AVC/UPEI c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still nothing today, the registrars office closes at 4 so hopefully we will hear something tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Still nothing today, the registrars office closes at 4 so hopefully we will hear something tomorrow!
I really thought we would hear today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow! I wonder if the invites and rejection emails will come out on the same day. Also wondering if all provinces will hear on the same day.

Reactions: 1 users
I really thought we would hear today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow! I wonder if the invites and rejection emails will come out on the same day. Also wondering if all provinces will hear on the same day.
Usually they send out invites first, and then rejections. Also, they tend to send out different provinces on different days.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like we won't be hearing until next week unfortunately :(

I feel like we won't be hearing until next week unfortunately :(
I received an email from Tracy saying that the Admissions Committee will be meeting next week

Last edited:
I received an email from Tracey saying that the Admissions Committee will be meeting next week
That doesn’t sound good. I’m wondering if decisions will even be ready by next week then! This is waiting is frustrating.

Reactions: 1 user
That doesn’t sound good. I’m wondering if decisions will even be ready by next week then! This is waiting is frustrating.
I agree, this is so frustrating. I don't see why they can't just set a date so we don't have to keep stressing about it every day. Also, this is making it very hard to arrange plans for summer employment when I don't even know when/if I'll have to go to PEI for an interview :/

I agree, this is so frustrating. I don't see why they can't just set a date so we don't have to keep stressing about it every day. Also, this is making it very hard to arrange plans for summer employment when I don't even know when/if I'll have to go to PEI for an interview :/
I also emailed Tracy this morning to see about the timeline for when we should hear. She said they are meeting next week and that all applicants will hear by at least the first week of April. She said interviews will be in May, hopefully early in the month! It’s so weird that it’s so late because usually they tell us the week before St. Patrick’s day!

Hey everyone. New to the thread. I found it trying to research why we haven’t received any emails yet, but I’ve found my answer here lol.

Just wanna say good luck to everyone. I’m a Newfoundlander applying for the first time, any fellow Newfie’s care to share some experiences if you’ve applied before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. New to the thread. I found it trying to research why we haven’t received any emails yet, but I’ve found my answer here lol.

Just wanna say good luck to everyone. I’m a Newfoundlander applying for the first time, any fellow Newfie’s care to share some experiences if you’ve applied before?

Hey! I’m from NL and it’s my second time applying! It is super competitive for NLers as there’s only a few seats compared to other provinces. I did get feedback from Tracy last year regarding my application and that was helpful!
Best of luck!!

Received an email from Tracy this past week saying she couldn't access one of my transcripts that I sent along when applications were due in October. Scary to think that interview invites were supposed to go out and my grades weren't opened even until this week 😩

Received an email from Tracy this past week saying she couldn't access one of my transcripts that I sent along when applications were due in October. Scary to think that interview invites were supposed to go out and my grades weren't opened even until this week 😩
Wow that’s scary considering they were supposed to be reviewing our grades after our fall semester transcripts were due February 1st. I guess things are a little behind this cycle due to the craziness of Covid and IT issues.

Just curious if anyone is in this situation, if it is your last year of undergrad and you didn’t happen to be accepted this year, what is your plan? I have one year left to my undergrad degree and if I don’t get accepted I’m not sure what the next steps are. Should I do another degree to improve my grades since AVC only accepts undergrad courses

Just curious if anyone is in this situation, if it is your last year of undergrad and you didn’t happen to be accepted this year, what is your plan? I have one year left to my undergrad degree and if I don’t get accepted I’m not sure what the next steps are. Should I do another degree to improve my grades since AVC only accepts undergrad courses
This depends on your application. Many of my classmates went on to do their masters. My grades were fine and my application was lacking experience so I took a year off to work/pay off debt and shadow more. Others who came from more competitive provinces opted to establish residency in NB/PEI.

