ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I called in early Feb, they were less than 1/2 full. They told me they'd be interviewing until May.

Okay thanks... Hopefully I'll be hearing from them soon!!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay thanks... Hopefully I'll be hearing from them soon!!:xf:

When was your secondary complete? If it's been more than 6 weeks or so, I'd call them and follow up. It assures you they have it, and I honestly think it gets them moving on your file quicker. Plus if nothing else, it shows them you're serious about their school (which is huge at this point in the process since they want to get the class filled quickly).

And the less than half full thing i mentioned doesn't mean a lot anymore cause I know they've accepted from 3 different interview sessions since then. I'd definitely call them and ask about your status, if they invite you, schedule for the earliest possible date.

When was your secondary complete? If it's been more than 6 weeks or so, I'd call them and follow up. It assures you they have it, and I honestly think it gets them moving on your file quicker. Plus if nothing else, it shows them you're serious about their school (which is huge at this point in the process since they want to get the class filled quickly).

And the less than half full thing i mentioned doesn't mean a lot anymore cause I know they've accepted from 3 different interview sessions since then. I'd definitely call them and ask about your status, if they invite you, schedule for the earliest possible date.

Technically the bulk of my application was complete back in September. Unfortunately, I had an issue with one of my letter writers, so I didn't get all my materials in until the end of January.

I emailed my admissions counselor yesterday and she already responded saying that my materials are at the processing center in Kirksville and once they are released ("which shouldn't take any time at all") she will expedite my application. I'm hoping that's a good thing... at least I'll hear something sooner than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically the bulk of my application was complete back in September. Unfortunately, I had an issue with one of my letter writers, so I didn't get all my materials in until the end of January.

I emailed my admissions counselor yesterday and she already responded saying that my materials are at the processing center in Kirksville and once they are released ("which shouldn't take any time at all") she will expedite my application. I'm hoping that's a good thing... at least I'll hear something sooner than later.

If they'll expedite you, you are in good shape. You may even know by the end of the week if you're going to interview or not.

I was in a similar boat, my app wasn't complete till mid-Feb. They review the app and make a preliminary decision almost immediately. I got my interview invite the day they got my secondary in Mesa. And I was able to interview a week later.

Make sure you follow up regularly with them.

If they'll expedite you, you are in good shape. You may even know by the end of the week if you're going to interview or not.

I was in a similar boat, my app wasn't complete till mid-Feb. They review the app and make a preliminary decision almost immediately. I got my interview invite the day they got my secondary in Mesa. And I was able to interview a week later.

Make sure you follow up regularly with them.

Cool thanks... that's pretty encouraging

Has anyone who interviewed on March 4th heard back yet? I know they said it could take up to 3 weeks, but I kind of expected to see some posts by now.

Has anyone who interviewed on March 4th heard back yet? I know they said it could take up to 3 weeks, but I kind of expected to see some posts by now.

I interviewed on the 4th and I haven't heard anything yet. They said the admissions committee meets every Tuesday so I figure we will start to hear something by the end of this week or beginning of next week.

I was at the March 4 interview and have heard back but only because I sent an email to the admissions director asking for my results to be expedited (have a unique situation that required a quick answer - Air Force HPSP application). If I remember correctly, they would review applications on Tuesdays and it would take 2 Tuesdays to go over them all which means that all would be reviewed by March 15. Then you should receive a response within 2 weeks of that date so you should know by March 29. You still have time...don't worry they'll get back to you soon enough.

By the way, I also interviewed at Western-Pomona, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, and KCUMB but found ATSU-SOMA to be the best fit for me so I sent in my $1000 check and will be in the class of 2015!

I was at the March 4 interview and have heard back but only because I sent an email to the admissions director asking for my results to be expedited (have a unique situation that required a quick answer - Air Force HPSP application). If I remember correctly, they would review applications on Tuesdays and it would take 2 Tuesdays to go over them all which means that all would be reviewed by March 15. Then you should receive a response within 2 weeks of that date so you should know by March 29. You still have time...don't worry they'll get back to you soon enough.

By the way, I also interviewed at Western-Pomona, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, and KCUMB but found ATSU-SOMA to be the best fit for me so I sent in my $1000 check and will be in the class of 2015!

Awesome! I'm USAF HPSP too! See you in July!!!

I called to check on my status today and I've been waitlisted. They said that most applicants on the waitlist are accepted and should hear something by June, although it might not be until July.

