AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to chime in, a friend of mine goes to WashU, where they have pass/fail. However, there are still numerical grades and class rank is noted in the committee letter for residency, so it's likely that no matter where you go, you will be ranked in one way or another.

Rank has long been discussed and I'm sure we're not covering new ground, so if you're curious, so a quick search and you'll find some good arguments for both sides.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, to chime in, a friend of mine goes to WashU, where they have pass/fail. However, there are still numerical grades and class rank is noted in the committee letter for residency, so it's likely that no matter where you go, you will be ranked in one way or another.

Rank has long been discussed and I'm sure we're not covering new ground, so if you're curious, so a quick search and you'll find some good arguments for both sides.

That's true. It's not like I can change these things either, since AZCOM is most likely where I will end up, and it's a great school. I should probably be more concerned about other things, like our patho exam today and learning the 200+ drugs for pharm final :laugh:

Haha, yeah, not going to be a fun next two weeks...

That said, I don't think any school wants to foster a competitive atmosphere for the first two years. I'm certain every student is well aware that they will have to take the boards and compete again for residencies, with much more than class rank at stake. It's such a minor thing to worry about over just doing your best and getting to where you want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
dum dum dum...

Today is the day that the last batches of interviewees find out the good/bad news. Good luck, everyone.

Will it be posted when we log on MWUnet and click on "Matriculation"?

I called earlier this morning and they said they're computers were down...so I'm assuming yes?

laixx,

Were you able to get an answer on your acceptance or not?

Will it be posted when we log on MWUnet and click on "Matriculation"?

Mine wasn't posted for almost 2 weeks after my acceptance (I actually received the snail mail letter first). But it didn't really matter anyway because I had called and found out ~2 weeks after my interview.

The word is...check Monday online... >.<

Ya, I called this morning also and they also told me the computers were down... At this point, I'm assuming Monday is about right... :( I guess that's good so I can focus on my physio exam... :eek:

Check MWUnet again. I just got my matriculation agreement within the last two hours. I'm in shock! :oops:) Good luck to the rest of you!

Check MWUnet again. I just got my matriculation agreement within the last two hours. I'm in shock! :oops:) Good luck to the rest of you!

Congrats! Don't forget to join the fb group AZCOM 2013.:thumbup:

Congratulations. I'm not sure what's going on...I've read from this chat that people have found out my calling, snail mail and MWUnet(which can take up to 2 weeks)...:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Be and several others I missed! Anyone else find out online?

Anyone know when our letters will be posted??? Is it really as late as June/July?

Yes, I actually had the joy of talking to FinAid the other day and they said it will be around the end of July. They're currently working out the summer students right now, or so they say.

Yes, I actually had the joy of talking to FinAid the other day and they said it will be around the end of July. They're currently working out the summer students right now, or so they say.

That really sucks. Thanks, though.

Just called and found out that I am waitlisted. Pretty disappointed, but may be a blessing in disguise, who knows. :)

Does anyone know how many names are on the waitlist? I've been been told that some years, the adcom completely exhausts the waitlist and have to call up more applicants.

Alrighty folks....Here's your dose of crazy for today!

I have a HUGE phobia of bugs (mainly the big nasty ones) and I'm not super dumb so I know that going to AZ is probably not a good thing.....

But, I can handle them being outside...

I need honest answers, do you all have big problems with scorpions, black widows, and tarantulas IN your apartments/houses????

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have a HUGE phobia of bugs (mainly the big nasty ones) and I'm not super dumb so I know that going to AZ is probably not a good thing.....

I need honest answers, do you all have big problems with scorpions, black widows, and tarantulas IN your apartments/houses????

And to add to the crazy...it posted six flippin times!!! Sorry!!

Just called and found out that I am waitlisted. Pretty disappointed, but may be a blessing in disguise, who knows. :)

Does anyone know how many names are on the waitlist? I've been been told that some years, the adcom completely exhausts the waitlist and have to call up more applicants.