My advice to you, if you don’t get an interview this year, is to schedule a meeting/phone call with the admissions coordinator to discuss your application and chat about ways to improve. They’ll pinpoint certain prerequisites that you’d need to improve on and then you can plan accordingly. Another degree is not necessary, unless it interests you anyway! One key point is that you can’t retake courses (unless you completed the course 10+ years ago which I’m assuming you haven’t), but you can find other courses that will count towards the prerequisite.. just double and triple check with the admissions coordinator that AVC will accept these credits.

I am currently in my last year of undergrad and graduate this May. If I don't get accepted this year, I plan on taking a year off and gaining more experience under a different vet so I can improve that part of my application as I feel like I don't have enough and trying again. If I still don't get in the following year, I think I will look into taking a master's program.

This was me in 2020. I went back to get my honours, still didn't get in. Then I moved away for a job where I could experience high quality medicine practices and have more opportunity! I tried taking some courses last term, but it felt like a waste. I'd rather spend my time trying to understand what I really want, and gain working experience!

oh god that’s freaky!! here i was thinking everything was going smoothly with my prereqs but now i’m going to be stressing that they haven’t even looked at them yet 😬

i’m in this boat and i’m not fully sure what i’ll be doing yet! i may go on to do a masters with my honours lab or i might take the year to gain more animal experience, i think it will depend on what the feedback on my application is and how i’m feeling

I graduated from my bachelor's last may, so this year I will still be a NL resident. In the mean time, I managed to land an awesome job assisting at the AVCs teaching hospital, which motivates me everyday not to give up. If I don't get in this year, then I'll try again as a PEI resident. I'm already in the field, so I'll just continue this path until everything falls into place. Moral of the story is if it's truely what you're passionate about, then never give up!

I’ll be a first year international student in the fall and was wondering if anyone knew best ways to find places to live?? I’m in some Facebook groups but having some trouble. Thanks!

Ive been holding on to my decision for some time and I'm so torn on which school to choose. Does anyone have a pros and cons list that I can check out? The deadline to accept is approach and I'm stressing!

Ive been holding on to my decision for some time and I'm so torn on which school to choose. Does anyone have a pros and cons list that I can check out? The deadline to accept is approach and I'm stressing!
Pros and cons is going to be relatively personalized honestly. A pro for one person may be a big con for another :shrug: I can give you my perspective as an international 2015 grad if you’re interested.

I accepted my international seat and I agree the struggle is real when choosing a school! The pros/cons are pretty dependent on you but I’m happy to chat about how I decided feel free to pm me ☺️

Good luck everyone it’s finally happening!!!!

Sooooo anxious waiting for NL right now.

Got an interview from NL! Beyond excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Another rejection! (from NS). Good luck to those who received an interview, I wish you all the best!

Is anyone from NL who got an interview willing to share their GPA from there last 2 semesters; mine was a 4.0 and I did not receive an interview. I'm not 100% sure which grades were used for my prerequisites.

I’ll be a first year international student in the fall and was wondering if anyone knew best ways to find places to live?? I’m in some Facebook groups but having some trouble. Thanks!
I'm also an incoming first year international student. I asked my Student Ambassador something similar, she said that once Canadian students are accepted then the class above us will contact our class and create a facebook group and/or document with some housing resources for us.

I'm also an incoming first year international student. I asked my Student Ambassador something similar, she said that once Canadian students are accepted then the class above us will contact our class and create a facebook group and/or document with some housing resources for us.
Canadian students are accepted in June so if you’d like to get a head start on finding housing, I recommend the following groups on Facebook:
- AVC Book Exchange PEI Canada
- PEI Apartment Rentals
- PEI Pet Friendly Home Rentals
- Prince Edward Island Houses/Apartments for Sale/Rent

Is anyone from NL who got an interview willing to share their GPA from there last 2 semesters; mine was a 4.0 and I did not receive an interview. I'm not 100% sure which grades were used for my prerequisites.
Last 2 semesters were also 4.0!

I may have 1-2 rooms available in my current house. If you think you might be interested message me!

Hi Everyone!
I need some advice. This was my second year applying and I didn’t get an interview. I know that I need to improve my first and second year chemistry mark (organic Chem is fine) to be considered next year. Does anyone know what I can use to improve these, as I know we can’t redo for 10 years?