Last edited:
I submitted my app through AACOMAS on 2/28, they received and processed my secondary on 3/15 and I got an interview invite by email last night 3/22! There was only one day available to schedule for which was 4/22 so I'm signed up. Anybody know if they are still doing the 1 interview day per month?

I submitted my app through AACOMAS on 2/28, they received and processed my secondary on 3/15 and I got an interview invite by email last night 3/22! There was only one day available to schedule for which was 4/22 so I'm signed up. Anybody know if they are still doing the 1 interview day per month?

I think it's two per month now. I know they did two in Feb that is.

But they're probably getting really full at interview days, the interview season really picked up in February and will go (apparently) until May.

hope to meet some of you tonight if any SDNers are interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on March 4th. I received a letter in the mail this week stating I am an alternate/wait-list. Does anyone know what they have said regarding the chances of us alternate students becoming accepted for the entering class this year. Thanks.

I interviewed on March 4th. I received a letter in the mail this week stating I am an alternate/wait-list. Does anyone know what they have said regarding the chances of us alternate students becoming accepted for the entering class this year. Thanks.

Check about 7 posts up ^

I was also waitlisted back in feb. I emailed Amy Stradling and she said that although nothing is for sure, it was likely that I'll be bumped up to the acceptance list. At that time, she said ten students on the waitlist had already been accepted. Haven't heard anything since then though.

Are there any students that use Macbook Pros for school? If so, what have been the pros and cons? The school lists them as an alternative to Lenovo laptops, but I'd like to hear what students think of using them for the curriculum.

I was also waitlisted back in feb. I emailed Amy Stradling and she said that although nothing is for sure, it was likely that I'll be bumped up to the acceptance list. At that time, she said ten students on the waitlist had already been accepted. Haven't heard anything since then though.

Thanks! Yeah, I am just curious so I can plan my future, especially since the school starts in mid-summer. I just hope to hear something sooner than later. I am going to call next week and note here what they tell me.

Hello, I have an interview on April 22nd (YAY!!!) does anyone know how full the class is so far? Considering that this is a late interview date, would the interviews mostly be for waitlist spots? Thanks!

Congrats! I'm also interviewing that day, where are you coming from? From previous posts all I could find was that in early February it was less than half full. Since there are groups of 50 interviewing each month it could be full or close to it soon. I'm sure there will be some seats available if they want us and if not they'll find room as soon as one becomes available come the May 15th MD match.

Congrats! I'm also interviewing that day, where are you coming from? From previous posts all I could find was that in early February it was less than half full. Since there are groups of 50 interviewing each month it could be full or close to it soon.

This is true,

When I interviewed in February, the admissions office said that the class was somewhere between 20-50% full. Not sure if that's 30% or maybe even 49%, they wouldn't elaborate.

Either way, if they're interviewing, I'm sure they've saved some openings. Maybe it's only a handful, but they're there. If you're what they're looking for, they'll make sure to snatch you up.

Hello, I have an interview on April 22nd (YAY!!!) does anyone know how full the class is so far? Considering that this is a late interview date, would the interviews mostly be for waitlist spots? Thanks!

we were told that as of the last interview the class was full.
that being said, if you were accepted, they were either going to give you a spot on the next year, or a seat as soon as one opens up, and that given the cycle last year, everyone who was accepted got in that year if they wished (obviously from SDN you'll find out that a few students deferred)

Good luck and let us know how it went and what you thought!

my interview went great. i was absolutely blown away by how helpful the professors were, how knowledgeable and how intensely they cared for the learning process of the students.
I really liked how excited the biochem prof was about chemistry. Reminded me of my mentor a lot and how I got to really enjoy and get interested in chemistry.

I was a little apprehensive about the campus only having first years around, but honestly it seemed like a community/tight knit group of friends far removed from the "cutthroat" atmosphere i've witnessed at other med schools (and I have al ot of friends/family in med school as well) and I felt like this related a lot more to the schools I went to (mostly religious in charter) where moral character, and public servitude were emphasized. All in all it was a really AMAZING place! I can see why everyone is so enthusiastic about this school.

I'm really interested in a particular CHC. Are they still doing prematching? It has literally everything I'm looking for in a clinical experience, especially including an HIV/AIDS population since I lost my mentor to HIV and this greatly influenced my decision to pursue medicine in the first place.

Last edited:
my interview went great. i was absolutely blown away by how helpful the professors were, how knowledgeable and how intensely they cared for the learning process of the students.
I really liked how excited the biochem prof was about chemistry. Reminded me of my mentor a lot and how I got to really enjoy and get interested in chemistry.