You might want to check out the postings from last week on this very thread. They told me the same thing over the phone as they did to you (that last year they went through all the wait list). Turns out thats not true (check out last week's post by bivie 5-5-09)

The bottom line is this: There is historically A LOT of movement off of the alternate list at AZCOM, however, past performance is no indication of future results. I was told that there are about 100 of us on the alt list, and that people drop off every day. If you are on the list, it does look hopeful, but no guarantees. They do not rank the list, nor do they tell you how you fare. They do tell that the adcom will meet during the last week of this month to begin discussing the alt list candidates. We could begin to hear things the first week of June, but due to the daynamic nature of the beast that is the alternate list, we might not hear anything until July, or even the 1st week of classes. Talk about the frustration of not knowing where you'll be in two months :confused:. I share this same frustration.

BTW, does anyone know how the May 15 date affects the alternate list candidates?

MnB,

Thanks for your reply. This process is quite frustrating. I'd guess that, at most, the list will only shift 30-40 people into matriculation. I find it difficult to believe that all 100+ WL'd applicants will have the opportunity to matriculate as that would mean that roughly 40% of AZCOM's acceptance offers will be denied. However, given that this is one of the most expensive schools AND the current economic climate, I suppose the idea is not too far from a possibility.

You might want to check out the postings from last week on this very thread. They told me the same thing over the phone as they did to you (that last year they went through all the wait list). Turns out thats not true (check out last week's post by bivie 5-5-09)

The bottom line is this: There is historically A LOT of movement off of the alternate list at AZCOM, however, past performance is no indication of future results. I was told that there are about 100 of us on the alt list, and that people drop off every day. If you are on the list, it does look hopeful, but no guarantees. They do not rank the list, nor do they tell you how you fare. They do tell that the adcom will meet during the last week of this month to begin discussing the alt list candidates. We could begin to hear things the first week of June, but due to the daynamic nature of the beast that is the alternate list, we might not hear anything until July, or even the 1st week of classes. Talk about the frustration of not knowing where you'll be in two months :confused:. I share this same frustration.

BTW, does anyone know how the May 15 date affects the alternate list candidates?

I predict significant WL movement after May 15th since that is the day everyone has to decide on one MD school, and many acceptancees are currently waitlisted at state (and/or other MD) schools. Those schools will begin reviewing WL applicants after May 15th and begin accepting people starting end of May/early June, and as soon as we hear back from them, we can withdraw. Hope this helps.

I've been here since August and I've seen 1 scorpion (in someone else's house), 0 black widows and 0 tarantulas. My wife DID kill a cockroach in the house yesterday and now she is totally flipping out. Only one we've seen so far though. What HAVE seen a lot of are coyotes and javelinas. Those startle me a lot more than the bugs.

I predict significant WL movement after May 15th since that is the day everyone has to decide on one MD school, and many acceptancees are currently waitlisted at state (and/or other MD) schools. Those schools will begin reviewing WL applicants after May 15th and begin accepting people starting end of May/early June, and as soon as we hear back from them, we can withdraw. Hope this helps.

Waitlisted... Good because I wasn't rejected... Bad because I hate waiting. Should I apply for financial aid just in case?

Thanks rennyk, it helps. Its kind of like therapy... you know, talking about the WL possibilities, its as unpredictable as the economy (especially at a school like AZCOM where there is no WL ranking whatsoever). Just curious, what MD schools are you WL at?

I'm in the same boat as you mr2trd3. Its weird cuz I thought I had charmed their socks off in this interview...guess not. O well, at least its better than an outright rejection eh? :laugh:
:xf:

Waitlisted... Good because I wasn't rejected... Bad because I hate waiting. Should I apply for financial aid just in case?

YES, especially if what flushot posted earlier is true in that our financial aid packages won't be ready until end of July (so a few days before school starts) :/

Thanks rennyk, it helps. Its kind of like therapy... you know, talking about the WL possibilities, its as unpredictable as the economy (especially at a school like AZCOM where there is no WL ranking whatsoever). Just curious, what MD schools are you WL at?

