C/O 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a MD resident, so VMRCVM is my "in state"...as awful as it sounds, I have no enthuasium about it being my IS. I cant explain it...I dont like the location, the facility, the lack of ANYTHING to do with exotics. What a silly thing to be upset about? Even the website annoys me. Whats wrong with me??? :confused::confused:

I totally judge schools based off their websites. Like Mizzou's stinks! (and yet that's top 3 school for me). But I feel like appearances are important. A website should be easy to navigate, attractive and be full of good info.

Members don't see this ad.

Second time applicant, and I haven't done anything yet except make sure I had my VMCAS from last year printed. I've been thinking some about what schools I'll apply to this cycle, but I mostly just wanna go to LSU, so I'm having trouble convincing myself to apply anywhere else. :rolleyes:

I'll need to rewrite my PS -- I had terrible writer's block last year and did it in a rush to make the deadline, and I haaaaated the whole thing. I'm taking the new GRE this summer, but haven't started studying, and haven't registered yet (I'm moving and don't want to sign up in the wrong city!) My LORs will probably be the same. Otherwise I just have to update my hours and add a few new experiences.

Applying >1x sucks, but at least I'm a lot less stressed about the process this year!

I totally judge schools based off their websites. Like Mizzou's stinks! (and yet that's top 3 school for me). But I feel like appearances are important. A website should be easy to navigate, attractive and be full of good info.

I loathed Oklahoma State's website. Worst website ever! :slap:
And I also thought... If they are this disorganized and unhelpful on their website, what will dealing with more important things be like?! :confused:
I don't necessarily think it's a direct reflection of their vet school, I'm just saying as an applicant, it doesn't really attract you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
And I also thought... If they are this disorganized and unhelpful on their website, what will dealing with more important things be like?! :confused:

Absolutely, and I look at it as, don't they want to attract people to their school? I feel like it's such a great opportunity to encourage people to apply, but all they end up doing is deterring me.

Absolutely, and I look at it as, don't they want to attract people to their school? I feel like it's such a great opportunity to encourage people to apply, but all they end up doing is deterring me.

Compared to Florida's website, or Colorado State's... the difference is crazy to me! I guess they don't really have to encourage people so they don't :cool:

I couldn't find any of the information I wanted to know to be able to make a good comparison or anything! It was really frustrating to even find their previous class statistics and things like that.

Ok sorry.... back to encouraging the C/O 2017!!!!! :hardy::highfive:

Don't judge schools by their websites!!!! :D

Oh! Also, yes. I am planning on getting some nifty experience this summer. I'm volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary and a big cat rescue. :D

Oh! Also, yes. I am planning on getting some nifty experience this summer. I'm volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary and a big cat rescue. :D

That is SO cool... I had the opportunity to do an internship at a big cat rescue once, but it was across the country from me and wasn't paid so there was just no way :(.
Enjoy your experience! :D

I can't stop being excited about this thread and I don't even know why?!?! Maybe because I don't have to deal with an application for a second time :laugh:, but I think its mostly because I'm excited for more people's dreams to come true! :love:

Me too!!! It beats worrying about how I am going to afford moving to someplace that is only 5 1/2 hrs away.

But my coworker is definitely glad I won't be stressing out anymore and bothering her. Oh, what you guys have to look fwd to (excluding 2nd + timers)! Remember, it's ok to cry at the gas station.

Me too!!! It beats worrying about how I am going to afford moving to someplace that is only 5 1/2 hrs away.

But my coworker is definitely glad I won't be stressing out anymore and bothering her. Oh, what you guys have to look fwd to (excluding 2nd + timers)! Remember, it's ok to cry at the gas station.
Lat year, I cried for 20 minutes in the shower before my first interview. Thinking I might do the same this year....
cry.gif

Lat year, I cried for 20 minutes in the shower before my first interview. Thinking I might do the same this year....
cry.gif

Awwww. I remember my cry day was when everyone was getting into Davis. I was like, the only one to get in the day after.

So never give up, never surrender!

And I'm giving my coworker all my GRE books. She's really not excited about it.

Awwww. I remember my cry day was when everyone was getting into Davis. I was like, the only one to get in the day after.

Who was it that cried when they couldn't find a stapler? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't necessarily think it's a direct reflection of their vet school, I'm just saying as an applicant, it doesn't really attract you.

