ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone, I'm going down to interview on Feb 18th. Those who will be with me, best of luck!

For those interviewing on the 18th, when were your secondaries complete (if you don't mine me asking)?

SLC

Members don't see this ad.

interviewed on feb 4 and got accepted yesterday (feb 11) with a phone call. i am dropping my acceptance to western in pomona, ca & withdrawing interviews at nova, and that's all ive heard from so far. but def doing soma.

everything about it was outstanding.
they have two kinds of anatomy labs one with a real cadaver for those hannibal lovers and one with a pre-cut model so u don't have to waste your time taking the skin apart and just learn it on demand. perfect.

they also have this patient simulation room where these plastic human patients talk to you and blink at you and cough in pain....like something out of star trek, but wow it was cool. they even BLEED and you can inject the right medicine in them.

the whole atmosphere was awesome, i pulled aside a couple students that went there just to see how they feel about the school off the record and all of them had nothing to complain about. the one negative thing that they said was students become so close together their first year that it's sad that they all have to spread out in CHCs in the nation.....but if that's the only thing they complain about then this school is in great shape haha.

cant wait to start. cant wait to finish. for those of you who are waiting keep your head up, they also have a RANKED wait list and they will tell you if you are HIGH, MED, LOW on the waitlist....so it's not over until that nice lady sings....just don't give up guys... sooner or later the right thing will happen in your life.

Last edited:
I wanted to thank everyone for all their support and encouragement. I interviewed on Feb. 4th and got the phone call yesterday 4/11, 20 minutes after reznelson posted. I will definitely be attending! :)

I have to agree with WestHaven: everything about the school was great. The staff really cared about the students, the students were all happy, and the atmosphere was not competitive at all. The education model is new and unique, and I feel it will suit my learning style.

I sincerely hope everyone who really wants to go gets in. To those interviewing on Feb 18th, good luck:luck: If you have any questions about the interview, feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats west/smiling! I agree with your statements. School just seemed to fit my style perfectly. See you guys in July!

Interviewed 2/4. Got the call of acceptance 2/11. Woop Woop.

Interviewed 2/4 and accepted on 2/11!!!

I am accepting at ATSU-SOMA! So excited!!!! See you all in July!

Congrats to everyone accepted!

Under secondaries: List verifiable clinic/health related experience for which you were FINANCIALLY compensated:

Did you guys just list your daily duties or explain your experience's and emotions under that section.

And same for: List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar).

Just dont know if I did it right?
Thank you

Congrats to everyone accepted!

Under secondaries: List verifiable clinic/health related experience for which you were FINANCIALLY compensated:

Did you guys just list your daily duties or explain your experience's and emotions under that section.

And same for: List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar).

Just dont know if I did it right?
Thank you

I just did a pretty basic description. Like you would on a CV.

I just did a pretty basic description. Like you would on a CV.

I did the same. I basically stated what I did, what I learned, and how it will help me in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
But you went in-depth under your essay questions

Also congrats on your acceptance. Awesome!!!

Does anyone mind sharing what your stats were for those of you who were accepted to ATSU-SOMA?

But you went in-depth under your essay questions

Thanks a lot!! I wrote a 3-4 sentence description of my responsibilities, 1 sentence on what I learned and 1 sentence on how it will help me.

Does anyone know where we can get the books for first year or class syllabus? i wanna at least skim through?

interviewing on friday...just realized this site had forums haha. any last minute tips?

interviewing on friday...just realized this site had forums haha. any last minute tips?

know a little about their curriculum. they really want to know why u want to attend ATSU-SOMA, Why DO, Why med.
Also, review your application -- they asked me questions from my personal statement and an explanation for MCAT score and grades.

me too staying at days inn, and then in st louis the next day, im coming from texas

cool. im staying with my cousin in scottsdale but we should get some people together after the interview day is over to grab a beer just to debrief. good luck and cya there.

cool. im staying with my cousin in scottsdale but we should get some people together after the interview day is over to grab a beer just to debrief. good luck and cya there.
\wrong thread i meant to write on atsu kcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCAL
http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/schltot.htm

Is it bad that only 38.1% matched? :confused:

Look at it from this perspective.....44 total applied through AOA. 53 non-participants. 7 did not match.
so 37/44 matched = 84% . 38.1% refers to the 37 that matched out of the total class, not those who participated in the process.

Look at it from this perspective.....44 total applied through AOA. 53 non-participants. 7 did not match.
so 37/44 matched = 84% . 38.1% refers to the 37 that matched out of the total class, not those who participated in the process.

Thanks!

Well I just ha the social at SOMA and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Seems like an awesome school, and I was particularly pleased with te way the 1st years joked and kidded with eachother. Seems like a real nice environment.

I went to visit my aunt and uncle afterward, they live in Scotsdale and my uncle is a prosthedontist. He had some very nice things to say about the dental students comic from ATSU ASDOH, he thinks the curriculum is making a difference.