Yeah, I hate the not knowing part. You should see some of the waitlist threads on SDN -- not sure if all the speculating does more harm than good, lol. As for my WL status, one is at my state school here in AZ (unlikely acceptance though because it's already ranked and I'm pretty low, but one can always hope... lol) and the other is Creighton (~50% chance of acceptance but charges just as much as AZCOM and I hate the weather there so it's a much harder sell) but I liked their student environment and curriculum better so would still end up going if I got in.

I'm in the same boat as you mr2trd3. Its weird cuz I thought I had charmed their socks off in this interview...guess not. O well, at least its better than an outright rejection eh? :laugh:
:xf:

Strange, considering I thought I completely blew the interview. :confused: I'm starting to feel as though we really just interviewed (the last batch to interview) to be placed on the waitlist which kind of blows. It was not cheap flying out to AZ and spending a night there.

laixx, I think I actually interviewed on the same day as you. You are Joe, correct? As for myself, I'll remain a ninja :)

Good luck to all. Hoping that all 100+ of us WL'd folks get shifted into matriculation.

YES, especially if what flushot posted earlier is true in that our financial aid packages won't be ready until end of July (so a few days before school starts) :/

Ok, thanks for the info! If we get off the WL :)xf::xf::xf:) do they just send you a letter in the mail?

Ok, thanks for the info! If we get off the WL :)xf::xf::xf:) do they just send you a letter in the mail?

At that point, I am pretty sure they will call since a lot of us will be traveling during the summer, etc. and they're scrambling to fill their class at that point. So keep your cell phone handy! :xf:

At that point, I am pretty sure they will call since a lot of us will be traveling during the summer, etc. and they're scrambling to fill their class at that point. So keep your cell phone handy! :xf:

Does anyone know if...

...if you miss the call then SOL for you? :) Seriously!

There are 160 applicants on the waitlist. Seems hopeless now.

Never lose hope. Keep in mind there's also 250 seats. Here's to drastic WL movement within the next month :xf:

Since the waitlist is unranked...do they just pull names out of a hat or are they just keeping their process secretive?

Never lose hope. Keep in mind there's also 250 seats. Here's to drastic WL movement within the next month :xf:

I highly doubt that more than 50 spots will shift from now until first day of classes.

I'm still not believing that they had years that they went through the entire waiting list AND called more people! That would mean that approximately 50% of their offers were refused/denied (obviously depending on the number of WL'd applicants). Maybe AZCOM got selfish this year and interviewed way more than usual (and waitlisted a lot more than usual), expecting a lot of "no shows" due to the ailing economy. :confused:

I highly doubt that more than 50 spots will shift from now until first day of classes.

I'm still not believing that they had years that they went through the entire waiting list AND called more people! That would mean that approximately 50% of their offers were refused/denied (obviously depending on the number of WL'd applicants). Maybe AZCOM got selfish this year and interviewed way more than usual (and waitlisted a lot more than usual), expecting a lot of "no shows" due to the ailing economy. :confused:

I figure it would be the other way around. Ailing economy = more people wanting to get into healthcare because its a "safe" industry.

plus all the kids who couldn't get jobs coming out of school decided to apply to med school instead of taking a few years off

I figure it would be the other way around. Ailing economy = more people wanting to get into healthcare because its a "safe" industry.

I second this. We all saw how crazy this cycle was. I can only imagine the horror of the 2010 cycle because so many people rushed to complete pre-reqs to apply. Healthcare has great job security and I'm sure people would love to be in school at a time like this.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I will be turning down my spot for Midwestern tomorrow because I'll be attending TCOM instead. So congratulations to whoever gets it!

is there a pool in azcom's new gym, or an outdoor pool besides the campus pools? I asked this in the med school forum but no1 answered

Status
Not open for further replies.