I wasn't a huge fan either. I even felt Auburn's was a little eh, which I know you love. Turns out the school totally isn't for me, so I wasn't bummed about getting rejected. I thought I'd be okay with the dress code, but I'm not. I understand the reasoning, but when I'm in class 8-4 or 9-5 everyday and then some, I want to be comfortable. Not sure if anyone's website really affected my thoughts of the school or not, but I was disappointed in some of them since it wasn't like I'd be able to visit to find out more before an interview or anything like that.

I'm still absolutely in love with Tufts based on how they handle everything and how nice everyone is in their admissions office. So for those of you applying there, they're a fantastic bunch and extremely helpful. They actually made me cry when I called about signing up for a file review cause they're that nice.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even decide to apply until early June of last year. Hadn't even taken a GRE or had a single eLOR requested and I got it done. I am NOT suggesting you do this, but just try and relax and get done what you need to. You will be fine! :luck::xf:

I didn't even start filling out the application until august or september last year. I had quite a few medical things going on that I was resolving but I still had plenty of time to get it all completed. I don't suggest doing this but just so you know. No need to panic yet. :)

I pretty much did everything last minute. It's a VERRRRY long process, so don't get too freaked out so soon! Write a few drafts for your ps statement, have any of us on that thread or any friends look at it, talk to the vets you know about ethical problems. Pretty much the last piece of advice was all I followed. :D

Thanks guys! That does make me feel a bit better.

Adding to the feeling of waiting to the last minute, my first cycle I submitted everything the night before it was due. My tufts app was due the day after Halloween, so I'm pretty sure I was pre-gaming when I hit the submit button for that one...

My mom kept hounding me to submit earlier this year (which I did...kind of wish I didn't) because she's convinced it works the same way as the med school apps even though I told her it doesn't.

My mom kept hounding me to submit earlier this year (which I did...kind of wish I didn't) because she's convinced it works the same way as the med school apps even though I told her it doesn't.

My mom is convinced that the earlier you turn in, the sooner it gets to the school, the quicker they make their decisions about who is accepted.
no amount of telling her it didn't work that way would change her mind.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I am a MD resident, so VMRCVM is my "in state"...as awful as it sounds, I have no enthuasium about it being my IS. I cant explain it...I dont like the location, the facility, the lack of ANYTHING to do with exotics. What a silly thing to be upset about? Even the website annoys me. Whats wrong with me??? :confused::confused:

I kind of feel this way too. :/ I think in my case, though, it's just the location being somewhat close to where I'm from (even though I'm a MD resident also), but I am completely unexcited about it and know I should feel happier about it, even if just cost-wise. I haven't visited yet, but just what I've heard about it doesn't get be excited to be there--hoping I feel differently once I visit though, just because of money.

I feel like location is a seriously ridiculous way for me to be choosing/judging a school, even though, yes, I will be spending four years there, so it does matter a bit. Like, Cornell is in my maybe column only because it's in upstate New York and I did my undergrad somewhat near there for four years.

I wasn't a huge fan either. I even felt Auburn's was a little eh, which I know you love. Turns out the school totally isn't for me, so I wasn't bummed about getting rejected. I thought I'd be okay with the dress code, but I'm not. I understand the reasoning, but when I'm in class 8-4 or 9-5 everyday and then some, I want to be comfortable. Not sure if anyone's website really affected my thoughts of the school or not, but I was disappointed in some of them since it wasn't like I'd be able to visit to find out more before an interview or anything like that.

I'm still absolutely in love with Tufts based on how they handle everything and how nice everyone is in their admissions office. So for those of you applying there, they're a fantastic bunch and extremely helpful. They actually made me cry when I called about signing up for a file review cause they're that nice.

Yeah I agree about Auburn's website as well. The dress code was implemented at Florida this past year too but it's not taken as seriously. I'm not looking forward to walking to class in 105 degrees in dress clothes :-/

My mom is convinced that the earlier you turn in, the sooner it gets to the school, the quicker they make their decisions about who is accepted.
no amount of telling her it didn't work that way would change her mind.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I just made a thread asking about this. The pre-professional advisor at my school was saying I wouldn't be able to put my experience in this summer in my personal statement since the application can be submitted 3 days after I start my internship. Luckily, that's not the case!