I was a little apprehensive about the campus only having first years around, but honestly it seemed like a community/tight knit group of friends far removed from the "cutthroat" atmosphere i've witnessed at other med schools (and I have al ot of friends/family in med school as well) and I felt like this related a lot more to the schools I went to (mostly religious in charter) where moral character, and public servitude were emphasized. All in all it was a really AMAZING place! I can see why everyone is so enthusiastic about this school.

I'm really interested in a particular CHC. Are they still doing prematching? It has literally everything I'm looking for in a clinical experience, especially including an HIV/AIDS population since I lost my mentor to HIV and this greatly influenced my decision to pursue medicine in the first place.

I'm glad your interview went well and that the teachers are passionate about what they do :thumbup: They definitely make all the difference in tough coursework. How was the social the night before? Did you recognize your interviewers the next day and did you get a chance to meet them before Friday? It sounds like a good place for an out-of-stater with no family or friends in Arizona.

As far as the class being full I think SLC is right, if they want you they'll find room. It won't be anyway around May 15th when people match to MD schools. I really wonder how many people give up good DO seats for a sub-par MD? Or maybe there aren't really any less than good MD schools in the U.S. (not counting the Caribbean schools)?

I have an interview on April 22nd, as well. A little bummed that the class is full. Where are ya'll coming from? I'm coming from Indiana. It's going to be a long weekend... :xf: good luck to everyone!

Congrats! I'm also interviewing that day, where are you coming from? From previous posts all I could find was that in early February it was less than half full. Since there are groups of 50 interviewing each month it could be full or close to it soon. I'm sure there will be some seats available if they want us and if not they'll find room as soon as one becomes available come the May 15th MD match.

Thanks!! Im coming out from Los Angeles. I called the admission office on Friday and learned the class is full. The interview on the 22nd is for waitlist spots. However, the representative also said the previous year all waitlisters were eventually accepted. I've heard great things about this university I hope I have a shot for the incoming class. Excited for the interview, can't wait!

After calling Amy, she mentioned I was on the high priority list for wait-listed students but it doesn't make it easy.

She stated how there are pending students who are accepted. The school is waiting to hear from those students. Then she mentioned there is another interview (which many of us know), and those students who they like will be added to the wait-list. Finally, after all the accepted students decide yes or no they will go down the wait-list.

She said we can know as early as May or as late as the day before classes start. Now begins the waiting game.

She did mention the last two years, the majority of students on the wait-list were accepted. That is some positive news. Yet remember that one of the deans said this year they had the most students apply ever in their history (which is short), so that definitely increases the competition.

I could see SOMA having a lot of waitlist movement because I think quite a few people apply there not knowing about / not interested enough in the unique curriculum. Once they get acceptances elsewhere they often choose to go there instead of SOMA because they aren't sure/interested enough/confident in SOMA's curriculum. Given the uniqueness of the curriculum it's understandable that there would be a lot of turnover. Also, SOMA has the stigma of "dooming" you to primary care.(I think this stigma may be short lived as I have hear reports that the first residency match has been pretty varied and not all primary care, quite a few specialized with quite a few getting into some pretty impressive programs.)

SOMA's curriculum, as amazing as it is in my opinion, isn't for everyone and it's good to see that people actually think it over before committing to it. It seems either SOMA student's are either in love with the curriculum or they flat out hate it and it seems that those that hate it seem to be grounded in the fact that they had to move halfway across the country 2nd year...but they knew that going in, so it's their fault really.

But that is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt!

Several of our classmates got pulled off the waitlist literally the week before orientation or the weekend before classes started. Some people drop out at the last minute for various reasons (personal, financial, got off waitlist at another school, etc). So you may want to be prepared to pick up and move mid july if you think you will get off the list. :)

Also, they just sent us the residency list for matching and it is quite impressive. you are not at all "doomed" to primary care. (While that is a bad way to say it...there are a lot of benefits to primary care..the school just promotes primary care, doesn't imprison you to it). We had a lot of specialties...including several anesth, several surgery (including ortho), several radiology, ob-gyn, (not to mention a neurosurgery). As well as a good number of internal, family, and peds (among others). (so yes, a wide variety) I honestly was surprised how impressive our match list was. This is super impressive for a first class.

As for a few of our classmates who are a little bitter about their CHC location and moving...there are a few people who didn't get to go where they wanted to, but most people have realized that this is the risk they took and are still excited to start a new adventure in a new location. All CHC locations have positive and negative aspects which depend on you and what you are looking for (one man's trash is another man's treasure). As long as you are open to adventure when you come here you will be fine. I haven't really heard of anyone absolutely hating their CHC site once they are there...you will get an an amazing experience no matter where you go.

