whole country for that matter. So we have a lot more time to get to know the attendings, build relationships, etc. A lot of the physicians that are familiar with our program have really taken us under their wing and consider us SOMA students "their" medical students. They like that we are here for all three years. When applying to residencies here at Lutheran hospital, you have a great advantage, as you have been here for so long. There are surgery, OB/GYN, IM, and family medicine residencies here. It would be surprising if a Brooklyn SOMA student with at least an average application wasn't given an interview after applying to one of the Lutheran residencies.

I also get tired of having to explain where our school is and why it is in Arizona, etc. And what a DO is.​

6) Do you feel like you share camaraderie with your peers, both from Arizona and Brooklyn?
During year one, I had made a few really close study buddies, and got along well enough with most of my classmates. The whole class shared notes, study materials, etc. I felt comfortable asking almost anyone for help.

When we saw the final list of who was going to NYC during first year, I didn't have high hopes for the group, haha. None of us really hung out with each other, and we all had pretty different personalities. I didn't doubt that we would be congenial to each other, but didn't really expect much more than a professional relationship. However, it has turned out to be very different than what I expected - we all go out to eat in Manhattan or downtown BK at least once a month, and have all become very close. When my son was born, all the NYC classmates gave my wife and me a very generous gift - we were really touched. We've also been celebrating each of the classmates' birthdays by going out to eat. I definitely feel at least comfortable with each of my NYC classmates, and feel very close to most of them. It has been very pleasantly surprising.

I think any group of people going through something very difficult together can either band together and help each other or go for each others' throats. For what it's worth, I feel like the NYC learning facilitators did a great job of encouraging us to get together outside of class and to just be friends. At the beginning of the year, we toured all of the CHC's here in the Lutheran system and ate out a lot, on SOMA's dime. We also had the assignment of going on a scavenger hunt in Manhattan as a group and taking pictures, which started out as an assignment, something we had to do, but ended up being really fun. We also have a required Community Health Lecture series once a month which the upperclassmen also attend, which has been a great way of asking them for advice, and meeting with our third year assigned mentors.

Most of us from NYC are going to the AMSA's national conference in Washington DC this April and are looking forward to seeing some classmates from the other sites as well.​
7) Lastly, any advise for my interview?
For the interview - it's cliche - but just be yourself. They like you on paper, they just want to get to know you now. Be nice - be interested in your interviewers, ask questions about them, what they do, their areas of specialty/research, etc. I felt like my interview, anyway, was very relaxed.

The admissions philosophy was to help you be as comfortable as possible, because they know it's hard to really be you if you're all nervous. I know you know this already, too, but really emphasize any experience you've had with Community Health Centers. That is what we are all about, after all.

If you're asked an ethical situation, don't be afraid to take sides, if you have one, but be sure to show them that you understand both sides of the issue. And have an answer to "Why DO" and "Why SOMA."

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of those questions Bruce :)

Just to let everyone know I spoke to AT Still today and they told me that they are only half full right now.

Just to let everyone know I spoke to AT Still today and they told me that they are only half full right now.

I spoke with them yesterday and got the same news, so it looks like we're in good shape. Here's to hoping everyone who wants to get in gets in! :)

I would not go to ATSU-SOMA if I were you. This school is a 1:3 medical school, instead of the traditional 2:2 medical school. The faculty are not as helpful as they told everyone during the interview. The school has racism and politic issues. The school lacks anatomy lab. Its anatomy lab is made of previously dissected body parts that look like "beef jerky". Compare to a student who were to attend a 2:2 medical school, you cannot build a strong basic science foundation in this school because of the quick pace of the materials.

DON'T GO HERE!!! If you get accepted to another medical school, go there instead of here!

Thank you for taking your time to share with us, Bruce. After reading your post, I'm even more excited about ATSU-SOMA. If you could please share with us what you know about each CHC. It would be great to know rumors, facts, etc. about the pluses and negatives of each site.

Thank you again.

If you're interested in a specific CHC, you can call or email admissions and they will give you email addresses of student ambassadors that are at that CHC. I really don't know enough about the other CHC's to comment on them.

If you're interested in a specific CHC, you can call or email admissions and they will give you email addresses of student ambassadors that are at that CHC. I really don't know enough about the other CHC's to comment on them.
hey bruce, i sent you a pm because i wanted to get your opinion on the brooklyn chc.

I would not go to ATSU-SOMA if I were you. This school is a 1:3 medical school, instead of the traditional 2:2 medical school. The faculty are not as helpful as they told everyone during the interview. The school has racism and politic issues. The school lacks anatomy lab. Its anatomy lab is made of previously dissected body parts that look like "beef jerky". Compare to a student who were to attend a 2:2 medical school, you cannot build a strong basic science foundation in this school because of the quick pace of the materials.
but i love beef jerky!

My friend wasn't rejected. He was one of the student at ATSU-SOMA and warned me not to go there, so I did not apply there. On contrarily, I got accepted to 6 other DO programs and I'm currently enrolled in one of them. I'm just letting people know that they will be disappointed if they went to ATSU-SOMA.