I just made a thread asking about this. The pre-professional advisor at my school was saying I wouldn't be able to put my experience in this summer in my personal statement since the application can be submitted 3 days after I start my internship. Luckily, that's not the case!

I didn't really listen to my pre-health advisor all that much. He's great if you want to go to med school and great for proof reading PS, but when I talked to him, he was like you should have applied to vet school early June. I then proceeded to inform that our application isn't available until a certain date and that it isn't rolling admissions, so it really doesn't matter...

I feel exactly the same way about my IS (other than the facilities, which are nice). I know it's a great school ... for other people.

I think part of it is that I'm sick to death of all the over-the-top Aggie pride I've been exposed to since moving to Texas. They way some people talk, College Station is like the gates of heaven or something. :rolleyes:

I feel kind of like you guys. My IS is Penn, and although I would love to go there, I'm not sure if I would love living in Philly for four years.

I feel kind of like you guys. My IS is Penn, and although I would love to go there, I'm not sure if I would love living in Philly for four years.

See, I'm super excited about that. I went to school outside Baltimore and studied abroad in a city, so I'm kind of used to it and feel like I would miss it. Not that I'm expecting to have tons of free time, but I want stuff to be around for when I do. Although, I was totally happy to be going to U of Illinois. I was looking forward to having Big 10 Football since I missed out on it during college.

Oh no I love this school. ;)

Blacksburg is a self-descried drinking town with a football problem - what's not to like about that? :D And other than being absolutely rabid about giving back to the community that supports them (our Big Event program is second only to Texas A&M - the school that created it), the students at Virginia Tech are making huge efforts towards sustainability and "living local," so there's a really unique "hey, this is legitimately Blacksburgian" vibe to the whole place.

The entire school is getting updated starting this summer - we have a beautiful new Infectious Diseases building and I think to help prevent the rest of the school from looking like the afterthought, they've decided to just renovate the whole place. New labs, new classrooms, new offices - new equipment, new shiny toys. :)

And regarding exotics - have you looked at the classes for the Public/Corporate Track? There are reptile/bird/ferret/etc track classes in there. And the PC club (I've forgotten what its true name is off the top of my head) includes zoological and wildlife animals in its focus.

What the place truly lacks is a solid marketing department. People in my interview crew were a little miffed at how much the school DOESN'T talk about itself; they save all that for Prospective Student's day, which makes very little sense because that's usually for people who've already gotten in, and they're not necessarily the ones who need to know all this.

So don't be too bummed. It's a great place. ;)

I didn't really listen to my pre-health advisor all that much. He's great if you want to go to med school and great for proof reading PS, but when I talked to him, he was like you should have applied to vet school early June. I then proceeded to inform that our application isn't available until a certain date and that it isn't rolling admissions, so it really doesn't matter...

Yeah, I'm really not loving my pre-professional advisor atm. Of course, I may just be slightly bitter ;) because I worked really hard on several drafts of my PS before my mock interview, and then she wanted me to completely re-do it. And then that one wasn't good enough either, so I have to start all over again.

Yeah, I'm really not loving my pre-professional advisor atm. Of course, I may just be slightly bitter ;) because I worked really hard on several drafts of my PS before my mock interview, and then she wanted me to completely re-do it. And then that one wasn't good enough either, so I have to start all over again.

I would definitely get several opinions instead of taking one person's exclusively.

I agree about getting more than one opnion, especially if she didn't know that vet schools don't have rolling admissions...

I personally didn't have anyone read over my PS, besides the intro, but I think it would be definitely helpful! I just procrastinated a bit.

Y'all think OK's website is bad, go look at Tuskegee's. Assuming it's up.

Yes. I think they had the horrible website. Or was it Auburn? It was one of the two but I couldn't even find the vet school application on one of those two websites so I did not apply to the school. It is kind of hard to apply if you can't find the application and that was after searching for over an hour.

I'll applying this cycle. Haven't written anything concrete for my ps but I think about it every day, scribbling down ideas on post it notes. Oh and wats a GRE?

This will be my first application cycle as well....