I'm so excited for my interview tomorrow, can't wait.

To anyone who has already interviewed at SOMA - where is the best place to stay? I have an interview on March 4th and I'm looking for a place to stay. I want to visit Phoenix some while I'm there as well.

To anyone who has already interviewed at SOMA - where is the best place to stay? I have an interview on March 4th and I'm looking for a place to stay. I want to visit Phoenix some while I'm there as well.
I think it was the best western... they are located pretty close to a "shopping complex" and the shuttle to the school is free. the ride to phoenix is a pretty long and expensive one lol. my cab ride one way was about 70 bucks from the airport just to get to the hotel in mesa/gilbert.

the ride to phoenix is a pretty long and expensive one lol. my cab ride one way was about 70 bucks from the airport just to get to the hotel in mesa/gilbert.

Ouch!

I rented a car for 3 days for $117 (including gas) I flew in Thursday for the social, then left Saturday morning. I liked it cause I was able to check out the neighborhood and search for potential living arrangements.

Look for a room in Tempe maybe. It's not far from campus (20 mins tops if you have your own transport) and it's got a nice college scene (Arizona State). Wedged right between Phoenix and Mesa, and just below Scotsdale too (which has nice places to eat if you're staying overnight after the interview).

Ouch!

I rented a car for 3 days for $117 (including gas) I flew in Thursday for the social, then left Saturday morning. I liked it cause I was able to check out the neighborhood and search for potential living arrangements.
i was gonna do that but im not 25 and over and they have that extra fee for us. i was lucky that i made a friend during the interview and we split the cab fare while going back to the airport.

SLC, how did your interview go?

i was gonna do that but im not 25 and over and they have that extra fee for us. i was lucky that i made a friend during the interview and we split the cab fare while going back to the airport.

SLC, how did your interview go?

It was really nice. Totally impressed with the school! If I'm accepted I'm withdrawing my application from all other schools.

Last edited:
It was really nice. Totally impressed with the school! If I'm accepted I'm withdrawing my application from all other schools.
Nice, I wish you the best of luck. I feel the same way about this school too!

Anyone interviewing on the 4th want to share hotel and/or split travel? I'm arriving at PHX 1:00 on Thursday and leaving at 5:00 on Friday. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:

La Quinta, ask about ATSU rate. It's $98 w/ free shuttle service to and from school. I took super shuttle from and to phoenix airport for a total of about $40. Plus, lots of restaurants by La Quinta.

anyone have the link for the facebook group of students attending next year?

Does anyone mind sharing what your stats were for those of you who were accepted to ATSU-SOMA?

Got the acceptance call on Thursday night, will be attending if my first choice school doesn't get back to me soon. I had a 3.1 science GPA, 3.36 overall undergrad GPA, and a 3.81 grad school GPA with a 28M MCAT score and around 760 hours of community service. If anyone has any questions about where to stay in the Mesa area, or anything about the interview process at ATSU-SOMA, please let me know! It was a very enjoyable experience and everyone surrounding the process at that school is very positive and welcoming! Best of luck to everyone!

I couldn't take the wait anymore! I finally caved and called the admissions office and got the word that I'm accepted! I interviewed Feb 18th.

Best news in the world! One interview, one acceptance!

SOMA has been my #1 choice since the day I first heard about it! Couldn't have asked for a better outcome to this application process than this.

3.35 science GPA (i think), 3.45 overall GPA, 32R MCAT. got accepted via phone yesterday. i also played football and had a bunch of other extracurriculars in college, so i dont know if that helped overcome a lack of clinical experience. hope this helps you. good luck.

I interviewed at SOMA on Feb 18th and I got the acceptance call on March 2nd!!!

I still can't believe it!!! I'm excited to be part of the Class of 2015.

This may sound weird, but I can't wait for school to start. Its going to be hard waiting until July.

Congratulations to everyone else that got accepted so far (looking forward to meeting you guys) and best of luck to everyone that is still waiting. Stay optimistic!!

I interviewed at SOMA on Feb 18th and I got the acceptance call on March 2nd!!!

I still can't believe it!!! I'm excited to be part of the Class of 2015.

This may sound weird, but I can't wait for school to start. Its going to be hard waiting until July.

Congratulations to everyone else that got accepted so far (looking forward to meeting you guys) and best of luck to everyone that is still waiting. Stay optimistic!!

This may be a funny question, but from what area code does the acceptance call come from? The individual who had my cell number before me must have been in a heap of dept because I get a half dozen calls from debt collection agencies daily looking for somebody named Phillip and therefore rarely answer unknown calls.

My call came from the 480 area code.

If you miss their call, I'm sure they'll leave a message. Or you can always call the Admissions Office to check your application status.

Hey does anyone know if ATSU SOMA is still conducting interviews for 2011?