Basically you have no idea what your talking about then...post = fail :thumbdown:. Everything I've heard and read about SOMA has been refreshing and optimistic. There will always be people who don't like a school for one reason or another.

Plus your education does not stop after year 1. It is put upon YOUR shoulders to educate yourself in year 2. Apparently that is a style you would not thrive under. Best of luck!!

Hey, if anyone here has a question about the curriculum, living arrangements, or legitimate concerns/anxiety about attending ATSU-SOMA...just ask...I'm a second year.

just got out of my interview really liked the school, met a lot of cool people and really like the school, all my worries from the stuff I had read on here were settled I hope I get an acceptance here

My friend wasn't rejected. He was one of the student at ATSU-SOMA and warned me not to go there, so I did not apply there. On contrarily, I got accepted to 6 other DO programs and I'm currently enrolled in one of them. I'm just letting people know that they will be disappointed if they went to ATSU-SOMA.

are you sure you arent trying to talk people out of accepting?

just got out of my interview really liked the school, met a lot of cool people and really like the school, all my worries from the stuff I had read on here were settled I hope I get an acceptance here

I felt the same way: the staff was so nice and approachable and the students seemed genuinely happy :) I hope we both get an acceptance here.

1. Your friend obviously did not explain the program to you properly.
Many of us picked this school because it is a "1:3 school" as you put it. What this means is that we cover about a year and a half's worth of material in 12 months in Mesa. Then, you have the very unique opportunity to spend your last 3 years with about 9 other classmates at various other locations around the country where you continue taking classes, start getting direct clinical experience (each CHC differs slightly on what exactly this means). This is an incredible opportunity to get a heads up on rotations. Also, because we learn everything in a clinical context, we get a heads up on things like reading ECGs, x-rays, etc. in our first year...

Several of the Doctors that work as facilitators in Mesa have told us that our program will give us a great benefit when we get into clinicals because they didn't learn a lot of this stuff until year 3 or 4, if not residency. We also get simulated clinical experience during our first year, where they hire patients to come in and we run histories and physicals on them for tests...another thing that for instance U of A doesn't do until you are a 2nd year. By your second year here, you will be running histories on real patients...in real clinics.

2. I don't even know what you are talking about with racism. Our class is the extremely diverse and accepting of one another. This might have been a personal problem that your friend had.

3. Most faculty members are extremely helpful, willing to talk with students, get feedback, and adjust their styles to meet our learning needs. They look out for the best for us and their main goal is making our education the best it can be. Everyone has a few professors that they like more than others...but find me a medical school that every student absolutely loves every professor.

4. We have an anatomy lab. So this just proves you have no idea. The school has been working to improve the anatomy experience even more. It is true that we use prosected cadavers...which means that the cadavers have already been dissected and the areas you are going to study are there for you. I, personally, thought this was a great plus to the school. Other schools i visited said that they had to spend 15-20 hours a week cutting open cadavers. I can't imagine losing all of that study time to a dead body. I personally have done dissection before, so it didn't bother me not doing it again. However, this year they started offering students the opportunity to come in in groups and dissect fresh cadavers on their own time. A lot of my classmates have decided to do this. The school has also purchased cyber anatomy (which is way better than any cadaver--and way less stinky/gooey/gross) and a new computer dissecting program...that still shows you way more than cadavers. Our anatomy profs have been improving the anatomy experience all year..making it more clinical, relevant, and educational for us.

5. Since you have never attended a class here, I dont think you can judge our curriculum and the amount of basic sciences that we do here. I don't know if your friend is from a previous year or not, but our class has had extended basic sciences from previous years...a lot of it being in our first principles of medicine course...where we had 7 weeks solid of nothing but basic science. Ever since then, we run through modules, and learn the basic science in the context of clinical situations. Again, you are still learning didactic material your second year too...but you also are doing clinicals and studying for boards.

6. Your friend sounds bitter. Most likely they did not or are not doing well with our program. It is a unique program, with a unique way of learning. It doesn't work for everyone. Also, it is still a rather new school, you have to come in with the expectation that there might still be a few kinks...but again, find me a med school where every single student is glowing and happy about every aspect of their education. we are whiners and type A's. end of story.

Hope that was helpful for anyone reading :) Let me know if you have questions! I'm happy to help, and answer honestly. :)

Has anyone that interviewed on Jan14 still not heard anything yet.

For those of you looking to interview or are just curious, I interviewed on the 4th of April and they told us that they had a little over 90 acceptances out. They plan on issuing over 200, somewhere in the neighborhood of 240. This is to fill a class size of 107.

also if you can make it, I would recommend going to the "social" the night before the interview. I met one of the fauculty members who interviewed me the next day. Be prepared to eat before or after though, as it is more of a snack not a dinner.

Got the call today. Accepted!!!! So excited. Interviewed 2/4