My PS is done & LOR's are lined up. I have a good amount of small animal and I leave this Sunday to complete a 2 week externship with Carolina Tiger Rescue (super excited about that!) I'm currently preparing for the GRE as I still need to knock that out, then I need to gain some more large animal experience but I have those opportunities lined up too. The GRE has me spooked though, since I haven't done most of the math in a very long time, so dusting those cobwebs out of my brain has been fun. :-/ Thankfully, my GPA is pretty strong so I'm hoping that will balance me out if I flop on the GRE.

As for Blacksburg, I absolutely love the area. :love:

Oh, & for those of you that are "feeling old" .... I'm in the 30+ crowd. ;)

Good luck to everyone!

First time applicant, really excited! Taking my GRE tomorrow :eek: but I think it will go well. Utah resident, applying to Washington, Oregon, Mississippi, North Carolina (especially if my GRE goes well) and possibly tuskegee as well, but only if I have time and money to do their application. We will see how it goes! Haven't started on my PS yet, wanted to wait until I got the GRE out of the way. Still in the process of classes and experience this summer to strengthen my app. as much as possible. my GPA is definitely my weakpoint, but I'm hoping a good GRE score will help counteract that a little.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!!!:xf:

I kind of feel this way too. :/ I think in my case, though, it's just the location being somewhat close to where I'm from (even though I'm a MD resident also), but I am completely unexcited about it and know I should feel happier about it, even if just cost-wise. I haven't visited yet, but just what I've heard about it doesn't get be excited to be there--hoping I feel differently once I visit though, just because of money.

I feel like location is a seriously ridiculous way for me to be choosing/judging a school, even though, yes, I will be spending four years there, so it does matter a bit. Like, Cornell is in my maybe column only because it's in upstate New York and I did my undergrad somewhat near there for four years.

Yeah the location you cannot beat...it is only about 2 hours from my entire family in NC and 5 hours from Baltimore (where I live now). I havent visited either but I have heard the same things about the school and campus. I think that location can be very important. While I totally admire some people being able to pack up and move anywhere and be happy, that is just not my personality or lifestyle. I dont think it means that I want it any less than someone else just because I dread the thought of living in the middle of the nowhere. I dont have a ton of free time now but I love living in the city and having everything at my doorstep when I do have a day/night out! I also want to be somewhat close to family (as in on the same side of the country). I know that my schedule is going to be insane and I will be super poor and I hate the thought of coming home only once or twice a year. That being said, I would probably accept any position I was offered between going to vet school or not but it certainly affects my enthuasium about applying.

On a website note...NC State has a spectacular website...::swoon:: :love::love:

My PS is done & LOR's are lined up. I have a good amount of small animal and I leave this Sunday to complete a 2 week externship with Carolina Tiger Rescue (super excited about that!) I'm currently preparing for the GRE as I still need to knock that out, then I need to gain some more large animal experience but I have those opportunities lined up too. The GRE has me spooked though, since I haven't done most of the math in a very long time, so dusting those cobwebs out of my brain has been fun. :-/ Thankfully, my GPA is pretty strong so I'm hoping that will balance me out if I flop on the GRE.

Good luck to everyone!

I did an internship at Carolina Tiger Rescue in undergrad!!! Aaaaahhhh!!!!! :D:):D They have grown SO MUCH I am sure you will love it!

p.s. Tuskegee's website IS horrible! I Finally found everything I needed, but still! geez lol

Last edited:
I'll applying this cycle. Haven't written anything concrete for my ps but I think about it every day, scribbling down ideas on post it notes. Oh and wats a GRE?

So in the event that this is a legitimate question - the GRE is an exam you need to take in order to apply to vet school.

Here's their website.

Because I applied last year, when the GRE was switching to the new GRE, I had to take my test by August 1st - but I didn't find that out until April, and I was panicking something fierce.

Good luck to everyone!
I think the reason I'm sensitive about my age is that people have made some pretty nasty remarks to me about it. That I'm starting too late, I won't be able to "keep up" (WTF?!) and now I can't get in etc.

People need to keep their mouths shut. I'm 28, female, and have been asked by more than 1 person, "How are you going to have children since you are going back to school so late in life?". Geez I didn't realize 28 constituted old age

People need to keep their mouths shut. I'm 28, female, and have been asked by more than 1 person, "How are you going to have children since you are going back to school so late in life?". Geez I didn't realize 28 constituted old age
I'm 27. I've had multiple people comment that I'm getting old! I mention my bad hip (from dislocating it!) and it's because I'm old!! When the heck did being in your 20s start qualifying for pension checks and medicare?!?!!?