I could see SOMA having a lot of waitlist movement because I think quite a few people apply there not knowing about / not interested enough in the unique curriculum. Once they get acceptances elsewhere they often choose to go there instead of SOMA because they aren't sure/interested enough/confident in SOMA's curriculum. Given the uniqueness of the curriculum it's understandable that there would be a lot of turnover. Also, SOMA has the stigma of "dooming" you to primary care.(I think this stigma may be short lived as I have hear reports that the first residency match has been pretty varied and not all primary care, quite a few specialized with quite a few getting into some pretty impressive programs.)

SOMA's curriculum, as amazing as it is in my opinion, isn't for everyone and it's good to see that people actually think it over before committing to it. It seems either SOMA student's are either in love with the curriculum or they flat out hate it and it seems that those that hate it seem to be grounded in the fact that they had to move halfway across the country 2nd year...but they knew that going in, so it's their fault really.

But that is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt!

I for one am ecstatic about the curriculum, i think its a brilliant idea. I loved my science labs and feel like this applied approach will be the kind of environment that I will excel in. I'm just ready to go ahead and get the interview done. just 2 more weeks :)

has anyone who interviewed march 25th heard anything yet? I'm debating if I should call or not

So I'm flying down to Arizona on the 21st. Anyone else going to the social? It's optional to go, but I feel like they'll expect you to go haha.

Also, I know the 4/22 interview is for waitlist spots, so I hope I get to be a waitlister! It would definitely be a step up from the denial status I just got this morning from a different school :(

So I'm flying down to Arizona on the 21st. Anyone else going to the social? It's optional to go, but I feel like they'll expect you to go haha.

Also, I know the 4/22 interview is for waitlist spots, so I hope I get to be a waitlister! It would definitely be a step up from the denial status I just got this morning from a different school :(

Definitely go to the social. You may meet some of your interviewers there. Also it's just a good time to meet other applicants and faculty. Sorry to hear about the denial, but keep your head up. :)

I plan on going for sure. I think it'd be good to meet some people there before the interview day. They're interviewing for both accept-pending open seat and waitlist. Don't worry about the rejection, it just means there's a better school out there for you :thumbup:

has anyone who interviewed march 25th heard anything yet? I'm debating if I should call or not

afaik nobody has heard yet.
im going to send an email just to let them know I'm eager :)

Definitely go to the social. You may meet some of your interviewers there. Also it's just a good time to meet other applicants and faculty. Sorry to hear about the denial, but keep your head up. :)

This happened to me. During the social I spoke to a professor for one hour who turned out to be the one doing my file review. At the file review she spend 2 minutes going over my file and 10 minutes giving me tips on specific things to say to impress my interviewers.

This happened to me. During the social I spoke to a professor for one hour who turned out to be the one doing my file review. At the file review she spend 2 minutes going over my file and 10 minutes giving me tips on specific things to say to impress my interviewers.

When I went to the social I sat next to the guy I interviewed with. YEA ,go to it.

afaik nobody has heard yet.
im going to send an email just to let them know I'm eager :)

I interviewed March 25th and have not heard anything. I think they're waiting until exactly 3 weeks from the interview date. 4 more days......

I was accepted pending an open seat so basically a high priority waitlist. Good luck to those waiting!

Were you also given an option to defer to next year?

I'm not completely sure. The letter did mention a guaranteed acceptance for next year if a spot doesn't open up this year. After I read the letter again, I'll try to post to update you.

Edit: The letter doesn't specifically state that you have an option to defer but I'm assuming you can. Call the admissions office to find out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people from the medium waitlist are accepted each year? I assume the high priority waitlisters are all accepted, but I am wondering how many medium waitlisters are accepted.

I want to get off the waitlist. Or if for whatever reason I'm not going to be accepted this year, I would like to know so I can re-apply and make plans for the summer.

I'm not completely sure. The letter did mention a guaranteed acceptance for next year if a spot doesn't open up this year. After I read the letter again, I'll try to post to update you.

Edit: The letter doesn't specifically state that you have an option to defer but I'm assuming you can. Call the admissions office to find out.

Oh ok, so at least if a spot doesn't open you can count on starting next fall if you don't get into another school you like better.

I withdrew so I hope one of you gets my seat!! Good luck, I loved this school, its just that I got into NYCOM which is close to my house and I won't have to move out lol