I swear this entire week I have been remarkig on how in appropriate people are! I was 18 when I had my son, 22 when I graduated from college, and now applying to vet school at almost 24...so my son will be 6 if I get in this this cycle and then 10 when I graduate. While I am sure some people would be married (Im not), own a home, and have a college fund for their children by the time they are that age...I simply wont. Everyones lifestyle is different as to when/if they have children and "settle down"...if they ever do. It is your choice and you have plenty of time! I want to show my son (not just preach) to follow your dreams and work hard, even if you make some not so good decisions early on or face obstacles. 28 is not old, AT ALL, and I think it is more important that you pursue your dreams now!

Honestly, I think people are crazy if they think younger applicants have a better chance than "older" applicants. I will be 22 in July, applying for my first time, and I feel like you guys have a lot of advantages over me. You have had more time to get experience, complete pre-reqs, and just life experience in general. I think "non-traditional" students are in a great place for applying and I certainly wouldn't say they have any disadvantage as far as keeping up with the classes goes. Personally, I'm intimidated by the bunch of you ;) I think you are all great!

Honestly, I think people are crazy if they think younger applicants have a better chance than "older" applicants. I will be 22 in July, applying for my first time, and I feel like you guys have a lot of advantages over me. You have had more time to get experience, complete pre-reqs, and just life experience in general. I think "non-traditional" students are in a great place for applying and I certainly wouldn't say they have any disadvantage as far as keeping up with the classes goes. Personally, I'm intimidated by the bunch of you ;) I think you are all great!

One year younger and in total agreement.:thumbup:

Oh no I love this school. ;)

Blacksburg is a self-descried drinking town with a football problem - what's not to like about that? :D And other than being absolutely rabid about giving back to the community that supports them (our Big Event program is second only to Texas A&M - the school that created it), the students at Virginia Tech are making huge efforts towards sustainability and "living local," so there's a really unique "hey, this is legitimately Blacksburgian" vibe to the whole place.

The entire school is getting updated starting this summer - we have a beautiful new Infectious Diseases building and I think to help prevent the rest of the school from looking like the afterthought, they've decided to just renovate the whole place. New labs, new classrooms, new offices - new equipment, new shiny toys. :)

And regarding exotics - have you looked at the classes for the Public/Corporate Track? There are reptile/bird/ferret/etc track classes in there. And the PC club (I've forgotten what its true name is off the top of my head) includes zoological and wildlife animals in its focus.

What the place truly lacks is a solid marketing department. People in my interview crew were a little miffed at how much the school DOESN'T talk about itself; they save all that for Prospective Student's day, which makes very little sense because that's usually for people who've already gotten in, and they're not necessarily the ones who need to know all this.

So don't be too bummed. It's a great place. ;)

VMRCVM should pay you for the the PR you do for them. You have made me so excited to be going there in all of your awesome posts! Can't wait to be a Hokie!!!

Hey folks above for whom VMRCVM is your IS- it was my last choice school (of the 3 that I applied to) during the app cycle until I went up there for the interview. Blacksburg is beautiful and the people were soo nice and genuine. It's true that the school doesn't do a lot to brag or showcase the program, but in retrospect I like the low key approach. I would have liked a tiny bit more of a pre-interview presentation, but overall they sold me. I particulary liked the MMI interview format. Now, I would (almost) turn down my IS for VMRCVM if I got called off the waitlist-and money is the only reason I say almost.

Good Luck to everyone applying this year! Even though it is a crazy journey, take time to enjoy the ride. And don't worry about crying a lot. I cried the whole time I wrote my PS, like sobbed, for days, every time I sat down to write it.

Good luck to everyone!

30+ also. I think I'm better prepared at this age than I ever was in my 20's! :cool:

I leave this Sunday to complete a 2 week externship with Carolina Tiger Rescue (super excited about that!)!

You are going to LOVE it!!! Ive been an animal care volunteer at Carolina tiger rescue for a year!!! I won't be there for this summer :( but you will love it! Get ready to butcher some deer :laugh: seriously though, best experience of my life, made a big part in my PS and essays this year and shaped an interest I didn't even know I had :love: Have so much fun!!!!